As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Connecting an LG Rhythm (AX585) to a computer

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
My wife has a new LG Rhythm (Alltel's name for the AX585) and I cannot, for the life of me, get it to connect to our computer. I've downloaded the drivers and Windows recognizes it. I've downloaded BitPim, but unfortunately her phone is not listed, and will not auto-detect. There have been several posts on several forums that say setting it to a different model will make it work, but, as I am here asking for help, that is clearly not the case.

Both the LG and Alltel sites are absolutely atrocious regarding downloads, and apparently my Google-fu is weak.

Has anyone out there successfully transferred info to/from their LG AX585? My wife wants custom ringtones, and I want a less-whiny wife.

Thanks in advance.

SeñorAmor on

• corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Found this on a review site:
    Just bought the Rhythm a few weeks ago and love the phone. However, like many people, I couldn't figure out how to put customized ringtones on to the thing. I spents days browsing for an answer and everything I tried just didn't work. The Rhythm is tricky because when you use the Micro SD card, you can add songs to the "My Audio" folder and then save those to your phone. However, in order for the Rhythm to recognize a file as a ringtone, that file needs to be in the My Ringers folder. And unfortunately I have yet to find a way to personally access this folder. It doesn't show up on the Micro SD card and I can't move songs into that folder to use as ringtones.

But GOOD NEWS! After many failed experiments, I finally read a post with a solution that REALLY WORKS! And I will share it here for all you other frusterated Rhythm users. The answer is www.ventones.com. This is a website that allows users to upload any music file off their computer and send it to their phone as a ringtone. And it really does work, I tried it with success. Here are a couple tips....first of all, the service is free so don't let the fact that you have to sign up for it scare you away. Second, currently the site doesn't have the Rhythm listed when you set up your make and model...no problem though just choose "Not Listed" and manually put in the model when prompted. Third, after you create/save your ringtone, you are told you have three ways to get the ringtone onto your phone. My experience was that only one way worked...you have to access the Rhythms web browser, go the menu and click on "go to url" and type in the web address that ventone gives you on their website after you create your ringtone. If you don't have web access on your phone, you will need to purchase the day pass. After you type in the ventone url, your phone will show a "web download" happening. And finally, the song is downloaded directly into the My Ringers! Yipee! It may seem like a lot, but it's actually pretty easy and it works! Good luck to all of you.

corky842 on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I appreciate the post, but unfortunately that doesn't help me with things like pictures, address books and so forth.

Plus, I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party service to transfer songs to my wife's phone. It has an mp3 player and support for SD cards. They can't honestly expect me to transfer 4gigs of mp3s to some site in order to get them on my phone.

Thank you again for the effort.

SeñorAmor on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have the same phone. It replaced my 2ish year old LG phone.

I've tried in vain to connect the phone directly to the computer. As far as I can tell, there are no drivers available for it. Now, I did not purchase the $50 music kit, because I already had a useable USB cable and memory card, so there might be something in that to help.

What I've done is get one of these at walmart for a few bucks. Then used an adapter I already had to stick the microSD in there. If you've already formatted the card with your phone, the folders are all there.

Unfortunately, I can't add any mp3s to my Ringers folder. It doesn't seem to be accessible. The option to Set As a ringer doesn't show up for anything I've added. The Ventones thing doesn't work for me either. I can only get corrupted versions of my uploads, but they still don't land in the Ringers folder, and I still can't set anything as a ringtone that isn't in that folder. As near as I can tell, the only way to get true "custom" ringtones on an Alltel phone is to pay for and download it from their Realtone program. Of course, they don't have what I want...

If you figure something out, please let me know.

Oh yeah, this works for pictures too. No problem setting those as backgrounds or Caller ID

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    edited December 2008
    Ok, well I'm determined (mostly thru pressure from my wife) to get this issue resolved. I've changed the thread title to be a little bit more accurate, and I'm hoping someone out there has the answer at least 2 of us are looking for.

Please, if you know anything about this, post in this thread. If you're better at Googling than I am, please let us know how we can fix this.

Thanks.

SeñorAmor on
  • rondaronda Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I'm trying to figure this phone out my self, have you found an answer to your questions???? Please help I'm about ready to pull my hair out on this one.

Thanks Ronda
    ronda@allmyscrap.com
    http://rondasscrap.blogspot.com

ronda on
  • gaturbevgaturbev Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I think I have an answer on this.

First, today I went to my local Alltel store so I could sit down with a rep. The lady tells me that you can't hook an LG Rhythm to a computer. (You have to take the SD card out, and use a card reader, she says.) I told her that was disappointing because I could plug in my MOTO-ROKR and drag and drop music to it. When she said that she was told that wasn't possible with a ROKR, I knew I was in the wrong place.

So, I walked out and called Alltel Customer Service from the car. The rep on the phone was much more knowledgeable. (And he was disappointed at the info I was given at the store.) He said I need to get the music kit (MMUOA02 is their item number.) The price was $34.99 - $10 rebate ($24.99).

It comes with a cable (already have one), a 2 GB card (already have one) and $30 in free eMusic (anyone can get this trial). I asked if they had just the drivers for cheaper, and he said they didn't.

I told him I would have to think about it. I said I believe I can get a SD reader for $5 - $7. He said that's actually probably easier. (I found one on sale at Target for $4.99. Ohm USB 2.0 compact SDHC multi-card reader)

I'm just going to use that method until someone else buys the driver. The $24.99 wouldn't be a bad deal if you needed a cable and card. But I hated to pay that amount when all I need are the drivers.

gaturbev on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Howard Forums is really the first and last stop when it comes to cell phone questions. The guys there are amazing about figuring stuff like this out.

According to them, Bitpim will find your phone if you put it into "modem mode" once it's connected to the PC. The drivers from LG VX8500 will work with it. You may have to find the port the phone connects to (from Bitpim's list) and manually select it.

After you get it up, follow this process to load mp3 ringtones:
    have the newest version of bitpim
    make sure you have the drivers for the USB cable you are using.
    open bitpim
    let it find the phone(it will come up as other CDMA phone)
    click FILESYSTEM on the left at the bottom
    expand the folder
    click dload
    right click on lg_mysound.dat and save it to your desktop
    after you save it right click lg_mysound.dat in bitpim and delete it
    now click brew
    click media
    click lk
    click ms

now drop the songs you want to use as ringers in this file. they will automaticlly load into your phone. it isnt the fastest process but it works.

after they are done loading onto the phone, unhook USB cable from computer, power the phone off and then back on.

the items you just transferred with now be in the my audio file where they need to be to assign them for individual ringers.

NOTE:

everytime you wnat to add new ringers to the phone you have to complete all the steps above, even the deleting that one certain file. not a very hard process and has worked well for me.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited December 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Howard Forums is really the first and last stop when it comes to cell phone questions. The guys there are amazing about figuring stuff like this out.

According to them, Bitpim will find your phone if you put it into "modem mode" once it's connected to the PC. The drivers from LG VX8500 will work with it. You may have to find the port the phone connects to (from Bitpim's list) and manually select it.

open bitpim
    expand the folder
    click dload
    now click brew
    click media
    click lk
    click ms

now drop the songs you want to use as ringers in this file. they will automaticlly load into your phone. it isnt the fastest process but it works.

after they are done loading onto the phone, unhook USB cable from computer, power the phone off and then back on.

the items you just transferred with now be in the my audio file where they need to be to assign them for individual ringers.

NOTE:

everytime you wnat to add new ringers to the phone you have to complete all the steps above, even the deleting that one certain file. not a very hard process and has worked well for me.

It works!

You, sir, are a GOD.

Thank you so much. :)

SeñorAmor on
    edited December 2008
    no prob. Love not having to pay for ringtones!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. Sucks I'm limited to the phone's internal memory though.

SeñorAmor on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah. Sucks I'm limited to the phone's internal memory though.

You can tone down the quality (and length) of your ringtones so you can fit tons of them on the internal memory. I usually drop them down to 64kbps mono and about 30 seconds in length and they end up only being a few tens of k each. Takes very little memory and because your phone is in your pocket and the ringer speaker usually isn't that good, you don't notice any difference.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • rondaronda Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    I'm old and I need screen shots can someone please help me

TIA Ronda
    ronda@allmyscrap.com

ronda on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am totally bookmarking this page so I can do this when I ever get around to getting a cable for my AX300.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • sandsstormsandsstorm Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    WOW

AMAZING!!

I hacked my phone as per your instructions.... Thanx... Its FUN!!

Now,, If you could help me with one simple thing...

Is there a way I can delete all the generic TONES?

I would like to do this to be able to set my ringtones in random and also to make more room for other personal ringers?

If you can help please let me know...

I want to delete any unessesary crap from my phone... all generic rings and wallpapers....

TYIA

Luie

sandsstorm on
    edited January 2009
    If I had to guess, you basically just need to find the ringer files in the phone's folders in bitpim. It's usually fairly obvious due to the naming which ones are there, but having never used it for your model, I couldn't say for sure.

