As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liquid Protein

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, briefest of backgrounds: About a week ago I had surgery, and I have about another 3 weeks before I can so much as lay eyes upon solid foods, especially meat or nuts or anything that can't go into a blender and come out with the consistency of milk after a good straining. I also cannot have much sugar for the time being.

Anyone know of a sugar-free protein powder that isn't a) loaded up with artificial sweeteners and b) doesn't taste like creamy ass?

I've had to drink a bunch of the stuff lately (I miss meat SO MUCH) and let me tell you, there is some foul stuff out there. Syntrax Nectarz was recommended, and I got a few different flavors, but it tastes so intensely of Splenda that I have a hard time getting it down. I am aware of Any Whey powder and I have some, but it's got a really nauseating texture and seems to separate easily, making it even less pleasant. Is that just par for the course with this stuff?

I've been trying to drink more milk and eat more yogurt (which qualifies as a full liquid, color me surprised), but are there any other liquids with a high protein (and no added sugar) content that I'm forgetting about? Lactose and fructose are both tolerable.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
ceres on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is peanut butter considered a liquid?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kefir would probably qualify and I know GNC makes a flavorless protein powder you could add to milk or juice

and if you can find it, greek yogurt has about twice the protein of american yogurt and tastes a hell of a lot better

Usagi on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah whey protein mixed in with some milk might be okay.

It's still likely going to taste like a really stale Quick chocolate milk or something.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah if protein was delicious in liquid form, it would be all over the place. I would try to track down some greek yogurt (which is quite good, better or at least different from standard US "breakfast" yogurt).

Certainly nothing in liquid form is going to really address your meat craving, unfortunately.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know they sell some liquid protein that isn't in powdered form around my area in super markets. Its EAS it is already mixed and doesn't taste half bad, not that great for work out protein but might do for what you are looking for.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Ooh, I've never tried Greek yogurt.. is that the sort of think I'd be able to find at my local supermarket, or do I need to hit up a Whole Foods or something?

To my dismay, peanut butter is not considered a liquid. :(

It's worth noting that all the various powders I've tried are whey protein, which is.. yeah.. stalest chocolate milk *ever*.

Does EAS have added sugar?

ceres on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    isopure500.gif

EAS protein powders absolutely taste like ass.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Please note, the protein powder I posted is meant to be added to things like yogurt, smoothies, etc...NOT mixed in a glass of water and chugged.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ceres wrote: »
    Ooh, I've never tried Greek yogurt.. is that the sort of think I'd be able to find at my local supermarket, or do I need to hit up a Whole Foods or something?

It's worth noting that all the various powders I've tried are whey protein, which is.. yeah.. stalest chocolate milk *ever*.

both of my local chain supermarkets now carry greek yogurt, so you should be able to find it there

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well, if you blend the peanut butter with the protein powder mix--or just add a few spoonfuls of it in for taste--it should be considered a liquid, right? Get the sugar-free all-natural hippie stuff, and it's not only good for protein, but also monounsaturated fat (which is probably really hard to get in liquid form, too).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I dunno I don't have the stuff handy but I know its pre mixed and liquid, it tastes decent (not the powder) so it probably does.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Muscle Milk is pretty decent.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    PopicesPopices Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I highly suggest any chocolate whey protein powder--most of it is really good quality.

Currently I am using Myoplex Chocolate Whey Protein after every workout. I'll give you a recipe that makes it taste just as good, if not better than a milk shake (and its super healthy to boot!) http://www.tfsupplements.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=57

~16oz milk
    1 scoop protein whey
    1 fresh banana (super ripe bananas taste better, but you have to strain out all the crap they leave behind)
    1 spoonful of peanut butter (essentially however much you want, though)
    2-3 icecubes to chill
    1 teaspoon of ovaltine (more vitamins+chocolate goodness!)

And there you have the best tasting protein shake ever!

Edit: I realize the item I linked is out of stock on that website....go to any Rite Aid, GNC, or Vitamin store....they all carry a bunch of varieties and sizes so you can buy whatever is right for your price range.

Popices on
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein

If you have the money, BSN Syntha-6 tastes better than just about any other protein mix. Ridiculously expensive, though.

You can get both at bodybuilding.com, cheaper than anywhere else. Do a search of their forums for coupon codes if you buy from there.

Distram on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm surprised and impressed by every post in this thread that does not contain a joke about semen, because lord knows that was the first thing that came to my mind.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    I'm surprised and impressed by every post in this thread that does not contain a joke about semen, because lord knows that was the first thing that came to my mind.

I didn't even read the thread I just saw the title and thought "oh man that is going to be a funny thread, the same joke over and over again"

Nope, just whey and milk!
    If you like soy, soy milk/ flavoured soy drink can actually be pretty good. The chocolate flavoured soy milk kind of just tastes like chocolate skim milk

RubberAC on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »

I didn't even read the thread I just saw the title and thought "oh man that is going to be a funny thread, the same joke over and over again"

If you like soy, soy milk/ flavoured soy drink can actually be pretty good. The chocolate flavoured soy milk kind of just tastes like chocolate skim milk
    Yes, thank you Pheezer.

Okay, but isn't pretty much all soy milk FULL of sugar? Because otherwise I would happily consider that.

ceres on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

me and knob actually were standing there looking at it when it got posted

it was rough because the topic is so ripe for exploitation but our momentary sobriety and deep and well known respect for the sensibilities and attitudes of others restrained us until some shiny shit distracted us.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just figured if I made a semen joke, Ceres would have infracted my ass back to the stone age.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »

Yes, thank you Pheezer.

