As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E] Broken Chains (Game Thread)

DenadaDenada Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Critical Failures
Broken Chains
a Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition campaign for five 11th level characters

Where It Begins:

War has ravaged the kingdom of Cinosa for twelve long years. A constant struggle between the last free kingdom of the world and the blight of the frozen north, Redfrost Cavern, has left the country in ruin.

The Dark Lord Arkhaziel's army has brought devastation to all but the last of Cinosa's great cities: El'Ethara, the Shining City, built by the eladrin and given as a gift to the humans of Cinosa. It has withstood the sieges of Redfrost Cavern for nearly four years.

Now, all that has changed.

In one critical error, El'Ethara's defenses have fallen, and the Dark Lord's army has flooded the city, taking lives, slaves, and loot all in the name of Arkhaziel.

The war, however, is not yet won. Hatierre Keep, the center of Cinosan rule, still stands. General Li'Sala, the leader of not only Cinosa's army, but her people as well, remains defiant. As long as his banner still flies above the land, the Cinosan people will rally beneath it.

As the Red Edge, Dark Lord Arkhaziel's elite strike force, you are tasked with tearing that banner down. Enter Hatierre Keep, kill the general, and leave no one alive to take his place.

The Party:

Rathas.png
Rathas, Tiefling Warlord (played by Rius)

Skard.png
Skard, Shifter Warden (played by robp85)

Maelvictus.png
Maelvictus, Human Invoker (played by MolotovCockatoo)

Spyre.png
Spyre, Elf Avenger (played by Acratia)

Corianan.png
Corianan, Genasi Barbarian (played by Fiaryn)

The Details:

This is an evil campaign in the PbP format, designed to take five characters from 11th level to 30th level. Your DM is me, Denada. Your sheets are on myth-weavers. Your dice rolls will be made on invisiblecastle. I expect you to post at least once per workday. More is welcome, but not required. Posting isn't expected on weekends or holidays, but is also still welcome.

I want to make it clear from the outset that if you are unable to post for an extended period of time, you may be removed from the game. I'm a reasonable person and I don't mind if you miss a day or two here and there, but if you're gone for too long you will be replaced. It's nothing personal; the game just needs to keep moving.

Alright, with that out of the way, it's time to have some fun!

Denada on

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The situation as it stands is that the majority of Cinosa's army has suddenly disappeared from El'Ethara. With little more than a skeleton crew left to defend the city, it was a simple matter for Arkhaziel's army to break through and lay waste to the city.

In the wake of this destruction, you've basically waltzed into the city and walked right up to the gate to Hatierre Keep. The keep also appears largely abandoned, and you're now standing in the courtyard, about to dispatch some knights that have dared to put up a fight.

For now you can ask questions, engage in some character interaction, explore your backgrounds a bit, etc. My next post (or, next post that isn't answering a question) will be the first round of combat. I've rolled your initiatives for you already for the encounter.

Denada on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The city was quieter than he expected. Skard knew of the city. Who didn't in the army of Lord Arkhaziel? It was the last bastion of the Cinosan people and was a thorn in the side of Skard's master. Too easy, he thinks to himself as he leisurely strolls in. The keep is all that stands with any sort of defenses left and the Red Edge will be taking them down soon.

Skard steps into courtyard first, his weapon and shield already drawn and ready for a fight. "Shall we?" is all Skard asks the rest of his group. The lack of conversation comes as no surprise to anyone as Skard is only really known to talk through his fighting.
    Whoo! This is going to be awesome. Can't wait to see how this plays out. Good luck all.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • AcratiaAcratia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Placing measured footsteps upon the flagstones, Spyre casts a wary eye over the battlements as they proceed, reaching over one shoulder to grasp an ornate hilt. Digits curling around the weapon, the immensely lengthy blade is drawn in one smooth movement with a practised grace, paying little heed to the incoming knights as they close in upon them, having noted precisely the time they will take to arrive.

"Something is very wrong here."
    Looking forward to getting into this, chaps! :winky:

Acratia on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Corianan stalked to the forefront of the group, leylines of power along his body flickering to life in a sullen red color. His expression was no more cheerful, darkened by a scowl as his gaze set upon the meager contingent of Knights before them. He lifted a blade slick with blood both of his enemies and his own off his shoulder and into a readied position.

"Is that all? Is that all the fight famed El'Elthara is willing to give to justify its existence? Cowards! Blight on the land! Prepare to be eradicated, you deserve no less!"
    RIP AND TEAR!

I mean. I'm so happy to be in :D

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Standing among his allies, Rathas makes note of the enemy knights and dismisses them for the moment. With practiced ease he sets his shield and takes a light grip on his spear, all the while wondering about the majority of the Cinosan army.

This is very strange... I'm not concerned with how they left. The question I find most interesting is where they went, or why... Perhaps General Li'Sala will have answers.

Rathas nods at Skard and spares a glance for Corianan and Spyre.

"Wait for my signal, men, and follow my lead. We'll take down their leader first, demoralize the rest. Let's make short work of these knights, there are questions I would have answered."

Whoop whoop, so excited to get rolling! I'm out and about for holiday vacation-y stuff today, so my next post will probably be this evening. Denada, where did you find the picture to take my token from? Awesome! =)

A few things for everyone to note:

If you can hear and see me when you roll initiative, you get a +4 bonus. You also get a +4 bonus to damage against targets you are flanking with me, and when you spend an Action Point to attack, you get +9 damage to any/all targets that you hit, and if you miss all your targets you gain +9 temporary HPs.

My at-wills can either shift you around or possibly grant you a free melee basic attack. I'll probably post who shifts where for the former and I'm not sure how we'll handle the latter; If Denada doesn't mind rolling the attacks that's great, otherwise I am happy to in advance. For now it would probably help to have your melee basic attack/damage stats in your signature for easy reference, if you don't mind =)

Good luck and good rolls to everyone, hehe.

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    I found your token by googling "tiefling warlord", finding a good picture, then making the guy's hair blue. All of the tokens were found in a similar way. If any of you have a different image that you would rather use let me know.

I don't mind if you move people around and roll their attacks for them as long as they're cool with it. In Paragon tier and above pretty much everything has some kind of reaction or interrupt, so there's going to be a fair bit of post-editing going on during combat. As long as we're all aware of it going in I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    Skard returns the nod to Rathas. Repressing his thirst for blood temporarily, Skard will strike when the signal is given.
    Alright, melee basic attack info is under the Skard spoiler in my signature for you, Rius. Hopefully that helps out.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited May 2009
    Corianan bares his teeth at the Knights and waits.
    Melee basic attack info in the spoiler in my signature. Unless I'm seriously seriously injured, you may assume I elect to spend 3 HP for +9 damage with my Bloodclaw.

Fiaryn on
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maelvictus strolls into the courtyard, lagging somewhat behind his comrades. "Disgusting!" he scoffs as he brushes imaginary dust from the shoulders of his resplendent mail. "The children of fey have such... puerile taste in architecture."

He takes in the stalwart knights who have dared oppose the armies of Redfrost Cavern, and his sneer implies he finds them wanting. "Pathetic!" he curses scornfully once again. "I had hoped for more than a whimper from these wretched mortals as we crushed them. I shall make these sorry few regret their impertinent defiance!"

His eyes begin to flash with unholy light...
    wheeeeeeee! oh yea and I'm pretty sure if you need to give me a melee basic attack something has gone horribly horribly wrong....

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
    edited May 2009
    Round 1
    courtyard-round1.png

-The archers all have Cover.
    -Entering the trees grants Superior Cover from the archers, and Concealment from the ground forces. The white circles denote thick clusters of tree trunks that you must move around rather than through.
    -Tree squares are considered difficult terrain.
    Initiative Order:
    Archer Trainee 1 (A1)
    Archer Trainee 2 (A2)
    Archer Trainee 3 (A3)
    Corianan
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1)
    Hatierre Sentry (S)
    Rathas
    Maelvictus
    Archer Trainee 4 (A4)
    Spyre
    Cinosan Knight 2 (C2)
    Cinosan Knight 3 (C3)
    Skard

Party Status:
    Corianan - HP 93/93
    Maelvictus - HP 79/79
    Rathas - HP 52/76
    Skard - HP 111/111
    Spyre - HP 86/86

Enemy Status:
    Hatierre Sentry (S) - HP 110/110 - AC 27; F 24, R 22, W 23
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1) - HP 105/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22
    Cinosan Knight 2 (C2) - HP 105/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22
    Cinosan Knight 3 (C3) - HP 105/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22
    Archer Trainee 1 (A1) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.
    Archer Trainee 2 (A2) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.
    Archer Trainee 3 (A3) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.
    Archer Trainee 4 (A4) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.

The courtyard of Hatierre Keep is largely empty, save for a few brave knights, a handful of archers on the walls, and their leader, a tall dragonborn with a shining halberd. You and the keep's pitiful excuse for a guard stand with weapons ready, calculating who will make the first move. With the slightest nod from the dragonborn sentry, combat begins.

Three of the archers already had their arrows knocked, and they release them almost simultaneously. Each one flies straight for your leader, penetrating Rathas's armor with ease.
    Archer Trainee 1 (A1)-
    Standard: Coordinated Shot vs. Rathas (36) Hit! 8 damage.

Archer Trainee 2 (A2)-
    Standard: Coordinated Shot vs. Rathas (42) Critical Hit! 8 damage.

Archer Trainee 3 (A3)-
    Standard: Coordinated Shot vs. Rathas (29) Hit! 8 damage.

Next turn: Corianan

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    With a great roar of bloodlust the Genasi sent himself hurtling towards the nearest Knight, his blade swinging in a deadly arc...or perhaps it would have been deadly, had the weight of the weapon been more skillfully accounted for. As it was, the strike was far too slow to not be sidestepped.
    Standard Action: Howling Strike Charge to H11: 1d20+18=21 Miss!

Move Action: Shift to H10, gain a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex until EONT

Not an encouraging first roll D:

Next Up: Baddies...Goodies?

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    You can't take another action after a charge. Since you missed anyway though, we'll just say you moved there.

"Keep your focus on the leader!" the sentry yells, "I'll deal with this scum." The dragonborn rushes toward Corianan, roaring as he tries to sweep out the barbarian's legs. His roar turns to a frustrated growl as the attack misses.

Meanwhile, the knight to his left drops his war pick in favor of the longbow strung over one shoulder. The arrow he fires at Rathas turns into a bolt of pure blue flame as it sails toward its target, but Rathas sidesteps the attack with ease.
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1)-
    Free: Drop war pick.
    Minor: Draw longbow.
    Move as minor: Feycharge Attack.
    Standard: Longbow (Feycharged) vs. Rathas (21) Miss!

Hatierre Sentry (S)-
    Move: D13 to H12.
    Standard: Halberd Trip vs. Corianan (24) Miss!
    courtyard-round1b.png

Next turn: Rathas

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    Whoops, my mistake Denada. I could have (and should have) simply shifted to any ol' square before the charge to still get the AC bonus. Next time I will.

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    Rathas staggers a half-step as the arrows find his flesh, but he shrugs off the injuries and steps forward to the center of his group. Willing his weapon aflame, he hurls a spear of fire at the enemy dragonborn, only to curse below his breath as his opponent contemptuously knocks it aside. Not to be outdone, Rathas charges forward even as his weapon returns to his hand, roaring in triumph as he ducks inside his foe's reach and delivers a solid blow.

"Spyre! Strike now!"

Answering the call, the Avenger charges forward and joins the fight, landing his own attack against the enemy commander.

Actions:
    Move: to L11

Free: Flaming Tratnyr.

Standard: Hammer Formation vs S AC (27) (1d20+15=16) A 1? Really, Invisible Castle? I thought you loved me. Well, no time like the present;

Action Point!: Iron Dragon Charge vs S AC (27) (1d20+16=35) I charge to I11 and hit!

Damage: 3d8+7=22 22 Fire damage to S.

Effect: I give Spyre a free charge against S.

Spyre: Spyre's free Charge (1d20+17=32) Spyre charges to I13 and hits!

Damage: Spyre's Damage (1d12+12=19) 19 Damage to S.

Status Updates:
    Rathas @ I11, 52/76, Iron Dragon Charge
    Spyre @ I13, 86/86
    S @ H12, 69/110 (22 Fire, 19 Normal damage.)

If any ally within 5 squares of me takes damage and goes below his healing surge value in HP, I will activate my Healer's Belt immediate reaction encounter power and that ally will heal their surge value (without spending a surge) [URL="[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2085834/]Healer's Belt (1d6=1)[/url]"]+1[/URL]

Reminders:
    Flanking with me gives you +4 damage against flanked targets
    If you spend an AP, deal +9 damage to each target you hit and gain 9 temp HP if you miss all targets

Up Next: Maelvictus!

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    Maelvictus smoothly turns as the arrows fly from the courtyard wall. He saunters further out into the courtyard, slowly raising one fist as it becomes wreathed in hellfire; he eyes both archers in turn, as if deciding. With a sudden "Hah!" he launches the flaming bolt out at the near archer, but it splashes ineffectually against the stone wall of the keep, scorching the stone but leaving it's target unscathed.

Well, I already regret not taking the At-Will Slide... :P Really want to knock those guys off the wall. I guess they're minions though so it really doesn't matter... I could climb up there with my wallwalkers, but I can hit them from where I'm at. I'm going to move up a bit just in case from where I'm at the archers have cover from me, and so I can be ready to use some of my close bursts on the knights/sentry.

If anyone close burst 5 hits me with ranged, I immediate interrupt Angelic Visage and give them a -2 to the attack roll and then push them 3 squares after the attack resolves. If it's A1 I try to knock him off the wall with it. Anyone else I try to push into a potential flank or at least next to one of the strikers.

If anyone melees me and hits, I immediate reaction Armor of Wrath and they take 1d6+4 radiant, they are pushed 2, fall prone, and gain vulnerable 2/all until the end of my next turn. I try to push adjacent to allies as well.

Also Denada, as a reminder, I have Antipathy gloves which have the property "any enemy must spend 1 extra movement to enter a square adjacent to you" (push/pull/slide don't count).

Move Action: Move to J8

Standard: Avenging Light A1 - 1d20+15 = 16 (give me a fucking break, natural 1... well, I'm off to a terrific stop)

Go Go A4!

MolotovCockatoo on

edited May 2009
    Another archer releases his arrow, hitting Rathas just as hard as his comrades have.
    Archer Trainee 4 (A4)-
    Standard: Coordinated Shot vs. Rathas (36) Hit! 8 damage.
    courtyard-round1c.png

Next turn: Spyre

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    Having brought the blade to bear against the sentry in an opening blow with Rathas' charge, Spyre begins uttering an incomprehensible string of words that seem to have force and substance, gathering his resolve against the target of their coordinated assault. The long, slender weapon shifting from side to side in fluid strokes until with a whirl and imploding flash of searing blue light, the Avenger vanishes and instantly reappears behind the unfortunate Hatierre in mid-air; near upside down as the blade is driven down the back of the Dragonborn's neck, where the armour leaves exposure. Their leader's expression becomes one of distinct surprise as his posture is forcefully brought upright, the fullblade's length severing each link of his spinal column.

Withdrawn as quickly as it penetrated, Spyre gracefully meets the soil with blade in hand, its edge shearing through the air and brought to temporary rest, as his eye affixes on the next nearest knight by the flaming Genasi's side. Pointing, he makes a simple one-word statement. "You."

Actions:
    Minor Action: Oath of Enmity on S

Minor Action: Righteous Rage of Tempus - Next attack before end of next turn will be an automatic critical hit.

Standard Action: Teleport with Strike From Empty Air's pre-attack ability to G13, gain Combat Advantage over S : Strike From Empty Air Attack Roll vs S (1d20+18=29, 1d20+18=37) CRITICAL HIT!

Damage: Strike From Empty Air vs S Damage Roll (2d12+1d10+64=84)

S would take 10 ongoing damage if he weren't deader than a doornail.

Status Updates:
    Spyre @ G13, 86/86
    S @ H12, 0/110 (84 Normal damage)

Next: C2 and his dirty brother C3.

Acratia on
    edited May 2009
    To clarify, how high are the walls for practical purposes? Is the +25/+35 in feet, or squares? I.E. Is it 2.5 and 3.5 squares? For purposes of climb checks and teleporting, especially for future reference. Thanks!

Acratia on
    edited May 2009
    The walls are 25 feet tall and the turrets are 35 feet tall (5 squares and 7 squares, respectively).

The knights trade worried glances at the sight of their commander being struck down. "Kill them all!" one knight yells, his worried glance turning into a furious glare. His cry is echoed throughout the courtyard as he and his companion swing their war picks at Corianian and Spyre. The picks turn into weapons of pure energy as they swing them, the same way the other knight's arrow did when it was shot at Rathas. Corianan and Spyre expect their armor to absorb the impact, but the picks completely ignore their protection.
    Cinosan Knight 2 (C2)-
    Minor: Feycharge Attack.
    Standard: War Pick (Feycharged) vs. Corianan (35) Hit! 10 damage, 4 force damage, and Corianan is Marked.

Cinosan Knight 3 (C3)-
    Move: C16 to F13.
    Minor: Feycharge Attack.
    Standard: War Pick (Feycharged) vs. Spyre (25) Hit! 8 damage, 10 force damage, and Spyre is Marked.
    courtyard-round1d.png

Next turn: Skard

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    Skard charges into the fray, heading straight for the knight attacking Corianan. As he nears his target, he swings his pick down on the knight finding a weak point between the armor in the knight's arm. The pick pierces the knights skin easily causing blood to trickle from the wound. Skard laughs, twisting his normally wooden expression into something much more sinister. "Is it really that easily to hurt you?" Skard smiles baring his fangs before turning expressionless once more.
    Move: G11

Standard: Earth Shield Strike vs AC of C2: 29 Hit!
    Damage: 11
    Additionally, Skard has +1 to AC until EOMNT

Free Action: Mark C2
    If C2 attacks someone other than me next round, I will use Warden's Fury (+16 vs Fort, Hit: 1d8+8 damage and target grants CA to me and all my allies until EOMNT).

C2: 94/105 HP, marked

Next: A1-A3

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited May 2009
    Round 2
    courtyard-round2.png

-The archers all have Cover.
    -Entering the trees grants Superior Cover from the archers, and Concealment from the ground forces. The white circles denote thick clusters of tree trunks that you must move around rather than through.
    Initiative Order:
    Archer Trainee 1 (A1)
    Archer Trainee 2 (A2)
    Archer Trainee 3 (A3)
    Corianan
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1)
    Rathas
    Maelvictus
    Archer Trainee 4 (A4)
    Spyre
    Cinosan Knight 2 (C2)
    Cinosan Knight 3 (C3)
    Skard

Party Status:
    Corianan - HP 79/93 - Marked (C2).
    Maelvictus - HP 71/79
    Rathas - HP 44/76
    Skard - HP 111/111
    Spyre - HP 68/86 - Marked (C3).

Enemy Status:
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1) - HP 105/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22
    Cinosan Knight 2 (C2) - HP 94/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22 - Marked (Skard).
    Cinosan Knight 3 (C3) - HP 105/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22
    Archer Trainee 1 (A1) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.
    Archer Trainee 2 (A2) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.
    Archer Trainee 3 (A3) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.
    Archer Trainee 4 (A4) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion.

The archers lose their focus worse than the knights do. Instead of their coordinated attacks on your party's leader, they let their arrows fly almost at random. One of them strikes Maelvictus, but even that isn't particularly damaging.
    Archer Trainee 1 (A1)-
    Standard: Longbow vs. Maelvictus (37) Hit! 8 damage.

Archer Trainee 2 (A2)-
    Standard: Longbow vs. Spyre (30-5=25) Miss!

Archer Trainee 3 (A3)-
    Standard: Longbow vs. Corianan (26-5=21) Miss!

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    No sooner had the Knights blow connected with Corianan then the Genasi had returned fire with considerably greater force, staggering the man. Sidestepping into the foliage with ease, his steps seeming to be scarcely hindered at all, Corianan delivered yet another vicious, rending blow to the hapless defender. And yet while the Knight was gasping for air, his body on the brink of death, his assailant seemed to slow down as well. Corianan was winded, and his guard weakened.
    Free Action: Take 3 damage to gain 9 bonus damage on my next melee attack.

Standard Action: Shifting Wilds Strike on C2, 1d20+17=33 Hit!

Shifting Wilds Strike Damage: 2d12+19=30 damage

I then as part of Shifting Wilds Strike shift to G9, and gain +1 to AC and Reflex until EONT.

Action Point!

Free Action: Take 3 damage to gain 9 bonus damage on my next melee attack.

Standard Action: Avalanche Strike on C2, 1d20+19=27 Hit!

Avalanche Strike Damage: 3d12+32=47 damage

C2 is at 17/105 HP and in addition all enemies gain a +4 bonus to attacks made against me until EONT.

Next Up: Our Victims

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    Corianan's shift into the trees sparks a chain reaction of strikes that, unfortunately for the knight, ends with Skard's pick going through his skull.
    Cinosan Knight 2 (C2)-
    Immediate Reaction: War Pick (Feycharged) vs. Corianan (25) Hit! 11 damage + 5 force damage.

Skard -
    Immediate Reaction: Warden's Fury vs. C2 (24) Hit! 16 damage + 1 situation damage. C2 dies.

After watching another of his comrades fall to your combined might, the next knight hesitates with his bow, just long enough for Spyre to anticipate and sidestep his shot. The knight curses and starts making for the gate, leaving his war pick in the dirt.
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1)-
    Standard: Longbow vs. Spyre (21-5=16) Miss!
    Move: Run to M15.
    courtyard-round2b.png

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    As Corianan is struck by the knight's attack, Rathas' sash glows with mystical power and Corianan looks markedly better. Rathas notices the retreat of the knight and rallies his barbarian friend to the attack.

"Do not let him escape! With me, Corianan!"

Rathas turns and charges at the knight, his flaming spear proving to be only a distraction, but enough of one for Corianan to follow behind him and strike an impressive blow.
    Immediate Reaction (on Corianan's turn): Healer's Sash - Corianan regains HP equal to his healing surge value + 1.

Minor: Inspiring Word on myself, I spend and heal a surge and gain an extra [URL="[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2087941/]Inspiring Word (3d6=12)[/url]"]12[/URL] HP. I'm at 75/76 HP.

Standard: Charge to L14 vs C1 AC (26) (1d20+16=19) Yikes.

Bonus: Corianan's Charge (Howling Strike) to L15 vs C! AC (26) (1d20+18=37) Ooh, so close, damn it! Barbarian crits are fun, heh.

Damage: 1d12+2d6+10=32 32 damage to C1.

Rathas @ L14, 75/76 HP
    Corianan @ L15, 87/93 HP
    C1 @ M15, 73/105 HP

Up Next: Maelvictus!

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    The archer's errant shot barely grazes Maelvictus' shoulder, bouncing harmlessly off his glittering finemail. The devil-soul looks down at the spot where he was hit, then back up, meeting the gaze of the terrified Cinosan trainee.

This time, the Hellfire bolt does not miss.

The hapless shooter is blasted into naught but a charred skeleton. The hellish energy tendrils dance over the blackened bones as if alive, seemingly disappointed there is no more flesh to consume. They leap back across the intervening distance and flow into Maelvictus' body, bathing him in an unholy reddish light; as it subsides, he is as unmarked as he was when he entered the courtyard moments ago.

Breathing a deep sigh of satisfaction, Maelvictus whips his head around at Rathas' cry. He takes in the sight of the fleeing knight with visible glee; his hands raise, fingers clawed, and his shout rattles the stone of the keep walls, thundering for hundreds of feet beyond so all can hear: "There is no escape from the wrath of Lord Arkhaziel! By dawn of next day, there will be only two kinds of beings left in Hatierre Keep - the dying, and the dead!"

As the booming words shake dust and stone all around, red-hot iron chains burst from the earth at the retreating knight's feet. They leap up and entangle him, dragging him down to one knee even as they sear his flesh, heating and warping his metal armor where they don't burn his exposed flesh. He cries out in fear, pain and surprise.

Maelvictus begins to laugh, deep and loud.
    Move Action: Move to K11

Standard Action: Avenging Light vs. A1 - CRIT! He dies, being a minion, and for rolling a crit with a divine attack power my Dissolution's Call PP feature gives me... 10 hp! Back to full, woo! :P

Minor Action: Shroud of Awe. My voice now can be heard clearly by all creatures within 500 feet.

Action Point: Chains of Death vs. C1 Wisdom vs. Will HIT!

Spending an action point nets me +3 to the attack roll (Action Surge), +9 to damage if I hit (ty Rathas) along with a +2 to damage from Dark Fury, and every enemy within 5 squares of me (C1 and C3) gains vulnerable 5 necrotic until the end of my next turn.

So he takes 2d6+8, +2 (Dark Fury), +9 (Rathas), +5 (vulnerable necrotic) for a total of 26 (yes, 2 1's for damage arrrgh).

Oh and hitting him with a divine attack power makes my Rebuking chain give me +1 to all defenses from his attacks until the end of my next turn (too bad he's restrained!)

Also my Armor of Wrath conditional immediate reaction is still in effect.

Maelvictus @ K11, 79/79
    C1 @ M15, 47/105 and Restrained until end of my next turn, vulnerable 5 necrotic.
    C3 @ F13, vulnerable 5 necrotic.
    A1, dead.

Go Go A4!

MolotovCockatoo on

edited May 2009
    Coolest flavor text for a "worthless" level 2 utility power ever. Consider my mind blown, hehe; now keep up that level of intensity for the rest of the adventure =)

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    The faces of the humans around you have gone from stern, to scared, to furious. Now, they are well and truly terrified. The archer on the right wall hesitates with his bow drawn, looking back and forth between you and his comrades. He shakes his head, then sets his aim on the archer nearest him. He makes his shot, sending his former ally plummeting to his death.

"I'll join you," the new traitor yells as he trains his bow on the knight by the gate, "I'll serve the Dark Lord. Just let me live."
    Archer Trainee 4 (M4)-
    Standard: Longbow vs. A2 (30) Hit! A2 is dead.
    Free: Bow before the Red Edge.
    courtyard-round2c.png

Next turn: Spyre

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    Nimbly avoiding the two incoming missiles, he draws the heavy blade backward, murmuring beneath his breath and focusing upon the knight who dared assault him with the strange energy weapon. Bringing the fullblade overhead in a spin with its edge wreathed in reality-splitting energy, nonetheless even his inhuman accuracy bears no fruit, the blade dulling as it buries in the soil, evaded completely.

Releasing a string of barely audible curses, he plucks the weapon free and presses on, evading and making use of the underbrush to foil his foe's armour-sundering weapon.

Actions:
    Minor: Oath of Enmity on C3

Standard: Sequestering Strike Attack (1d20+16=20, 1d20+16=22) on C3 : MISS!

Elven Accuracy (Reroll attack) : Sequestering Strike Attack (Elven Accuracy Reroll) (1d20+16=20, 1d20+16=19) MISS!

Move: Aspect of Agility (Shift 5 Squares) to F10 - I gain Concealment, +2 to AC and Reflex till EOMNT from Aspect of Agility, +1 AC from boots until EOMNT
    Well that was...some absolutely freakin' awful rolls. Not even over a a 6, on four rolls? Come on!

Status Updates:
    Spyre @ F10 68/86 - Marked (C3) - Oath of Enmity (C3) - +2 AC, +2 Reflex, +1 AC till EONT

Next: C3

Acratia on
    edited May 2009
    As Spyre shifts away, the frightened knight tries to take an opportunistic swing with his pick. His trembling hands make for a sloppy attack, and Spyre is already gone before the knight could hit him.

The knight then moves into the trees in hasty pursuit, but fares no better with his next attack.
    Cinosan Knight 3 (C3)-
    Immediate Reaction: War Pick (Feycharged) vs. Spyre (23) Miss!
    Move: F13 to F11.
    Standard: War Pick vs. Spyre (27-2=25) Miss!
    courtyard-round2d.png

Next turn: Skard

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    Skard steps behind the knight one more time. With the knight's back to Skard, he brings his pick down on the back of the opponent. The Shifter's weapon easily pierces the back of the knight's armor cutting the knight deep. Skard's bloodlust cannot be satiated and he knows his next attack will be even more effective.

Actions:
    Move: Shift to F12
    Standard: Bloodwrath Strike vs Fort of C3 (24): 27 Hit!
    Damage: 24
    Free Action: Flesh Seeker Weapon: +1 to attack C3 the next time I attack him
    Free Action: Mark C3 with Nature's Wrath
    Immediate Interrupt: If C3 attacks someone other than me and is within melee range, I will use Warden's Fury get a free attack vs C3 (+16 vs AC, damage: 1d8+8, on hit: target grants CA to me and all allies)
    Immediate Reaction: If C3 moves away from where I am so I can't get my Warden's Fury attack off, I will use Warden's Grasp. I slide the target 1 square closer to me. C3 is slowed and cannot shift until the end of its turn

C3: 81/105 HP
    Skard: 111/111 HP
    Sorry for the lame flavor... I'm full of meetings today at work.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited May 2009
    Round 3
    courtyard-round3.png

-Units on the wall/turrets have Cover.
    Initiative Order:
    Corianan
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1)
    Rathas
    Maelvictus
    Archer Trainee 4 (A4)
    Spyre
    Cinosan Knight 3 (C3)
    Skard

Party Status:
    Corianan - HP 87/93
    Maelvictus - HP 79/79
    Rathas - HP 75/76
    Skard - HP 111/111
    Spyre - HP 68/86

Enemy Status:
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1) - HP 47/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22 - Bloodied. Vulnerable 5 necrotic. Restrained.
    Cinosan Knight 3 (C3) - HP 84/105 - AC 26; F 24, R 19, W 22 - Marked (Skard). Vulnerable 5 necrotic.
    Archer Trainee 4 (A4) - HP 1/1 - AC 25; F 24, R 26, W 24 - Minion. Traitor.

The other archer doesn't yell, or hesitate, or do anything else that might make you think he was still a part of the fight. He simply drops his bow and disappears over the other side of the wall. It would appear these trainees aren't well equipped to cope with impending doom.
    Archer Trainee 3 (A3)-
    *Flees.*

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    With a great bellow, reminiscent of the sound of a volcano roaring to life, Corianan reared back with his blade and put the fullness of his weight into one great horizontal blow, the hilt of his weapon digging into his palm to draw power in blood. The Knights armor parted in a flash of crimson, Corianan's victim only just managing to evade bisection.
    Free Action: Take 3 damage to gain +9 damage on next melee attack.

Standard Action: Blade Sweep on C1: 1d20+19=27 Hit!

Blade Sweep Damage: 2d12+23=28 damage

C1 is at 19/105 HP

Truly abyssmal damage rolls this encounter.

Next Up: Nearly dead Knight!

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    The knight struggles against the infernal chains pulling at his body, throwing a fist at Corianan. His pitiful attempt at an attack doesn't even connect, much less do damage.
    Cinosan Knight 1 (C1)-
    Standard: Unarmed Attack vs. Corianan (20-2=18) Miss!

Denada on
    edited May 2009
    Laughing at the knight's pitiful attempt to strike Corianan, Rathas raises his tratnyr high, blue flame cascading down his arm. Enough foolishness; this one dies now. His strike is true and punctures the knight's lung, yet somehow he still draws breath to scream, even as the flame cascades over his body. Rathas mockingly salutes the dying knight before turning his back to him and issuing an angry order;

"Enough chatter, Maelvictus! Send this one to the Nine Hells!"
    Standard: Bloody Ending vs C1 AC (26) (1d20+18=26) Hit, barely!

Damage: 2d8+11=15 15 fire damage, C1 has 4 hp left, damn it.

Free: Flaming Weapon daily power, 1d6=1 1 more fire damage, oh come on! C1 has 3 HP left and is taking ongoing 5, save ends.

This guy just does not want to die; counting Maelvictus' last turn, Corianan's and mine, we've rolled 9 damage out of a possible 58 on dice, lol.

Minor: Guileful Switch. Maelvictus and I swap places in the initiative order. My turn ends, Maelvictus takes his turn, and then I act when he would normally have acted (effectively giving me a second turn this round.)

Next Up: Maelvictus! (And then Rathas!)

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    "Hmph, it appears to me you already have, Devil-kin..."

Maelvictus turns his back on the flery and wailing form of the knight, letting the iron chains suck back into the earth with a hiss. His hands come up once more, towards the last standing knight, then falter -

"Beast-creature and feyborn! You are in the way! Cease toying with that mouse and put it out of its misery!"

He punctuates his point with a stream of hellfire that washes over the beleaguered knight, now beset on all sides.
    Well, I'm going to attack C3 since C1 is just going to die on his turn.

Damn, all my encounter powers are bursts and blasts that hit creatures and not enemies, except for astral terror which would push him out of flank :/ Oh well! He's toast as soon as the strikers go anyway. I'll just pile it on.

Move Action: I11

Standard: Avenging Light vs. C3 Wis vs. Fort = 33 HIT!, 14 damage.

Since I hit him with a Divine Attack power from 3 squares away or less, my Invoker defense goes off (+2 AC until SONT) and Rebuking Finemail (+1 to all defenses against attacks from that enemy until EONT). I'll Armor of Wrath him if he's dumb enough to provoke a bunch of opportunity attacks and attack the guy who has a 27 AC now :P

Maelvictus @ I11, AC 27 Fort 24 Ref 22 Will 25.
    C3, HP 70/105.

Go Rathas!

MolotovCockatoo on

edited May 2009
    The whole point of that was so that Corianan and I could charge the last knight, heh. Next time I'll be more clear =)

I'll probably just charge us out anyway since he's unarmed and any opportunity attack will be a weak and flailing thing. Post coming in a few minutes!

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    The whole point of that was so that Corianan and I could charge the last knight, heh. Next time I'll be more clear =)

I'll probably just charge us out anyway since he's unarmed and any opportunity attack will be a weak and flailing thing. Post coming in a few minutes!
    Oooh I see. Sorry. Yes, I'd say we should just lay out strategy in the spoilers, which it seems we have been doing so far anyway.

You could just both shift and then charge, if you don't want to eat the OA.

MolotovCockatoo on

edited May 2009
    I'd take the opportunity attack. Little girly man unarmed punch opportunity attacks frighten me not.

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    Glancing one last time behind him, Rathas nods.

"Our work is done here, Corianan; let us take the fight elsewhere."

Stepping away from the doomed man, he charges one last time at the remaining able knight, stabbing him in the shoulder. Corianan follows suit, ignoring the feeble swing of the restrained knight and delivering a slashing cut to the now hopelessly surrounded foe.
    Move: Shift to L13

Standard: Charge to G11 vs C3 AC (26) (1d20+16=32) Hit!

Damage: 1d8+7=8 8 damage /facepalm.

Free: Corianan's Charge (Howling Strike) vs C3 AC (26) (1d20+18=32) Hit!

Damage: 1d12+2d6+10=26 26 damage.

Rathas is at G11
    Corianan is at G12
    C1 has an opportunity attack against Corianan.
    C3 is at 36 HP, Corianan bloodied him if that matters, barbarian effect wise.

Next Up: A4, then Spyre!

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    It's a good thing we all seem to get huge static bonuses to damage... :P

MolotovCockatoo on