As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm bringing sexy [CHAT]

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy Shit Hydroflouric Acid. Last year I read on Wikipedia that a guy spilled it on himself, jumped in a swimming pool to dilute it and still died. Another badass chemist spilled it on himself, burned the area with a bunsen burner, and then used a scalpel/blade to cut off the area, and he ended up living. The stuff bonds to the calcium in your bones and then fucks you up somehow. Where do you work Tam?

I fell into a vat of hydrofluoric acid and got super powers instead of dissolving.

Metalbourne on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote:
    lately i feel like everything is stale, i need to get into real mediums more.
    i'm in the "i suck so hard" part of the artist's self-loathing cycle.

next up "i give up"
    followed by "hey i'm not so bad"
    "I'm pretty good at this"
    "I'm awesome, I don't know what I was worried about"
    "ugh... lately I feel like I'm not that good"
    "My work feels amateurish lately"
    "I suck so hard"

later rinse repeat.

I know every art person goes through this, but it's nice to hear someone say it every once in a while.
    Sometimes I feel like it's a private hell when you guys are pumping out awesome and I'm shifting turds.

Mustang on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is up, my friends?

I'm obviously too lazy to read the last few pages.

Buckwolfe on
    edited May 2009
    Red wrote:
    Another badass chemist spilled it on himself, burned the area with a bunsen burner, and then used a scalpel/blade to cut off the area, and he ended up living.

Jesus, that's nuts. I'm pretty good with pain, but I'm incredibly bad at deliberately inflicting it, so it's fairly safe to say I would've died.

EDIT: Oh hey Buck.

Mustang on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Red wrote:
    Another badass chemist spilled it on himself, burned the area with a bunsen burner, and then used a scalpel/blade to cut off the area, and he ended up living.

Jesus, that's nuts. I'm pretty good with pain, but I'm incredibly bad at deliberately inflicting it, so it's fairly safe to say I would've died.

EDIT: Oh hey Buck.

That chemist gets 100+ man points.

Prospicience on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    this just in:
    i tried oil painting for the first time
    i am terrible at it
    like worse than terrible
    if you were to glance upon them, you would be forced to assume that i have never even heard of art let alone been doing it professionally for 2 years.

beavotron on
    edited May 2009
    What did you expect for you first time?

Awesome as you are, Beavo, you can't expect to be competent a new medium right off the bat.

Besides, where would the fun be if it didn't require a lot of hard effort? Keep at it, and see whether you like it or not.

Buckwolfe on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha, i placed a 'seeking employment' thread on a website forum about a month ago, and the last week ive been getting emails from amature game mods asking if id do some concept art. Seriously, a lot of these game mods smell of fail from the beginning. One of the guys emailed me a storyline and the whole thing consists of *insert character name here*, and the most funny *insert name of evil government agency here*.

Anyway, just some advice to people here, if you get approached by mod teams, really look into whether they are organised. You dont want to be doing work for a couple of guys that dont even know themselves what they are doing. Plus hey'd probably just take your ideas without giving you credit, becuase judging from their story outlines, they have no creativity whatsoever. My tutor at uni gave me some contacts to some TafeSA students who are working on game mods for some game/anime convention this year. They sound much more organised.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited May 2009
    Awesome as you are, Beavo, you can't expect to be competent a new medium right off the bat.

That sounds like commie talk to me. You should expect to be awesome at everything you do, and then be gutted when you discover that you are not. Then get into pills and booze because that is easier than everything else, and then piss away your last breath in a gutter, lying in a pile of your own vomit.
    God, do I have to explain everything to you guys?

Mustang on
    edited May 2009
    Anyway, just some advice to people here, if you get approached by mod teams, really look into whether they are organised.

I would never get involved in a mod team, ever.
    99% of the mods that get started never finish, they all have this furious blast of energy at the start and then it slowly dwindles away to nothingness.

Mustang on
    edited May 2009
    You should expect to be awesome at everything you do, and then be gutted when you discover that you are not. Then get into pills and booze because that is easier than everything else, and then piss away your last breath in a gutter, lying in a pile of your own vomit.

That's pretty much how I live my life anyway.

Buckwolfe on
    edited May 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    You should expect to be awesome at everything you do, and then be gutted when you discover that you are not. Then get into pills and booze because that is easier than everything else, and then piss away your last breath in a gutter, lying in a pile of your own vomit.

That's pretty much how I live my life anyway.

By having everything explained to you?

Metalbourne on
    edited May 2009
    I love how in this thread nobody stopped to ask who'd be pitching and who'd be catching.

Metalbourne on
    edited May 2009
    Its very hard to understand, when you don't have somebody to lay it all out for you....
    I love how in this thread nobody stopped to ask who'd be pitching and who'd be catching.

The first thing I thought of was something sex related....I'm glad to see that I wasn't wrong.

Buckwolfe on
    edited May 2009
    She'd be pitching? You're obviously having a funkier time in the sack than I am Metal.

Mustang on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, if she catches its only fair for you to return the favor.

amirite?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FUCK ALL Y'ALL IM BACK IN THIS SHIT

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2009
    Forbe! wrote: »

Oh, shit! He's right!

Buckwolfe on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Right on cue, Forbe.

Topics buttsex, which makes me really wonder whether you knew that when you posted.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh, shit! He's right!

awwwww yeah boiiie

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Anyway, just some advice to people here, if you get approached by mod teams, really look into whether they are organised.

I would never get involved in a mod team, ever.
    99% of the mods that get started never finish, they all have this furious blast of energy at the start and then it slowly dwindles away to nothingness.

To be fair, yeah, a lot of 'let's make a game with no money yaaay!" teams as a whole don't really have their shit together, but I know I probably wouldn't have gotten an art job for a very, very long time if I hadn't made connections working on failed freebie game projects. The few people that do have their shit together will remember you down the line if you demonstrate that you have your shit together.

Of course, it's probably better to put your efforts towards showing off such things to people with actual jobs instead of 'dude with potential maybe future job', but anecdotally I'd say the few months I spent on freebie projects were well worth the effort in the long run. Would recommend to high school/college level people with free time, if you can find a team where at least 1 or 2 other people are not totally worthless/lazy.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couldn't you just dedicate that time to beefing up your portfolio in whatever it is you want to do? Rather than beefing up your portfolio with a bunch of nerds telling you what to do?

rts on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yo dudez wassap

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2009
    Hello robots! Post new paintings!

yeah, i got an email suggesting that i get skype so that the entire team can have a 'conference call' but i dont see the point, since they havnt even done pre-planning of story or gameplay. If they can get something together, i'll probably do it just for the practice of being told what to do, with deadlines. But sinc ethey dont know what they want, that propbably wont work :) Bah, screw the internet! I'll probably just drop into one of the Tafe classes and talk to a few of the students in the Game Art course. At least because their mod is graded and determines whether or not they get a diploma, i think they should be more organised, and it'd be more worthwhile.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited May 2009
    WCK wrote:
    yeah, i got an email suggesting that i get skype so that the entire team can have a 'conference call'

Oh god, I don't think I could stand it. I would have to periodically fart into the reciever every 5-10 minutes just to get through it.

Mustang on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy gawd, so much work to finish, one more week left, augh augh

Then I drive for 8 hours, then another 6

The I'm hooooooooome! :D

But augh cripes in the meantime

P.S. somebody please purchase me a hamburger

NightDragon on
    edited May 2009
    Hey ND I bought you a hamburger, but I don't know your address and to be honest, it would be cold and stale by the time it arrived, so I ate it. I won't lie, I really really enjoyed it....in fact, eating your hamburger may have been the best decision I've made all day. Except maybe tripping up that woman who was running for the bus, that was pretty sweet too.

Mustang on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My first comission as a graphic designer! Woo!

True, it's unpaid. But still. Woo.

Flay on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you done in savannah for good, or coming back in the fall?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    Hey ND I bought you a hamburger, but I don't know your address and to be honest, it would be cold and stale by the time it arrived, so I ate it. I won't lie, I really really enjoyed it....in fact, eating your hamburger may have been the best decision I've made all day. Except maybe tripping up that woman who was running for the bus, that was pretty sweet too.

