As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is Savage Dragon now, or has it ever been, interesting or relevant? It's one of those comics that I've known about seemingly forever (probably thanks to the animated series), but never cared about one way or the other.

If Savage Dragon is your favoritest book ever, and I just mortally wounded you with my words, please forgive me. The book is so barely on my radar that I was curious if it was just me, or if no one else knows/cares about it either.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does anyone know what happened to Fear Agent? It seems like it has been a really long time since the last issue. Is it on hiatus?

Pretty sure Remender said that it was going to be put on hiatus now that he's Marvel exclusive and doesn't have a lot of time to work on his own projects. Something about wanting to have say a 6issue arc finished before they put out the first part.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if the reader is as bad as they're free reader, I don't see why anyone would pay for it.

It's such a shame, too. I'd probably be using their paid service if the reader wasn't such ass, and I'm sure that many feel the same way.

Slicer on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yep, I'm the same way

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a question regarding DC's Animal Man solicitation. In it, they say that;
    Animal Man had an affair with Starfire

When did this happen? Context behind it, if any?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I have a question regarding DC's Animal Man solicitation. In it, they say that;
    Animal Man had an affair with Starfire

When did this happen? Context behind it, if any?

That mini is seemingly set in the future, and one would expect the event you're talking about to occur in the pages of that mini.

Buddy did express an attraction to Starfire in that Countdown mini they were in, but he was rebuffed.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh shit, really? They never did anything in 52, and Countdown to Adventure according to Wikipedia shows it as being nothing more than his wife thinking there was something up.

Beechen did write the story though, so who knows.

I've never followed Animal Man, but he was supposed to be the good family man, right? Is that not acceptable now in the DCU if you're a hero?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it was kind of weird that Buddy was totally faithful even when he was stranded in space with a clothing optional alien nympho, but suddenly found himself conflicted once he was back on Earth.

Animal Man probably shouldn't be touched by anyone but Grant Morrison.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yea, this was pretty much what I wanted to know. I didn't remember any hanky panky happening during 52/countdown...so I guess this happens in the mini, which if it does, it's just silly that it's already been spoiled.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Reading the solicit for Punisher #8 I totally forgot how 616/Marvel Knights/MAX continuity all relates to Punisher. I say that because it mentions
    Microchip being involved in the arc, and I know he's dead in MAX. I can't recall whether he's dead or alive in 616. Any help?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MAX is out of continuity, that's why you don't see any Marvel heroes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I think Punisher MAX exists in a sort-of-canon world. I think
    Microchip in the 616 universe has been brought back somehow by the Hood.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    anyone know anything about this?

It's nearly 500 pages at less than 20 bucks, I'm tempted but leery.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think Punisher MAX exists in a sort-of-canon world. I think
    Microchip in the 616 universe has been brought back somehow by the Hood.

actually micro died in 616. a shield agent killed him after micro attempted to replace frank with a different punisher. that's presumably the micro brought back by the hood.

the micro in the MAX series was killed by frank himself and remains dead. also, MAX isn't in 616 continuity, though nick fury does make a couple significant appearances in the course of the book.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Right. I couldn't remember because I thought they've all kind of referenced each other whenever it suited the story.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I've seen a scan of Fin Fang Foom talking in third person, but I haven't read anything with him in it.

Does he always/usually do so or does it vary from writer to writer?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Virral isn't sure

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Furu believes that Fin Fang Foom's portrayal has been inconsistant since forever so it's hard to tell.

Furu on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why does DC take so long to release paperbacks? I just noticed the softcover for Booster Gold Vol. 1: 52 Pick Up was just released this week. But the hardcover was released May 20, 2008! Is this normal?

I just don't like hardbacks that much unless they're huge, but it seems silly to wait so long for a softcover.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It is normal and it is stupid. DC tries really hard to get people to pay the extra cash for hardcovers by delaying the softcover release to the point of near irrelevancy.

Marvel is much better at releasing their collections.

Rans on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's not even a matter of the money, I just like having softcovers that can bend I and I can read easily. Fix this, DC!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I own exactly three hardcovers and refuse to buy more.

Green Lantern: Last will and Testament of Hal Jordan because I didn't know any better at the time that it would probably come out in softcover. I was new to the whole collections thing.

Green Lantern: Rebirth because I wanted to get back into collecting GL immediately after a few years hiatus and didn't want to wait for a softcover.

Pride of Baghdad because I wanted to support Vaughan.

