As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]a-[Chat]a-[Chat]a-Pon

1343536373840»

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    I might be in the Seattle area this weekend.

Maybe.
    Too bad. Elkamil and I will be in Portland this weekend.

Dang. Well if I do end up down there I will have to see what Passer and Incenj are up to.

James on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Curse of the Golden Flower was a meaningless film.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Maybe.
    Dang. Well if I do end up down there I will have to see what Passer and Incenj are up to.
    I'm so sorry.

Thanatos on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    played Age of Empires II again

it has been a while

trebuchets are where it's at

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    That was kind of the point.

Thanatos on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Monster Rancher had an awesome theme song, awesome fights, and was just generally awesome. The one thing that ruined it was the ending, which was such utter bullshit I refuse to speak of it.

I can't remember ever seeing the ending, really

my point was that the game was fucking awesome

until I got Monster Rancher my sister saw the playstation largely as a way to get rid of me

after she saw how awesome it was she would wait until I was done playing for the day, then grab a handful of her music CD's and bring them to the playstation, searching for a potential contender to defeat my super-agile gel monster

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hakkekage wrote: »

it has been a while

:O

videogames

Sarksus on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

it has been a while

more like tres bienchets am i rite

Senjutsu on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've never ranched any monsters.

You guys are weird.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    stilist wrote: »
    That was kind of the point.
    How so?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Res wrote: »
    I liked the Monster Rancher show more than Pokemon because the former continued to be about monsters beating the shit out of each other while the latter turned into (and dragged the game with it) OMG BFF's

I played Pokemon Blue like a son of a bitch and Gold to a lesser extent but for the above reason never bought a pokemon game after that (also the pokemon became increasingly lame as they added more)

Monster Rancher though when I finally get a DS the first thing I'mma do is buy a Monster Rancher game for it

Piplup is better than anything Monster Rancher has ever done.

Frosteey on
    edited May 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    My quickest buy and sell-back was Lost Odyssey

I think I had it for like 48 hours

: (

I bought Mass Effect with the money

much better choice

Senjutsu on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

it has been a while

more like tres bienchets am i rite
    moon language

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

much better choice

Don't you know that game sucks, Senjutsu. Apparently.

Sarksus on
    edited May 2009
    if you faggots start talking about digimon I swear to god

Senjutsu on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    dude I did not know sensible hatred of facebook quizzes was such a turnon

Medopine on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Maybe.
    I'm so sorry.

I'm sorry you'll be in Oregon.

James on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    800px-Bakken_entry.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was thinking of looking for Soul Nomad but I dunno

Elendil on
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

You guys are weird.

My gel was so awesome

he'd, like, stab you a bunch

then when you lunged at him he'd turn into a flyswatter and squash you

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You guys are weird.

*alien gibberish*

I don't think we got this here.

I've never even heard of it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited May 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

much better choice

Don't you know that game sucks, Senjutsu. Apparently.
    well it did kind of suck

I mean it was weird, it was fantastic if you did no side quests and increasingly shitty the more side quests you subjected yourself to

it was like a road paved with awesomness that was always offering you off-ramps into a shit-swamp

Senjutsu on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    Senji's.

20050304h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    I've been playing games with Gabriel for, oh, I'm going to say eleven years now - and not until Devil May Cry 3 have I seen him raise the controller back and hurl it across the room. It is because of this that I offer an olive branch to our ideological opponents who claim that videogames are instruments of unalloyed evil. I am willing to allow that gamers are more prone to violence so long as we agree that this violence is largely directed against peripherals.

Speaking of which, it looks like the memo went out and now we're in for more of that down-home violent videogames coverage. I didn't pay a lot of attention initially when I heard that young geniuses in Latvia, which I guess is a country(?), employed a deadly "scissor technique" supposedly culled from Mortal Kombat to kill their friend, who they then dumped in the river. I could think of no symmetry between the river dumping and Mortal Kombat, but then Gabriel reminded me that is actually one of Liu Kang's fatalities in 3. So, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I guess they were drinking a lot or whatever, but it was totally games that did it. Especially since, you know, the alternative is to take full responsibility for your actions toward other people, and that doesn't really sound like good times.

On my daily swing 'round online comics, I see that Scott VGCats is providing a rebuttal to an article on CBSNews, and I'd love to see what he's trying to dismantle so I head over there. It's pretty amazing, but it's not anything we don't know about already - it's this Jack Thompson guy again. He is essentially the Bob Greasy of this story, and this is not the first time he's iterated this schtick. RegularX from the EvilAvatar forums has what political blogs refer to as a "Fisking" of Thompson's diatribe here. The "hook" of the Thompson interview is that two voices from the gaming community will respond, and Scott is one, but Tim Buckley from CAD already has his response posted. I'm relieved that they did not ask me, because the comic that we do is not evidence of a mind untainted by violent media.

I have to be frank with you and say that I'm not capable of responding to that thing point by point. Physically capable, probably. I could go through it and I'm not unfamiliar with language so I could do my fancy thing. However, the man is essentially building his legacy on the broken bodies of desperate teenagers. Countering the man rationally will serve no purpose, the imagery is too potent. I'm powerless to dissect a sermon like that, simply because the task is so vast. There are a hundred ways his piece dissembles, exaggerates, omits key points, or relies on flourish and appeals, but his motif is perfectly packaged for media. The man spins at ten thousand RPM.

Henry Jenkins needs to go on tour.

Of course, in the face of such a perilous medium, desperate actions must be taken and my state of Washington is leading the charge. The bill in question holds the "makers and sellers" of violent games culpable for any acts minors commit which are based on their content, even in part. So that is essentially the most vague assertion in existence. Even in part? It would be one thing if they were calling out all forms of media, and if the spectre of that violence is as vast and grim as they claim it's the only responsible thing to do. If it were about protecting "the young," that would be the response.

I can't prove it, but I have a hunch that it isn't even the "incidents" that have inspired this "movement." I'm fairly certain that these people are simply the new PMRC. It is my uneducated supposition, as I have made clear, but I have a sense that the violent incidents are incidental to their purpose, and that it is the content of this media - like it was the content of comic books, or role playing games, or devil rock music - that makes it so despicable.

(For purely Trivia purposes, i.e. if you are on a quiz show and the topic for that day concerns my computer, I am overjoyed to inform you that my issues have been resolved in their entirety. I appreciate very much the four-hundred and three helpful tips, which could easily be collated into an authoritative day calendar. I am, however, sorry to say that the solution did not even require the distributed wisdom of the readership, and I hope I have not squandered my access to it - using one of my three wishes to ascertain the time. No, I just needed another Goddamn card. I was a little disappointed that my foe was not more elusive. As it stands, this was like finding some mythical, supposedly vicious quarry curled up adorably on the porch. One can certainly claim victory but one cannot feel victorious, if you get my meaning.

(CW)TB out.

i've got the honky-tonk hiccups

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.