As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum culture

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I post at SE++, G&T, WB, and D&D. Sometimes at H/A as well. Minus WB, I consider those the four "main" or "important" forums, because I don't care about pen-and-paper games, I'm not a graphic artist, and EverQuest killed my MMORPG spirit. WB caters to my writer-ness, so I like that too. *shrug*

D&D did scare me for a long time, I'll admit.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I post in all the major subforums.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Sometimes I want to be intellectual and debate, and therefore post in D&D

Sometimes I want to discuss my gaming hobby, so I post in G&T.

Sometimes I want to be a loon, have a laugh and a good time so I post in Cocks Dicks lol (SE++).

Shurakai on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Obs wrote: »
    I'd rather be told to "shut the fuck up" than to be crushed with someone else's bullshit opinions, and then told to shut the fuck up.
    It is, largely, an opinion based forum. You realize that, right?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    You know what forum I would love to see, an SE++ version of H/A.

Imagine, when someone posts in H/A their posts gets copied and sent to another forum where people could say whatever they want.

Obs on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'd rather be told to "shut the fuck up" than to be crushed with someone else's bullshit opinions, and then told to shut the fuck up.

I don't quite get this part. I mean, I would think that someone telling you why they think you should shut the fuck up would be the ideal, since it would give you a way to clarify any sort of misunderstandings or disagreements.

Anyway, I post mainly here, G&T, and sometimes in SE++, although I prefer to lurk there more than anything. I enjoy reading the topics in GV, but I don't post very much since I can't afford comics. That said, I'll poke my head into every subforum occasionally.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    People still post advice questions in SE++, its just that when they do they don't expect a serious answer for at least 3 pages. Also it helps to be a forumite who people know.

H/A is policed because its serious business where people can go to put fourth delicate questions. People wouldn't bother posting there if they aren't respected, etc.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    There is a lot bandwagoning in D&D.
    It's pretty much impossible to clear your name. Once D&D brands you with a scarlett letter you are fucked.
    ehh... not really. Just look at Yar.
    Yar catches a lot more shit than he deserves, too.
    Err... we give each other shit here, man. It is what we do. But he is pretty much integrated into the mesh of shit give/take that is D&D.

The only people that don't get shit, are people like me who almost never take a strong stance on anything.

Oh... yeah. See, I upgraded to Firefox 2, and the spell check dealie actually works now. So, not only am I almost never making spelling errors, I can see just how many other people make. Ellipses and slang(such as dealie), which are part of my tone, aside, I am no longer taking shit from people about my "grammar."

The little quoties are there because my grammar has always been pretty fucking close, punctuation aside, to spot on, and the real problem was my spelling. The redx taking shit from people about shit, that is cause by a disability recognized by the US government window is not closed. You can just saunter down to the next window, and fill out form A18-484/32 FO "Application to fuck the hell off and die"

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You know what forum I would love to see, an SE++ version of H/A.

Imagine, when someone posts in H/A their posts gets copied and sent to another forum where people could say whatever they want.

I, for one, would be far more likely to post a request for help in H/A if I knew my predicement would be tossed out into another forum for the ridicule and amusement of all.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    People still post advice questions in SE++, its just that when they do they don't expect a serious answer for at least 3 pages. Also it helps to be a forumite who people know.

H/A is policed because its serious business where people can go to put fourth delicate questions. People wouldn't bother posting there if they aren't respected, etc.

Hence why we copy their posts automatically.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Firefox's Spell check sucks hard, though. It shows you what is spelled incorrectly but it isn't very good at guessing what the correct word is. Hopefully it gets improved.

Also yes taking shit for your opinion is to be expected anywhere on the forum if it goes against the grain. This isn't a problem if you can back it up reasonably and don't flip out.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sometimes, some people say something that forever ruins their reputation, at least in my eyes.

