As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STS-125

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's a Japanese dude on the ISS

Weaver on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    unacceptable

[tiny]err, i mean ok that's coo[/tiny]

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    edited May 2009
    I so want to zero-G bone Megan

Weaver on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Weaver wrote: »

Space: making the double-helicopter possible since 1961

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Space: making the double-helicopter possible since 1961
    Space: where sexual restraints are a requirement!

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    they're over Borneo, and holy shit I love learning about this stuff

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shifty Fister on
  • BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hahahahahaha

"Mr. President we may have something else you might be interested in, a University of Illinois basketball from 1909"

"I uh, uh...that's..uh...that's a bit of memorabilia right there, Illinois isn't, uh, uh, really known for its basketball teams, more for it's science programs - ANYWAYS"

I can't believe that happened.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jesus christ
    How long until we get real space ships? No more of this crap that looks like they threw it together and hoped it'd fly.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Jesus christ
    How long until we get real space ships? No more of this crap that looks like they threw it together and hoped it'd fly.

this

OR

this?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jesus christ

well, this is what we plan to go to the moon with

Aiaa3.jpg

and what we plan to go to mars with will really just be a bigger version of that so

probably not for awhile

although virgin's spaceplanes look neat
    800px-Space_Ship_2_Jan_2008.jpg

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ugh, we need to figure out better way to brand spaceships. THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE SEEN BY A TRAILER PARK, VIRGIN. It needs to be subtle and cool and neat. Not bullshit like that. Jesus christ.

Honey Nut Cheerios - seriously either of those. I'm talking flush walls with hidden wiring. Sleek shiny paint jobs. Jesus goddamn christ, is it too much to ask for a space ship that doesn't look like it was put together as a school science project? Those motherfuckers don't even have proper seating.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, what?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • BearstranautBearstranaut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He's saying that our space vehicles should look less like they were thrown together by orcs and more like they were assembled by elves.

Bearstranaut on
    You ever try and draw Falcor as a giant dong? No? It just ends up looking like a long cyclops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    man dudes megan isn't very good looking i gotta say

Faricazy on
    edited May 2009
    Scarlet they have seats in the shuttle, you just don't need them except for when taking off and landing because dude you can just float wherever

Weaver on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, this ain't no Micheal Bay movie. For a science chick Megan is pretty darn hot and I wouldn't mind being stuck in a space capsule with her for two weeks.

Also, this ain't no J.J. Abrahms movie. Shuttles are built for function before form and NASA isn't going to go build some awesome space hot rod that's 20% dead weight.

Cristoval on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Man, this ain't no Micheal Bay movie. For a science chick Megan is pretty darn hot and I wouldn't mind being stuck in a space capsule with her for two weeks.

Also, this ain't no J.J. Abrahms movie. Shuttles are built for function before form and NASA isn't going to go build some awesome space hot rod that's 20% dead weight.

Actually one of the biggest sources of problems on the shuttle is that it was built for form before function.

Feynman on the Challenger. He talks about the liquid fuel engines in the shuttle having bad design decisions that were forced because the shape/size of their enclosures had already been decided.

fshavlak on
    edited May 2009
    Oh yes, there are certainly multiple design flaws in any of NASA's past space vehicles past or present. I guess what I meant to say is that no matter how advanced they get (at this current point) they are all going to look like a bunch of spare parts thrown together because I don't think NASA is willing to spend the extra scratch on an interior designer for something which sits atop 35 tons of rocket fuel.

That's a pretty interestingly unsettling link.

Cristoval on
    edited May 2009
    I still love that we landed on the moon with analog tech.

Weaver on
    edited May 2009
    Oh yes, there are certainly multiple design flaws in any of NASA's past space vehicles past or present. I guess what I meant to say is that no matter how advanced they get (at this current point) they are all going to look like a bunch of spare parts thrown together because I don't think NASA is willing to spend the extra scratch on an interior designer for something which sits atop 35 tons of rocket fuel.

That's a pretty interestingly unsettling link.

Yeah, I know what you meant. I had just remembered Feynman's thing and was looking for an excuse to post it.

fshavlak on
    edited May 2009
    I still love that we landed on the moon with analog tech.

More computing power than the lunar lander!

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jeez, you guys are killin me. we can make space airplanes when we have a manufacturing facility in orbit.

until then, the payload sits on top of the large controlled explosion, farthest away from the hot bits not cantilevered off the side of a million-some pounds of lox and h2.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
    edited May 2009
    What we need then is an alternate way to get things into space.

I suggest an elevator.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    the space elevator is a horrible horrible idea

one idiot clips it with a plane and whoops I just dropped this rig down a 300mile arc

Weaver on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Would you be more comfortable with a space escalator?

DrZiplock on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Would you be more comfortable with a space escalator?

It will never break. It will only become space stairs.

Antimatter on
    edited May 2009
    How about getting back down from space?

Space water slide.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    How about getting back down from space?

Space water slide.

I propose every project NASA is working on be canceled and all resources be directed at building a space water slide.

fshavlak on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As long as this culminates in a giant game of Space Chutes and Ladders.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Am I the only one who thinks launching shuttle vertically is an antiquated system that wastes tons of fuel in the most inefficient launching method possible? I mean I don't know a ton about it, so maybe there's a specific reason why they do it that way, but we can get planes pretty high, why can't we make a shuttle that flies like a plane, and just fires a burn to break through the atmosphere when it's at max altitude. Watching shuttles launch to me is like watching Ford Model T's race eachother.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited May 2009
    Am I the only one who thinks launching shuttle vertically is an antiquated system that wastes tons of fuel in the most inefficient launching method possible? I mean I don't know a ton about it, so maybe there's a specific reason why they do it that way, but we can get planes pretty high, why can't we make a shuttle that flies like a plane, and just fires a burn to break through the atmosphere when it's at max altitude. Watching shuttles launch to me is like watching Ford Model T's race eachother.

We can get a plane pretty high, but it's kinda insignificant when you're going 300 miles high.

To get to an orbit like the Hubble's, the difference between launching vertically and flying up and then rocketing up would only be a small fraction of the total fuel, and the complexity of the system would be astronomically greater.

For relatively low altitude trips to space (like Scaled Composites does) then yes, flying high before lighting off your rocket makes lots of sense and that's why they do it.

fshavlak on
  • DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that would be even more inefficient because it would have to take two different types of fuel/engines. Fuel and engines meant for atmospheric flight and rocket boosters with their fuel.

I know there are a ton of other reasons, but fuck that noise, I gave you my two cents

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Hey get on nasa tv right now

Weaver on
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the shuttle has really just been a big supply truck. it takes a lot of energy to throw that amount into orbit. for light loads, sub-orbital stuff, a horizontal take-off is feasible. we use a pegasus for that usually, unless we can save some cash and piggyback on another program.

A20040262000cp01.JPG

Pegasus_ORB4.jpg

cadmunky on
    edited May 2009
    so i was at the bar over lunch and there was the STS crew on TV and Megan be hall staring at the camera with lemur eyes

i mean they were HUGE

i don't think she's always like that

SPACE EYES

Faricazy on
    edited May 2009
    Spaaace Madnesss..

Cristoval on
    edited May 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    so i was at the bar over lunch and there was the STS crew on TV and Megan be hall staring at the camera with lemur eyes

i mean they were HUGE

i don't think she's always like that

SPACE EYES

ha lemur eyes all

Momo-002.gif

cadmunky on
    edited May 2009
    she looked exactly like momo

except she had a hat

Faricazy on
    edited May 2009
    Spaaace Madnesss..

BillWray-space.jpg

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg