As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture is boss (images)

• Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Some random buildings around my apartment

I live a block away from this area, which...if you guys don't know...we turned our downtown into a pedestrian area, with parking garages and stuff scattered around the fringes, and it's super fuckin' rad. I spend all of my money on food and drinks every month. All of it. :\

Exterior_F_1.jpg

Here's a picture I actually took. Same area...

1d7f15fd2cb8c5a7c94cf1f9e8600841.jpg

2548809992_d7a15bf89b.jpg

166124933_a8a7cabb76.jpg

2590752510_1a78e54b38.jpg

68032673-b5fc-465f-a517-49e0fcbf33f5.jpg

So, yes, I live in Iowa. No, it doesn't suck.

Iowan's are incredibly nice, as midwesterners are, and it's amazingly relaxed.

Oh, Iowa City is also one of the best literary towns...in the world... <3

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Geez! Nice pod design, Frank Lloyd Wrong."
    Sealab_2021_The_Policy_2002_4.jpg

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait the second last photo of Iowa City is flooded.

Iowa City is great guys, except for the floods!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wait the second last photo of Iowa City is flooded.

Iowa City is great guys, except for the floods!

Ha, I wrote 'Flood flood lol' after that pic but I accidentally deleted it in an edit.

Yeah, we had a "once in 500 years" flood a year ago...

340x.jpg

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It actually looks quite nice.

Too nice if you ask me...

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited May 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It actually looks quite nice.

Too nice if you ask me...

I don't know what you're talking about
    sssds.jpg

ssssu.jpg

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    20061012_denverartmuseum.jpg

this is the denver art museum. the best part is that it looks like some sort of bizarre optical illusion when you're driving towards it from a particular street.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It looks like it wants to stab me in the eye.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The day there is an earthquake and that long pointy bit snaps off and cuts some poor fuckers in half will be a weird day.

Also, I like art deco and also old-school. How old school? Flying buttresses old school...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There is no way I would ever go to the top of this building
    Al_Burj.jpg

That is ludicrous.

The Nakheel Tower, if they decide to continue construction, will be 4,593 ft. tall.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »
    And supposedly Howard Roark was based off of Frank Lloyd Wright, but I refuse to research it because that is a terrible discussion for another place.

For all the things Ayn Rand got wrong, I think her opinion on architecture was right

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    t longbaugh: Liebeskind is a one-trick pony.

here's the new wing he designed for the Royal Ontario Museum
    P1010974.jpg

Also something that most people don't consider about FLW's stuff: Houses aren't designed to last for more than about 50 years. He was a fine designer and an adequate engineer. The materials are just not up to the demands of existing for such a long time. It doesn't help that a lot of places are poorly maintained.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    if im gonna make my own house im carving it out of a block of granite and fuck how it looks this is generations to come type housing

actually fuck that ill just move into a cave and steal electricity from whoever lives around

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    vrst wrote: »
    beef wrote: »

Yeah, I considered posting that. I don't really buy into conspiracy theories, but that building is strange enough to earn them, I suppose.
    fshavlak wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of gehry. I like cool buildings, but only when there aren't obvious functional sacrifices made for aesthetics.
    Except that the point of them is that we make a lot of assumptions about "obvious" functionalities that aren't necessarily true.

Thank you.

Also, I don't even get "functional" point in architecture. If we would go for something as theoretical and abstract as "function", all buildings would be concrete blocks.

And even on a lower level, I much prefer aesthetics over function. A lot of old houses, for instance, have all kinds of funky corners and odd shaped walls which aren't functional, but it would be oh so nice to live in them.

This also holds for other design areas: I recently bought a coffee table worth about a month salary for me, and it is not nearly as functional as a cardboard box. But it makes me much happier than a cardboard box, because I thoroughly enjoy its aesthetics every time I'm in the living room.

Bottom line: rethink "functionality"

These are all fair points. I think I may have worded my statement badly. Taking Gehry as an example - he builds wacky and interesting buildings, but I get the feeling that his buildings are designed by coming up with a cool form and then fitting a building into it. I feel that he also creates his design with the attitude that structural mechanics exist to figure out how to realize his design, not to impose constraints on it. Whether this is admirable or not is debatable, but it led to MIT suing his firm over problems with the building he designed for them.

