As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How good is the 1000HE for watching video? I basically want to get a netbook for web surfing at school, but I am not sure what else I can do with it...

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Works just fine on YouTube, etc. I've never tried watching a DVD-iso, though...

GPIA7R on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DVDs work fine, Youtube works fine, but Youtube HD is bad.

Have not tried 720p files in Media Player Classic though.

donhonk on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've done two separate installs of Win7RC1 on my 1000he, reenabled the camera (and bt) in the bios and still can't seem to get the camera to work. Whats really weird is that it shows as functioning in the device manager. It does not show up under the devices and printers applet.

Any ideas as to what I can do to get this working or a useful way to test it?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's weird. I installed it on my woman's 900 and it works just fine.

LaCabra on
    edited May 2009
    Only thing keeping me from putting Win7 on my 1000HE is I don't plan on buying it when the RC is up... at least for the netbook. I just imagine the hassle of reinstalling the original WinXP to be too much.

That, and I've already got Ubuntu 9.04 on the 2nd 80gb partition.

GPIA7R on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can someone recommend a good app for partition management thats vista (and hopefully win 7) compatible?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good app for partition management thats vista (and hopefully win 7) compatible?

Boot from a GParted live USB stick.

Daedalus on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So how are Eee PCs and other netbooks as programming platforms? My needs aren't great, since I'm new and just out to learn, but I'd hate to regret a $300 - $700 purchase because, say, the keyboard is too cramped or the screen is too small.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2009
    So how are Eee PCs and other netbooks as programming platforms? My needs aren't great, since I'm new and just out to learn, but I'd hate to regret a $300 - $700 purchase because, say, the keyboard is too cramped or the screen is too small.

My Eee 901 works pretty well for the task. Eclipse runs great, and I hear MSVS does as well. If you really have trouble getting used to the keyboard you can always use an external USB one for heavy typing.

Daedalus on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The big problems are going to be the small screen or the keyboard. I haven't had issues with the keyboard but the screen size can get annoying...

but both of those can be rectified, and for portability it is awesome.

Tomanta on
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, guys. I'm not working with my right mind tonight, apparently.
    Daedalus wrote: »
    My Eee 901 works pretty well for the task. Eclipse runs great, and I hear MSVS does as well. If you really have trouble getting used to the keyboard you can always use an external USB one for heavy typing.

I'm glad you mentioned this specifically. The Eee 901 has my attention, primarily as the only Linux-equipped netbook available at NewEgg.

I swear, I turn my back for 6 months and all of a sudden every netbook is a Windows unit.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2009
    Well, Linux (unlike WinXP) is easy as hell to install from a USB stick anyway.

but yeah, Microsoft is practically giving away WinXP licenses to anything they consider a "netbook", so they swung back to using Windows primarily now that the license isn't the single largest line-item cost of materials on the damn laptop.

Daedalus on
    edited May 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Well, Linux (unlike WinXP) is easy as hell to install from a USB stick anyway.

That's a good point. So many things to consider, and I've let my computer thinking skills atrophy. Is it plausible to grab a 1000HE and just install Linux on that? Because it looks pretty sweet.

Silas Brown on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Windows 7 is pretty damn easy to install from a USB stick as well, and way faster than XP, at least on a 30GB 900 (i forget what letter you put after 900 to denote the 30GB hard drive.)

LaCabra on
    edited May 2009
    Yes.

As easy as that, eh? I'll try to do some more research; for some reason my Google-Fu is failing me.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2009
    The Eee forum is pretty handy, so I'd check it out.

Improvolone on
    edited May 2009
    Awesome; thanks for the tip. :)

EDIT: Woot Woot! Finally worked up the nerve and ordered an Eee 1000 HE! This thing can show up soon enough :O

Silas Brown on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Well, Visual Studio 2008 Express runs great on it. The initial load/initialization of VS 2008 is kind of slow but once it loads, it runs great. I don't find typing to be a problem, even on a bus. I built a small app on the bus ride to work a few days ago.

(This is on a 1000HE.)

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe someone can help here...

I have a 1000HE. I've read, though the info is scatterbrained, that you can somehow "hack" it to use proper 4:3 aspects. I know mine does 4:3 stuff stretched or compressed but I want to be able to run certain fullscreen things with bars to get a natural scale.

Anyone know if this is really possible?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited May 2009
    Use the built-in screen resolution thing, down by the clock. It'll offer the much higher resolutions, rather than using Windows to do it.

GPIA7R on
  • LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Use the built-in screen resolution thing, down by the clock. It'll offer the much higher resolutions, rather than using Windows to do it.

Should be a blue taskbar icon with Intel in the tooltip title, as long as all netbooks are still using the same Intel graphics chipset. Look for the "Force/Maintain Aspect Ratio" option.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey guys. I've been thinking about a netbook for a little while now, but the range is so overwhelming that I'm not sure where to start, or where the sweet spot of bang-for-buck is. I'll probably mostly be using linux, where the most heavyweight app I'll be using would be Eclipse. I'll probably install Win7 in case I need MSVS in the future too. I've got a reasonably hefty desktop where I do most of my 'serious' work. All I'm going to use the netbook for is a bit of coding/note taking/web browsing while I'm at uni/work. For this reason I'm not going to need a whole lot HDD space since I won't be keeping any media on there (40GB would probably be plenty), and the processor only really needs to be fast enough that it's not a noticeable hindrance when working in something like MSVS.

I'm a bit hesitant about the small screen and keyboard, but a friend of mine with a 7" assures me that you get used to it pretty quickly. Still, I'd like to go with something at least 9" or so. I'll probably be immediately ridding myself of the bundled OS so I'd rather not get WinXP if it's going to nudge the price up. The 1000HE that everyone seems to love is ~$620USD here (yay New Zealand), which is more than I'm really willing to pay. Especially since it looks like it totally surpasses my needs anyway.

Any suggestions?

edit: After looking at Amazon's prices I think it'd be smarter to pick one up and have it shipped. Anyone know of any other online outlets with competitive pricing that do international shipping?

exis on
  • TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm leaning towards the 1000HE myself, the 10" screen resolution of 1024x600 is imo, the perfect trade-off between ultraportability and screen real-estate to run programs like Office on. I used a 13" desktop monitor for years before I upgraded to a whopping "15'er, so I'm use to working in a low resolution environment. Also you can work in full-screen mode on most programs pretty well these days, the 600 vertical resolution isn't that big of a hassle.

Triko on
    edited May 2009
    I got used to my 9'' on my 901. I would however suggest the 1000HE. Could you use a NA model in NZ?

Improvolone on
    edited May 2009
    I got used to my 9'' on my 901. I would however suggest the 1000HE. Could you use a NA model in NZ?

I can't see why it would be a problem. I'd need an adaptor for the charger but I think I have one lying around anyway. The only issue might be support, but ideally that wouldn't come up.

edit: Ah, Amazon won't ship laptops to NZ. I'm guessing it might be similar elsewhere if that's a restriction imposed by the manufacturer.

exis on
  • KrayzieKrayzie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, so I've been holding off on that 1000HE I was going to get for about a month now, sort of hoping to find something with a little more power/style. I think I might have found it with the Dell Mini 10. It looks great, but there are some things that make it different from the 1000HE that I don't know how to interpret.

-CPU: Intel®Atom®Processor Z530 (1.6GHz/533MHz FSB/512K Cache)
    Is this better or worse than the N280? They have the same clock speed, but that seems to not have mattered since the days of P4 processors (it's been awhile since I got a new Computer).

-LCD Panel :10.1" HD Widescreen Display (1366x768)
    This is a slightly higher resolution than the HE, I really just wanna know if anyones seen what the resolution looks like on a screen this small.

-Video Card: Intel®Graphics Media Accelerator 500
    How does this compare with the HE?

I'm going one or the other later this week, so anyone who can help me would be my favorite person on the internet.

Krayzie on
    edited May 2009
    exis wrote: »

I can't see why it would be a problem. I'd need an adaptor for the charger but I think I have one lying around anyway. The only issue might be support, but ideally that wouldn't come up.

edit: Ah, Amazon won't ship laptops to NZ. I'm guessing it might be similar elsewhere if that's a restriction imposed by the manufacturer.

I don't know if it would be worth it, but I'm sure if you trusted anyone round here they can be your go between,

Improvolone on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Krayzie wrote: »
    Man, so I've been holding off on that 1000HE I was going to get for about a month now, sort of hoping to find something with a little more power/style. I think I might have found it with the Dell Mini 10. It looks great, but there are some things that make it different from the 1000HE that I don't know how to interpret.

