As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit, join The Club

124»

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    moer liek worse.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    D: You've bested me Lewie.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Who is using the sunglasses emoticon now bitch.
    It's me. That's who
    8-)

LewieP on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So The Club is out in Europe.

I've played it for a couple of days and I've seen its strange magic working on several of my friends. This one guy who was very critic of the demo gave it a shot yesterday. After a couple of runs he literally refused to stop playing to go get food.

This game definitelly has something. It's perfectly paced, it's lots of fun, it's spectacular, it looks sweet (notice the depth of field effects that weren't there in th demo)... The physics and animation are amazing. People die very realisticly, or they would if "real" looked more like an action movie. It's also surprising that the ballistic model is so robust. It involves ricochets and, it seems, some cover penetration. The only real problem? It has a bit of an identity crisis going on.

First, it feels like a downloadable game but it looks like a triple A. That's a problem. The amount of content and the style of the gameplay make it feel too much like a budget title, and I predict it'll work better when it's re-released as such. It's sad that being fun isn't enough to make a game worthy of 60 euros, but it isn't to most.

Second, the multiplayer portion is not in synch with the single player game. It revolves around using the arcadey shooting engine in classic deathmatch stuff instead of some variation on the Geometry Wars-like gameplay of the single player elements. No coop, no time or score attacks... You're either playing Gears of War MP or competing to climb the scoreboards. Speaking of which, scoreboards require Live Gold on the 360. That's shameful.

Other than those inconsistencies, if you liked the demo you'll love the game.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    TC isn't out in most places, which might explain it. Maybe.

Oh, really? Thats some good news then :)

Feb. 19th is the release date stateside, I believe. I had no idea it was coming out earlier anywhere else.

AU February 7 2008
    EU February 8 2008
    USA February 19 2008

Odd that Australia got it a day early, but early PAL release kinda makes sense since they are an Bizarre Creations are (dirty scouse) English folk.

Liverpool's better than Manchester 8-)

That's like saying a punch in the face is better than a kick in the balls!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Has no one picked this up Stateside?

It was supposed to be out now, but my local gaming monkeys tell me the Canadian date is now Feb. 22 (a likely goddamn story -- yeah, I'm looking at YOU, super-late arrival of No More Heroes).

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I picked up the game for PS3 today, and I've played through the first several levels. It's really a blast. It's a very simple concept done to an absurd amount of depth, and it's almost weird that it has a four player splitscreen mode.

Liking it so far, much more than I thought I would.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Got this on the 360. CoD4 still rules me, though.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, Steam just reminded me that the PC version was also available. Anyone give it a shot yet? I tried the 360 demo and liked how it played, but the temptation of click/play (and mouse/keyb) is leaning me towards PC. But I'd rather not go into it blind - if it really doesn't stand up to the console version (I'm thinking performance mostly), then I'll get the 360 version instead.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    PC version demo didn't run that well on my PC

Core2Duo 2.16ghz
    1gig ram
    X600 pro

:(

LewieP on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Didn't see the demo on Steam, guess I'll hunt it down and try it tonight. I'll post impressions shortly thereafter.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    I picked up the game for PS3 today, and I've played through the first several levels. It's really a blast. It's a very simple concept done to an absurd amount of depth, and it's almost weird that it has a four player splitscreen mode.

Liking it so far, much more than I thought I would.

I really want to play this game, but the pricetag is keeping from buying with such a simple concept.

MarkyX on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm very, very shocked that this has not been talked about since its US release.

I picked it up on the strength of the demo and any misgivings I had really melted away rather quickly.

Whoever described it as a racing game with a shooter shell wasn't that far off; you begin to memorize when and where the generic Bad Guys pop up in every round of every tournament, and soon you're looking to shave precious seconds off your pathways to string that kill combo along just that much longer. Do I kill Dude X on the catwalk and hope I can keep that momentum going, or do I sprint along and hope to hit the Skullshot on the other side of the door down the hall and keep the combo going that way instead?

It's actually pretty addictive in that regard, and I'm not a fan of that kind of thing (usually). The competition angle helps, of course...I've since fought my way to 150th-ranked spot in the world on a few of the single-player levels, which for me is damned amazing, because again, I'm not usually a fan of this kind of game.

The aesthetic is nicely done too, though the outro movie sequences for each character are usually a) lame and b) short as hell. Of course, if you're playing for that reason, I guess you're missing the point anyway since it's all action and no story.

So yes, you CAN blow through all of the tournaments in a single sitting, but again, it misses the point. There's a ton of gameplay there if you're looking to try and perfect your run in each round, which (again) is far more entertaining than you'd think.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well I've picked up The Club (on the cheap, thanks LewieP!). I'd been meaning to get it for a while but just waiting for a good price. So far so good, although it seems odd that you have to unlock the levels, its a game all about getting high scores, why not just let the player play any level from the get-go?

Also, the controls seem a bit clunky (particularly after playing a lot of COD4), but maybe I'm just a bit useless and need some more practice. So far the gauntlet runs are definitely my favourite. I'm finding the survivor modes a bit tricky, it's taking me a couple of goes to get each one, having to learn the location of the health pickups.
    I also think they should let you pick your weapon loadouts, but maybe that's something you can do in the gunplay mode.
    Anyone want to share some tips to help my scoring? Also is the multiplayer worth playing?

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    In a shameful attempt to resurrect this thread I thought I'd link to two videos of someone who is very good at The Club. These are from the Eurogamer website.

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=7065

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=7067

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have it on my PC at uni, and have had a very small amount of time to play it...

I really like it though.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I will be all over this game when I can get it for 20 bucks.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rookie wrote: »

30 or 40 is probably the sweet spot for me. I really enjoyed the demo but the game just doesn't feel worth $60.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm sort of in two minds about the purchase. It cost me £18 which doesn't seem too bad but after playing a lot of COD4 I don't understand why the control system is so clunky. It's not terrible, it's just bad enough to be frustrating. Also the different weapons on offer don't seem to be all that different in practice (aside from pistol/shotgun/machine gun). Having said all that I'm still having a blast playing it atm, be nice to have some people to brag about high scores with though.

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    corin7 wrote: »
    Rookie wrote: »

30 or 40 is probably the sweet spot for me. I really enjoyed the demo but the game just doesn't feel worth $60.

I think I have recieved a sign from the gods in regard to my obtaining this game. Shortly after I made that post, I put my copy of R6:V2 on Craiglist for sale / trade, and someone wrote me and asked if I would take a trade for The Club.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    you are all talking about the console version... but what about pc

is its muliplayer online?

does it run well?

Is there a demo?

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    A quick Google found this link to the PC demo:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/11771/The+Club+Demo

I can't speak for the PC version but the Xbox version runs smooth as butter and looks pretty decent. Cranking up the sensitivity has solved some of my gripes about the controls too.
    I just got 2,037,418 on my second go at 'Man Overboard' on Insane with Dragov, which put me at 511 on the online leaderboard.
    I did one run through just going slowly and looking for all the skull shots, then did it again and reached the target first time. I've also found changing the colour of the cross hair helps me a bit. It defaults to a sort of pinky colour, I've set it to bright red and seems to stand out a lot more now.

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Okay... so i tired the demo and my main gripe is

They didnt bother to make the (demo) very PC friendly!

The Menus are clunky. you have to click "next" instead of anywhere at the end of your maps

The character is kind of jerky at times. and the base sensitivity is WAY high for MaKb setup.

But the game, once tweaked (remove blur, lower sens, Adapt to crappy menu)
    Was quite fun. but i dont understand the point of "secret" skullshots if they dont give you anything. i shot all 5 in the manor and got zippo

p.s.
    Nemo is a shitty character to have to play as

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I can't say I've figured out what the secret skull shots are suppose to do. They don't even add to your kill meter so it's hardly worth going out of your way to get to them.

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Found another mad scoring run on The Club. This is Downtown Dash on insane, it was a competition Bizarre was running a month back to see who could get the highest score.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=azPTvpRQHYs

NOTE: This isn't even the winning run!

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just bought the game, and was wondering if anyone here still played it :)

Turkey on
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Found another mad scoring run on The Club. This is Downtown Dash on insane, it was a competition Bizarre was running a month back to see who could get the highest score.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=azPTvpRQHYs

NOTE: This isn't even the winning run!

I need to check my stats on that... I made it into the top ten on that one for a while, but I'm sure I fell back once I stopped trying/almost went crazy trying to beat their scores. It's absurd how many tries it takes to get that good at that, especially the dude who runs along the back row there, to head shot him, never mind chain it on all the other guys for Head Shot Heaven... ridiculously impressive.

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh great. My copy was defective and the Gamestop had no more copies. Off to Ebay I guess!

Turkey on