As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How is that even food?

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    But what's this about adding stuff to it? It never occurred to me. The spice packet/spices in the cup along with the freeze dried veggies were always enough for me.

Can I boil it and then toss and egg in there, or toss the egg in first?

I am intrigued. I have tons of Ramen at home. And eggs. No scallions though. :(

I add the egg at the end. You can beat it for an egg drop soup style or you can crack the egg and drop it straight in the soup.

Ramen is one of those things that you can pretty much add anything to it. Have fun and satisfy mysterious cravings.

Drake on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why put that much sodium into your body when all you need is some sort of pasta/noodle. Or i all the sodium in the packet?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Why put that much sodium into your body when all you need is some sort of pasta/noodle. Or i all the sodium in the packet?

It's all in the packet.

Sheep on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EDIT

And Ramen's the best thing ever for a sore throat.

It has to be all that salt. You're practically gargling salt water when you eat a cup of instant noodles.

emnmnme on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The theater near where I work sells $2 Nathan's Hot Dogs and has a full ice cream shop in it. The "artsy" side of it (mostly limited release movies, 'only in New York and LA' except we're in a Chicago suburb and we still get them suckers!) has a full bar and pool tables. Sooooo....
    I'd never leave.

We have Alamo Drafthouse/Movie Taverns here. Food sucks, but a steady supply of brewskis can make me sit through any chick flick.

GungHo on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    s_86 wrote: »
    Everyone keeps talking about Kimchi being a snack... do you guys mean like, you just take it out and eat it alone? Or like pack it in tupperware and eat it as a snack during your break at work?

Cause... I only every really eat Kimchi with Ramen, or with some kind of meat... I find you guys really weird.

I'll eat kimchi on its own, as it is fantastic stuff, and I always have some in the fridge to munch on. I've never actually eaten it with ramen, and the only way I've ever eaten it cooked with something is in kimchi jigae, which I am addicted to.

oldmanken on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Does Kraft Cheese Spread in a jar still exist? I used to love that as a sandwich filling when I was a kid.

Also, what the fuck did you do to that ramen? This is ramen:

chashumens.jpg

that's overkill...

I made Beer Food. That's more like a meal.

Beer Food > meal food
    and American "cheese" > your life.

in all honesty tho, my original recipe for thsi concotion called for a handful of shredded mild cheddar, but I tried it once with American and was pretty much hooked.

logic7 on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just discovered Breeze In, a local bakery/deli, open 24/7, also has a soft serve ice cream machine that pours out vanilla icecream with flavoring syrup in 4 ribbons along the side. Apparently, you can mix whatever flavors you like. A large waffle cone with Butter Pecan/Rootbear icecream cured all the sads on my sunday night.

This place also serves baked potatoes with all the fixin's with fucking shredded pork verde on top. That shit is bomb.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is why you're fat has a picture of a vile-looking Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich. At least compared to the Hot Brown they make at the Brown Hotel, which looks wonderful. But the yellowness of the sauce on the blog site is just... Eww.

Crimsondude on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I put the seasoning packet into the water before I boil it. then I add in things like worcestershire sauce and a bit of liquid smoke, and some cumin, and/or other spices to the liquid. then, if i have it, i add in froen veggies and some stir-fry sauce seasoned carne picatta beef.

lonelyahava on
    edited May 2009
    That seems like a quite a bit of sodium.

Crimsondude on
  • pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eating raw ramen as a snack is pretty good. Open up the top of the package, pour in the seasoning, and then shake vigorously. My friend likes to make his own seasoning for ramen, but he keeps the flavor packs and sprinkles it on his pop corn.

pinenut_canary on
  • KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I always add tabasco to my ramen. If we go out to eat ramen I usually get the とんとんめん (tontonmen) which can be pretty spicy depending on the shop. Spicy is good.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eating raw ramen as a snack is pretty good. Open up the top of the package, pour in the seasoning, and then shake vigorously. My friend likes to make his own seasoning for ramen, but he keeps the flavor packs and sprinkles it on his pop corn.

Yeah, raw ramen is pretty good if you're high or starving.

By starving, I mean literally starving to death. Because that's what it would take for it to make it tasty.

BloodySloth on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a very simple ramen recipe. Keep in mind I'm lazy, so I use cup-o-noodles, not brick ramen. Chicken, usually.

Before adding water, I add a very fair amount of powdered garlic and dried minced onion. After I pour in the water and let it cook for a few minutes, I stir it while adding in some soy sauce.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited May 2009

Yeah, raw ramen is pretty good if you're high or starving.

By starving, I mean literally starving to death. Because that's what it would take for it to make it tasty.

I always ate when either drunk or high. The best thing in the world.

pinenut_canary on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I just discovered Breeze In, a local bakery/deli, open 24/7, also has a soft serve ice cream machine that pours out vanilla icecream with flavoring syrup in 4 ribbons along the side. Apparently, you can mix whatever flavors you like. A large waffle cone with Butter Pecan/Rootbear icecream cured all the sads on my sunday night.

This place also serves baked potatoes with all the fixin's with fucking shredded pork verde on top. That shit is bomb.

Breeze In... you.. you live in Juneau.

I'm not really prepared to have another Juneau-ite here...

Okay, relevant conversation: Breeze In is pretty bomb for the emergency food department. Have you tried their sandwiches? best in town, my friend. If you want something seriously bad for your health but tasty as fuck, you want to try the Michaelangelo.

If I recall correctly, it features turkey and some sort of tomatoe concoction with pesto sauce and some sort of cheese. Also, the bread has sun-dried tomatoes baked in. It is so good, though your stomach may have a riot. It's really... creamy.