But once you do find them, just delete and they should be gone. Delete files at your own risk though.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • megn316megn316 Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Ok, so I guess Im really technically challenged! I just got the LG Rhythm and like many it seems am trying to figure out how to get ringtones on it without having to pay. I previously had a razr and a program to do so and how no problems making my own. I tried everything, even a website similar to the one suggested above. But you have to have the web on your phone to get them since obvioulsy Im not able to put them on directly from my computer. I stumbled across this forum in my searches and I got the bitpim program and am trying to figure it out. It did not find the rhythm so I used the one suggested...but I cant find anywhere that says "filesystem" on the left at the bottom. Please help me...I miss my ringtones!! Im no longer a wife but Im one of those whiny woman thats gonna be upset until I get them....pleasssssssse!!

megn316 on
    edited January 2009
    I sent the following to someone who had asked for further help in a PM. Hope it helps.
    Bitpim (www.bitpim.org) and the LG VX8500 drivers (http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/at...te_drivers.zip) which are not technically for your phone, but apparently they work for Bitpim, then I can try to provide a more detailed explanation of what is going on.

Connect the phone to the computer. Let the computer install all the proper drivers (the new hardware detected stuff) and once it's done, start BitPim. It should detect the phone and which COM port it is using. If it doesn't detect the phone, it will tell you.

If it doesn't auto-detect the phone, you can try to manually set it for the VX8500 (as your model is probably not listed, but you could look) when it prompts you to change the settings.

On the left side of the screen are the different areas of the phone you can access. Unfortunately, because of the heavy protection and BitPim not fully accessing the phone yet, you can't really use any of them.

Towards the bottom of the left side, however, is a button called "Filesystem". This basically just loads up the phone as if it were a hard drive and you can see the folder structure of the phone and all the system files in it. Click that.

On the right/middle part of the screen, you will see a single entry called "Filesystem" with a plus next to it. Click the plus, and wait for it to read your phone and display the filesystem.

Once it expands, there should be a folder called "dload". Short for download. This is where the phone would download ringers if you purchased them. Click this folder to view the files inside.

There should be a file inside called "lg_mysound.dat" This is a database of the current ringtones that you have purchased. Because Bitpim can't automatically update this file, it prevents you from inputting ringtones the easy way.

Right click this file and export it (save it) to your computer, just in case anything goes wrong. This will allow you to basically revert back to how your phone was before you started.

Once you save it, delete it from the phone. (right click and delete)

Once you delete it, find the folder called "Brew" and open it up.

There should be a folder called "Media", open that one.

There should be another folder called "LK" and expand that.

Lastly, there should be a folder called "MS". This is where the ringtones are stored. Open that folder and you will probably see some ringtones.

This is where you will drag and drop ringtones you want to use into your phone. To create ringers, on the left hand menu you will see a "Ringtones" option. If you click that icon two new icons will show up at the top bar for importing and exporting ringtones. Click the "Add new ringtone button" and select an MP3 song.

Once it loads it will bring up the dialog box to create a ringtone. First options are quality. I usually set my ringtones to mono because it's a smaller file size, and then set them to 64kbits per second so they actually sound good. Then click "Convert".

Once it converts, the bottom half of the window is available. This allows you to trim the ringtone to the ~30 second window you want to play. Technically you don't have to trim it, but the ringtone will be huge if you don't, and you'll only hear the first 30 seconds anyway. So if you want the chorus, find out how many seconds into the song it starts and then you can determine the length of time from that point you want it to play.

(You don't have to listen to it through BitPim, because it's VERY slow. You can listen to the song on your Zune, iPod, CD, or Computer to find out what second the section you want starts. Once you type in the numbers, make sure to click the "SET" button to save your settings, then click ok to save the ringtone. Make sure everything is correct before clicking ok. Because once you save it, you can't make changes to it unless you want to start from the beginning. You can click play at this point (before hitting ok) to make sure it sounds like you want it to and you got the correct section.

Once you save the ringtone, you will notice it shows up on the right side of the screen. Right click this and click "save" to save it to your computer. Then from your computer, you can drag the .mp3 file into that "MS" folder in the filesystem to send it to your phone. Once you've sent the ringtones you want, disconnect the phone, shut it off then turn it back on, and the ringtones should show up.

Now, each time you want to add ringtones, you have to delete the LG Mysound.dat file because it only has the ringtones currently listed on the phone in it. When you reboot it the phone recreates that file with your new ringers so it will block you from adding more unless you delete the file again. Which makes it annoying, but at least it's possible to do.

bitpim.jpg

If I get some time later I'll try to post up some more pictures of the Bitpim gui, but since I don't have this phone, it won't be exactly the same. But there's a picture showing the Filesystem button on the left portion of the program and how it brings up the filesystem folders in the middle once it's clicked. I can't show beyond that right now as I don't have my phone cable to connect up.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2009
    Sigh...well I got farther this time than before...lol. I ran into a problem when I expanded the filesystem folder..it does not bring anything up...no dload folder. I tried to create my own and got a message that said "LG-VX8500 on COM1: The phone is not responding while transitioning mode from none to brew. See help for troubleshooting" (which I did and it didnt help). Grrr...it really shouldnt be THIS hard to put a few ringtones on your phone!

megn316 on
    edited January 2009
    megn316 wrote: »
    Sigh...well I got farther this time than before...lol. I ran into a problem when I expanded the filesystem folder..it does not bring anything up...no dload folder. I tried to create my own and got a message that said "LG-VX8500 on COM1: The phone is not responding while transitioning mode from none to brew. See help for troubleshooting" (which I did and it didnt help). Grrr...it really shouldnt be THIS hard to put a few ringtones on your phone!

This is why they sell them to you. They want it to be hard to do it for free. :D

It says COM1 which I believe means that it's not detecting the phone. Make sure the drivers are installed and that Windows is picking up the phone properly when you connect it. If you go into phone settings, you should be able to bring up a window (I'll check this when I get home) that lists your COM ports and what is connected to each. My phone connects on COM15 or so usually, so make sure it's looking at the right place.

When it does find your phone successfully, the little circle on the bottom goes from red to yellow or green and it will expand the filesystem as it reads the phone.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2009
    Ok, here's some pictures:
    When you plug in the phone after installing the drivers, make sure that the computer installed it properly by checking the device manager (accessible through the Windows Properties screen - Win-Pause or Right-Click My Computer and click Properties then Device Manager). It should show up in any or all of these locations depending on how the drivers/phone is built.
    DeviceManager.jpg

Once it shows up there, start up Bitpim. It will try to detect the phone and if it does, it will show this:
    PhoneDetection.jpg

Notice if it detects it will display this at the bottom:
    PhoneStatus.jpg

If it doesn't detect properly, go here and check for the right COM port:
    BrowseCOMports.jpg
    PhoneCOMport.jpg

Once it's connected, here is a shot of the filesystem and where (approximately, as apparently my file is named differently than the instructions, but this is also a different model) the file is you need to delete:
    Filesystem.jpg

Hope that helps.

It's funny when you google this problem now, this thread is near the top of the results. I never expected that.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2009
    YAY!!!! You are now my most favorite person in the world!!!!! If you were in my general vicinity I would give you a big kiss right now!!!!!! I did everything you said...and the ringtones are on my phone. The only thing I did differently was edited my ringtones at www.zedge.net and saved them to my computer. Then I dragged them into the bitpim folder for the ringtones...and it worked perfectly. You are my hero!!!

megn316 on
    edited January 2009
    :D Glad to have helped. I have a very large dislike for paying for ringtones, and I don't think anyone ever should. I just wish it was easier for anyone to do without having to search through forums like this.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • kestout87kestout87 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm having the same problem. I have the LG AX585. I have tried everything you have suggested in this thread. I have downloaded BitPim and the driver for the LG VX8500. I've set my PC connect to modem in my phone. I've turned it off and back on. I've manually selected the phone in Bitpim. I have checked my device manager and I can't seem to get the computer to recognize my phone. Do you have any answers on what I can do? That would be GREAT!

kestout87 on
    edited January 2009
    kestout87 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. I have the LG AX585. I have tried everything you have suggested in this thread. I have downloaded BitPim and the driver for the LG VX8500. I've set my PC connect to modem in my phone. I've turned it off and back on. I've manually selected the phone in Bitpim. I have checked my device manager and I can't seem to get the computer to recognize my phone. Do you have any answers on what I can do? That would be GREAT!

In device manager, check for devices that are unknown while your phone is connected through the cable. Also, I don't think it is necessary to put the phone into any sort of "PC connect" mode. The computer should pick up it's connection anyway. Once the phone is plugged in, there may be a device that is "unknown" that you can right-click and select "Update Driver Software". Make sure the driver you downloaded is extracted into a folder you can find easily. Tell Windows you wish to select the drivers yourself, and select "Other" or "Modem" from the list, then click "Have Disk" and point it to the folder you extracted the drivers to. It may warn you that these drivers are not listed for this device, but you can force it to install them anyway. Once the drivers are installed (it may automatically start installing drivers for 2 or 3 "devices" that are all your phone), you should see the phone show up in device manager in the locations I showed above.

