As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - More information about ME2 surfaces. FAQ in OP. Ashley still a woman.

• Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    I'm just saying that a spaceship without a space toilet is missing out on an entire comical subplot where Wrex gets his quadballs stuck in the space toilet and you have to rescue him

I'm picturing Lethal Weapon 2, only with Wrex and Garrett.

Udina: Diplomatic Immunity!

Wrex: It's just been revoked.

Ed321 on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    MASS EFFECT GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION

"Blue alien lesbians and twice as many bollocks as you would expect" - IGN

"Wow. This game has a lot of balls.' -PCGamer

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Cor guvna, this game 'as a lot o' bollocks!" - PCGamer UK

Havelock on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Ya der sure is a lot of ball sacks, eh? But its okay, live and let live I say." PCGamer CAN

edit- quick someone do IGN Aussie Land!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited May 2009
    Look what you have you started, Scarab.

Ed321 on
    edited May 2009
    "Crikey Bruce, she's a whoppa' ain't she?" PCGamer Australia

Havelock on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hilarious

Robman on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm just saying that a spaceship without a space toilet is missing out on an entire comical subplot where Wrex gets his quadballs stuck in the space toilet and you have to rescue him

Who is Garrett? Or are you proposing a cross between Mass Effect, Thief, and Joe Pesci?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2009
    I would watch the shit out of that movie.

Robman on
    edited May 2009

Who is Garrett? Or are you proposing a cross between Mass Effect, Thief, and Joe Pesci?

"The fuckin' Council was trainin' me to be one a' dem, but I had other plans, assholes"

How does one write like Joe Pesci?

Havelock on
    edited May 2009
    Step one: cut a hole in a box

Robman on
    edited May 2009
    :^:

Havelock on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

"The fuckin' Council was trainin' me to be one a' dem, but I had other plans, assholes"

How does one write like Joe Pesci?

Okayokayokayokay... Do I amuse you? Do I make you laugh?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh...truth be told, as far as Liara goes my problem doesn't so much lay with her as much as with Bioware tries to present. I mean it was so obvious she was nerdbait fanservice that I had to roll my eyes when talking to her sometimes.

Not to mention I'm kind of meh about the Asari as a whole since they're touted up as some big wise race in game, but spend most of the game being little more than pre-mentioned nerdbait. Basically, they came off as space elves.

Hopefully, they give Liara a bit more of a personality in the second one. That'd be nice.

I thought Liara was pretty cool, but then again I've never read any fantasy books outside of the Hobbit and the LoTR trilogy.

The Asari Consort, however, I hated.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • StormwaltzStormwaltz Beyond the Perseus VeilRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Personally, it was when she casually mentioned that she couldn't tell the aliens from the animals on the Citadel.

In retrospect, that line was a mistake. If I were able to do it again, I would have written something else. You're not the first person I've seen whose opinion of her turned on that one specific, off-the-cuff line.

However, what she was implying there (as gjaustin pointed out) was that if you saw a hanar on a street corner, would you assume it's intelligent? It's not wearing clothes. It's not holding or using any mechanical device. It doesn't talk, it flashes and glows.

You could go either way with a hanar, just as you could for a dolphin. Dolphins appear to communicate, but we define them as animals.

And as a final point:
    Imagine you've never seen either of these species before. Ignoring the human in one picture, would you be able to tell -- without going up and saying hello -- which is an intelligent species, and which is a beast of burden dressed by human handlers?

whatisit.jpg

Stormwaltz on
    edited May 2009
    Meh...truth be told, as far as Liara goes my problem doesn't so much lay with her as much as with Bioware tries to present. I mean it was so obvious she was nerdbait fanservice that I had to roll my eyes when talking to her sometimes.

Not to mention I'm kind of meh about the Asari as a whole since they're touted up as some big wise race in game, but spend most of the game being little more than pre-mentioned nerdbait. Basically, they came off as space elves.

Hopefully, they give Liara a bit more of a personality in the second one. That'd be nice.

I thought Liara was pretty cool, but then again I've never read any fantasy books outside of the Hobbit and the LoTR trilogy.

Why?

To me, all asari were pretty thin character wise. Well, except for maybe Benezia. They all tended to be pretty dull. Basically like the term Space Elf describes. Liara probably catches more than any of them simply because she pulls double duty as love interest and asari culture dispenser.

Shiala on Feros might be the least 'offensive', but then, she is placed in a situation where she has to act like a more-or-less real person.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2009
    Stormwaltz wrote: »
    Personally, it was when she casually mentioned that she couldn't tell the aliens from the animals on the Citadel.

In retrospect, that line was a mistake. If I were able to do it again, I would have written something else. You're not the first person I've seen whose opinion of her turned on that one specific, off-the-cuff line.

However, what she was implying there (as gjaustin pointed out) was that if you saw a hanar on a street corner, would you assume it's intelligent? It's not wearing clothes. It's not holding or using any mechanical device. It doesn't talk, it flashes and glows.

You could go either way with a hanar, just as you could for a dolphin. Dolphins appear to communicate, but we define them as animals.

And as a final point:
    Imagine you've never seen either of these species before. Ignoring the human in one picture, would you be able to tell -- without going up and saying hello -- which is an intelligent species, and which is a beast of burden dressed by human handlers?

whatisit.jpg

Well, actually the Elcor looks rather 'wise' to me, but could be A: Because his clothes don't say "World's greatest Circus!" B: Because I've already played the game, so I have no idea how I would've originally reacted. Your question would be better directed at people who aren't familiar with the game

Ed321 on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Man, how could I forget the Consort. The way everyone was fapping on about her in the beginning when you arrived on the citadel was pretty damn embarrasing. The first time I played through her quest line I basically saw her as a blue ms Cleo who gives you some pootang when you fail to be properly impressed with her great "insights"..