Silas Brown on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    KG3000 wrote: »
    I always add tabasco to my ramen. If we go out to eat ramen I usually get the とんとんめん (tontonmen) which can be pretty spicy depending on the shop. Spicy is good.

180px-Sriracha_hot_chili_sauce.jpg

BubbaT on
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/dining/20united.html

rufo on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    rufo wrote: »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/dining/20united.html
    It's so funny how this is just becoming mainstream-popular, when it's been around for almost 30 years.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

had some of that a few years ago. My eldest daughter wanted to see what it smelled like and held it to her nose and gave the bottle a gentle squeeze...

... is sprayed out and got in her eyes. her face turned red and everything! It took 20 min of eye rinsing to get the pain under control. She hasn't sniffed hot sauce ever since.

logic7 on
    edited May 2009
    Breeze-In-Gazm

Breeze-In-gazm

I havn't hit the sandwhichs yet. I'm actually new here, moved down for a promotion with state work. Damn if they don't make some amazing baked potatoes with shredded pork on top too. I've seen your posts around, but didn't want to be that guy like "hey, you live here, I live here, we should be super-secret-friends!" But now that you've noticed me, I'm totally prepared for that commitment. :winky:

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's true. I first found it going out for pho every weekend; all the good Vietnamese places keep it, and pho is about x1000 better with it. When I finally decided to start making my own pho I knew I would have to have it, and there are enough Asian grocery stores around where I live that I found it easily. It's cheap, comes in huge bottles, and makes everything tasty.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Ugh.

I want Ramen so hard right now.

I know what I'm eating for dinner.

Sheep on
    edited May 2009
    Ugh.

I want Ramen so hard right now.

I know what I'm eating for dinner.

It's so tasty, and cheap, and so bad for you in so many ways. Not to mention on the rare occasion that I do have it, I have to refrain from putting cheese on top.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    edited May 2009
    Breeze-In-Gazm

Breeze-In-gazm

I havn't hit the sandwhichs yet. I'm actually new here, moved down for a promotion with state work. Damn if they don't make some amazing baked potatoes with shredded pork on top too. I've seen your posts around, but didn't want to be that guy like "hey, you live here, I live here, we should be super-secret-friends!" But now that you've noticed me, I'm totally prepared for that commitment. :winky:
    Bah. I can get one down the street and get a potato with 1/3 lb. of shredded pork or beef, or just have them toss some regular brisket or whatever (beef, poultry, pork, maybe some trout).

Crimsondude on
  • s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    -

s_86 on
    edited May 2009
    If wikipedia says this is what ramen should look like...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen (look at images at bottom)
    Then I must be doing something wrong... something... really wrong.

Holy shit there are ramen vending machines.

pinenut_canary on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

Do you know nothing of Japan?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fuck I am hungry!

RoyceSraphim on
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

The more ignorant I am of Japan, the higher the quality of life I lead.

pinenut_canary on
    edited May 2009
    That sounds like a good plan.

Crimsondude on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Breeze-In-Gazm

Breeze-In-gazm

Welcome to Juneau. :D I'm a state employee as well; I bet we've run into eachother a million times before and don't even know it. Oh, the thrill. :P

Anyway, I'm curious about this amazing baked potato you're talking about. The Breeze-In I go to (Valley, across from McDonald's) doesn't have such a thing that I'm aware of. Or maybe that's a daytime only thing?

Silas Brown on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well shit, you think? Instant ramen is as comparable to real ramen as is that just-add-water-and-nuke spaghetti is to the real thing.
    Scalfin wrote: »

The more ignorant I am of Japan, the higher the quality of life I lead.
    Ignorance is bliss, so then you're not pained by all the things you miss.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rarely eat instant ramen anymore, but I did toss in the spice pack before boiling the water. Cooktime was always key for me. The instructions have you cook the noodles for like a minute, but I'd lightly boil mine for 10-15+ minutes. The noodles swell up to like 2-3X regular diameter and they get soft and you're left with a lot less broth.

Djeet on
    edited May 2009
    Breeze-In-Gazm

Breeze-In-gazm

Welcome to Juneau. :D I'm a state employee as well; I bet we've run into eachother a million times before and don't even know it. Oh, the thrill. :P

Anyway, I'm curious about this amazing baked potato you're talking about. The Breeze-In I go to (Valley, across from McDonald's) doesn't have such a thing that I'm aware of. Or maybe that's a daytime only thing?

Dude, hit up Lemon Creek Breeze in, the deli there is amazing. Jesus Christ that deli is so full of win. They actually weighed my burrito to see if it was a record setter. It was 1 ounce off. I live in the valley, but the wife works by costco. And to keep this thread somewhat on topic, I would like to elect chicken bakes from Costco, they are the most delicious thing to ever look like a puss and sinew filled organ. Gotta be 1000 calories and some change on those babies.

PM me if you ever want to hook up sometime, I could use more friends here!

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Instant ramen....pffft! Instant grits, instant oatmeal, instant rice - all terrible and barely qualify as food when they're placed next to their prepared counterparts. Boil your damn rice like normal people and quit rushing to fix dinner!

emnmnme on
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Instant ramen....pffft! Instant grits, instant oatmeal, instant rice - all terrible and barely qualify as food when they're placed next to their prepared counterparts. Boil your damn rice like normal people and quit rushing to fix dinner!

Or get a $15.00 rice maker and have it do it for you.

EDIT: Then again Alton Brown would say that's a unitasker and doesn't belong in the kitchen.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The fire extinguisher is the only unitasker he allows in his kitchen.
    Obviously he doesn't have a rolling office chair in his kitchen.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Or get a $15.00 rice maker and have it do it for you.

EDIT: Then again Alton Brown would say that's a unitasker and doesn't belong in the kitchen.

Roger Ebert would disagree.

rufo on