As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] King of the Trollhaunt Warrens - Table Talk Thread

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you've got the buff to your AC

he has a -2 to attack from marking

if he misses you with an OA you get a free attack

if he hits you with an OA, Aziz gets an immediate attack

either way Siali can't take damage on an OA

god damn I love playing a Bravura Warlord

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FYI, the computer which has photoshop on it may have died last night (I suspect it's the power supply, which made chugging noises before refusing to turn on), if it isn't better today (IE, it was just overheated or something), then I will have to find another solution for mapping in the interim.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited April 2009
    occasionally if I am lazy I will just copy the previous map into paint and draw arrows to indicate where everyone moved, then do it the right way later.

it's kind of like the football-team chalkboard cliché thing

edit: like this

balswarm.png

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that looks like some horrifying cross breed of d&d and an adventure text game :P

psolms on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's dark. You are likely to be eaten by B2.

Denada on
    edited April 2009
    psolms wrote: »
    that looks like some horrifying cross breed of d&d and an adventure text game :P

which is because it is from my star wars game of course

heh

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited April 2009
    hey psolms i think you may have forgotten to subtract your damage from Gladiator B's hit point total

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited April 2009
    well ill be a drunk idiot... i did

inx, can you correct that on yours too?

psolms on
    edited May 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    you've got the buff to your AC

he has a -2 to attack from marking

if he misses you with an OA you get a free attack

if he hits you with an OA, Aziz gets an immediate attack

either way Siali can't take damage on an OA

god damn I love playing a Bravura Warlord

I warned ya, DVG.

This is likely to pretty much negate a lot of stuff that happened that last turn.

Siali does not get hit with the OA and therefore is not bloodied. Aziz takes the damage instead, and he is not bloodied either.

Which probably means Glad. B does not get to use finishing blow (I'm assuming by its name that it's an attack made against a bloodied target, plus it goes along with the whole dragonborn thing)

And that probably means that Siali takes less damage since apparently that's a 2d10 attack as opposed to their normal 1d10 attack.

And might also mean Glad. D does not hit Aziz since there's no buff from Finishing Blow and that would put his attack below Aziz' armor class.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    so i wont be on at all tomorrow... i got an 18 hour work day coming up. lame sauce.

psolms on
    edited May 2009
    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    I'm still here dudes.

At the moment trying to figure out how many healing surges Aziz has left.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Alright after spending surges to get back to full it looks like Aziz has 4 healing surges left.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alright, I cannot for the life of me find my players handbook. Can anyone post the jump check results block for both horizontal and vertical? Or at least give me the pattern.

'll be back in a few hours to make my move.

Foolish Chaos on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jump
    Make an Athletics check to jump vertically to reach a
    dangling rope or a high ledge or to jump horizontally
    to leap across a pit, a patch of difficult terrain, a low
    wall, or some other obstacle.

High Jump: Part of a move action.
    Distance Jumped Vertically: Make an Athletics
    check and divide your check result by 10 (round
    down). This is the number of feet you can leap up.
    The result determines the height that your feet clear
    with a jump. To determine if you can reach some-
    thing while leaping, add your character’s height plus
    one-third rounded down (a 6-foot-tall character
    would add 8 feet to the final distance, and a 4-foot-
    tall character would add 5 feet).
    Running Start: If you move at least 2 squares
    before making the jump, divide your check result by
    5, not 10.
    [/i]Uses Movement:[/i] Count the number of squares you
    jump as part of your move. If you run out of move-
    ment, you fall. You can end your first move in midair
    if you double move (page 284).

Long Jump: Part of a move action.
    Distance Jumped Horizontally: Make an Athlet-
    ics check and divide your check result by 10 (don’t
    round the result). This is the number of squares you
    can leap across. You land in the square determined
    by your result. If you end up over a pit or a chasm,
    you fall and lose the rest of your move action.
    Distance Cleared Vertically: The vertical distance you
    clear is equal to one-quarter of the distance you jumped
    horizontally. If you could not clear the vertical distance
    of an obstacle along the way, you hit the obstacle, fall
    prone, and lose the rest of your move action.
    Running Start: If you move at least 2 squares
    before making the jump, divide your check result by
    5, not 10.
    Uses Movement: Count the number of squares you
    jump as part of your move. If you run out of move-
    ment, you fall. You can end your first move in midair
    if you double move (page 284).

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    I was originally planning to jump the distance, avoiding some attacks of opportunity using the barb power great leap. But now that I look at the rules, I don't think I could do both a horizontal and vertical (jumping over heads) just without some penalties.

Also, for Bravura presence, it states that you get a free basic attack if you hit, and grant CA if you miss. Since I did both, I just applied both. I assume that is how it works?

Edit: And not to brag or anything... but 228 total damage that round. :P <3 invisible castle.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited May 2009
    that was badass, man.

truly badass.

bravura + barbarian = so freaking sweet

hey DVG

do I have an action point?

i have lost count.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Yeah it really made up for my dice rolls with my irl games over the weekend, where they basically took a massive dump on me.

Foolish Chaos on
    edited May 2009
    Hey DVG,

Is there any way I can give you "contingency orders" for Aziz since he has two interrupts? It's inconvenient (and potentially can completely screw us over in tactics, like the last encounter when Siali would not have taken so much damage due to not being bloodied from Aziz' interrupts) when I don't have the chance to use those powers immediately after one of your in-game combat posts.

It would be very helpful to me.

For example:

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Hey DVG,

Is there any way I can give you "contingency orders" for Aziz since he has two interrupts? It's inconvenient (and potentially can completely screw us over in tactics, like the last encounter when Siali would not have taken so much damage due to not being bloodied from Aziz' interrupts) when I don't have the chance to use those powers immediately after one of your in-game combat posts.

It would be very helpful to me.

For example:
    \

If you want to make up some simple gambits, I'll do my best to honor them, but I don't promise I'll always remember.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    well those two you quoted would be my simple gambits, they would really help with me being able to use two of Aziz' encounter powers.

i would really appreciate you remembering them

I hate to complain because I think you are doing an awesome job!, but to be honest I think we really got fucked over in that last encounter because we weren't able to negate the damage to Siali with Shielding Retaliation, which meant that not only was she impacted on her healing surge resources, but it also impacted Aziz' ability to heal during the encounter.

if you don't want to deal with it that's okay

but if that's going to be the case I would request to retrain those powers.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    well those two you quoted would be my simple gambits, they would really help with me being able to use two of Aziz' encounter powers.

i would really appreciate you remembering them

I hate to complain because I think you are doing an awesome job!, but to be honest I think we really got fucked over in that last encounter because we weren't able to negate the damage to Siali with Shielding Retaliation, which meant that not only was she impacted on her healing surge resources, but it also impacted Aziz' ability to heal during the encounter.

if you don't want to deal with it that's okay

but if that's going to be the case I would request to retrain those powers.

Hey, I understand, this is just one of the implications of doing this on a board instead of in real time. The powers are designed under the idea that you can say "Hey I'm doing this" while someone else is taking their turn, instead of when you happen to login after the fact.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    I was pretty sure you understood.

The last two lines of text are those to which I would appreciate a response.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    also do you want to do a round update before i take my turn?

psolms on
    edited May 2009
    psolms wrote: »
    also do you want to do a round update before i take my turn?

Unless you need it to figure something out, I wasn't going to bother, he's circling the drain.

@Horseshoe, I'll do my best to honor your request. You can retrain them if you'd rather do that. I'm not fussed either way.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    Thanks man! I really do like those powers.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    so is the encounter over now?

aziz gots things to say.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Yes, the encounter is over.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    alright apparently i'm not getting it so i'll just can my IC posts and ask questions here.
    In this case, yup. If this was something an enemy had done and wasn't being narrated openly, you would have had to make these rolls to even have a chance of noticing, and the fact that you as a player are aware of the other player's actions and can thus form an argument on why you should just know shouldn't preclude your need to make these checks.

actually what i did was assume he didn't a) notice she made a stealth kill or b) figure out that she was lying just by hearing it. i mean, if I made either of those rolls that's what I would know. but that's not very interesting IMO so I just assumed failure and moved on, pointing out something else. for example, something about the guy who was affected by one of his powers... I think it'd be clear enough that someone adjacent to you had a weapon.
    And yes, the DCs are high, but consistent with unraveling the plot of an uncommonly good rogue based on the checks she made.

unraveling? i don't think that's what i'm doing.

i think unraveling would be actually rolling against those checks and either a) successfully have seen her kill the mayor or b) know damn well that she's lying. not really what i'm going for here.
    Further, I wouldn't describe a count of how many mundane daggers a person carries on their belt versus their signature special daggers is "Obvious" unless you're Batman. It's like playing Scene It where after a movie clip it asks you how many candles were on the table.

i'm making the assumption that we're a band of 11th level adventurers who've been through a lot of shit and know each other pretty well. Siali takes particular pride in her daggers and doesn't tend to ditch them after throwing them... i figured an empty sheath would be out of character.

really, I'm not really sure how i'm screwing things up here. pretty much as far as i can tell, i just handed the ball to siali to let her run with it next. which is why i didn't make any skill checks... no reason to roll on something when i'm not "busting" the character on anything.

i'll just leave it alone till i figure out how you do things.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    i think the main concern was just that the way you replied was as if you knew... thats all... no harm in asking questions, but you have no reason to suspect me (unless you make your checks) and so no reason for the pointed questions

psolms on
    edited May 2009
    uh.

like i said, i already assumed failure for what you rolled on.

i have to roll to be suspicious?

i thought i had to roll to know if something happened or not.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009

If Aziz is unaware that anything below board happened, why is he suspicious?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    i guess it comes down to how much you trust siali... in character..

if you have grown to trust that she is generally decent in your adventures together, then yeah, you should roll to be suspicious... that is to say, rolling to see if you saw anything (perception or insight) isnt being suspicious. but the outcome determines if you should be suspicious or not. if you beat the insight dc, all you would know is that i sound like im lying...

for the record, im ok with y'all finding out this way, so dont feel bad for rolling to try and catch me in the act. its good character development. in fact, it would be the best if someone other than aziz saw it too/instead and brought it up in solitude.. cause i know aziz would not bring it up in soitude :P

psolms on
    edited May 2009
    I'm just saying there are a lot of ways to roleplay this out and ask questions about what happened, but if you want to enter into it accusatory like you did, I would request, as the DM, that you please make the checks to lend justification to the suspcion or edit the post to change the tone. I'm not asking a ton, here.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    DVG wrote: »

If Aziz is unaware that anything below board happened, why is he suspicious?

Siali didn't save the Mayor. He asked "what happened?" Mayor has a dagger in her throat. Brigand still had his when he attacks Aziz. Siali is down a dagger. "where's your dagger?" Siali could easily try to cover this, too. Heck... she'd probably succeed.

Anyway, never mind. I'll just stay out of the character development game since apparently the way I've played social/skill stuff apparently is much different from yours. We'd just end up having this same discussion the next time something similar happened.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    I sincerely doubt there are going to be a ton of similar situations in this adventure once we get back to the published materials and out of "Background Story Bonus Encounter."

But hey, if you really feel that strongly about not making any checks associated with your IC comments, then I won't force the issue. I'm not trying to persecute you over this or ruin your enjoyment of the game, but as DM it's my job to make these calls, and I feel like if you want to say "One of your daggers is missing, start explaining yourself" you need a basis for your suspicions other than OOC assumptions about what a character is like outside of what that character's player has described.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited May 2009
    Dude there's no reason for me to make checks with the IC post I had made.

Because it is mechanically impossible for Aziz to hit a 38 and a 25 in two untrained skills.

Which is why I assumed failure and posted about something that was not a part of Siali's stealth and bluff rolls.

Aziz cannot participate due to having a low wisdom and the incorrect skill selection.

So basically that's it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    I'm just going to go with nothing. I can't tell what it is you are looking for. Agreeing to disagree is easier.

edit: DVG you know you can delete a post using the edit button down in the right hand corner, yeah?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited May 2009
    By George, you're right. Since you made a new post it seemed prudent to let the conversation drop.

Rest 'o The Party: What're you up to?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857