As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NHL 10 - Want to join the league? PM Redfield by Thursday.

• CrystalMethodistCrystalMethodist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Regularly.

CrystalMethodist on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If they are doing that, I would work the puck to the points and walk in with one of your dmen. Take some nicely placed snap shots (just flick up) or wristers (pull left/right and flick up). I would go for low shots. I think they would have a better chance of getting to the net (pucks can go through legs, not bodies).

Let me know if that helps. If not I can whip up some other strategies for you.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • CrystalMethodistCrystalMethodist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can you explain your offensive mindset, so to speak?

Like, let's say you're chilling with the puck, not a rush, with all 5 guys in position. What reads do you make on the defense? What holes do you try to open up, and how? What common responses do you see when you try certain attacks, and how to do you respond?

I know that's really vague, but I'm just trying to get a feel for offensive tactics in general.

CrystalMethodist on
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When they camp guys in front of the net, I do one of two things:

1) I give the puck to the point and fake a slapper to make a Dman go down, then fire it low, hoping for a rebound.

2) Pass it to a winger and walk as close as I can and fire a quick wrist shot, again, hoping for a rebound.

As you see, much of my scoring seems to depend on rebounds.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • mclay8823mclay8823 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't think you scored any rebound goals on me in our series, Frank. Haha.

Then again, you didn't have to because Brodeur just deflected your shots into his own net. That was awesome times about 4.

mclay8823 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited May 2009
    I had plenty of rebounds... like the Series winning goal when Havlat shot it then got his own rebound and housed it!

I go for them, but that isn't the way I usually get it in. Ask anyone who plays me, I score most of my goals on the initial rush. If I don't score and get possession, then I cycle to the points.

Actually in game 2 last night, Sharp's goal was a rebound from a point-blast during a PP.

EDIT:

CCF, I'll be around tonight if you want to do two more. If I am not on, post here. Maybe Redfield will see it and text me :)

EDIT 2:

Actually I'll be at the batting cages for a little tonight, practicing for my upcoming Softball Season. Will you be around maybe 9ish? Or maybe even 4-4:30ish.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Added my name to the Hotsteppers spreadsheet. Should be on late tonight.

Amphetamine on
  • CCF23CCF23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm around now for a couple hours. I won't be on tomorrow until probably about Saturday. Going to my girlfriend's place.

CCF23 on
    CCFForum-Sedan-2-2.jpg
    edited May 2009

I sent you an invite in-game to join the team. The thing is, we rarely play Hotsteppers anymore. We are leaning toward Online Team Play (OTP) nowadays. Just shoot us a message on Live or post a message in here to let us know you are hoping on.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2009
    puffycow wrote: »
    I had plenty of rebounds... like the Series winning goal when Havlat shot it then got his own rebound and housed it!

I'm assuming you're joking. That was not a rebound...that was one of those stupid EA glitches where the goalie just stops a weak puck that is rolling towards him instead of gloving it. You jumped in there and flung it over his shoulder. That isn't a rebound goal, it is a glitch goal...although not really a dick one cause I can't really blame you for going for it. Just sayin. It was really a poor/unfortunate way to end the series.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited May 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

I sent you an invite in-game to join the team. The thing is, we rarely play Hotsteppers anymore. We are leaning toward Online Team Play (OTP) nowadays. Just shoot us a message on Live or post a message in here to let us know you are hoping on.

I'm failing to recognize why OTP is better than Hotsteppers. Maybe I'm just dumb, but please enlighten me, Sir Lev.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mclay8823 wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

I'm failing to recognize why OTP is better than Hotsteppers. Maybe I'm just dumb, but please enlighten me, Sir Lev.

so far my experience is what Red has claimed. OTP is more people just looking to play hockey and have fun without cheating/glitch goals and such. Hotsteppers as we all know you have to defend against the crease pass on every attempt down the ice and then get burned on the glitch wrister to be shown how much of a noob you are by a team with racist slurs or weed references on their jerseys.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited May 2009

I'm assuming you're joking. That was not a rebound...that was one of those stupid EA glitches where the goalie just stops a weak puck that is rolling towards him instead of gloving it. You jumped in there and flung it over his shoulder. That isn't a rebound goal, it is a glitch goal...although not really a dick one cause I can't really blame you for going for it. Just sayin. It was really a poor/unfortunate way to end the series.

That isn't a glitch goal. The puck comes in on the goalie and he fails to cover it.

A glitch goal is:
    -curve shot
    -wraparound slapshot
    -going behind the net, back and forth, waiting for the goalie to be out of position
    -going straight to the net from the goal line
    -continuous crease pass one-timers

Yes, the AI has trouble here and there, but shit happens. It isn't a glitch as much as it is your team being out of position to stop the bad rebound.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2009

I am pretty sure the definition of a rebound is when a puck is shot, the goalie saves it and does not control it, and then the puck it picked up by the opposing team again. That seems to be what happened.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rebound

rebound
    8. Ice Hockey. a puck that bounces off the gear or person of a goalkeeper attempting to make a save.
    so far my experience is what Red has claimed. OTP is more people just looking to play hockey and have fun without cheating/glitch goals and such. Hotsteppers as we all know you have to defend against the crease pass on every attempt down the ice and then get burned on the glitch wrister to be shown how much of a noob you are by a team with racist slurs or weed references on their jerseys.