Like, I cannot and will not ever take ege02 seriously in any thread regarding sex or relationships. He may be a nifty guy or whatever, but I don't think there's any coming back from "rape doesn't hurt." Maybe after a few years of worldly experience I can respect his opinions in such matters, but not now, no matter how he acts.

I'm not trying to rag on him or single him out, I'm just trying to say that it is possible to permanently damage your own reputation.

Drez on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also yes taking shit for your opinion is to be expected anywhere on the forum if it goes against the grain. This isn't a problem if you can back it up reasonably and don't flip out.

plus logically explaining why it is, in fact, they who are the ones full of shit is half the fun.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why do some people choose to stay exclusive only to one subforum rather than wander around across all forums? I've observed that some people have problems and probably start to hyperventilate if they have to post in another forum, as if they are stepping into a bad neighborhood or Compton or some shit like that. It's just another subforum. Actually, some people don't even call them subforums they just refer to them as a bunch of seperate forums even!

When I want to deal with silly people, I hang out on the PVP forum. I come to D&D because there's a large number of people who are not only intelligent, but -actively- intelligent, learned, and literate. A host of them I would judge to actually be peers, which I have found very few of in person, due to being stuck in the 4th least educated metro area in the nation at the moment.
    And I've definitely even seen some signs of prejudice. For instance, I've been to many Game Ons at G&T, and when somebody starts doing a lot of crazy shit like killing a bunch of guys or fuckin shit up I generally hear comments like "probably faggots from SE++" or "assholes from SE++"

WHY DO

YOU HATE

p.s. is this breaking the fourth wall

What the fuck.

This isn't an RP forum.

And SE++ is goofball central, so it's a fair assumption.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    It's more of a SE++ and G&T turf war. Every single person (just about) in SE++ hates G&T and vice versa.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    Sometimes, some people say something that forever ruins their reputation, at least in my eyes.

Like, I cannot and will not ever take ege02 seriously in any thread regarding sex or relationships. He may be a nifty guy or whatever, but I don't think there's any coming back from "rape doesn't hurt." Maybe after a few years of worldly experience I can respect his opinions in such matters, but not now, no matter how he acts.

I'm not trying to rag on him or single him out, I'm just trying to say that it is possible to permanently damage your own reputation.
    I don't think he's permanently damaged his reputation, it's the fact that AFAIK, he's never actually reneged on that statement. There was also quite a lot of other rather insanely epic stupidity in that thread, and there are a lot of facets of his arguments around here that sort of paint a rather weird picture that just annoys the ever living fuck out of me with a combination of it's arrogance and social ineptness. Perhaps one day he'll sort that out and we'll hear about it, but until he does yeah I'm pretty much in the bandwagon of "can't take him seriously in sex and/or relationship threads".

The "rape doesn't hurt women" thing was just the perfect distillation of everything which is/was absurdly backwards in his world view on matters of sexuality and human relationships.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ege's pretty much stuck with a stigma until he develops some sense of empathy.

His overall consciousness seems to be immensely self-oriented.

I think if he got over that, it might pass in to a "Oh man I was so stupid back then, haw haw" kind of thing.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Even if he renegs on it at this point, I won't be able to shake the bias against his opinions with regard to anything sexual or with relationships (or woman's biology, or a number of other associated topics) because that just shows a lot of ignorance. Literal ignorance. Not "christ, he's an idiot" ignorance, but he just doesn't seem to understand how some basic things work, and even if he says "sorry, sorry, you're right" at this point, it'll be hard to take him seriously at all in the future in such matters.

Again, I'm not bashing the guy here, I'm just expressing one aspect of forum reputation.

I'm sure I have a shitty rep with certain people too.

Drez on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hang mostly in Double D because its slightly more ontopic and I can follow conversations easier. I got sick of three pages of 'this thread sucks' posts before conversation slowly leak in.
    Also, good kids here in Double D. Everyone knows who I love

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    aquabat wrote: »
    I hang mostly in Double D because its slightly more ontopic and I can follow conversations easier. I got sick of three pages of 'this thread sucks' posts before conversation slowly leak in.

is it me

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »

is it me

nnnnnnnyes

aquabat on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    When I want to deal with silly people, I hang out on the PVP forum.