I can't decide whether to shake your hand or punch you in the face. Either way, please consider it a compliment.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Couldn't you just dedicate that time to beefing up your portfolio in whatever it is you want to do? Rather than beefing up your portfolio with a bunch of nerds telling you what to do?

Because video game jobs don't involve a bunch of nerds telling you what to do, so who needs to know how to work with those types?

HA! HA! HA!

For purely improving your 'skills of an artist', yeah, you might be better off doing your own thing (if you have a strong work ethic) or taking more classes, but I'd put the real value of it on the social aspects of working on a group production- making deadlines, getting along with/contributing positively to the group, going through the process of revising ideas based on production needs, etc. more than the actual art pieces you'll end up with at the end of the day. (Though it wouldn't hurt if that was good too).

If I've managed to get work, I'd put it much more up to having demonstrated I'm pretty good at those things, more than my actual portfolio (which was never exactly earth-shakingly amazing by any stretch). There's a lot of guys that just sit in their cubes and knock off the items on their tasklist and never invest anything personally in the project, and while they may be competent at what they do, they'll never be the sort of person that most people actively want to work with.

Plus, if you're doing something for free, you'd better be working because you like the project and want it to be good, because going 'hired gun' on a free project makes no sense whatsoever.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hello robots! Post new paintings!

I've got a show coming up in June so I'll be working my sweet little ass off over the coming weekends, new material to come!

HOWEVER: I want to do a follow up to my last solo show later in the year and I cannot find ANY spaces in the city. They're either ludicrously expensive, booked out until next year, require stupid curatorial panel assessments, or would need me to pay for public liability insurance! :(:(:(

There's one place I would like to put a show on but they're not responding to any of my emails. Urgh. :| I'm feeling very thwarted right now.

desperaterobots on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What did you expect for you first time?

Besides, where would the fun be if it didn't require a lot of hard effort? Keep at it, and see whether you like it or not.

i expected to be the most awesome
    i will of course keep at it
    i'm doing my degree starting next year in fine arts with an interdisciplinary major in both drawing and painting

i'm looking forward to spending the time learning
    though i really don't think i'll ever be great at oil painting. My style is more suited to things like water color, inks and gouache.

beavotron on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There are times I get really upset at the stuff that goes down at my job, but today is one of those really cool gratifying days. I get to ride on a helicopter... YAY!!!

MagicToaster on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cool, now I can cross out another thing on my 'stuff I want to do before I die' list.

[strike]Be in a room with hundreds of flying bouncy balls[/strike]

Flay on
  • PetalmunkPetalmunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My rant has been spoilered for those not interested in hearing it:
    So, here it is....Yesterday at work someone asked me to do something. They asked nice so i did it. I'm then told in a panic that they were not ready for me to do it and i need to undo what i did immediately because its causing huge issues. So i did. Then today that very same d-bag has the stones to ask me 'What happened yesterday? Why did you do that?'.. ... ....man i want to junk punch him so hard....:x

*sigh*

Hey everyone! Its FRIDAY!!!!!!!8-)

Petalmunk on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    What kind of "thing" are you talking about here? Cos if it's anything other than "Delivering Babies" I don't see what the big issue is...

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited May 2009
    What kind of "thing" are you talking about here? Cos if it's anything other than "Delivering Babies" I don't see what the big issue is...

LOL. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

winter_combat_knight on
  • PetalmunkPetalmunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have delivered kittens and a litter puppies before, its slimy... ... amniotic sacs are icky.

As for the "thing", it caused several hours of lost productivity, the kind of shit people get stern verbal warnings for, and he was trying to saddle me with the blame. I straightened him out though, so order has been restored.

On a lighter note... Does anyone here have a PS3? I've got LBP and Resistance 2.... any game recommendations?

Petalmunk on
    edited May 2009
    I feel you petal; I once did a thing too.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
This discussion has been closed.