Agreed. No one worries about stats and records so the inkling to cheat isn't as large.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Okay, so you're being a smartass. According to your logic, the curve shot is just a wrist shot from the point and is not a glitch at all. Same goes for the wraparound slapper and everything else Cody mentioned for that matter.

Everyone here knows exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes the goalie decides to be a moron and just stop the puck and let it sitting there in front of him even though the defending forward is coming straight for it. That player can then just deflect the puck right in the net. It happens a lot.

Frank, that is how you scored your GWG in our game 6. It is a flaw in the game and I've seen people use it as a glitch goal online. It was not a rebound goal...it is a dumb EA mistake.

Again, I'm not trying to say you did it on purpose or cheated...it's just part of NHL 09. It happens...as unfortunate as it is.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited May 2009
    Everyone here knows exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes the goalie decides to be a moron and just stop the puck and let it sitting there in front of him even though the defending forward is coming straight for it. That player can then just deflect the puck right in the net. It happens a lot.

That is called a rebound. And if the opposing team puts it in the net it is called a rebound goal.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2009
    I've seen people fire a shitty shot from the point to make a rebound, yes. But I was in the slot, and I fired a hard rights at his left leg to make a rebound... thus rebound goal.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Cody, your sarcasm and total ignorance of my explanations is not constructive at all. Please just stop.

And, Frank, we both know it wasn't a rebound goal...

Do me a favor. One of you find me a video where the puck rolls to the goalie, who just stands there with it in front of him for a few seconds and waits for the other team to just come down the ice and flip it in the net. Not a rebound that he is scrambling for. The goalie should have plenty of time to control the puck, but instead just leaves it sitting out in front of him like an idiot allowing for an easy crap goal.

Anyone else care to chime in on this? I know you've all seen this happen. I've seen it at least 20 times. I can't believe you two are actually being so stubborn about this when all 3 of us know exactly what I'm talking about.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited May 2009
    OTP around 9 est tonight. I will post in here then and send messages to all that are on Live.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2009
    I know what you are talking about. But the fact that the goalie didn't scramble doesn't dilute the fact it was a rebound, no matter how mentally handicapped your goalie acted.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Translation: I agree, Mike. It is a glitch in the NHL 09 programming and needs to be corrected so as to make the game more accurate. I have a small penis. Love, Frank.

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited May 2009
    Not really :)

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Pouches 12Pouches 12 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ill be on tonight, tulips

Pouches 12 on
  • Pouches 12Pouches 12 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    just talked to cody....me and him are jumping on otp soon like around 730 if anyone wants so lick a ball sack

Pouches 12 on
    edited May 2009
    But its now 8 and you arent on slut

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm in a fucking hotel in fucking Morgantown ... this fucking blows

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited May 2009
    On now for OTP if anyone is interested.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would but I gotta get those other league games done. Gonna play DWD, then Pondash, THEN if your still on, OTP.

remlap13 on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just finished 2 more EA IS AWESOME games.

6-3 against diedwithdignity
    3-1 against P0ndash

Great game btw P0ndash. Very stressful at the end.

remlap13 on
    edited May 2009
    Yay OTP. The LA Kings blow, but we scored 2 goals in the last 15 seconds to tie the game.

One of the Flyers (our opponents) goal was a pass from a teammate sitting in the crease that was nudged in and another was a slapper from the point that I should've had. I had a really amazing toe save in the final minutes of the third (when it was 2-1) which let us be able to tie the game.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2009
    Admit it, I am the best Defenseman ever :P

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited May 2009

I thought were supposed to admit that you were the rebound glitch king

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited May 2009
    Nice!

(I don't get it)

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited May 2009

It is called a glitchbound. Duh. Get it right.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited May 2009

I'm a Grinder.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited May 2009

I'm a Grinder.

I'm a Hoagie
    I'm a Submarine
    I'm a Hero
    I'm a Po' Boy

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited May 2009
    I hate all of you.

Moody, Shut up and trade me Girrrrrrroux

mclay8823 on
    Mike Clay - mclay8823

Fantasy Depth Chart

mclay8823.png
    edited May 2009
    I hate all of you.

did you send any offers? I haven't checked.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited May 2009
    I hate all of you.

did you send any offers? I haven't checked.

I'll give you Freddy Meyer for Giroux.

And it is called a Hoagie.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gravvvvvv you are onlliiiiinnnnneeee and you won't plaaaaayyyyyyy meeeeeeeeeeeee

WilDPanthA05 on