As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GOP: Internet Forum Is Liberal Echo Chamber

Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/05/19/steele-resign/

Will he actually do it? Will anyone care if he does, since he's already a figurehead? Will he go semi-crazy and run against Barb Mikulski next year? Will he ever pull his head out of his ass?

Captain Carrot on

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Please don't quit! Token Steele is the anti-thesis of Dr. Dean. Dr. Dean got the Democrats a super majority, Token Steele is leading the reich-wing GOPigs to permanent minority status. I love this man!

I don't even know where to begin with this, so I'm just gonna let it sit.

JustinSane07 on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The speech he's giving right now doesn't sound like a resignation. It sounds more like a half-assed call to arms with unfunny jokes about Dems thrown in.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    He has to know he's a figurehead already. This is probably just an attempt to stave off whatever bullshit new "checks-and-balances" they're trying to foist off on the "colored chairman."

necroSYS on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    Aren't you supposed to threaten things that are actually bad? Not like, "If you don't do what I want, I'm going to give you a bag of cash and a Swedish supermodel! I'M NOT JOKIN' MAN DON'T FUCK WITH ME."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • postinonthenetspostinonthenets Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He isn't even a figurehead. Hes a laughing stock.

postinonthenets on
    Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return

Twitter
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Aren't you supposed to threaten things that are actually bad? Not like, "If you don't do what I want, I'm going to give you a bag of cash and a Swedish supermodel! I'M NOT JOKIN' MAN DON'T FUCK WITH ME."

He's appointing Keyes in his place.

kildy on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In related news, all GOP members wishing to speak in public or to the media must report for mandatory surgery first. They will have their vocal cords replaced with a radio received hooked up to the Rush Limbaugh network.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't have anything to say about his resignation, but I love my new sig.

Speaker on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    He's appointing Keyes in his place.
    Don't even joke about that kinda shit.

GungHo on
    edited May 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

The screwed up quote tag is very meta.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You'd love it even more with a [ near the end.

Captain Carrot on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh that is some delicious irony

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

The screwed up quote tag is very meta.

It's symbolic of the mess the GOP itself is in. Like improper BBCode, they have a beginning but no real focus on the ends. They tote the party line but know nothing more of want than 'more power'. And like a missing QUOTE, this echos back to their whole statement, marring and and making it laughable. Or something.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited May 2009
    He's definitely calling for moderation of the crazies.

That's practically a resignation in and of itself.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I call it first if he leaves he will either put out a rap record or become a black version with a smaller johnson of Ann Coulter

Jokes aside I believe the GOP will want this and I know there is a push for Rush to get that appointment (The end for sure?)

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I, for one, do not want to see Steele resign.

It just increases the chance we get a competent chairm...Err, a less hilariously bumbling chairman chosen merely for the color of his skin.

The Muffin Man on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

pfft

Goddamnit, I shouldn't be drinking when I look at Steele quotes.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Horus wrote: »
    I call it first if he leaves he will either put out a rap record or become a black version with a smaller johnson of Ann Coulter

Jokes aside I believe the GOP will want this and I know there is a push for Rush to get that appointment (The end for sure?)
    If Rush becomes RNC Chairman I will fucking dance naked in the street.

The Muffin Man on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Horus wrote: »

If Rush becomes RNC Chairman I will fucking dance naked in the street.

NOT ENOUGH LIME. NEED MORE LIME. TRUCKLOADS OF LIME.

Captain Carrot on
    edited May 2009
    I loved the aspect of the speech that this is the end of the era of the GOP apologizing for shit. Because if there's one thing they've been doing too much of, it's apologizing for shit. I mean it's hard for me to watch the news with how much time they devote to republicans saying they're sorry.

Also: Keyes/Palin '12.

kildy on
    edited May 2009

It just increases the chance we get a competent chairm...Err, a less hilariously bumbling chairman chosen merely for the color of his skin.

He just finished his speech with the phrase "saddle up."

I'm not sure whether to cringe or cheer.

OptimusZed on

edited May 2009

Uh, what? If he resigns, they'll probably appoint someone who's even more likely to kowtow to the far-right. Steele's one of their last, best hopes for relevancy in the next decade and we've all seen how well that's gone.

necroSYS on
    edited May 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »

Uh, what? If he resigns, they'll probably appoint someone who's even more likely to kowtow to the far-right. Steele's one of their last, best hopes for relevancy in the next decade and we've all seen how well that's gone.

