As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week: 05/27/09 - Canada Comes First

Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Graphic Violence
For those of us up North, our books came out today.

And holy crap, last Page of Green Lantern....
Agent Orange cuts off Hals hand... and gets the blue ring.

Old Man Logan was pretty good as well. Good old Red Skull.

Sharp101 on

• TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Screw. You. Ca. Na. Da.

Tach on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm surprised that sorta thing doesn't happen to Green Lantern more often.

Robos A Go Go on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Didn't it sorta happen but not actually work in the old Jack T Chance story?

Wildcat on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember when Hal did that to a GL when he went crazy.

Paybacks a bitch eh

Cade on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I probably won't get to the store until Saturday, but I am really looking forward to Iron Fist and Won Ton Soup 2.

DouglasDanger on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, Last page of New Avengers shows the new Sorcerer Supreme.
    Brother Voodoo.

Lame.

Sharp101 on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Brother Voodoo.

Lame.
    Equal opportunity hiring, what are you going to do?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    He's not a bad choice, I guess, but I don't know much about him.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2009
    I just think it was too obvious and too safe a choice.

But who knows, it could be a fake out. He just shows up on the last page with the Eye/Cape/Skunk Stripe.

Sharp101 on
    edited May 2009
    Not having this storyline at all would be safe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not having this storyline at all would be safe.

Yeah, but that would have been the smart and coherent thing to do.

Fencingsax on
    edited May 2009
    It's kind of annoying that Bendis is taking liberties with the established rules about the whole Sorceror Supreme thing, but I doubt very many people cherish their Dr. Strange back issues enough to throw a fit over a few retcons, and frankly I think these are minor enough to be excused if the story itself is good.
    And you know, I think it might be. A public practitioner of voodoo siding with a fugitive team of heroes is going to get a whole lot of flack from the public and the media, and if Bendis decides to explore that I think it'll shed an interesting light on the role religion plays in the Marvel Universe, specifically how people of a given faith can reconcile their beliefs with the existence of figures who openly engage in more taboo practices that seem no less valid, if not more valid.

Never mind the fact that the Greek and Norse gods are running around in tights.

But like I said, I don't know anything about Voodoo's characterization, so whether or not he himself will be a source of entertainment remains to be seen.

Robos A Go Go on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Re: GL
    The whole idea of that working is just retarded...it's been shown that rings can't be "captured" like that, so it just makes no sense.

mattharvest on
    edited May 2009
    The whole idea of that working is just retarded...it's been shown that rings can't be "captured" like that, so it just makes no sense.

Why would that not work? What should happen if you tried that tactic?

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's actually not surprising re: the new SS.

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How much of GL #41 is Barrows doing the art, or is he just the "tales of the Orange Lantern" backup?

TexiKen on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has it been tried by a people eating, simulacrum producing monster with the power of an entire corps who runs on Greed. If it was just being done by randomly scrub Z-list villain or something like that i'd agree with you, but when the guy doing it is powered by the fucking desire to take what he wants from you and make it his, i don't see its retarded.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's kind of annoying that Bendis is taking liberties with the established rules about the whole Sorceror Supreme thing, but I doubt very many people cherish their Dr. Strange back issues enough to throw a fit over a few retcons, and frankly I think these are minor enough to be excused if the story itself is good.
    And you know, I think it might be. A public practitioner of voodoo siding with a fugitive team of heroes is going to get a whole lot of flack from the public and the media, and if Bendis decides to explore that I think it'll shed an interesting light on the role religion plays in the Marvel Universe, specifically how people of a given faith can reconcile their beliefs with the existence of figures who openly engage in more taboo practices that seem no less valid, if not more valid.

Never mind the fact that the Greek and Norse gods are running around in tights.

But like I said, I don't know anything about Voodoo's characterization, so whether or not he himself will be a source of entertainment remains to be seen.

Or he could just be the new sorcerer supreme.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited May 2009
    Are you saying that his story begins and ends with becoming the Sorceror Supreme and that there will be no ramifications to his newfound role and prominence?

Because if you aren't saying that, I really don't know what you mean at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No that's not what I'm saying at all. Of course his story should have some sort of actual plot. I just thought what you said sounded somewhat - I don't know - silly? Maybe just a bit verbose. Honestly, I'm not trying to sound as dickish as I'm sounding. I just don't think they'd ever take something like this and turn it in to anything like what you wrote. In fact, I think it would seem somewhat out of context.

In short, interesting concept. I just don't think it fits well with the narrative of the marvel U.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited May 2009
    I think it's pretty in line with what all the Dark Reign books are about, which is the degree to which public perception defines the very roles of hero and villain. I'm sure you'll have at least one person express how the average person views the new SS, if only because that'll help us understand how Bendis sees the character and his role on the team and in the universe as a whole.

But yeah, Bendis probably isn't going to do anything like what I wrote. I guess I was mostly just saying what I'd like to see.

Robos A Go Go on
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I havn't really looked at to many of my books yet, but I think my MOTW has got to be Runaways. Molly spending the whole day with Wolverine. Lots and lots of great lines in it too.
    After Scott is forcing Wolverine to show Molly around - Scott: What's he doing now?
    Emma: He's... he's actually visualizing disemboweling you. It's quite disturbing. And she's asking for ice cream.

Many more, but really, it's better if someone can find some scans.

Interpreter on
    edited May 2009
    There were some scans on S_D, and the New X-Men pick a fight with the other Runaways, and Nico has huge boobs.

It did have a good line though.

Chase: "Can I go grab my gloves out of the car?"
    Santo: "That's cool."

TexiKen on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Man, New X Men was really good there for a while. :(

DMAC on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Runaways was full of great one-liners. I was not a big fan of the art though. Not at all...

I would say my MotW was the conclusion for the Rogue Arc in X-Men Legacy. Spoilers up in heres for you 'Mericuns.
    I'm not sure if it's been done in any past issues but I find Rogue, having a blank slate an interesting twist for the character. Although it is a bit weird that she didn't suck the powers out of Gambit when they kissed because... isn't that her original power in the first place?

kfrooster on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh god, want to click so bad.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    About Rogue...
    Didn't that happen at the end of Messiah CompleX? So what was the point of the Legacy arc?

Crimsondude on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    After succumbing to the urges, my best guess would be...
    If she kissed Gambit, then she can probably control whether or not she absorbs people on touch. That was, after all, a major point that Simulation-Magneto was trying to make. Psychologically, she lets her powers work that way.

I'll realign my guess when I read it tomorrow.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    About Rogue...
    Didn't that happen at the end of Messiah CompleX? So what was the point of the Legacy arc?
    True, hmm. :? It seems to be written that Rogue still had some mental partitions in place as how they're writing it, and she could only "awaken to her true potential" by breaking down all partitions and having Mystique erased from her mind. I mean at the end of Messiah, Rogue screwed herself over by absorbing Mystique. So in a sense, this Legacy Arc is like a continuation of Rogue's new powers?
    I don't know. I just simply like the possibilities now depending on what the writers do with it.

kfrooster on
    edited May 2009

Why would that not work? What should happen if you tried that tactic?

Because:
    the rings have been shown to have a very real, persistent mental connection to the lantern even while not on their hand. Moreover, the Hope ring in particular seems to be the antithesis of Avarice, and it seems ridiculous that it wouldn't protect itself there. The ring should just fly back to him and - at worst - generate a construct hand a la Mongul or something. If cutting off a Lantern's hand was that effective, that's all Sinestro Corp would have had to do to win the war: we'd just have scene after scene of Lanterns trying to cut each other's hands off.

mattharvest on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Re: Sorcerer Supreme
    I guess at this point I was kind of assuming Strange's uh..protege, Clea, would be the inheritor. Right now, that'd mean we're shaping up for a really big battle in the Dark Dimension with Dormammu Hood rising to prominence again.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Hayasa wrote: »
    Re: Sorcerer Supreme
    I guess at this point I was kind of assuming Strange's uh..protege, Clea, would be the inheritor. Right now, that'd mean we're shaping up for a really big battle in the Dark Dimension with Dormammu Hood rising to prominence again.

Re: Clea
    Isn't Clea already SS of her dimension?

mattharvest on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brother Voodoo.

Lame.
    Is that the rooster-headed guy from back in the 80s?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    Brother Voodoo.

Lame.

Sharp101 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Ultimate Wolverine Vs Ultimate Hulk

Ain't got a soul, was ripped out long ago
    I thought you grew everything back
    Fuck you, Banner

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2009
    Brother Voodoo.

Lame.

so he's not this guy?
    152-1.jpg

because that really disappoints me.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I believe you're thinking of Black Talon, who's currently appearing in Marvel Zombies 4.

Edit: Beaten by seconds. And yeah, that's Talon.

Munch on
    edited May 2009
    ah. then marvel zombies 4 is on my new to-read list.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Interesting. I recall that that was the hero
    who was brought in to investigate Strange's mansion when the New Avengers first went undercover,
    so the powers that be obviously thought they were pretty competent.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2009
    My LCS won't be getting their stuff in until this afternoon, so that's my moment of the weak, waiting until Friday.

They say this happens all the time with UPS now when books come in on Thursday, they get bumped to the bottom of the Thursday list instead of the top of the Wednesday list.

TexiKen on