As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My computer is lying to me about my HD space

LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
Dear readers,
I have run into one of the most frustrating dilemmas today regarding my computers hard drive. It is now stating that I have 745 MB of HD space out of 153 Gigs of space.
Fact: I do not have that much in content to even fill 40 gigs for my primary HD
My concern is great because I do not know what to do to resolve the dilemma other than reinstalling windows. I use MagicDisc to, uh, suffice to say, use iso images as cd's for programs/games/etc and that MAY have something to do with it but I don't know how to resolve it because I know that only 5 programs are installed that use MagicDisc (Total space use - 25 gigs). My secondary hard drive IS my storage drive and I use it to store all my music/movies/torrent downloads.

I tried deleting some of the storage files to see if my computer is just getting confused but it's not happening. I've defragmented my HD but it still shows up
I have looked in every part of that HD to see any hidden files and nothing
I would greatly appreciate ANY help/tips/hints to resolve this issue. Even people I can call and ask because I would really like to use a reinstall as a last resort because of the headaches of backing up files on my primary HD into my backup drive and then reinstalling everything again.

Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
kaustikos.png
LeCaustic on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    good god. Welcome relief - found out the misses was downloading a LOT of TV shows. I think problem is resolved.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Operating System?

tofu on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Dear readers,
    I have run into one of the most frustrating dilemmas today regarding my computers hard drive. It is now stating that I have 745 MB of HD space out of 153 Gigs of space.
    Fact: I do not have that much in content to even fill 40 gigs for my primary HD
    My concern is great because I do not know what to do to resolve the dilemma other than reinstalling windows. I use MagicDisc to, uh, suffice to say, use iso images as cd's for programs/games/etc and that MAY have something to do with it but I don't know how to resolve it because I know that only 5 programs are installed that use MagicDisc (Total space use - 25 gigs). My secondary hard drive IS my storage drive and I use it to store all my music/movies/torrent downloads.

I tried deleting some of the storage files to see if my computer is just getting confused but it's not happening. I've defragmented my HD but it still shows up
    I have looked in every part of that HD to see any hidden files and nothing
    I would greatly appreciate ANY help/tips/hints to resolve this issue. Even people I can call and ask because I would really like to use a reinstall as a last resort because of the headaches of backing up files on my primary HD into my backup drive and then reinstalling everything again.

You looked in every part of your HD but didn't see 100 gigs of TV shows?

Esh on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I managed to overlook 10 gigs of movies on my desktop just yesterday. It happens to the best of us.

Trentus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Not if we use WinDirStat!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But I don't use windows. Well, not usually anyway.

Trentus on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Disk Inventory X does much the same thing for OS X, and KDirStat for Linux.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    You looked in every part of your HD but didn't see 100 gigs of TV shows?

No. To clarify, itunes became confused with having 2 harddrives and understood that my music files were to be put into my secondary hard drive and to download all files to my secondary hard drive. HOWEVER, what the misses failed to mention was that itunes wasn't working and she reinstalled it, resetting to allocating all downloads to my primary HD. I didn't know, nor did she (how could she, not being that knowledgeable) and it became clear when I tried deleting the "my music" in my primary HD and it asking me to permanently delete the folder *light switch* and I found out.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Not if we use WinDirStat!

You are a god amongst men.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm still a fan of the oldschool SpaceMonger. I've used it on almost every windows computer I've had since Windows 98.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    I'm still a fan of the oldschool SpaceMonger. I've used it on almost every windows computer I've had since Windows 98.

I just didn't know this thing existed. I figured it should but wanted to ask here first.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I find WinDirStat is easier to use.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Spacemonger used to be nicer. But over time it has become more bloated and crappy.

WinDirStat does what spacemonger used to do, but a bit prettier.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar