As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate [Mini] Of Ultimate Destiny 1.5: The game that would never end, it goes on an

Deep ThoughtDeep Thought Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Critical Failures
The Vic-er...Participants:
Arasaki
Dac Vin
Daius
Delmain
SpectralSpork

Mr D
Ultros64
Gandalf_the_Crazed
enlightenedbum
dunedainjedi
Rend
iamtheaznman
Orange Soda
Obbi

kratalightblade
Hyliannbunny
Spectrum

crimsoncoyote
Dunadan019
cj iwakura
Julius Caezure

piL
GrimmyTOA
Typhus733
jackisreal

Read the rules on signing up before you post! Order does not determine who takes part!

I have a dream... of a phalla where we can all play the character of our role freely and openly. Where we can have Shaq attacking Mr Rogers. Where B:L's crazy rants could actually be part of the game. Where everyone is given material to try and have fun playing their character. Hell, we're in the roleplaying forum, aren't we?

To that end I'm going to ask any who sign up to be willing to try and protray the character they're given. I know it can be "weird" but you're on the internet. Nobody is going to point and laugh. I'd also love it if people would swap to appropriate avatars but I won't require it. I do promise that roleplaying will in no way harm your chances of succeeding at the game. I've taken a few [New, Revised and Improved] steps to prevent that kind of thing.

This game is going to focus much more heavily on Roleplaying than the last. If you're uncomfortable posting in a character you're given please do not sign up.

I'm going to be doing things differently with this game and by "things" I am chiefly referring to sign ups. We could have a mad dash for x number of spaces where all that is required of you is to post some lime text. That however is boring and not especially fair. I'd much rather the x number of players who are most willing to contribute to the game. To that end....

How to sign up:

Take your time. You have loads to think this through properly. The first PM I get won't be judged any more favorably than the last.

Write a role PM and PM it to me, Deep Thought. This role PM should contain a brief description of the character. A link to a decent amount of info on the character. A description of a special Phalla ability that this role possess. For specifics see the next post.

This will obviously not be a quick process. In fact, this game will in no way start before Sunday, possibly later. I will spend the intervening time editing the roles, their abilities and then overlaying a traditional Phalla "evil" group(s) over top of those roles.

In this thread:
Let's keep this thread on topic. This is going to mean discussion of mechanic ideas, limited discussion of ideas for character roles, questions, clarification requests, so on and such.

Deep Thought on

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We vote for erasure by !vote name. We damn well include the ! and the vote. If I don't understand a nickname/abbreviation then you didn't vote.

We do not retract as we are men, or women, of our word. We can vote for other people though.

Action Order: Actions are resolved in the order that they are received. A changed order has a new time stamp of one hour after the updated request is received for for each previous order. The first is on time, each additional is penalized an additional hour. An ability can not be made as "Too late" by this penalty.

Quick Example: If A submits a kill on B at 1:00 and B submits a kill on A at 1:01 then B dies and A drinks some iced tea.

[I think I'm sticking with this idea as I want to explore it more, it may change though]

How to properly link a post: If I require you to link a post to me in a PM follow this process: Look right of my name on this post. See that page type thing? Right click on that, copy link location and post that in. In some [noparse][url][/url][/noparse] tags would be cool.

PM Targets:
    Any Orders are to be sent to Deep Thought
    Any Questions are to be sent to DevoutlyApathetic

If your power requires you to PM me please state what exactly you are doing with your power to preserve my sanity.

Setting:

Do you really want a setting? This whole game is a giant excuse to have any character you (or I) like transfered into Phalla-land and give people a chance to be entertaining and entertained by our little community here.

Oh fine:

Somewhere, deep in the endless bounds of time exists a computer, a computer so great I am not worthy of calculating it's operating parameters. This computer consists of Life, the Universe and Everything. All that has been, all that will be, all that could be included within the bounds of creation or imagination are within this computer.

This computer is a monument to Creation. To exist in perpetuity, a kind of immortality for our greatest Heroes and Villains, our most moving Thoughts and Dreams. A lasting bastion of what has come from consciousness preserved against all time, all trouble and all torments. Until now.....

Characters:
      [*]Be fun to try and play in character and entertaining to play along with.
      [*]Must have an established personality (Pratchett's Death is good, Death in general is not).
      [*]Must be somewhat sane/able to usefully participate in a game of Phalla.
      [*]Can be fictional or real.
      [*]Can originate in a person, living or dead.
      [*]Can come from any form of fictional media/art/whatever.
      [*]Should have a reasonable amount of information easily available about them.

Abilities:
      • Creativity is the chief virtue.
      • It is closely followed by Balance.
      • Abilities should be less useful than traditional Seer/Vig/Guard powers.
      • Abilities that involve actions on the users part are favored over passive abilites.
      • Better be part of a great PM and a damn cool idea if it involves killing/seering/guarding.

PM Format:
      • Please keep the Mechanics section clearly at the end and start with the bolded Mechanics:
      • Any image in the PM must be hosted on your space until the game ends.
      • Images are awesome and win major points.
      • The same goes for premade avatars.
      • Try and adhere to the format below so editing these things is not a huge headache.

Example "Good" PM:
      Title: You are....
      Moist von Lipwig!

Moist.png

You are a confidence trickster of the amiable sort. You hustle people by giving them a chance to rip you off and when they greedily take you up on it they find out it doesn't work out quite as they expected. You do this because it's exciting and makes you feel alive. You're a friendly sort who doesn't want to hurt anybody but some people can't be stopped from hurting themselves....and if you get rich in the process you won't complain.

Favorite Phrase: Trust me.

Mechanics: You love the thrill of danger. You feel really happy when only your wits and luck are keeping you ahead of the game. If you are attacked you will not die that night. However, you will die the first night you are not attacked from then on, as the thrill wears off and all you're left with is a civil service job.

This is an example of an all around "Good" PM. The character is distinct, memorable, and I like him. [He should be a bit more notable but if you don't recognize him that's your failing.] I've included a solid wiki link with loads of good info, a good image of the character that's evocative. The mechanic is new, not very powerful but very flavorful and appropriate. (It also loses something when publically understood, so it won't be appearing in this game.)

DevoutlyApathetic on
      Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    • Deep ThoughtDeep Thought Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Clarifications will go here. In the mean time, a glance at what originally made me think of this:

Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBK31tC5QM

Oh, and the previous horrible game run by some guy who can't count.

Clarifications:
      • Dibs: I don't care. The best PM of a given character will be chosen.
      • Multiple role submissions: Sure, but 24 hours between each PM in my inbox, a PM can have multiple submissions in it. Pick your best for the first one.
      • Evil Roles: There are none at this stage. After all PM's have been finalized a small number of them will be made into a traditional "mafia" group. The Roles have no impact on who is evil. Ghandi is just as likely to be evil as Ghengis Khan as is Hitler and Elmo.
      • Timing: I can not positively state when this game will run. My expectation is that around Sunday the game will start.
      • Randomly Distrubted Roles: The PMs I get will be redistributed randomly. You are unlikely to get your own PM.
      • Matched Pairs: You may submit roles that are bound together in some fashion. (i.e. Masons, but plain masons are boring.)
      • Forbidden Mechanics: Conversion is unlikely to be acceptable. A converted bad guy effectively ends the game. If you can fix this issue go to.
      • Public Identity: Remember one of my goals is that the character a player is would be effectively public. This is a divergence from normal but it's no fun being Deadpool if you can't freely go around talking like a crazy dude.

Deep Thought on
    • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Spectrum on
      XNnw6Gk.jpg
    • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Oh man, this is a good phallas.

TheLawinator on
      My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
      edited May 2009
      I think I have seen this once before

Let me get a thinkin'

Gumpy on
    • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Where B:L's crazy rants could actually be part of the game.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

B:L on
      10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
      edited May 2009

LightRider on
    • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Maybe this time I can conceive one that gets accepted...

cj iwakura on
      wVEsyIc.png
    • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Oh god, you HAD to wait until I was in two different phallas and waiting to run my own to activate this, right? :|

No worries though, !I'm in. I got some nice ideas I wanted to use that should be all nice and dandy.

Dac Vin on
    • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Also

Hey Americans

Yes I know you guys love that piece of rock you call a country

But some of us live in places that are not america so if your role idea is an American specific TV chat show host and it ends up in the hands of someone who doesn't watch american TV then the humour will be lost

Think carefully

Make your roles international

Gumpy on
      edited May 2009
      cj iwakura wrote: »
      Maybe this time I can conceive one that gets accepted...

I'll let you send in Cuba Gooding, Jr.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Oh dear. I'll make sure to come up with something fun this time. I apologize again for not getting to Denny Crane, whoever made my Shatner role in the original one of these.

enlightenedbum on
      Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Man I have one I think would be great but may be too obscure...

I blame Wikipedia for not having a detailed character page for them.

Daius on
      bigbosssig.png
    • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      I am not creative enough for open ended character creation :(

Dunadan019 on
    • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Dunadan019 wrote: »

Dun, that's what I thought last time. Turned out this wasn't the case, so just try and send something, kay?

Dac Vin on
      edited May 2009
      Dac Vin wrote: »

Dun, that's what I thought last time. Turned out this wasn't the case, so just try and send something, kay?

Seriously!

enlightenedbum on
      edited May 2009
      You should probably be more concerned about having to roleplay whatever character you get. There are going to be some terrifying ones.

How many signups are you looking for?

Spectrum on
      XNnw6Gk.jpg
      edited May 2009
      My only problem is that some of my chars might be a bit obscure/cult things. But then I'm too worrying myself.

Can we give special victory conditions to our submitted chars?

Dac Vin on
      edited May 2009

Seriously!
      Title: You are....
      Seriously

Seriously? You are sick and tired of people making fun of your name. Then one day, you came across the terrible terrible Book of Puns. Now, it is time for sweet sweet revenge. Seriously.

Favorite Phrase: GODDAMNIT STOP WITH THE SERIOUSLY JOKES.

Mechanics: You seriously want to get them back for seriously making fun of your name. Choose one person. You must make punny jokes about their name for the day. If successful, your votes will be +1 and their votes will be -1, and they will automatically have a +1 vote on them. Seriously.

edited May 2009
      Oops, I forgot that that used to be a thing around here.

enlightenedbum on
      edited May 2009

Serio-NO I CAN'T DO IT

Dac Vin on
      edited May 2009

Now you are enlightened, bum.

• Deep ThoughtDeep Thought Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Spectrum wrote: »
      You should probably be more concerned about having to roleplay whatever character you get. There are going to be some terrifying ones.

How many signups are you looking for?
      I honestly haven't decided yet. This is a mini though so I can't go much above 20.
      My only problem is that some of my chars might be a bit obscure/cult things. But then I'm too worrying myself.

Can we give special victory conditions to our submitted chars?

You can but I'm unlikely to use them. With so few players there isn't much "room" for many of those.

Deep Thought on
    • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      I love this plan. I'm excited to be a part of it.

GrimmyTOA on
    • SpectralSporkSpectralSpork Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Already threw one in, I found it entertaining if nothing else.

SpectralSpork on
    • Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Holy ass.

I'm doing this so hard.

Ultros64 on
      It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
    • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      I submitted one... do we get a message if its good enough or just wait and see?

Dunadan019 on
      edited May 2009
      How this worked last time was that the first n to submit got in the game, but if you got in you didn't necessarily get one of your roles in the game. Like I think I got two, whoever made Calvin & Hobbes got that pair in, etc.

enlightenedbum on
    • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      Can I submit the same roles I did last time, except I tweak them a little?

Klavier and Apollo will ride again!

Thetheroo on
      edited May 2009
      I kind of want to submit the voice over guy from the Myth games and prevent the player from saying anything other than "Casualty," "Casualties," and "CASUALTIES!" but I don't think I'm that mean.

enlightenedbum on
      edited May 2009
      Thetheroo wrote: »
      Dear Phalla,

Best regards,
      - Cuba Gooding, Jr.

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
      edited May 2009
      B:L wrote: »
      Thetheroo wrote: »
      Dear Phalla,

Best regards,
      - Cuba Gooding, Jr.

I still haven't forgiven you for that role.

Thetheroo on
      edited May 2009
      I kind of want to submit the voice over guy from the Myth games and prevent the player from saying anything other than "Casualty," "Casualties," and "CASUALTIES!" but I don't think I'm that mean.
      I would willingly and gladly take on this role.

However, even I'm not so masochistic as to want Chewbacca.

Spectrum on
      XNnw6Gk.jpg
      edited May 2009

That was Dac Vin in the first one of these, wasn't it?

enlightenedbum on
      edited May 2009

That was Dac Vin in the first one of these, wasn't it?

Nah, I was Obi-Wan. As in, the guy whose power was only activated at death, except no one killed him. (In a huge fit of irony, it was also the very first time I survived to the very end of a phalla :lol:)

Dac Vin on
      edited May 2009
      Someone was Chewie I think.

enlightenedbum on
      edited May 2009
      A quick perusal of the archives informs me that it was durax, if I didn't read the PM txt file wrong.

Spectrum on
      XNnw6Gk.jpg
      edited May 2009
      Ah yes, it was in fact durax.

enlightenedbum on
      edited May 2009
      And before anyone gets awful ideas, if I see someone with the "Welcome to Toran Castle" role, he's oh so dying. 8-)

Dac Vin on
      edited May 2009
      And before anyone gets awful ideas, if I see someone with the "Welcome to Toran Castle" role, he's oh so dying. 8-)
      What if it's you? :twisted:

Spectrum on
      XNnw6Gk.jpg