He's really not moderate, he's center-INSANE.

kildy on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rush as Chairman of the GOP brings to mind Kerghit Raiders (mongols) in mount and blade, rushing toward my 2 rows of archers and crossbowmen, who are armed with these

edit: too cute

RoyceSraphim on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kildy wrote: »

He's really not moderate, he's center-INSANE.
    That makes him a moderate by comparison to the rest of the Republican party.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man... the only person capable of replacing the characticture that is Steel is Yosemite Sam... and I heard he became an independent.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2009
    So, out of curiosity, am I the only one who would prefer the GOP become sane rather than increasingly unhinged? De facto one-party rule isn't all puppies and blowjobs.

ElJeffe on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, out of curiosity, am I the only one who would prefer the GOP become sane rather than increasingly unhinged? De facto one-party rule isn't all puppies and blowjobs.

I'd prefer something completely new. Let the Repubs become a fringe party and give rise to something else. After all, nothing spells success like coalition governments.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2009
    I want to see them head right until they fall off the edge of the earth. That should leave enough room for a party of sane moderate conservatives to fill the vacuum.

But mostly I just want them to burn.

OptimusZed on

• TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I gotta say,

0130steele.jpg

Always reminded me of:

012706_8.jpg

Both in style and substance.

Tach on
    edited May 2009
    Anyone wants to bet on whether Steele really resigns? He is already a figurehead, he was elected for no reason but to be a figurehead, and now he's threatening to resign if he becomes a figurehead... that's like someone fighting hard to get a job at McDonnalds then threatening to resign if he's ever asked to make a hamburger while making 10 burgers a minute. It's nothing but attention-grabbing cheap talk that he'll never follow through on.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2009

I too would like to see an actual GOP instead of the power hungry little kids wharrgrrbbllling all over the place. Some republican ideas are actually good for the country. But right now there doesn't seem to be anybody coming up the ranks that's actually sane and competent. And the outspoken leaders of the republican party seem to see it as a good idea to keep it that way.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I'd like to see it. I just think it's going to be a while. We have to wait for the madness in the party to run it's course and eventually they will snap out of it. But we've moved far enough right of center that I think a couple of terms of Dems controlling things will get us back to a more center course.

Thomamelas on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Problem is, Steele has no real support from within his own party to implement his idea's, nor the Balls to uphold his convictions.

If he had actually had the fortitude of will to not apologize to rush and said "No, Rush is an idiot Who is utterly detatched from any of the problems facing the majority of americans and only represents the folks who will always vote republican. Seriously, FUCK HIM" Then the reublicans might have pulled there heads out of there asses and noticed that hey, Neoconism is currently political toxic waste, and looking to the middle is what is needed to salvage the party.

Gaddez on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Hi5!

mcdermott on
    edited May 2009
    How do you see the Republican party coming back to sanity? The way I see it, the more the crazy far-right wing of the party gains power, the more moderate voters are turned to independents or Democrats and the more moderate elected Republicans are voted out because of their party's bad image. And the more moderate voters and elected Republicans are out of the party, the more power the crazy far-right wing gets. It's a vicious cycle, and at each iteration it leaves the party smaller and more crazy. I don't see any way for them to break out of it.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    At this juncture, It might be best for the moderate republicans to split off and form there own Conservative party; the stink of the bush regime and current insanity may be too much for the party to recover from in any sort of a timely fashion.

And frankly, the democrats do need strong opposition, since having such will make them fight harder and be better to reigns of power. Otherwise, I forsee a day when the democrats become as insane and corrupt as the Gop was during the bush era.

Gaddez on
    edited May 2009
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Problem is, Steele has no real support from within his own party to implement his idea's, nor the Balls to uphold his convictions.

If he had actually had the fortitude of will to not apologize to rush and said "No, Rush is an idiot Who is utterly detatched from any of the problems facing the majority of americans and only represents the folks who will always vote republican. Seriously, FUCK HIM" Then the reublicans might have pulled there heads out of there asses and noticed that hey, Neoconism is currently political toxic waste, and looking to the middle is what is needed to salvage the party.

hence the
    and we've all seen how well that's gone.

necroSYS on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    but acting like that's going to happen now is just delusional. Theyre gonna need to spend some quality time in the wilderness first.

geckahn on
    edited May 2009

I'd prefer sanity, I just don't see it as a likely result of the current course of events. It would be preferred, but I see DADT being repealed and a pentagon sponsored jazz-tap your way to peace in the middle east department forming before the GOP figures out that they're not going to wrap the value on marginalized and come out a supermajority. Intelligent Design implies input sanitation.

kildy on
This discussion has been closed.