As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish they'd just do a straightforward manga adaption. I need some animated Kotaro awesomeness.

Yeah, even in that new short he was only in it briefly I think. The first series they made was just so bizarre and didn't really start touching on the action side of things from the Kyoto arc.
    Why they decided to kill the biggest supporting character off at the end I have no idea.

Kelor on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    I wish they'd just do a straightforward manga adaption. I need some animated Kotaro awesomeness.

Yeah, even in that new short he was only in it briefly I think. The first series they made was just so bizarre and didn't really start touching on the action side of things from the Kyoto arc.
    Why they decided to kill the biggest supporting character off at the end I have no idea.

I never got that either. Akamatsu's mangas get reamed in the anime department.

The First series was just bad. Not only the ending but overall.

Neo is okay but it's not really Negima ,it's Paniponi Dash with a slightly more coherent narrative. It's so different they did a manga adaption for it.

I don't think we'll ever get a 1:1 adaption.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, I own both seasons of Negima on DVD, but my life is kind of in a transition phase right now and I've been unable to watch them.

I still want to know which is better and if one is less creepy than the other.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    You know, I own both seasons of Negima on DVD, but my life is kind of in a transition phase right now and I've been unable to watch them.

That's easy.

The one that mentions Star Crystals on the summary is the good one that isn't completely disturbing. It's title is "Negima!?"

Both have fanservice but the second series does the Sailor moon soft light deal so it's not as overt.

King Riptor on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's easy.

The one that mentions Star Crystals on the summary is the good one that isn't completely disturbing.

Both have fanservice but the second series does the Sailor moon soft light deal so it's not as overt.

Season 2, then.

I've got a feeling that before this is all over, I'll have to burn season 1 and scatter it to the winds.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2009

That's easy.

The one that mentions Star Crystals on the summary is the good one that isn't completely disturbing.

Season 2, then.

I've got a feeling that before this is all over, I'll have to burn season 1 and scatter it to the winds.

It made japanese fans uncomfortable. That's quite a task.

King Riptor on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Was the anime any worse than the manga in regards to the fanservice?

LockedOnTarget on
    edited May 2009
    Season 2, then.

It made japanese fans uncomfortable. That's quite a task.

I bailed after I think the third episode and read a summary.

The original series is just....yeah.

Kelor on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow. So Negima is as creepy as I've heard.

Synthesis on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait.

Normally the anime is tamer then the manga. What the heck did the animators do?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wow. So Negima is as creepy as I've heard.

The manga is a harem series that turns into a pretty great action comic after the first two volumes.

The first anime avoided the action as much as possible in favour of the girls.

Both pretty much ignored the source material after it drastically reduced the fanservice.

Kelor on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay so I'm a couple pages late but Lemming can go fuck himself, Steve Blum as Leeron was awesome and the dub for Gurren Lagann is alright, despite the Japanese voice actors turning in some unbeatable, unforgettable performances

Also fun fact: Leeron is already a walking stereotype, the lisp was just the cherry on top of the big lady-shoe-wearing, makeup-having, guy-flirty Gay Sundae that was Leeron

And I thought he had kind of a feminine voice in the Japanese version anyway, but then most every dude from Japan has a feminine voice so it's hard to tell if it was intentional or not

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Okay so I'm a couple pages late but Lemming can go fuck himself, Steve Blum as Leeron was awesome and the dub for Gurren Lagann is alright, despite the Japanese voice actors turning in some unbeatable, unforgettable performances

Also fun fact: Leeron is already a walking stereotype, the lisp was just the cherry on top of the big lady-shoe-wearing, makeup-having, guy-flirty Gay Sundae that was Leeron

And I thought he had kind of a feminine voice in the Japanese version anyway, but then most every dude from Japan has a feminine voice so it's hard to tell if it was intentional or not

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Leeron's original voice is Japan's version of the stereotypical effeminate gay guy.

Cantide on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6EO4_1t8qc

Jragghen on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Steve Blum can be my baby daddy any day

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I always have the urge to punch someone who speaks with that damned lisp, sexual orientation be damned. You know that whining, nasal voice that Fran Drescher speaks with (or at least used to)? The lisp is even more annoying than that.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What what I heard about the two Negima series, after the first one Akamatsu pretty much went to the animation studio and said "Wrong. Do it again. Properly this time." Or at least somebody did.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited May 2009
    What what I heard about the two Negima series, after the first one Akamatsu pretty much went to the animation studio and said "Wrong. Do it again. Properly this time." Or at least somebody did.

:^:

I'm pretty sure the dude isn't ripped enough for that role though.

They certainly did better with the second one, but it went off on some weird ass tangent.

Kelor on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

They certainly did better with the second one, but it went off on some weird ass tangent.

Hell I'd do it for him free of charge if it made it possible to see an Evangeline who was actually terrifying instead of just some loli-fantasy.

Falx on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I don't think I've ever been more impressed with Steve Blum than with Leeron. Not only is he playing completely against type, but he manages to maintain Leeron's intelligence and insight even with the camp gay thing going. The subs of course managed to do the same thing of course, but it was just a very nice and natural transition between languages.

Plus, he's playing against type and all.