Once it shows up there, Bitpim should be able to find it and you should be good to go with the rest of the instructions.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2009
    When I plug my phone into my computer nothing happens. It is recognizing it only in the fact that it is charging. When I go to Device Manager, I looked in all of the expandable folders. None have my phones name or unknown. I know I have to be doing something wrong, I just have no idea what it is. But this is possible because everyone else has done it! What should happen when I plug my phone into my computer? Is there a setting somewhere on the computer that allows a devicre to automatically be recognized or should this happen anyways....When I plug it in it doesn't do the... found new hardware.... it just shows on my phone that its charging...

kestout87 on
    edited January 2009
    When I plug my phone into my computer nothing happens. It is recognizing it only in the fact that it is charging. When I go to Device Manager, I looked in all of the expandable folders. None have my phones name or unknown. I know I have to be doing something wrong, I just have no idea what it is. But this is possible because everyone else has done it! What should happen when I plug my phone into my computer? Is there a setting somewhere on the computer that allows a devicre to automatically be recognized or should this happen anyways....

I suppose it's possible that you have auto-install turned off, but highly unlikely. Are you running XP or Vista?

You could try to go into "Add New Hardware" from the Control Panel and see if it picks it up that way, or manually install the drivers through that method.

I would also suggest trying to plug the phone into different USB ports. See if perhaps plugging it into a different port restarts the installation process. I've had that happen before.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2009
    I'm running XP. How do I manually install the Drivers that way. I tried to locate the phone through that but it couldn't. I've tried several different ports on two different computers...

kestout87 on
    edited January 2009
    I'm running XP. How do I manually install the Drivers that way. I tried to locate the phone through that but it couldn't. I've tried several different ports on two different computers...

In Control Panel there is a button for "Add Hardware". Use the wizard there to install the phone drivers. I can show some screen shots later when I get to my home PC with XP.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited January 2009
    That would be great! I know how to get to the add hardware, but how to I add the phone drivers? For instance, where do I get them from to install them?

kestout87 on
  • wwwgatorwwwgator Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Hey All,
    I was like you.....looking for a resolution to loading RT's on the UX585.
    After a very disappointing live chat with LG, I played around and found a easy way....
    without drivers or Bitpim.

First, I tred the 8500 driver/ BitPim, but it won't load on a 64bit Vista home premium, even when run as Admin and emulate XP SP3.

What I found out is this.
    Inset MSD (micro SD) card in slot.
    Use the phone to format it- this sets up 4 descrete folders: My Audios, My Images, My Music, My Videos.
    Hook up the phone to the PC ( my home charger actually separates into 2 pieces USB on 1 end, phone connector on the other)

Menu 9-6 (Settings-PC connection)- select USB Mass Storage

You should be able to see removable drive on My Computer- click to open. You should see the 4 folders.

Copy the ringtones into My Audios (pictures or wallpapers into My Images,....)

Menu 4-6 (Multimedia- Audios) will show the newly loaded RT's on the MSD) highlite the ones you want, top right Soft key "Options" - Move/copy (select move) it will propmt you "Move to phone?"- select yes

Do the same for your wallpapers/pictures

Menu 9-1-1 (settings-sound-ringers) select wether you want 1 RT for all calls or select for indiviual RT's

the newly moved files will now show up under the My Ringers Folder
    Select what ever you wish !!!

I even told the 1-800 help line at LG how to do this.......and it's their own product!!!!

FYI- this is a UX585 "RHYTHM" from US Celluar
    I still cannot locate the appropriate driver for the USB Modem (menu 9-6-1)

The following is a copy of my live chat conversation I had today

" 3:41 PM wg: Just a note, I can talk to the sd card, but not the phone. I have selected the
    usb mode as either USB mass storage or USB modem.
    3:42 PM wg: when in modem, I get "no driver" (the yellow ?) in the laptops device manager.....
    I haven't yet found it on your site.....
    3:50 PM Bria: Thank you for holding. I have confirmed you will not be able to transfer items on
    the SD card to the phone. There is not any software to recommend for the phone.
    You will have to locate software. I apologize.
    3:50 PM wg: from where?
    3:51 PM wg: It's your phone and you don't support it ?
    3:51 PM Bria: I am not certain. You will have to locate software on you own.
    3:51 PM Bria: We don't support the software."