Man, sometimes that place is all right, but it feels like a weak version of here a lot. Between the games and the strict rules against certain thread types, it's very meh to me.

I lurk mostly in D&D and G&T, but I go through fits, like lately, where I post quite a bit. I dont always have a chance to stay up on the topics, as the internets move very fast.

SE++ is great for insomnia and times when I want to remember why I stopped working in a middle school.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    pleasure doing business with you
    chuuuummmmmmmmmp

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

I don't think he's permanently damaged his reputation, it's the fact that AFAIK, he's never actually reneged on that statement. There was also quite a lot of other rather insanely epic stupidity in that thread, and there are a lot of facets of his arguments around here that sort of paint a rather weird picture that just annoys the ever living fuck out of me with a combination of it's arrogance and social ineptness. Perhaps one day he'll sort that out and we'll hear about it, but until he does yeah I'm pretty much in the bandwagon of "can't take him seriously in sex and/or relationship threads".

The "rape doesn't hurt women" thing was just the perfect distillation of everything which is/was absurdly backwards in his world view on matters of sexuality and human relationships.

No, I apologized for it more than once. People just bashed on me harder.

In all honesty, I didn't say "rape doesn't hurt" because I really thought it didn't. I said it in a pathetic effort to be sarcastic-funny (the pneumatic drill), and didn't realize until later that I probably should have kept my mouth shut about a topic of somewhat sensitive nature.

And then the whole thing got out of control and I got burned at the stake.
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Ege's pretty much stuck with a stigma until he develops some sense of empathy.

His overall consciousness seems to be immensely self-oriented.

I think if he got over that, it might pass in to a "Oh man I was so stupid back then, haw haw" kind of thing.

Honestly, I have made the effort.

I have created threads that are completely unrelated to sex and relationships, only to be trolled and flamed with "lolo rape doesn't hurt".

Then I gave up.

The only reason I appear self-oriented is because whenever I am in D&D, I have to switch to my alter-ego and put a sort of wall around myself to prevent all the ege-hate from affecting me. It's hard to explain. You may find it hard to believe but I'm actually quite a normal dude in real life. *shrug*

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not trying to flame, or troll, or dig on old wounds, but what you said just now about it being a joke is pretty much totally a lie.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I lurk in pretty much every forum, but this is the only one I deign to post in occasionally.

Cheezy on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    I'm not trying to flame, or troll, or dig on old wounds, but what you said just now about it being a joke is pretty much totally a lie.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, see, that just doesn't cut it, ege02. If you'd been honest and said "sorry, I was ignorant," I think more people would have respected you. Considering your tone in that thread and your general tone, I don't buy for a second that you were just joking.

The fact is, we all suffer from ignorance now and then, even regarding embarrassing topics, or basic knowledge that other people expect you to know. No man is omniscient. Nobody knows everything about everything. So, ignorance about a topic now and then is just a normal Human characteristic. I *do* believe you really didn't know how a vagina works. I *don't* believe you were joking. And, unfortunately, you created that perception yourself.

Ignorance is normal from time to time. Just own up to it and things will be fine, usually.

Drez on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In my opinion, SE++ is a hellhole and I avoid it at all costs. I realize many people enjoy it there, but it's not amusing and you certainly can't expect to actually get any sort of information there, or expect anyone to make any sense.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    This thread needs to be more about forum subcultures, and less about why Forumer X totally sucks ass, or it's getting teh loxxored.

Also:

Obs - stop fucking whining. The next time I see you whine about how you're mistreated anywhere in D&D, you're getting jailed.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This thread needs to be more about forum subcultures, and less about why Forumer X totally sucks ass, or it's getting teh loxxored.

Also:

Obs - stop fucking whining. The next time I see you whine about how you're mistreated anywhere in D&D, you're getting jailed.

He already is, actually.

On topic, there's a clear difference between the way G&T, D&D, and SE++ communication works. It's really weird to observe sometimes.

Drez on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    That says more about your ignorance than it does about SE.

EDIT: guess who I was talking to

Tube on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, this is actually an issue here, I think.

People tend to jump all over people with whom they disagree. I've been guilty of it from time to time, and it tends to turn into a bandwagon.

Of course, it's far worse in G&T, where if you're even mildly critical of Nintendo, or supportive of Sony in the slightest, you get ten pages of "OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!!1!"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Also:

He's already jailed.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SE is a hard jive for me to swing into. I can dig it sometimes, but it takes waaay more stamina than I've got to boogie to it all night long.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, and I say this as a long-time G&Ter, a lot of G&T folk have a faux sense of impeccable logic, and the opposite is often true. In many ways, they are the most intolerant subculture.

There are many good people that post there, don't get me wrong. There are good threads and posts there from time to time. And maybe I've just grown out of the forum. But, all in all, I find it very difficult to enjoy posting there at all. People act like twerps.

Also: I wandered into the Artist's Corner on a whim. Thank god I can't draw for shit and thus have no desire to post there, because there are some brutal fucks in there.

Drez on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    Seriously though, you're right, SE is a hell hole. Here are some examples

OH GOD THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT HEROES!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=12351

OH GOD THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=13267

OH GOD THEY'RE CREATING AMUSING CARTOONS AND POSTING THEM FOR THE AMUSEMENT OF OTHERS

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14699

OH GOD THEY'RE HELPING EACH OTHER OUT WITH MUSIC THEORY

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15782

OH GOD THEY'RE... I CAN BARELY EVEN TYPE IT... POSTING PICTURES OF KITTENS!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14838

Seriously though, grow up.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    SE is a hard jive for me to swing into. I can dig it sometimes, but it takes waaay more stamina than I've got to boogie to it all night long.

And the good Lord himself neglected to give you any rhythm. All you can usually manage is an awkward white boy shuffle in Double D

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Seriously though, you're right, SE is a hell hole. Here are some examples

OH GOD THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT HEROES!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=12351

OH GOD THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=13267

OH GOD THEY'RE CREATING AMUSING CARTOONS AND POSTING THEM FOR THE AMUSEMENT OF OTHERS

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14699

OH GOD THEY'RE HELPING EACH OTHER OUT WITH MUSIC THEORY

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15782

OH GOD THEY'RE... I CAN BARELY EVEN TYPE IT... POSTING PICTURES OF KITTENS!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14838

Seriously though, grow up.

Posts about kittens are reprehensible.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

And the good Lord himself neglected to give you any rhythm. All you can usually manage is an awkward white boy shuffle in Double D
    It's true. God may have robbed me of my ability to get down with the funky, but in return He granted me the power to bellow with the best of them. I can shout at the devil and bark at the moon 'till the sun comes up, baby.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just want to say that I agree with ege02 that he has made good faith efforts to engage new topics, and it's all too frequently just become about him as a person instead of the topic he introduced because of his reputation.

Otherwise I like forum subcultures. I like going to new forums and trying to see what the prevailing discourse is, and then I like to try to pick it up and mimic it. It's funny when you cross them what you see. I've picked up in SE++

it's cool to post like this
    like you don't care about shit yo cuz you just don't
    and then like you reference some pop culture thing lolol disney animation
    and fucking everyone asks questions without question marks
    am i the only one who noticed

On another forum I post on there's lots of slang and in-jokes, and if you can't keep up you're not really part of the forum.

This place has like standards of decorum, but it also has its own kinda group think going on, but I don't mind. I like it because people are generally friendly and care-free, with enough seriousness to keep me from feeling like it's a total waste to read all the time.

Anyway that was all to cover up for the fact that I just wanted to stick up for ege02 a little -- in my opinion y'all make posts more personal than topical, and I don't like that.

The Green Eyed Monster on