When everything's said and done, I was actually quite pleased with the dub. The only real problem I had with it was their pronunciation of "Simon", but by the end I wasn't particularly bothered by it. The manly yelling still wasn't quite as good, but that's because nobody can shout as well as the Japanese VAs for Kamina and Simon. Dear god in heaven.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Falx wrote: »

Hell I'd do it for him free of charge if it made it possible to see an Evangeline who was actually terrifying instead of just some loli-fantasy.

Well, they kind of switched studios. The first series was done by Xebec, who brought stuff like ToLOVEru into existence. The subsequent series and OVAs were all done by Shaft, as you can tell from the crazy cuts, patterned backgrounds, and use of symbols in place of characters.

The problem with doing a proper anime adaptation is the same problem as convincing someone to pick up the manga: they'd have to go through all of the stuff at the beginning. I guess this is why they've resigned themselves to just pumping out OVAs once in a while.

blkmage on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It was bad. Leeron had charm as he was before.

Now with this voice he's just a painful-to-listen-to blatant stereotype.

No, it's bad. So bad.

The Japanese voices fit so much better.

Especially for Kamina and Viral.

What the hell was the thinking?

"This character is meant to be effeminate. He needs a lisp, of course, or no one will know!"

He was kinda one in the first place.

I mean, the sexually ambiguous appearance, overly feminine mannerisms, and, lastly, the official theme for him in the full size OST consisting entirely of funky music and a robot voice spelling out letter-by-letter the message:

spoilered for mildly NSFW(?) text
    "Leeron is gay. He is so gay. He loves asshole. Asshole"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited May 2009
    Zampano wrote: »

I don't think I've ever been more impressed with Steve Blum than with Leeron. Not only is he playing completely against type, but he manages to maintain Leeron's intelligence and insight even with the camp gay thing going. The subs of course managed to do the same thing of course, but it was just a very nice and natural transition between languages.

When everything's said and done, I was actually quite pleased with the dub. The only real problem I had with it was their pronunciation of "Simon", but by the end I wasn't particularly bothered by it. The manly yelling still wasn't quite as good, but that's because nobody can shout as well as the Japanese VAs for Kamina and Simon. Dear god in heaven.

Apparently it really is is "Shimon," despite common US spelling. It's an actual, if perhaps uncommon to us, name and a directional pun

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lanz wrote: »

No, it's bad. So bad.

"This character is meant to be effeminate. He needs a lisp, of course, or no one will know!"

I mean, the sexually ambiguous appearance, overly feminine mannerisms, and, lastly, the official theme for him in the full size OST consisting entirely of funky music and a robot voice spelling out letter-by-letter the message:

hahaha what?

And yes, Simon is pronounced as such to preserve the pun.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited May 2009
    Lanz wrote: »

No, it's bad. So bad.

hahaha what?

And yes, Simon is pronounced as such to preserve the pun.

NSFW Audio

EDIT: just look at the screencap they use for him.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Zampano wrote: »

The guy voiced Guilmon and a creepy little goblin thing from W.I.T.C.H. He's got two types, one hyper-manly badass and the other so far from hyper-manly badass you couldn't see it on a map.

Incidentally it is very creepy to see him switch between the two voices in mid-sentence.

Rust on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Steve Blum Has a bit more then two types..

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Huh.

Ai Senshi translates to english surprisingly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzETpugsaYI

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited May 2009
    Falx wrote: »

To be fair Eva is probably more perverted than the Lolicons.

King Riptor on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Steve Blum Has a bit more then two types..

He's staring at me, I would like him to stop.

Rust on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Hate to break it to you bud, but Leeron was a pretty stereotypical-sounding JAPANESE gay man.

EDIT: Beat hard like Leeron's ass on a Saturday night.

DarkPrimus on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My favorite Blum voice is Orochimaru. He just absolutely nails it.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited May 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Hate to break it to you bud, but Leeron was a pretty stereotypical-sounding JAPANESE gay man.

the song clearly implies it'd be the other way around :wink:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yeah, I noticed how similarly he and Bobby from Macross Frontier talked. Plus, add in Jann's voice from the Japanese track in Valkyria Chronicles.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My favorite Blum voice is Orochimaru. He just absolutely nails it.

Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just finished Wikipedia arc in OP.

Do they ever explain who the ghost was that fixed the ship?

Also the moon, seriously?
    I was also right about rubber kicking Enel's ass, but that was pretty obvious.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yes they do but not for a while.

And yes, the moon, seriously.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited May 2009
    I'm rather enjoying that trend with Bobby and Leeron where you have horribly fruity stereotypes who are also incredibly competent, and also in the case of Bobby, incredibly badass.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

They explain it near the end of the Enies Lobby arc. And it's awesome.

Yes, it is silly.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It doesn't help that Leeron is so radically different from the rest of the 'I will punch you in the face so hard your ancestors feel it' male cast. He's probably the only one who's literate before the time skip (Well, him and the Old Man, who can do anything).

I've always wondered, was the Old Man ever explained at all? Because it seemed like they were implying there was more to him than meets the eye, especially during the bit just before
    she gets rescued from the armadilo general by Simon.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!