So much for their tech support !!!

I like the BitPim, just can;t get it to work on Vista.....

Hope this helps !!!!!

wwwgator on
    edited January 2009
    That method does not work. At least not on my phone. The ringers are still not in the My Ringers folder so therefore cannot be set as a ringtone.

kestout87 on
    edited January 2009
    Maybe I haven't downloaded the correct phone drivers...In a previous post of yours you had the link for the bitpim and the LG AX8500 driver. I downloaded it, and it said it was successful that I could now plug in my USB cable. But yet again, its still not recognized on my computer...

kestout87 on
  • wwwgatorwwwgator Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    That method does not work. At least not on my phone. The ringers are still not in the My Ringers folder so therefore cannot be set as a ringtone.

They don't have to be in the my ringers folder- that folder is written to via easyedge or the factory.
    The driver does not yet exist to directly connect to the phone ( according to both LG and usc)

Select USB mass storage ( menu 9-6-2)
    move the files you want to use as RT's to Audios folder
    Open the multimedia menu (4) then audios (6) select the files that you put into the Audios folder- Options (top right soft key ) move copy (6) -move- you will get a prompt asking you if you want to move to phone- yes

then, open menu 9-1 ( settings- ringers) select all calls or the caller ID , the header should read Audios.
    you should see the ringers folder and the file(s) you moved into the phone...select which file you want

select set and you are done. they do not have to be in the My ringers folder. I have confirmed that this works on Alltel (ax585) and USC (ux585) phones. I have not tried it on Verizon's (vx585)....yet

For the ax585, you can buy ($30) DataPilot that will talk to the phone....it is not compatible with the ux585, although one would think so

wwwgator on
  • balthazarrrbalthazarrr Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    Once you have the added the ringtones you want to the My_Audios folder on your SD card, you may have to switch your phone from USB Mass Storage to USB Modem mode, at Menu>Settings>Pc Connection. Once you have switched the mode of your phone, you should be able to follow wwwgator's instructions on copying the song from the card to the phone.

balthazarrr on
  • KyndrydKyndryd Registered User new member
    edited February 2009
    I got this far with the awesome help of ArcSyn ...
    Now i am trying to figure out how to alter other aspects of my Rhythm
    ... like changing the slide tone and the soft keys

any ideas ... ?

Kyndryd on
  • matt2fatmatt2fat Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    So I have songs in the audios file and when I try to move them from my card to my phone it says invalid filename. Any suggestions on what i'm doing wrong?

matt2fat on
  • garkondsmushrgarkondsmushr Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    okay for altell the driver u need for xp (havnt tried with vista) is the same as the LG chocolate. jsut google it. the chord you need u can also google its about 10 bucks. also u ned bitpim the latest version. you install the drivers open bitpim and plug in your phone. bitpim will not autodetect your phone! you have to set it to "other cdma phone" or something like that. you have to have the "view system files" setting checked under the view options. click the root folder (names "/") and explore throught the fiels( dont delete any!!!) you'll find one with some ringtones files (possible .wav .mp3") you'll recognize them and jsut drag and drop your music into that folder then restart your phone and tada! this does work i have 4 custom ringtones full songs

garkondsmushr on
  • garkondsmushrgarkondsmushr Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    original post

"According to them, Bitpim will find your phone if you put it into "modem mode" once it's connected to the PC. The drivers from LG VX8500 will work with it. You may have to find the port the phone connects to (from Bitpim's list) and manually select it.

quote:
    open bitpim
    expand the folder
    click dload
    now click brew
    click media
    click lk
    click ms

NOTE:

everytime you wnat to add new ringers to the phone you have to complete all the steps above, even the deleting that one certain file. not a very hard process and has worked well for me."

garkondsmushr on
  • chrissyspalchrissyspal Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    I have the rhythm. i also have to SD card, and the cord. but when i plug in my phone to the computer cord, my phone turns off and then back on, but it doesnt stay on. it comes to the beginning alltel screen then cuts back off and does this untill i unplug the phone. so bitpim can never read the phone because it keeps turning off. is my phone messed up? or does other peoples do that too?

chrissyspal on
    edited May 2009
    try plugging the cable in without having the other end of the cable plugged into the computer. It may be a wiring problem in the cable causing it to reboot constantly. If it doesn't reboot until you plug it into the computer, check to make sure you have the right drivers (linked earlier) installed. It may be a driver issue causing it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png