As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

actionscript / video capture

DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
I'm pretty sure no-one's going to know the answer to this, but here goes anyway:

I'm developing a little video capture application in actionscript, and it's all working fine except one niggling problem. Due to cpu limitations (this is an embedded device) I need to capture at less than my capture devices native resolution. Unfortunately, rather than getting a scaled image back from the capture device I'm actually getting a cropped on, which is a bit crap.

My device is a compro videomate c200.

does anyone know:

is this a limitation of the capture device? How actionscript is dealing with the capture device?

is it pretty common across different capture devices or did I just pick a crappy device?

is there any way to solve it (I'm thinking maybe a way to talk to the driver and get it to actually capture at a diffeent resolution)

any help gratefully received!

Deicist on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    some web cams come with a resolution controller software that is exterior to whatever app is using the camera. Dell web cams are like this.

Try that if it's available. Otherwise... I could tell you how to do what you are describing with individual screen grabs... but not with video... have no idea.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tallus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure no-one's going to know the answer to this, but here goes anyway:

I'm developing a little video capture application in actionscript, and it's all working fine except one niggling problem. Due to cpu limitations (this is an embedded device) I need to capture at less than my capture devices native resolution. Unfortunately, rather than getting a scaled image back from the capture device I'm actually getting a cropped on, which is a bit crap.

My device is a compro videomate c200.

does anyone know:

is this a limitation of the capture device? How actionscript is dealing with the capture device?

is it pretty common across different capture devices or did I just pick a crappy device?

is there any way to solve it (I'm thinking maybe a way to talk to the driver and get it to actually capture at a diffeent resolution)

any help gratefully received!

You don't happen to know what chipset it uses for the A/D conversion, do you?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    no idea other than it's a pretty crappy one.

I can probably crack one open and have a look inside if it helps get to the bottom of this issue?

Deicist on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tallus wrote: »
    no idea other than it's a pretty crappy one.

I can probably crack one open and have a look inside if it helps get to the bottom of this issue?

I'd check in the device manager first. You're looking for a reference to BTXXX or the USB device. Also, what are you attempting to accomplish? I may know of some better devices.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh Tallus, try using scaleX and scaleY properties on whatever your video output is in Flash.

That might work.

*edit* actually, that would be even more CPU crippling.. so that probably wouldn't help.

Jasconius on