As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Blighting of Kroburrow

191011121315»

• Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dirk moves up to the Skull guy and aims a powerful overhead blow at it. Unfortunately, the massive axe rakes the wall and loses all momentum before hitting the the hooded antagonist, inflicting no damage.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Round 6.1
    “No matter! They were but puppets. I am Dulengras’ true champion and I shall bring him back to this world. He shall burn the living from the lands and we shall raise them as an undead army to storm the heavens and take what should be ours!”

The man’s speech has grown strange and slurred his cool calculating nature seems to be giving way to the demonic force contorting his body.

He swipes at Thorn with his large blackened claw before stepping back and releasing gout of red black flame. The claw swings wide of the warden as the now demonic visage of a man has electricity surge into him from the druid's attack, but the flames still singe Thorn's fur and burns his skin.
    Actions: Map:
    2954ydv.jpg
    Stat Block:
    Gwim 30/40 HP - AC:19 F|R|W:14|18|19 PP|PI:12|17 - HS:2/7 Effects: +1 AC
    Darthan 26/42 HP - AC:18 F|R|W:16|15|20 PP|PI:25|17 - HS:8/9
    Dirk 43/49 HP - AC:18 F|R|W:19|14|13 PP|PI:18|11 - HS:6/11
    Skull Lord 55/72 HP - AC:22 F|R|W:19|20|21 PP|PI:16|16 Effects: Immune to disease and poison; Resist 10 Necrotic; Effects: Vunerable 5 radiant
    Mhen 29[3]/43 HP - AC:16 F|R|W:16|13|18 PP|PI:27|22 - HS:8/10 AP:1
    Thorn 42/52 HP - AC:22 F|R|W:19|15|17 PP|PI:21|15 - HS:5/11 Effects: Relentless Panther (+2 Reflex), +2 All Defenses
    Z1 - DEAD
    Z2 - DEAD
    Z3 - DEAD
    Zombie Minions - DEAD
    Notes:
    C6 - D7 Are impassable and stand 4 feet high (enough to provide cover).
    EDIT: Forgot Darthan’s effects. Post has been updated.
    Pending: Mhen
    Next Up: Thorn

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Next Up: Gwim

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I moved to D2

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I moved to D2
    Sorry about that. I'll correct it in the next updaed map.

Next Up: Gwim

Dajian on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gwim hurls a glob of purple acid at the demonic skeleton and shouts, "Here's mud in your eye! Well, blindingly hot acid, but you get the point!"

Acid splashes against the enemy, melting most of its upper chest away.
    Acid Orb (1d20+8=27, 1d10+12=22)

Maximum damage!

Dragonflame Mantle and Goblin Tactics are still in effect.

cytorak on
  • Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darthan lifts his staff up as the storm cloud vanishes. Lightning strikes the staff originating from the dying storm cloud, charging the druid's next attack. Slamming his staff into the ground, the lightning is released towards his enemy. Unfortunately, the skull lord is nimble and he easily jumps to the side causing the bolt to strike the wall behind him. Darthan mutters a curse under his breath.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Every time my turn comes around, the little voice in my head sings "Jump through the portal Jump through the portal"

Dirk steps closer to the skull lord. He strikes yet again with his axe. This time the axe embeds itself in the undead with a sickening crunch.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I believe the Skull Lord has 1 hp left (if my addition is correct). So close to finishing him off... again.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Every time my turn comes around, the little voice in my head sings "Jump through the portal Jump through the portal"
    Jump through the portal! Jump through the portal!
    The portal shut after transferring the demonic energy to the Skull Lord, but man I was hoping one of you would try that before it closed... so much pain.

Also I'll post for Mhen when I get home from work. He should be able to finish the fight and I need to get back to my notes for the aftermath.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Staggering from the flurry of blows dealt by the Bone Eagles the Hooded man doesn’t even notice the spirit bear reappear next to him nor does realize it will be the end of him. Tock swipes at the man from behind crushing the bones in his neck.
    The abomination falls to the floor lifeless, flat, and unmoving. Within seconds his body decays before your eyes turning the floor into the now common sight of the blight, but only moments later the blackness turns to a rich vibrant green and small plants seem to blossom from within.

Encounter Complete
    Everyone receives combat XP and Quest XP enough to bring you to level 5.

Passive Perception: The bodies of the slain undead have decayed and returned to dust. Where the hooded man has fallen there is only the ripped remains of the man’s cloak and a small black leather bound book.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Excerpts from the journal:

Dunarc of Kleghelm approached me again today about joining the cult. He is too eager and would reveal too much, but stringing him along means we get his father’s money. Soon we will have the components for our ritual to communicate with the Great Underlord.

It seems Dunarc was more useful than I thought. Not only was his money used to by the components his still beating heart provided the last piece of the ritual. I swear I saw him smile as we cut it out. Perhaps he would have been more loyal than I thought. Regardless the ritual was a success! We received instructions on a temple in the North West of Kroburrow from which we can find a more reliable form of communication with the Great Underlord.

It was a long journey and many of us died during the trip. The savages of this land seem the perfect dupes for what we have planned. Dulengras (I am still not used to addressing him by his hallowed name, though he insists.) says that we must infiltrate the villages and infect them with a toxin he has informed me how to make. It will be dangerous. It will be tied to my very soul. He says the darker my soul becomes the more potent it will be and has instructed me to begin my decent. If I had reservations it is too late for them now.

The things I have done. The things I have done. I am unsure if I am human anymore. My skin grows tight and my mind is always focused on death. The images are destroying my sanity.

Blood, sinew, guts, and gore these are my life now all I know are the pleasures of pain. Dulengras will come and he will raise me to such heights. All will be ours. ALL WILL BE OURS!

He says they come. He says they have disrupted the ritual and that if I am to be his chosen one then I must protect his temple and return to my work.

They are here. The Bastard Bone Eagles. They have ruined me, but I shall open the portal wider than before and I will beg for my master’s aide!

Passive Insight: You realize that this man was the lynch pin to bringing the blight into Kroburrow and with him destroyed the blight should subside. If the effect seen here when he died is any indication Kroburrow will flourish once more.
    This will be the end of the adventure for our primal heroes. It has been an honor to DM for you and I hope you have enjoyed it.

I may start up another campaign in about a month. If I decide to keep it in the realm of Kroburrow you all will have first dibs at the spots.

Feel free to RP out the aftermath of the battle or even all the way back to your home tribes. After everyone has added their piece to close out the story I’ll add an epilogue in.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Darthan looks to the spot now green with growth where the man had died.

"Well, my friends, it seems as though we may have found the cause of the blight and stopped it. I will travel back to Willoan to inform Kavah. If any of you wish to join me, you are welcome to. The elders can read the journal as we have and consider what our next move shall be." Darthan stops for moment, acquires the journal and looks back to the Bone Eagles. "It has been an honor serving with you all. Hopefully, our paths will cross again." Darthan nods to his companions, turns back and heads out the cave towards the Willoan tribe to report his findings.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The goblin does a little jig after the skull man falls. After his impromptu hoe down is over, he straightens his cloak and nods. "I've had a blast traveling with you guys. If you ever need a place to crash, come see me in Jhobleuth territory." He waits to see what the others decide to do before leaving the cave and heading home.

Gwim enters the village Pahp-Pahp, where Arcissa sits in the village strumming her lute. When she sees Gwim, her face lights up. "Well, how'd our golden boy do?"

Gwim laughs and blocks out his next sentence with his air with his hands "Arcissa, I've got four words for you: Bone Eagles Rock Opera!"

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    "Phah. This was easy." The Bearman says, "And it's all thanks to me. My brother will be so jealous. Gentlemen, it was a pleasure serving with you. I shall be returning to Willoan, to revel in my glory."

Dirk swipes his fur of the ghastly remains and sets out towards open air.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dajian, thanks for the awesome adventure. I had a blast. Hope you do continue this cause I would like to see what's behind all this.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the game. I'll look forward to submitting a character in your next game

Hermenegilde on