I'm not saying that aesthetics aren't important, and I'm a sucker for cool building as much as the next guy, but I don't like seeing aesthetics completely dominate all other considerations.

fshavlak on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also something that most people don't consider about FLW's stuff: Houses aren't designed to last for more than about 50 years. He was a fine designer and an adequate engineer. The materials are just not up to the demands of existing for such a long time. It doesn't help that a lot of places are poorly maintained.

What?

When I was a kid I lived in a house built in the very end of the nineteenth century, still standing fine, without structural renovation.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    But homes aren't built to last that long. For a house that old to be still standing without renovation is mostly a product of luck.

The monolithic nature of buildings tends to lead people to believe that they should be built to last for centuries at the least. While it's true that concrete and steel can stand for a long time, wood frame structures should be replaced every couple decades.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I suppose living in New England most of my life has given me a lot of circumstantial evidence to the contrary, but that's probably all confirmation bias.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kazhiim knows what's what. They may still stand but they are not really designed to do so, especially not any more. Things like the White House or other government buildings are designed to stand for centuries (hospitals and stuff are designed this way now, as well). Typical houses are not designed, built or intended to stand for more than about 50 years without major overhauling. This is a lot of why so many of the houses built right after WW2 are in such poor shape now.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Like I said, I'm sure it's confirmation bias.

There's a house in my town that was last remodeled around 1815-25, and was originally constructed a century earlier, but obviously there are plenty of other houses built in the same time period that aren't here anymore so I don't know about them.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    And they really shouldn't be built to last forever, anyway. Even if the structure lasts, the style may fade or advances in nonstructural components might require less space, and so forth. Relative to other buildings, a house is a transient thing.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Apologies for the bump, but I'm not sure this deserved it's own thread but it's still soooooo goood

Architecture Lego

Frank llyod Wright Lego
    lego02.jpg

ascot on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    House on the Rock is a place which I feel oddly obliged to visit one day. It's like a fever dream so intense it manifested itself into the physical realm, setting up shop in realities closest thing to Hell on Earth:

Wisconsin.

Spoiled for your fucking mind:
    hotinf.jpg

81381942.sAk0ezDl.jpg

35136264.pbase8190HouseontheRock.jpg

35136286.pbase8415HeritageoftheSeaBuilding.jpg

35136313.pbase8780DontknowwhatthisissupposedtobebutitsBIG.jpg

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    why does the frank lloyd wright guggenheim set have the shitty box that some other dude added to it

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's supposed to be the Guggenheim?

Dang.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Their Fallingwater is much better

lego_arch_fallingwater.jpg

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bet that thing costs something like fifty bucks.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You can't live in Legos, Teefs.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Don't come crying to me when you're dead by Lego.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Legos don't insulate

You'll die in your Canadian lego house

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    At least she'll have the coolest house on the block

mr-freeze-1.jpg

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I should not come in here when you are talking about lego. it makes me angry.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has the insulating potential of lego ever truly been researched

It could be the new space suit technology and we are blinded to its wonders by childish ignorance

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Silmaril wrote: »
    I should not come in here when you are talking about lego. it makes me angry.

haha

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wanted to post this before the thread died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shard

london.jpg

Now with the spanking new rail links going ahead in the city, The Shard can be built. And it's fucking hotsauce.
    Will be the one of the tallest buildings in Europe when finished, and is the first (and shortest) of a whole new set of skyscrapers planned for London.

London_2010_CityModel_jpeg_by_GMJ.jpg

Unlike every other major city, London can't really do that Manhattan Island look with the forest of tall buildings because of the landscape and density of urban housing. They're building on structures that are a thousand years old in some places, and you're never more than a mile from a listed building. Room for development is small. But with a whole new subway system going ahead, you can achieve it. Kinda exciting. Also, the Shard is an awesome name.

46LondonBridgeTower_pic11.jpg

I think it looks kinda cool. Better than Canary Wharf that's for damn sure.
    Though of course, it is about a third of the height of Burj Dubai. So it matters not to anyone living outside the city. Good to see London finally get its fucking act together and following Liverpool and Manchester's example.
    If anyone here is possibly gonna be coming over for the 2012 Olympics you'll see a lot of these buildings finished by then.

Speaking of which, this aquatics centre for the games is also architecturally nice. Though it is marred by the (imo) god fucking awful 2012 logo.
    Aquatics-centre-during-after-games.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, that logo is fucking horrible. Beautiful building though.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't know too much about England, but from everything I've heard following Manchester and Liverpool's example is a terrible idea.

Penguin Incarnate on