Silpheed on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »

And as a final point:

whatisit.jpg

Well, actually the Elcor looks rather 'wise' to me, but could be A: Because his clothes don't say "World's greatest Circus!" B: Because I've already played the game, so I have no idea how I would've originally reacted. Your question would be better directed at people who aren't familiar with the game

Nah, he makes a good point.

Citadel is a circus show of freaks. You don't really know what's what until you try to reason with it.

BlackDove on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Silpheed wrote: »

Man, how could I forget the Consort. The way everyone was fapping on about her in the beginning when you arrived on the citadel was pretty damn embarrasing. The first time I played through her quest line I basically saw her as a blue ms Cleo who gives you some pootang when you fail to be properly impressed with her great "insights"..

The Consort was practically rape. I mean I was just trying to be an ass to her and next then I know blue alien love is going on. It was not my intent.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited May 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »

And as a final point:

whatisit.jpg

Nah, he makes a good point.

Citadel is a circus show of freaks. You don't really know what's what until you try to reason with it.

I didn't say he hadn't, just that the example he uses isn't very useful since virtually everyone in this thread has played the game, thus when they see a picture of an elcor they subconciously make make the link with 'intelligent life'.

Ed321 on
    edited May 2009
    If it's any consolation, had I been Shepard arriving on the station, I would have thrown my luggage over the back of an Elcor, tossed the Volus nearby a couple creds and then I would have asked "Does your horse give rides? My legs are beat."

Havelock on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That pretty much sums it up. I thought she was interesting at first and then the whole degrading notion of what she was about kind of set in. It wouldn't surprise me if she's the Shadow Broker, though. But that seems too obvious.

Re: Asari being cliche' space elves, maybe so. Maybe it's just my personal lack of having ever read much fantasy. I'm not burned out on the classic, Tolkien-esque concept of the elf.

The only cliche' I fear is the classic sci-fi "space baby" cliche'. Where there is an all important space baby (usually the result of cross-species mating) that is the "key to everything". BSG fell into that trap. V the series fell into that trap. SG1 did, too. And others. Talk about hackneyed, hopefully ME won't go there.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You apparently haven't read Ascension.

Enjoy your final ME2/3 boss.

BlackDove on
    edited May 2009
    I just fear cliches in general for this series. I really hope that Bioware goes the distance and pulls some pretty unique storytelling in ME2

Havelock on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just fear cliches in general for this series. I really hope that Bioware goes the distance and pulls some pretty unique storytelling in ME2
    I'd say that you are shit out of luck then since it's basically Biowares thing to take cliches and polish them until they shine.

Silpheed on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

why you gotta be all pessimistic about the future.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited May 2009
    Well, at least they're shiny then.

It makes them look almost new that way.

Havelock on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ooh, shiny!

All I need.

Antithesis on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

They are, in fact, not too old for this shit.

EDIT: If only Garrus had walked up to his chief and flung down his badge. Do they have space aspirin?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

And as a final point:

whatisit.jpg
    I totally understand the intent, but it comes off especially bad when the game world shows no animals on the Citadel.

Which I'm sure comes down to resources: if you're going to allocate some memory for an animated character model, he better have some dialogue lines and some personality, etc...

Mei Hikari on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sooooooo.
    Im 2-3 hours from finishing this.
    and ive got the sci-fi bug hard now.

What to play after this- ?????
    Done fallout 3 already... recommendations? Also I hate (hate) star wars so KOTOR is out of the question.

i hate star wars

no star wars related:
    I just realized there is a shop in the Normandy. And since I have the rich achievement there is some seriously kick ass gear in there too.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That pretty much sums it up. I thought she was interesting at first and then the whole degrading notion of what she was about kind of set in. It wouldn't surprise me if she's the Shadow Broker, though. But that seems too obvious.

Re: Asari being cliche' space elves, maybe so. Maybe it's just my personal lack of having ever read much fantasy. I'm not burned out on the classic, Tolkien-esque concept of the elf.

The only cliche' I fear is the classic sci-fi "space baby" cliche'. Where there is an all important space baby (usually the result of cross-species mating) that is the "key to everything". BSG fell into that trap. V the series fell into that trap. SG1 did, too. And others. Talk about hackneyed, hopefully ME won't go there.

I found the Asari to be a little bit creepy. As I've demonstrated earlier in this thread, I thought about their biology a little too much. Since they reproduce (sort of) asexually, maybe they're gigantic colonies of bacteria. Eww.

gjaustin on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What to play after Mass Effect?
    Mass Effect

Mei Hikari on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Asari are probably the facet of Mass Effect that I could have most done without. They grate on my nerves whenever they're in a scene because, as has been said, they are such stereotypical space elves.

Goddess this and embrace eternity that.

Woobity fuckin' woo.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited May 2009
    If you want more drywall scifi like ME, I would give X3 a shot. It's basically oblivion in space, down to dunking you into the game with no fucking clue what's going on.

Robman on
    edited May 2009
    If I never have to hear 'Embrace Eternity' again, it'll be too soon.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2009
    Dammit I can't find a video where someone says EMBRACE ETERNITY (eyes go blacklol)

Robman on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you want more drywall scifi like ME, I would give X3 a shot.

Negative.
    I played X3 for a few months. Lost interest.
    Its not that I hate space sims or 4x- the game just lacked enough story meat to eat.
    I require story meat.
    And macaroni crafts.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so now that its $20 on steam (from what i hear), is it really that much better on the PC?

Joolander on