Rans on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm assuming that DC's stance on hardcovers is why I can't find The Spirit vol.2 (the second part of Cooke's run) outside of hardback ANYWHERE. Or was it released in softcover in a incredibly tiny run?

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm assuming that DC's stance on hardcovers is why I can't find The Spirit vol.2 (the second part of Cooke's run) outside of hardback ANYWHERE. Or was it released in softcover in a incredibly tiny run?

Pretty much. It looks like the hardcover was released in October 2008, so maybe October of this year?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »

Pretty much. It looks like the hardcover was released in October 2008, so maybe October of this year?

Yeah, I've been following their trade dates. It's normally 12 months exactly, but sometimes it can be 11 or 13.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I've been picking up trades for a while, collecting a few series I like, then buying the event books. For example I am working on all the post dissasembled avengers trades, I picked up house of M, civil war, secret invasion, and messiah complex. What are some good trades that tie into the consequences of Messiah Complex, and is Brubaker still writing any of it, because damn that shits good?

Also, I heard something about an Wedon Astonishing omnibus, is that coming true? I have most of it in issues, but I'd like a collection to fit in the missing pieces.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Also, I heard something about an Wedon Astonishing omnibus, is that coming true? I have most of it in issues, but I'd like a collection to fit in the missing pieces.

Can't say for sure if they're making 1 single omnibus but right now there are 2 hardcovers that contain the entirety of Whedon's run.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So does anyone think that Millar gets Doom, or the Fantastic Four in general? Because I don't.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So does anyone think that Millar gets Doom, or the Fantastic Four in general? Because I don't.

What's he getting wrong?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

What's he getting wrong?

You mean besides being completely defeated the last two arcs? Not to mention the ridiculousness of a "grandmaster" training Doom that was "the first supervillain".

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

Yeah, I've been following their trade dates. It's normally 12 months exactly, but sometimes it can be 11 or 13.

The funny thing about this is that the third volume by Sergio Aragones is already out in softcover. I've seen it in nearly every store when I was looking for volume 2.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009

What's he getting wrong?

You mean besides being completely defeated the last two arcs? Not to mention the ridiculousness of a "grandmaster" training Doom that was "the first supervillain".

I don't think it's far-fetched for Doom to have had a teacher of some sort, but if the arc doesn't end with Doom himself betraying the Marquis of Death (stupid name), then it will be fair to say Millar has missed the mark entirely. Doom's well past the point of being deferential to anyone.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

What's he getting wrong?

I don't think it's far-fetched for Doom to have had a teacher of some sort, but if the arc doesn't end with Doom himself betraying the Marquis of Death (stupid name), then it will be fair to say Millar has missed the mark entirely. Doom's well past the point of being deferential to anyone.
    I think I'm just hung up on how poorly the guy has been built up. Seriously, the Marquis of Death? That's something an eight year old would think up. (Yes, eight year olds have heard of marquis(es?). Like the Marquis de Lafayette)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Technically there should be someone ranked higher than him if he's only a marquis. He's probably not a literal marquis, of course, but the name is still inappropriate and was probably only chosen because it sounded fancy. It's certainly not something a person like that would choose for himself.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Course, Doom isn't a real Doctor either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He has an honorary doctorate from Latveria U

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    He has an honorary doctorate from Latveria U

Should that be Mr. Doom?

doom.gif

JoeUser on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got to thinking earlier, this might be a stupid discussion.

Two questions:

Just how fast would Storm be having to make the wind under her be to actually support her weight, let alone when she carries people?

Shouldn't a bird fly under her and get vacuumed straight up because of the wind? Why doesn't this situation occur?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    eh, it's the same sort of thing as bruce banner weighing 98 pounds (or whatever) and the hulk weighing like a thousand pounds. where does all the extra mass come from? comic-book-scienceland is where.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    While I was looking through my trades to see what I could put up in amazon, I came across an old (early 2000's?) Elektra trade written by Greg Rucka. The basic gist of it was that this group of rich people that had had run ins with Elektra kidnapped, and one of them basically made her see that at her core she was just a murderer.

So she suddenly starts to wear white and gets trained by some old woman in the inner city. The guys with tattoos on their faces wearing robes stalk her, kidnap the guy that started all this(who it turns out was in love with Elektra), and at the end of the trade she ends up killing him and the robed guy.

It sort of felt like this was just leading somewhere, as the guy that was in loved with her died really quickly and without much ado. But I don't think it was ever followed up. Am I wrong?

noir_blood on
This discussion has been closed.