As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EVIL girl argh ?

LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Artist's Corner
hey guys. I will post my progress here.

Please comment, tell me whats good, whats not. The usual. I really feel I have broken through a barrier recently in my drawing skills and I feel things have gotten better. All thanks to you guys suggesting I do a photo Study.
I think its really working for me because I rough in my drawing. and then I refine it a little. Then what I didnt do before and I do now is I zoom right in.. like RIGHT in.. and then refine even more and I think that really works wonders for my work.. I feel im getting good results. Here is my zombie girl I have started.

Im also interested in knowing if people think I should make the teddy bear evil/ decay it a little. Currently I feel it takes the edge off the drawing scarey wise but I dont know if I want it totally far gone or not.

zombiegirlhead.jpg
Here is my last step. I havn't cropped the image. ive only just shown what I am working on larger
evil-girl2.jpg

also one more thing. One of my mates think she has eyes. I spent a minute just drawing in some red ones. You think I should avoid eyes or keep something like that? Ive ever played those dead space games and stuff and he said apparently its starting to look like the games? I was going for more exosist style zombies I guess with the blackness
eyes.jpg?t=1242654467

Leggraphics on

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No eyes is definitely better than red eyes.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    updategirll.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    update
    zombie_girl_WIP_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    dude, your stuffs creeping me out. looking good though. Perhaps once you've finished rendering this, try placing this one and the baby (the other, other white meat :)) into a scene together.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I still find it all a bit muddled and muddy
    I feel almost like you're using too many colors or something, some of the areas like the legs arms and face need to be more clearly refined.
    also there are no unifying colors.
    for the legs you used varying shades of brown
    the dress is varying shades of blue
    the hair is brown
    the bear is brown
    to pull more into it and add ambience you have to sort of unify the colors. right now there is too much of a stark difference between the dress and the legs for example which sort of takes away from the creepy feeling.

beavotron on
  • Options
    EdilithEdilith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love the creepiness of it, and agree that she looks better with no eyes. Something about the mouth is bothering me though - perhaps it's too narrow? This is a rough guide to what I mean, unless it's an intended thing in which case ignore me!

Edilith on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Leg, you're shading mostly by just darkening. If you drop in a bit of saturation on shadow boundaries, it will help a lot. It's also not really clear what the ambient lighting is, so pushing a bit of colour in there might be effective.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the comments.

WCK- Thanks dude I am going for some creepy stuff at the moment. Probably something to do with my state of mind :s Also placing both characters in the same scene was the idea but shush dont tell anyone:p

Beav.- I think I only understand some of what you are saying but I think you are saying the dress is to colourful for the dull skin? I agree with that and plan on toning down the dress. I really wanted a dull look to the skin to make it more life-less I guess. Ill give it ago of dulling down the dress. I think I plan on applying filters to it anyway. As for the muddyness thats ok. I havnt started to sharpen up edges yet because I want to get most of it right before going into detail and finding edges. Also. I havnt done anything but block in the legs so far. I have been avoiding working on them lol.

Edilith- Thanks for the reference. I agree with you its not quite right yet. I was going for the open mouth but I wanted it to look like the jaw bone was borderline broken. Like move the bottom of the mouth out far and wide like it was the scream mask yet more deformed and twisted. Ill have a go using the reference and see if I can refine it more

Surrealitycheck- I actually took some of the saturation out of the skin tone to try to make the skin look duller and almost dead. Ill add some back in to see what it will look like. I have a feeling that doing what beav said and dulling down the dress will make the skin tone more pleasing to the eye.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Beav.- I think I only understand some of what you are saying but I think you are saying the dress is to colourful for the dull skin? I agree with that and plan on toning down the dress. I really wanted a dull look to the skin to make it more life-less I guess. Ill give it ago of dulling down the dress. I think I plan on applying filters to it anyway. As for the muddyness thats ok. I havnt started to sharpen up edges yet because I want to get most of it right before going into detail and finding edges. Also. I havnt done anything but block in the legs so far. I have been avoiding working on them lol.

I think when beav said "unify the colours" you need to add in additional colour from the light source to the charachter. Generally a light source will not always be white light, the light scource for example may be orange, if your charachter is next to an open fire, or if she is in a cold frosty outdoor environment the mist will add slight blue tones and desaturate the colours. Always keep in mind it's not always the colour of the clothes that determine their colour, but the environment they are in. So yeah, these environmental colours added to your charachter, will bring the skin tones, clothing, hair together, rather than the colours acting independantly of one another.

At least, that's what I think Beavs meant......o_O

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ahh ok I get ya. I might need to decide on an environment then.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »

I think when beav said "unify the colours" you need to add in additional colour from the light source to the charachter. Generally a light source will not always be white light, the light scource for example may be orange, if your charachter is next to an open fire, or if she is in a cold frosty outdoor environment the mist will add slight blue tones and desaturate the colours. Always keep in mind it's not always the colour of the clothes that determine their colour, but the environment they are in. So yeah, these environmental colours added to your charachter, will bring the skin tones, clothing, hair together, rather than the colours acting independantly of one another.

At least, that's what I think Beavs meant......o_O

this is exactly what i meant. she looks like she's in a very brightly lit white room.
    to add ambience and make it sort of creepy, add an ambient light source of a cool, creepy feeling color. like blue... or green. that's what i'd do anyways.

beavotron on
  • Options
    SequoiaSequoia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    She feels very doll-like to me. Are you going for creepy doll or creepy little zombie girl? Adding a few more details could push it one way or the other.

Adding some gradation inside the eye sockets could make them look more cavernous/empty rather than just the flat black space that they are now.

Great start, keep working at it.

Sequoia on