As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Powering a WD external drive...

CorakCorak Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just inherited a used WD hard drive. Just the drive and the USB cable, unfortunately. The model number is WD3200I032 ... unfortunately even with that I am having a hard time finding a replacement a/c adapter for it. Does anyone own one of these and know what I need? I tried plugging in a few power thingies I had lying around, but nothing fit.

I live!
Corak on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're probably better off just taking the drive out of that enclosure, buying a new one, and popping it in there.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Even if one you had lying around fit you need to ake sure its outputting the right amount of juice.

On the enclosure where you plug the power in, it should state the power requirements and you need to find an adapter to fit it. You can get a universal adapter but for what that would cost like Wunderbar suggested it could be cheaper to get a whole new enclosure. Or is this like one of those ED mybooks or something?

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you absolutely can't find one, and this is the correct kind of WD External Drive (the kind where WD doesn't care if you open them), you can remove the internal drive and just install it into your PC.

Some WD Externals are almost impossible to open... I had to crush an enclosure to hell last month to get a drive out, since the enclosure stopped working. It was ridiculous, cut myself up something fierce, but finally got that bitch out.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    unless it's some weird plug, you should be able to buy a universal AC adapter with selectable voltage at Radio Shack

illig on