As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to tell if a laptop supports VGA-to-Component cables

JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
My friend bought a new laptop today (CQ60-228US, Compaq Presario) with a VGA-out port. He has a HDTV (Sanyo DP50747, Plasma) that has HDMI, Component, Composite etc. Unfortunately it has no DVI or VGA inputs.

He wants to hook the laptop up to the TV for easy viewing; the problem is that VGA -> HDMI cables are a good $100+. I found some VGA -> Component cables for cheap (at Monoprice.com), but the warning states:

"THIS CABLE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPUTER'S VGA PORT TO THE COMPONENET INPUT ON YOUR HDTV unless your video card supports component out function through it's VGA port (please confirm with your video cards documentation before purchasing)"

Alas, I cannot find anywhere on the net or the manuals whether the onboard video (NVIDIA GeForce 8200M) supports this or not. Granted, the cable is only $2.00~ so even if it doesn't work, it's not a big loss. But he is very interested in getting this thing hooked up so even if this idea doesn't work, we'd like to find out a way to do it.

Lemme know if you need anything else answered about the products in question.

Joeslop on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't.

VGA-to-component cables are generally for projector systems that use the 15-pin connector for both to save board space.

There is a very, very, very small number of video cards that support YPbPr over their 15-pin connectors. And I have yet to see a laptop with one.

Also, VGA-to-HDMI will cost $100 because it actually has to encode the analog RGB VGA signal into a digital one before the HDMI device will understand it. You might be able to get a VGA-to-component transcoder for less.

Right now his only option is to hook it up via S-Video (which the TV should also have) or spend the $100 for the transcoder. Alternatively, return the notebook and buy one with either an HDMI port right on it or a DVI port, the former being more common.

TL;DR it doesn't have it

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's the route I figured we'd have to go. S-video only goes up to 480i though, right? His TV is a 50" plasma , so I'm not sure about the video quality, but he may not care too much.

Thanks for the response.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Joeslop wrote: »
    That's the route I figured we'd have to go. S-video only goes up to 480i though, right?

Right.
    His TV is a 50" plasma , so I'm not sure about the video quality

"Utter shit" is a good description.
    but he may not care too much.

He really should, it's going to be p.bad. Long as he's just playing video it'll be "acceptable" ... but he's definitely squandering the TV's potential.
    Thanks for the response.

No problem. :)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Joeslop wrote: »
    That's the route I figured we'd have to go. S-video only goes up to 480i though, right?

Right.
    His TV is a 50" plasma , so I'm not sure about the video quality

"Utter shit" is a good description.
    but he may not care too much.

He really should, it's going to be p.bad. Long as he's just playing video it'll be "acceptable" ... but he's definitely squandering the TV's potential.
    Thanks for the response.

No problem. :)

He's ususally pretty laid back about quality on some things as long as it works. Mostly it would be used for internet videos or other things he has downloaded.

It might give me fits if I'm watching while he's there but hey, it's his TV.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If the laptop has an s-video port it MIGHT support an s-video to component adaptor. It's more likely than vga to component, but still not guaranteed.

The Deliverator on