As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Annual Post-PAX Party Dinner. THANK YOU ALL FOR AN AMAZING PARTY!

• Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    Arco wrote: »
    Pizza and pop sounds good for me. Hopefully by 120 breadsticks you mean 120 orders of them, or there may be a breadstick riot... started by me...
    Actually I did mean 120 individual breadsticks. I was on the fence about whether or not this was enough. Now I have my answer. ;)

Sorry, for a bit I forgot how many people were going to this one, and if we are still at around 50, 120 breadstick should be fine. 2 for most people and 3 to some should make everyone happy.
    Actually, you were right. I'm working under the assumption that we're going to have 100 people. This may be an over-estimation, but we can scale back if necessary. So, 2-3 breadsticks each would be 200-300 breadsticks, not 120.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm game for it! I think that should be plenty to feed 100 people. Hell, we might have a whole lot to spare too!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Heh. I'm taking two bedrock principles into food selection:

1) It's better to have too much than not enough.
    2) Gamers don't eat like ordinary people.

Arco on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I don't have a problem with pizza, but I'm guessing at $25 people might be expecting a little bit more. Maybe. I don't know, 25 bucks seems a bit much for pizza. What kind of rental costs are you looking at?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I actually have no idea yet. The venues that I've found thus far have all had this really lame restriction on outside food. They make you use their catering, which of course is absolutely ridiculously priced.

Any suggestions on venues?

Arco on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, shoot. Arco, how about this idea? If they're going to be jerks like that with the catering, what if we found a previously existing buffet and just raided it? I mean, there's got to be like a chinese buffet or a pizza buffet or something in the area that won't have to cater to us specially in order for us to get in and chow down... maybe. =) Just throwing out the possibility, so that you don't have to snag real catering/reserve a venue/other risky things if at all possible. I know it was a bit of a hair-raising experience wondering if they were going to hit their break-even numbers last year when the Pre-PAX dinner happened. I probably sound like a broken record from last year, but I'd feel really bad if you ended up losing money because we had to get a venue and then we didn't hit our break-even numbers.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

We could try booking a conference room in one of the hotels. They should have no problem with outside food. The Sheraton is right across the street.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Add me to the list of attendees, I'm trying to figure out a way to join the CCST so I probably wouldn't be leaving until Monday morning anyway.

And I'm totally cool with pizza/pizza-esque foodstuffs.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

We could try booking a conference room in one of the hotels. They should have no problem with outside food. The Sheraton is right across the street.

They do in house catering there too, no idea if they require you to use it though. Also I get the feeling that the room rental there could be costly.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like VT's idea of buffet raid.

"even groups left, odd groups right.... moar plates moar plates.."

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Legions Of AntsLegions Of Ants Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll be going along with six other people, so wheeeee.

Legions Of Ants on
    Sonar signals singing back at me.
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If we took a conference room or something similar at a hotel, I'm pretty sure they don't require us to use their catering, though I'm not 100% sure either. As far as a buffet raid, I'm pretty sure we should still reserve something so we can be sure they have enough food and space ready for 100 people. Either way, I'm totally down for a dinner full of pizza, lasagna, salad, and bread sticks. :D

I was thinking of suggesting we reserve Gameworks for a couple hours, then realized it probably wouldn't be good for a dinner gathering.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has anyone looked into seeing if there might be some room that can be hijacked in the Convention Center itself for this?

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Has anyone looked into seeing if there might be some room that can be hijacked in the Convention Center itself for this?
    Uh. Of course I have.

/goes off to do that...

Arco on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Hotel and Convention Center conference rooms are considerably expensive.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are there any public parks or squares nearby? It's free so long as it is not raining, and we would have a lot of space. We would only have to worry about non-PAXers trying to take out pizza, but that could be remedied by requiring everyone to wear something related to PAX, like a button swap button.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Freeway(?) Park is right behind the convention center. I don't remember how spacious it is though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm hesitant to use a public space, both because of the unpredictability of the weather and because I don't want 50,000 PAXers descending on our food.

I would also be pretty stoked if we could manage to hook up some TVs and some video games or something during the dinner, and that seems pretty difficult in a park. On the other hand, perhaps some outdoor events like frizbee or something would prove a nice compliment to the indoor-ey nature of PAX? What do you guys think? If we could manage to eliminate the unpredictability of the weather and somehow ensure that only registered people got in, I'd be much more into the idea.

Arco on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ...that could be remedied by requiring everyone to wear something related to PAX, like a button swap button.

Or, you know, a con badge. :P

Seriously though, I agree with Arco, outside is probably a bad idea.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Freeway(?) Park is right behind the convention center. I don't remember how spacious it is though.

LOL there was that one area overlooking the highway last year that had the goats on it. I say we do it there, and chill with the goats. They can eat the dropped crusts and boxes.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll be down for this.

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • Options
    HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mark me down as tentative. Is there any sort of deadline as to when you need to know for sure? Actually, you know what? Screw it, mark me down. The worst that could happen is I can't make it for some reason, and if that happens I wouldn't ask for my money back. I'm about 90% sure I'll be able to make it, but it's so far from now I can't be 100% certain. My hotel reservations are for the 3rd till the 7th, so I won't be leaving till Monday if all goes as planned.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hypernetic wrote: »
    Mark me down as tentative. Is there any sort of deadline as to when you need to know for sure? Actually, you know what? Screw it, mark me down. The worst that could happen is I can't make it for some reason, and if that happens I wouldn't ask for my money back. I'm about 90% sure I'll be able to make it, but it's so far from now I can't be 100% certain. My hotel reservations are for the 3rd till the 7th, so I won't be leaving till Monday if all goes as planned.
    We're going to be selling tickets before hand, so unless you buy a ticket, you aren't committed. :) At this point the only reason I'm asking for a headcount is to know what size venue to get. Tickets will go on sale probably sometime in July/August, but that's tentative.

Arco on
  • Options
    Shadow_Dancer88Shadow_Dancer88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, shoot. Arco, how about this idea? If they're going to be jerks like that with the catering, what if we found a previously existing buffet and just raided it? I mean, there's got to be like a chinese buffet or a pizza buffet or something in the area that won't have to cater to us specially in order for us to get in and chow down... maybe. =) Just throwing out the possibility, so that you don't have to snag real catering/reserve a venue/other risky things if at all possible. I know it was a bit of a hair-raising experience wondering if they were going to hit their break-even numbers last year when the Pre-PAX dinner happened. I probably sound like a broken record from last year, but I'd feel really bad if you ended up losing money because we had to get a venue and then we didn't hit our break-even numbers.

Actually I was thinking that too. Many times chinese and pizza places will have the ability to reserve or request a room, and then just order normally from them or get a discount. In this area the one pizza place I can really think of is Alfy's, though I'm not sure where to find one in seattle (Plus I like them because the one in town has free console gaming). I can help do some research and see if I can't find a chinese or pizza place like that in seattle nearby.

Oh, I just noticed something and felt I should comment. Most parks in the seattle area require that you reserve the area and get a permit if your group will be larger than 30 people. Once this is done, you are actually able to block the area you reserved off with something like caution tape. :>

Shadow_Dancer88 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm there and will buy a ticket as soon as it's announced :)

The DIMD on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm in!

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Actually I was thinking that too. Many times chinese and pizza places will have the ability to reserve or request a room, and then just order normally from them or get a discount. In this area the one pizza place I can really think of is Alfy's, though I'm not sure where to find one in seattle (Plus I like them because the one in town has free console gaming). I can help do some research and see if I can't find a chinese or pizza place like that in seattle nearby.

Do you know of any restaurants that would accommodate 100 people? 100 people is a lot. If you end up doing research, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

As far as the park thing goes, I'm basically ruling that out ahead of time. I don't want to tempt fate and run the risk of the weather ruining the dinner, plus eventually it would get dark, so we'd need lighting, and all kinds of crap. I don't think it's a good fit for the event, is all.

Arco on
  • Options
    Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Count me in (subject to price)

Jules@Party934.com on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Now that I'm officially going, count me in.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Shadow_Dancer88Shadow_Dancer88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Though there aren't many, there are some that can hold that those high numbers of people. I'm just not sure about where in Seattle, I'm not good with Seattle locations. The issue with Seattle is that there are less large resturaunts that have inexpesive food, and more small sized places that they are able to cram into corners.....

I've found a couple, but as I said, they all tend to be on the higher price range....

Shadow_Dancer88 on
  • Options
    VonXWolfensteinVonXWolfenstein Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish I knew Seattle better and could offer ideas, but alas...i live elsewhere.
    I'll watch for tickets to go on sale and stuff to be finalized!

VonXWolfenstein on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I could go for this. More food and socializing is always welcome.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    d20dicerollerd20diceroller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm rather new here. I'm coming in with my wife, niece, close friend and his wife. My friend is driving in from Montana so I know he could make the post dinner as well since he will be leaving Monday morning like us. The thing is we get in late Thursday and will miss all the Pre-PAX stuff which sucks. I'm leaning on coming to this so tentatively count 5 more.

d20diceroller on
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Count me in as well.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll be there if it's under $20. Finances are kinda tight now. Mark me down for self.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will be going if it's held at the Taphouse like last year's epic dinner.

Otherwise, I will be at a smaller post-PAX dinner there.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mmm... taphouse... good beer... *drools*

The DIMD on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I will be going if it's held at the Taphouse like last year's epic dinner.

Otherwise, I will be at a smaller post-PAX dinner there.
    Well, well, well.

The taphouse website says it can accomodate up to 125 people, with audio/video equipment and even pool tables in our own private area. This looks promising, although the decor gives me the impression it might be spendy. Anyway, I e-mailed them and expressed interest.

How was your impression of the Taphouse? I'm an up-and-coming beer snob, so this has my interest.

Arco on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hey, i'm sorry, but i gotta back out. my other responsibilities must come first, and they would interfere with this dinner.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Arco, that sounds like a great opportunity! I mean, regardless of the quality of the beer, if they'd be willing to accommodate that many people without - for example - a large monetary deposit upfront, you'll be hitting the best of both worlds! Let's do this! =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.