As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Teach me how to Photoshop

sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, I promised myself I'd draw every day. And you get to keep me accountable!

Today's drawing (1 hour, from photo reference)

0518_final.jpg

Process in spoiler
0518_1.jpg
0518_2.jpg
0518_3.jpg
0518_4.jpg
0518_5.jpg
0518_6.jpg
0518_7.jpg

So I need to be more particular about proportion, clearly. Also, I need to learn to make my forms more 3 dimensional. I'd also like to make my lines more confident in general. Give me advice plz? :D

http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
sabyul on

• ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    You gotta study anatomy more. Elbows are fucked at the biceps. Knee is too big.

How many photoshop layers are you using here?

Obs on
  • sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Each one of those is a layer, 7 if I remember correctly. I didn't really use them for much other than being checkpoints to possibly go back to, though.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not to bad for early stuff, I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to do everything in photoshop. You'll learn much faster using a pencil and sketchpad, mainly because it's super portable and you can draw anywhere.

Confident lines are a result of lots of practice, so the more you do the better you will get. Try the head studies found in the loomis books (downloadable from the front page on the Q&A thread). They'll start you thinking more about construction, which is good area for understanding 3-dimensional forms.
    Each one of those is a layer, 7 if I remember correctly.

I see absolutely no reason for having 7 different layers for this, two (one for the figure and one for the background) would be sufficent and will stop you interuppting your workflow to switch layers.

Mustang on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    You'll learn much faster using a pencil and sketchpad, mainly because it's super portable and you can draw anywhere.

Yes.

NibCrom on
  • sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Word. I'm drawing more in real life, but as I don't have a scanner or digital camera or anything, I'll get back to you guys later.

sabyul on
  • thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The head looks much larger than it should, especially if you're going for heroic proportions

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you suffer from the same problem i used to (and still do :)) where you don't establish the underlying structure correctly. Though based on this, its obvious you're just really starting to draw (seriously anyway), i think that really forcing yourself too consider the structure will help so much. The process you posted doesnt really show any refining to that structure, and as a result, though your rendering skills arent too bad, the overall picture looks wrong. i think if you consider that more, even if your image is still wrong, it will look much better just for the fact that there has been some consideration.

Try the Loomis boooks. They are really intense, but work well. And when you get too fed up with those i think you should try some Burne Hogarth books. They are the same principles, but i find them easier to follow. Google the name and you should find some PDF downloads of his books.

*hope this makes sense. Im running off 3 hours sleep last night.

BTW i do like the picture. I laughed at it. It seems to come across as the dumb kind of hero, that everyone thinks is some legendary warrior.

winter_combat_knight on
  • FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do I see balls??

Fuzz on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    your starting on photoshop to soon, its a very veryyy unhealthy habit that I see done a lot. Basically if you understand shadow in a normal pencil/charcoal drawing, you'll understand a normal drawing in photoshop. It's kind of like trying to learn to draw from painting... Painting is not only more expensive but it takes longer to make one thing. Photoshop may be able to GO relatively fast if you just use line, but at the same time its so easy to erase and manipulate and such that it doesn't really teach you the thinking skills you gain from just drawing first on normal paper.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I posted this before, maybe it will help you get started. However I agree with what has been previously stated, anatomy studies would help you drastically.

Linked (Due to the size)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/gr4phic4rt/Barbariantutorial2.jpg

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson