As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's okay. All you'll need to do is download a few updates. Other than that, the only difference between the two is Party mode and by all accounts, it's a fairly dull addition.

Joystiq has put up a glowing review of Cops & Robbers. They've called it Paradise's first must-have premium DLC, for all of you still sitting on the fence.

I like the fact that even if you don't own the DLC, you can enter a game with others playing it. You could turn the course of the game without even knowing it.

That's reassuring, thanks! I downloaded the update and when I get my 13 months gold next week, I'll be hitting online.

Also, what kind of addition is muffled radio in the pioneer? Weird.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    WOO! 100% complete! Now I have platinum cars. Maybe I should see if I can also get 100% with bikes.

It's incredi-easy. I hope they add something to the bikes in a future update. Riding a bike is a blast but sadly, there isn't much to do.

I really wish that there were bike races. I can understand why there aren't stunt runs and road rages for bikes, but I don't understand why there couldn't be races.

I wish they'd add more bikes on top of adding races - where are the motocross bikes? Only 2 superbikes, of which 1 is an upgraded version of the other? Hell, chuck in a moped while you're at it - it can be the Cavalry of the bikes.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    Also, what kind of addition is muffled radio in the pioneer? Weird.

When I first tried that car, I thought that there was something wrong with the game.

While playing I would occasionally hear DJ Atomica talking, but that seems to have stopped. Does it just stop when you've heard all of the "broadcasts" once? The game seems different without hearing him talk once in a while.

Peewi on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    His purpose is to give tips to beginners. Once you've played enough, he doesn't need to tell you how to win a race. Plus, his tips were usually pretty inane.
    "Don't crash".
    "Oh, that's what I need to do? Thanks a lot. I had no idea".

Muddy Water on
    edited May 2009
    I still thought some of it was funny.

Peewi on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, I downloaded the update to Burnout 1.8.

Now that I have that, can I delete all the previous updates, since it is taking up a huge amount of space. 1.7, bikes, and cagney?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, on the 360 each update also contains the update before it. All you need is 1.8, you don't need anything else except your save file and any paid DLC.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited May 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5265768/burnout-paradise-goes-big-surf-hunting

Ok, the new huge "Big Surf Island" dlc is due out June 11th.

Can't wait. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited May 2009
    As far as I know we don't even have Cops & Robbers on PC yet. :(

Peewi on
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Going to do those last events for my Criterion Elite license before the island hits, then.

Looks like this is going to be packed with content.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I need to get going on my elite license too. I still have like 60 events to do.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2009
    I still have 91 to go for me to get my Elite license.

I'm just about finished with the Burning Routes...woo! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited May 2009
    I'm doing them by event type, starting with road rage and marked man, then race events and then i'll finish up with some stunt run, saving the best for last.

I'm doing burning routes as i unlock them, of course.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited May 2009
    That's me, I'm doing Burning Routes as I unlock each car.

I try saving the Road Rages for last...since I just love them.

I usually get Stunt Runs done when I find them...they drive me crazy. Although my best is about 4.5 million points for one. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited May 2009
    My experience of Cops & Robbers so far today:

1. Enter room.
    2. Any number of the following happen; (a) idiot who doesn't have C&R starts chasing me for no reason, usually resulting in me leading him into a wall; (b) room owner changes it to Marked Man/Race/anything that isn't C&R; (c) room owner starts a timed challenge, and either starts the timer without waiting for everyone to gather, or randomly crashes into people who have gathered, thus preventing the challenge from ever being started; (d) room owner quits game the second his side loses the gold.
    3. Quit game in disgust, cursing the human race whilst doing so; use of the words "Die in a fire" are highly likely to be uttered.

Seriously, I like the game mode, but the fact remains that about 90% of players are jerks, and make me wish I had a button on my pad that sends a fist flying out of their screen right into their face.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Am I an idiot or does this game have no split screen?

LewieP on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Closest thing to local MP is party pack, and thats hand off.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited May 2009
    The game world is simply too large to be double rendering the whole thing. That's why there's no splitscreen. I'm pretty sure that the game is already pushing the limits of the PS3/360 in terms of memory usage.

Lucascraft on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

All the gameplay-related DLC packs thus far have been $10, but Big Surf is kind of the big one. At the same time, I can't really see them charging significantly more, given the low retail price of the game itself right now.

As a side note, I haven't bought so much as a single car as of yet, but I'm pretty much planning on getting Big Surf either way.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited May 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

All the gameplay-related DLC packs thus far have been $10, but Big Surf is kind of the big one. At the same time, I can't really see them charging significantly more, given the low retail price of the game itself right now.

As a side note, I haven't bought so much as a single car as of yet, but I'm pretty much planning on getting Big Surf either way.

From what someone's told me, BSI is almost as big as Paradise City (and they've been keeping a closer eye on all the updates than I have). Factor in 9 new cars, and I'm gonna guess somewhere in the region of $19.99 / £15.99. At least, that's as high as the price may get - I wouldn't be surprised if they back off a bit after the car packs, and knock 25% off of my guess.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

1. Enter room.
    2. Any number of the following happen; (a) idiot who doesn't have C&R starts chasing me for no reason, usually resulting in me leading him into a wall; (b) room owner changes it to Marked Man/Race/anything that isn't C&R; (c) room owner starts a timed challenge, and either starts the timer without waiting for everyone to gather, or randomly crashes into people who have gathered, thus preventing the challenge from ever being started; (d) room owner quits game the second his side loses the gold.
    3. Quit game in disgust, cursing the human race whilst doing so; use of the words "Die in a fire" are highly likely to be uttered.

Seriously, I like the game mode, but the fact remains that about 90% of players are jerks, and make me wish I had a button on my pad that sends a fist flying out of their screen right into their face.

This is why I don't play this game online.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I always thought Burnout should try to get some real-life cars in the game. Not necessarily licensed cars, but fun stuff.

Like Shockwave, the jet powered semi. That'd fit right in, me thinks.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited May 2009

1. Enter room.

This is why I don't play this game online.

Don't get me wrong - when you get a group of friends in the same freeburn room, it's a great game mode. The minute you venture into an open room, you're all but guaranteed to have at least 1 person being a complete jerk, and the worst thing is that most of the time the host doesn't even bother kicking them. I did manage to get in a decent C&R game where the score got to 1-0 in a best of 3; however, that was cancelled after about 10 minutes of the gold going back and forth in round 2, because we had 3 more people waiting to join in.

The following game ended 2-1 to the opponents, which was somewhat unsurprising considering that after the first point was scored, the 'teams' were 3 robbers, 1 cop. We started 3 each. The only reason I got 1 point was because I gave up chasing them on the first one and got a huge head start on the second.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited May 2009
    I've had some really good experiences with random games. But yes, for every good experience, there are probably 4 or 5 mediocre or bad ones.

I actually tend to enjoy all aspects of the game. It just depends on my mood. Sometimes the freeburn challenges are a lot of fun. Other times I'd rather just play solo and drive around doing nothing at all. Probably my favorite thing to do in the whole game was search for the Smashes, Billboards, and Super Jumps. But those are all done now, so I'm left with everything else.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2009
    Man, that's not been my experience in Burnout at all. Then again, I almost always host, and I'm not tolerant of dicks.

Willeth on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I impulse bought this off psn a week or two ago and man, i wished i'd picked up on the fact that while the multiplayer may be complete win the single player is just bad. The worst part is it has the potential to be good, but its just so unbelievably easy. I've gotten up to the burnout license in the hope that it would eventually get challenging but its still no go, the only way to make things remotely hard is to pick the slowest car you have for races, or the weakest for other events and even then you win 9/10 times unless something goes horribly wrong :|

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Poppycock! The single-player is fantastic. I never play multi in this game (I did for the Trophies but as soon as I was done with those I was done with multi).

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2009
    The Elite licence is where the challenge is at. I never understood why they patched it to make it easier.

Willeth on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I finally got around to trying this game, and it's really frustrating but really fun at times--this might seem like a dumb question, but how on earth do you retry races without driving back across the map? I'm not seeing any button for it or any kind of pop up menu, is that feature DLC only D:?

Darlan on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You don't have to buy the DLC, but it's not on-disc, so yeah, you have to be connected through Xbox Live or PSN. Once you do, it's right on the D-pad and Restart Current or Last Event.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You don't have to buy the DLC, but it's not on-disc, so yeah, you have to be connected through Xbox Live or PSN. Once you do, it's right on the D-pad and Restart Current or Last Event.
    Thanks, you may have saved me from blowing my brains out. I have no idea how people played this game before this feature was patched in.

Darlan on
    edited May 2009
    It's on-disc if you have the Ultimate Box.

Willeth on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Thanks, you may have saved me from blowing my brains out. I have no idea how people played this game before this feature was patched in.

In the old days, we LIKED remembering street names and retracing our routes after every failed attempt

Our cars were also powered by steam and woodfire

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Man, I actually did like not being able to retry. I'd just go do other stuff and waste a bunch of time. And it's not like the city's that big, really.

I guess if I hadn't known about it ahead of time I'd have been miffed, though. I guess I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

Willeth on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    leaf wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »

In the old days, we LIKED remembering street names and retracing our routes after every failed attempt

Our cars were also powered by steam and woodfire

the only time i ever balked at not being able to restart events was the later stunt runs and especially the later burning routes. some of them go all the way across the map, and you go get the right car and then fail and youre stuck out in west bumfuck in the mountains and you have to drive all the way back and its terrible.

but i mean i 100%d the game without event restarting, and had well over a hundred hours on my original save file... so it was really that much a hassle in the end i guess :D

Ah_Pook on
    edited May 2009
    Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Peewi and I have tons of fun playing this together

assuming I don't have some packet loss bullshit that creates the weirdest lag. Never get it when I'm jacked in but as soon as there's wireless involved with my windows partition, shit starts happening that ain't cool.

Senshi on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh man!

I would totally be into playing some with people, but you guys seem to be playing on PC? Gah!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    there're lots of people playin on the xbox and ps3, I think there's a list of gamertags in the first post

Unfortunately, there's no list for PC gamertags, which is a real shame because eight PAers in this would be glorious.

Senshi on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hurray the Tempesta! Looks great, too bad about the handling - it almost corners too well.

I also encountered my first glitch, shattering my illusion of a bug fixed PC version, after a crash I simply dropped down below the I-88 into a grey void, only to be plopped back onto road seconds later :O

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg