As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Complete Failures Of All That Is Logic

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
I haven't seen any of this type of thread here in forever- pan-gaming, non-game-or-genre-specific just-for-fun threads, which I think are good to have- so I think I'm good on that front. The title is pretty self-explanatory: either personal stories, game plots, or game mechanics that completely fail even the most rudimentary tests of suspension of disbelief.

I do mention that, since there exists an assumed minimum level of gamer intelligence, that we can probably skip the 'people turn into coins/disappear when they die', 'walking on top of a medical kit makes everything better instantly', 'I died, but it's okay, I've got two more guys' stuff we all beat into the ground a decade ago. Even the shirts you buy in stores have moved past those dead horses. Consider your audience, please.

I will, of course, supply the seed clip; this is MLB 2k6. Jermaine Dye at bat for the White Sox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mchurGdK3u4&feature=related

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been replaying Fallout 3 lately, and one thing I've been seeing a lot of is my final kill-shot (using the Ol' Painless hunting rifle... not exactly a high calibre weapon) sending extremely large enemies hurtling straight up into the air. Like 20 feet or more. On a 2000 pound zombie bear or Deathclaw. Broken physics engines for the win!

Doom 3 had a similar problem as I recall. You shoot a Hell Knight 4 times with a Rocket Launcher, and he just keeps walking forward barely reacting to the shot. You take that 5th shot though, and he goes FLYING across the room like he'd been hit by a train. Always funny to see.

Shooters with broken physics engines amuse me a little too much :D

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doom 3 had a similar problem as I recall. You shoot a Hell Knight 4 times with a Rocket Launcher, and he just keeps walking forward barely reacting to the shot. You take that 5th shot though, and he goes FLYING across the room like he'd been hit by a train. Always funny to see.
    I recall Revolution X famously had this same problem, wherein bad guys would take several explosive rounds directly to the sack and not even flinch.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The application of physics to a living creature is a massive failure in pretty much every game ever made. Almost no games have enemies that are vulnerable to physics before they die. Usually games either make physics effect weapons like explosives pretty much kill everything, or the physics engine is the cornerstone of the gameplay - Force Unleashed, Psi Ops, etc.

A rocket launcher probably wouldn't hurl a person a hundred feet into the air; it would go through a soft target and explode behind them. If it exploded in them, it would gib them and fling their tattered flesh like confetti. Rocketing a zombie in HL2 was quite jarring and unexpectedly wrong-looking, especially after seeing gibs all over the place in HL1 and its mods.

One of my beefs is with actual bodily physics of strength, which are of course never depicted realistically because then Superman couldn't lift a plane or a building; he'd just tear right through it. If a super strong protagonist were to, say, uppercut a person in the face, with the same kind of muscle power that could lift a ten-ton vehicle, he wouldn't send them soaring into the distance. He would shatter their skull and pulp their brain.

It always looks really ridiculous to me when the Hulk punches someone and he flies away.

Evil Multifarious on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hulk SMASH but Hulk also doesn't want to draw criticism from parents' groups.

emnmnme on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Something that has always bugged me in the Devil May Cry games - when Dante (or Nero) get impaled on a sword/spear/whatever (and this happens A LOT), their clothes are never damaged. It looks especially stupid in DMC4 with the high definition textures and effects.

I understand the reason why no damage is shown - it'd probably be a lot of work for little payoff - but they don't hide the 'wound' or exit spot, so it just seems sloppy. And certainly illogical.

Graviija on
  • SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In Oblivion I walked into the castle of a town (I am horrible with names, the one with the drunk guy that wanders around and the woman with the giant rat in her basement) and saw the captain of the guard fighting with one of the castle guards. After a 2nd guard ran over and helped the castle guard take down the captain the first one knelt down and announced "the body is still warm - the killer must be here somewhere!"

Or any of the stealth based games where guards will stop caring that they just spotted you after a few seconds. 2nd hand, but a friend told me he once shot a guard in Splinter Cell and shortly after heard him say "I guess it was nothing".

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    I will, of course, supply the seed clip; this is MLB 2k6. Jermaine Dye at bat for the White Sox.
    I blame the 'roids. Pretty soon they'll be bunting straight over the Green Monster.

I think we've all made peace with guys shrugging off 10 or 20 shots to the face in your average shooter, but I still find it kind of ironic that an elbow to the chest is almost always an instant kill.

Monger on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not so immediately mind-bending, but I always find it hilarious when games like Resident Evil 5 offer multiple weapons that, by the game's definitions, use the same caliber ammunition, and yet one will do three or four times the amount of damage as another (especially when upgrading).

I'm no gun expert, but I'm pretty sure if we have two 9-mm handguns of the same size, one of them isn't going to fire a bullet at twice or three times the velocity as the other.

More presently, any first or third person shooting game that doesn't have ragdoll physics will inevitably end up looking absolutely hilarious at some point (as oppose to just somewhat hilarious with ragdolls). It's just a matter of time before someone gets killed over a stairway or a ramp or a guardrail and has 80% of their bodies sticking rigidly over the edge like a perfectly balanced board. It's really hilarious when you're actually beneath the rigid corpse. I guess it was easier to get away with before ragdolls, when enemies tended to stay planted on flat surfaces or were 2D sprites anyway.

Synthesis on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Any first person shooter where an enemy exists in a dead-end room seemingly for the purpose of shooting me in the face when I open the door. A lot of early shooters had this, but it still pops up even now.

Seriously, even putting some doodads into the room so it looks like it has some purpose alleviates this; but why is there an elite super-alien-soldier hiding in a closet with a bazooka?

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Juggling in fighting games is pretty illogical. On a similar note, it's amusing in its ridiculousness how in Titan Quest, depending on how much you overkill enemies, they get launched more into the air.

RainbowDespair on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It seems like in game physics engines are meant to be broken. I have a few fond memories of dark messiah, Might and magic where I end up flinging some corpse at the end around in crazy patterns. I've gotten creatures to jump inside the walls in fable2 and enjoyed the physics system try to handle clipping.

In halo 3 I glitched into a red container, was invincible inside of it, and then immediately reported it so it could get fixed. (there is an animation mongoose glitch)

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=75011758

There is another time where if you board the banshee and it ends up exploding, you will still be inside the damaged banshee and it will act like a sled.

http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=70970917

unrealistic physics will always be amusing

Viscountalpha on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Juggling in fighting games is pretty illogical. .

You could say that about launching balls of energy.

And guile's hair.

Or Benimaru if you're a KoF man.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    One of my beefs is with actual bodily physics of strength, which are of course never depicted realistically because then Superman couldn't lift a plane or a building; he'd just tear right through it. If a super strong protagonist were to, say, uppercut a person in the face, with the same kind of muscle power that could lift a ten-ton vehicle, he wouldn't send them soaring into the distance. He would shatter their skull and pulp their brain.

It always looks really ridiculous to me when the Hulk punches someone and he flies away.

Along the same lines, it always irritates me when super fast characters interact with a seemingly frozen world, when doing so would be akin to getting hit with a man-sized bullet.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

And guile's hair.

Or the instant regeneration of their bodies between rounds. "you broke my leg!" *ROUND OVER* "wow! I'm healed!"

Viscountalpha on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

And guile's hair.

Or Benimaru if you're a KoF man.
    SPINNING BIRD KICK! and she's upside down.

Gosling on
    edited May 2009

And guile's hair.

There are multiple levels of weird for fighting games.

It goes from "Fighting tournament, girls are stacked" to "Everyone hates eachother, oh, and the girls are totally stacked" to "Dilbert's boss got killed by a robot! Oh, and the girls are totally stacked" to "We must retrieve a possessed demonic sword with a gigantic blinking eye, again, before the Renaissance hits--oh, and did we mention the gigantic boobs?"

In approximate order from weird to weirder. Throw in some people who turn into animals or something.

Though I can't imagine it any other way.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2009
    Hell, tekken 5 man.

The endings are the best thing about the game.

And sumo wreslers who can turn into missles.

Antihippy on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pokémon. Moves that have 90% accuracy will fail more often than that.

Hypnosis has 60% accuracy and it just failed 4 out of 5 times in one recent battle I had. It made me lose.

RockinX on
    edited May 2009
    Hell, tekken 5 man.

I put the Tekken games between 3 and 4 out of 10 on the weirdo scale (which is not a statement on their quality as games, of course). The only ending I remember, I'm ashamed to say, is one of the male fighters (I want to say Dilbert's boss' son) waking up and burying his head in a female fighters' cleavage.

Again, fighting games are weird. Even the less weird ones.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2009
    A battle between 2 traps

Weird and fighting games just goes so well together.

Antihippy on
  • ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Hell, tekken 5 man.

I put the Tekken games between 3 and 4 out of 10 on the weirdo scale (which is not a statement on their quality as games, of course). The only ending I remember, I'm ashamed to say, is one of the male fighters (I want to say Dilbert's boss' son) waking up and burying his head in a female fighters' cleavage.

Again, fighting games are weird. Even the less weird ones.

He either has the best job ever, or one hell of an alarm clock.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
    edited May 2009
    A battle between 2 traps

Yeah, the best thing about Guilty Gear is that it takes the weird all the way up to 12. It's probably not the strangest 2D fighter ever, but it's probably the strangest of the big names.

I mean.....you've got the douchebag vampire, a guy who is dressed by his parents as a girl, a cop with a sword and long robes, his robot doppleganger, a short, scarred lady with one arm who is a cultural treasure, some sort of weird....witch....rockstar....hooker....and whatever the hell Dizzy is. It's like a satanic version of Cheers.

Seriously, the waitress who balances on one leg is probably the least strange character.

Synthesis on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    RockinX wrote: »

Hypnosis has 60% accuracy and it just failed 4 out of 5 times in one recent battle I had. It made me lose.

That might have something to do with your opponents dexterity or something too. I'm not a huge RPG gamer, but it seems to me your opponent's ability to avoid incoming attacks would affect accuracy.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited May 2009
    A battle between 2 traps

Yeah, the best thing about Guilty Gear is that it takes the weird all the way up to 12. It's probably not the strangest 2D fighter ever, but it's probably the strangest of the big names.

I mean.....you've got the douchebag vampire, a guy who is dressed by his parents as a girl, a cop with a sword and long robes, his robot doppleganger, a short, scarred lady with one arm who is a cultural treasure, some sort of weird....witch....rockstar....hooker....and whatever the hell Dizzy is. It's like a satanic version of Cheers.

Seriously, the waitress who balances on one leg is probably the least strange character.

Slayer is not a douchebag.

Slayer is slick.

And I honestly can't think of a fighter weirder than guilty gear.
    Or better than guilty gear. :P

Antihippy on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That might have something to do with your opponents dexterity or something too. I'm not a huge RPG gamer, but it seems to me your opponent's ability to avoid incoming attacks would affect accuracy.

This is not a factor in Pokémon. Accuracy isn't very accurate unless it's 100%. Bright Powder and Double Team increase evasion, though. And those moves suck so much we don't allow them.

RockinX on
    edited May 2009
    A battle between 2 traps

Slayer is not a douchebag.

Slayer is slick.

Sorry, my inherit hatred of vampires is showing through. I should probably have described him as "slick, womanizing, evil douchebag." Because he is evil. And he is a bastard. But he's still damn slick. Point is, he's damn unusual.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2009
    Womanizing? The only woman I've seen with Slayer is his wife Sharon.

Though that's probably because most women probably wouldn't survive being completely drained of blood.

Antihippy on
    edited May 2009
    Womanizing? The only woman I've seen with Slayer is his wife Sharon.

Though that's probably because most women probably wouldn't survive being completely drained of blood.

That's the douchebag part.

EDIT: Speaking of vampire, I'm kind of surprised no one has brought up Metal Gear Solid....extremely weird given it's attempt at a 'realistic' (or, in some cases, historically reconcilable?) setting. Really, what was Kojima's deal with people getting their junk cupped?
    mgs3comic13.jpg

Synthesis on
    edited May 2009
    To be fair she is indestructible.

Not even eddie can touch her I think.

Anyway, back to games that has no logic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA9txda3FdM

Antihippy on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mart's Mutant Mod for Fallout3 is by all standards an excellent piece of work that adds many new enemies, tweaks items, and makes the game more challenging. Only one time have I encountered a bizarre bug.

I stumble across a gecko meandering around the wasteland and figure, hey why not bring it down to skin it. I fire on it once with my pistol and it responds by shooting up into the sun. As in volleying vertically until I can no longer see it, hurling itself at our star.

Godspeed, little gecko.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
    edited May 2009

Was... was that... consensual?

Gosling on
    edited May 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

Was... was that... consensual?

It's like The Exorcist.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2009
    Actually, you know what? I can top you. You might make the argument that those were simply glitches. But this. THIS IS CLEARLY INTENTIONAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRVMgTBwg_g&feature=related

Gosling on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

This is not a factor in Pokémon. Accuracy isn't very accurate unless it's 100%. Bright Powder and Double Team increase evasion, though. And those moves suck so much we don't allow them.

The only problem here is that humans can't perceive the concept of random.

A 60% chance doesn't mean that 3 out of 5 times it works, it means that every individual time you have use it, there is a 40% chance of failure.

See to most humans, if you ask them to randomly spit out 10 numbers between 1 and 10 you'd get

Whereas if you ask a computer for the same thing, you're more likely to get:

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    The application of physics to a living creature is a massive failure in pretty much every game ever made. Almost no games have enemies that are vulnerable to physics before they die. Usually games either make physics effect weapons like explosives pretty much kill everything, or the physics engine is the cornerstone of the gameplay - Force Unleashed, Psi Ops, etc.

A rocket launcher probably wouldn't hurl a person a hundred feet into the air; it would go through a soft target and explode behind them. If it exploded in them, it would gib them and fling their tattered flesh like confetti. Rocketing a zombie in HL2 was quite jarring and unexpectedly wrong-looking, especially after seeing gibs all over the place in HL1 and its mods.

I get pretty upset when things in fiction don't work like they do in reality, too. It burns my buns so see the logical fallacy of not having people burst into gore during children's cartoons. >: (

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2009
    Hell, tekken 5 man.

Tekken 5 has nothing on 6. This is like... everything that's wrong with Tekken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjrLWSV329w

Aroduc on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

This is confirmation bias + the RNG just not landing in your favor a few times.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The one I've always liked is the disappearing bullet in shooters and the like. You pour an untold number of rounds into a monster and they don't so much as flinch until they do their death animation. It's very unsatisfying to waste a magazine on a zombie and have it keep ambling towards you as if your bullets have the stopping power of harsh language. Bullets also disappear into the ether once they hit something. There's no consequence for emptying a magazine down an empty hallway of a space ship or concrete bunker. You don't have to worry about puncturing a high pressure pipe or a ricochet coming to pay you a visit. The bad guys also get to hide behind sheets of completely bullet proof tissue paper. Your plasma rifle and rocket launcher are no match for the defensive capability of a taut Kleenex.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Hell, tekken 5 man.

Tekken 5 has nothing on 6. This is like... everything that's wrong with Tekken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjrLWSV329w

How can it be wrong when it's the only reason for me to get T6?

That and Asuka. :P

Antihippy on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    logical fallacy of not having people burst into gore during children's cartoons. >: (

It is a pretty bad influence on children it's true.

Leitner on