Okay, but isn't pretty much all soy milk FULL of sugar? Because otherwise I would happily consider that.

You can get unsweetened soy milk, but I don't know if that would pass your "doesn't taste like ass" test. Also, be careful of some MRP powders (like Myoplex). They don't always have sugar, but they have aspartame and partially-hydrogenated oils.

If you're looking for a protein powder you can put in other things and bump up the protein content, you want a whey isolate that's the least "protein-tasting" you can find. Isopure's a good example of that. There are others in a similar vein, too.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why drink all that crazy shit? It sounds horrible.

Get a can of Chicken Noodle Soup. Pour in Blender. Blend. Heat. Eat. Protein that tastes like protein. If you are brave, you could try Clam Chowder or Vegetable Beef...

meeker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Have you looked at the protein content of the soups you're talking about?

Chicken Noodle Soup: 3g per serving
    Vegetable Beef Soup : 5g per serving
    Chunky Clam Chowder: 7g per serving

None of those qualify as "high protein content", as specified in the OP.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love you guys really.

Necro, that's actually the trouble I'm finding with broths.. I can't actually even stick them in the blender for about another week. For now they need to be strained (which doesn't make sense to me if yogurt counts as a full liquid, but it's probably better to listen to the doctor on this one than risk a stray chunk of something doing something bad). I never realized just how little protein was in things like chicken and beef broth until I looked this week... for just the broth, you're looking at 1g, maybe 1.5g.

They actually told me to use creamy Simply Jif for bending, probably because it's about as smooth as you can get for peanut butter. I don't think I'm supposed to have hippy peanut butter for a few weeks, but believe me it's going on the list.

And uh.. since the subject has come up, as it were... I am married... I have to say I have been wondering just how much "liquid protein" I might find in my husband's man-juice. Anyone know the protein-by-volume ratio on that? I am not averse to exhausting all my options here.

ceres on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    According to AskMen.com, it's equivalent to the protein content of a large egg-white.

I'm not even going to recommend one way or the other here.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    well just in the general spirit of increasing head, I say go for it

but in all seriousness not that much.

How long are you going to be like this? If it's a few months, so long as you're getting adequate CALORIES some low protein time isn't going to kill you, and likewise, a few to many calories from something like whole milk isn't going to ruin your life either - hell, you might get sick of it and drop it when you're allowed to eat again.

Necro, she's not a gaining weightlifter, she doesn't need 200g a day.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I realize that, but I'm going off of what she posted in the OP.

I'm guessing those are doctor's orders for post-surgery, so high protein is high protein.

edit: I have a fair idea of the type of surgery we're talking about here, btw.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »
    According to AskMen.com, it's equivalent to the protein content of a large egg-white.

I'm not even going to recommend one way or the other here.
    o_O

Really? Maybe I need to start playing for the other team. Jesus. Then again, AskMen probably has a horse in that particular race.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    About 3 more weeks until "soft foods", which can include eggs. I need to be hitting about 60g of protein per day from what they tell me.. honestly I'm mainly worried about losing my hair, and I'm worried that if I don't make that 60g it's a possibility because it's such a long period of time before I can go back to my main sources (eggs and chicken, basically).

Is that a little paranoid..?

ceres on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    one serving of greek yogurt has 20g of protein and one cup of milk has about 10g, so I think you should be OK hitting 60 between all the choices you have

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    About 3 more weeks until "soft foods", which can include eggs. I need to be hitting about 60g of protein per day from what they tell me.. honestly I'm mainly worried about losing my hair, and I'm worried that if I don't make that 60g it's a possibility because it's such a long period of time before I can go back to my main sources (eggs and chicken, basically).

Is that a little paranoid..?

Not at all, given your doctor's instructions regarding sugars and carbohydrates. If the majority of your calories need to come from protein or you need at least xg per day, then you need to consider getting 10-20g per meal, minimum.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

it was rough because the topic is so ripe for exploitation but our momentary sobriety and deep and well known respect for the sensibilities and attitudes of others restrained us until some shiny shit distracted us.

Yeah, I was actually expecting it from either you or Doc, to be honest.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Yeah, I was actually expecting it from either you or Doc, to be honest.
    They're being respectful! And I really appreciate it.

That or they instinctively remember the days when I would have gleefully jailed each and every one of them for a week before going on with my thread. One of the two.

ceres on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Most common Greek yogurt types I've seen for sale are Oikos and Fage. Both are quite good.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, my nearest supermarket doesn't carry it.. I'm going to try the local Whole Foods, I think. Thanks for the brand names.

ceres on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So I just tried Greek yogurt.. it's 2% Fage.. I think my mouth orgasmed. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for, and also have been dreaming of all my life. The only snag is that a serving is about half a container, and I can see this getting expensive fast.

On the other hand it's not like I'm eating out much these days, so it might even out anyway.

Thanks so much, guys.

ceres on
  • Options
    ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Er, why don't you just drink 32oz of skim milk per day? That should cover your protein requirements (I think that's about 60-some grams). If skim milk doesn't fit your taste requirements/you can't drink it, sorry about that.

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Looking for ways to mix it up so I don't have to use powder and don't get so sick of what I'm ingesting that I never want to see it again. That's all.

ceres on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    2% Fage is one of those things I just can't live without

when you can eat sugars and such, try it with a tiny bit of honey on top

Usagi on