-CPU: Intel®Atom®Processor Z530 (1.6GHz/533MHz FSB/512K Cache)
    Is this better or worse than the N280? They have the same clock speed, but that seems to not have mattered since the days of P4 processors (it's been awhile since I got a new Computer).

-LCD Panel :10.1" HD Widescreen Display (1366x768)
    This is a slightly higher resolution than the HE, I really just wanna know if anyones seen what the resolution looks like on a screen this small.

-Video Card: Intel®Graphics Media Accelerator 500
    How does this compare with the HE?

I'm going one or the other later this week, so anyone who can help me would be my favorite person on the internet.

The mini 10 is a disaster supposedly. I would not get it.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So when are other companies going to upgrade their netbooks? The 1000HE has been top for soo long and it is so bland looking. Personally, I think the Mini 9 or the HP are the best looking netbooks and can't wait for them to get some upgrades.

Has there been any word about the ion platform in netbook form? I was reading an article on anandtech about the desktop versions and it looked very promising. Would lose some battery life, but for portability and media center, it would be worth it.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    So when are other companies going to upgrade their netbooks? The 1000HE has been top for soo long and it is so bland looking. Personally, I think the Mini 9 or the HP are the best looking netbooks and can't wait for them to get some upgrades.

Has there been any word about the ion platform in netbook form? I was reading an article on anandtech about the desktop versions and it looked very promising. Would lose some battery life, but for portability and media center, it would be worth it.

Well, I read that Intel is trying to limit the potential for Netbooks, because Atom chips are not as profitable as a fat Core2duo. That's why companies like Samsung are using Via chips in their 12" Netbooks - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131031&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Netbooks-_-SAMSUNG-_-34131031

The NC20 looks damn nice, but for $550, is a bit prohibitive.

Triko on
    edited May 2009
    exis wrote: »

I don't know if it would be worth it, but I'm sure if you trusted anyone round here they can be your go between,

I do have someone I could get to ship it onwards for me... I might have to look into it. I haven't been following the evolution of netbooks. Is the 1000HE really that superior to it's predecessors, eg. the 9" models?

exis on
    edited May 2009
    Well, 160GB vs... 20?

Improvolone on
    edited May 2009
    Well, 160GB vs... 20?

I'd rather the 1000HE come with an option for a SSD, 16-32GB or so. It's a Netbook, I don't plan on loading the thing with games or movies, who needs all that space? 16-32GB is enough to load a web browser and some office suites, if you need more space for storage pop in an SDHC or something.

You can install an SSD yourself though, but I'd rather have the option of buying one new with the SSD...as well as 2GB of RAM.

Triko on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quick question; Could a 1000HE, or whatever's currently the 'best' model out there, run Lightroom worth a damn? It's hardly a dealbreaker, but I've been considering having a decent photo workstation with me, instead of just a writing/web-browsing/classic-gaming machine, and it would certainly be a nice bonus.

yalborap on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Triko wrote: »
    Well, 160GB vs... 20?

I'd rather the 1000HE come with an option for a SSD, 16-32GB or so. It's a Netbook, I don't plan on loading the thing with games or movies, who needs all that space? 16-32GB is enough to load a web browser and some office suites, if you need more space for storage pop in an SDHC or something.

You can install an SSD yourself though, but I'd rather have the option of buying one new with the SSD...as well as 2GB of RAM.

I know a lot of people who have much more than 32gb of stuff on their netbooks (usually music or movies being the bulk, but software in general using up a decent chunk of it). I think it should definitely be an option, though.

Personally I'd pick 160gb platter over 32gb SSD if I were grabbing a netbook today.

Ego on
    Erik
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My friend has a 16GB SSD and he told me he really wished he had more room, which was a major reason I got the 1000HE. Really happy with it so far.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Well, 160GB vs... 20?

See... I have my iPod with me for music. And if I really cared at all about something portable for video I'd want a much bigger screen. The vast majority of my used hard drive space would be OS's. I could probably store all the files I would need in a couple of gigs, at most. Even then stuff that I'm not working on at the moment would probably be moved onto my desktop anyway. Basically the extra hard drive space holds no extra appeal for me.

I'm just curious about the big draw for the 1000HE, because the difference between 10" and 9" EEE's over here is about $200USD.

exis on
    edited May 2009
    I think the 1000HE also has longer battery life.
    But the 901 is smaller and probably lighter. Hell, I got a 901 because I wanted an exercise is small.

Improvolone on
This discussion has been closed.