As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

bonK's Guitar Theory for Assholes and Pederasts

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    Practice scales, learn your notes and how music works, not just how it sounds, and practice over and over again. Using a metronome is good at helping you keep accurate time, which is essential for a bassist, as everyone is going to be looking to you and the drummer for tempo.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited March 2007
    Practice scales, learn your notes and how music works, not just how it sounds, and practice over and over again. Using a metronome is good at helping you keep accurate time, which is essential for a bassist, as everyone is going to be looking to you and the drummer for tempo.

and there's a pretty good chance that you're going to be carrying the drummer because man, drummers

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2007
    DaySleeper wrote: »

and there's a pretty good chance that you're going to be carrying the drummer because man, drummers

if it wasn't for the fact that they were the only one in the band that could lift the big Marshall amp into the back of the van, every garage band in the world would have switched to a drum machine.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited March 2007
    DaySleeper wrote: »

if it wasn't for the fact that they were the only one in the band that could lift the big Marshall amp into the back of the van, every garage band in the world would have switched to a drum machine.

Also sometimes the drummer is the only one with any kind of vehicle even if it is an 86 chevy nova with 2 spare tires

DaySleeper on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a total embarrassment to musicians. I don't know didley squat about musical theory, and yet I'm technically a signed artist :/

But as a bassist, rythm is the most important thing. you can have musical theory coming out of your ass, but if you're not tight as a gnats asshole with the drums, it'll sound wank.

The simplest of melodies can be fucking awesome if the rythm is good.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Way to sell out

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited March 2007
    Our guitarist carries the "musical validation" of the band :)

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Silmaril wrote: »
    I'm a total embarrassment to musicians. I don't know didley squat about musical theory, and yet I'm technically a signed artist :/

But as a bassist, rythm is the most important thing. you can have musical theory coming out of your ass, but if you're not tight as a gnats asshole with the drums, it'll sound wank.

The simplest of melodies can be fucking awesome if the rythm is good.

sil can i be your new vocalist

Knob on
    edited March 2007
    i can't sing and don't live in england

but holy shit, i am awesome

Knob on
    edited March 2007
    Spooky.

We could actually do with a vocalist. Out lead guitarist handles it all at the moment, and he, well, would rather concetrate on his guitar.

On a scale of 1 to fuck-me, where does your awesome sit Knob?

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Awwwww you can't sing?

Damn.

We have ridiculous harmonies in a couple of the new tracks.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i can't sing but i am a vocalist anyways

my guitarist also lives in england :O

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2007
    it isn't that spooky

there's a big VOCALIST WANTED advert on your myspace

i am a solidly in between a 9 and a date rape

Knob on
    edited March 2007
    (i sound awesome if i run my vocal track through ten gallons of autotune and a fuzz pedal)

Knob on
    edited March 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    it isn't that spooky

there's a big VOCALIST WANTED advert on your myspace

i am a solidly in between a 9 and a date rape

I refuse to have anything to do with out myspace page now. Our freinds list is full of hot goth chicks.

Fuck.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    oh it's heavy metal music

that's a shame

Tube on
    edited March 2007
    oh it's heavy metal music

that's a shame

D:

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited March 2007
    they are really good tube

like there are parts that are all SCREEEEAAAAAM DEATH BLACK METAL

but then there are really pretty vocal harmonies behind it

and there are these giant guitar parts that are all CHUGGA CHUGGA FREEEEOOOOOW and then all of the sudden there's an acoustic breakdown with all of this classical guitar

Knob on
    edited March 2007
    it is the carl jung of heavy metal music

or maybe it is the most brutal folk band in the universe

Knob on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We need more marimba threads.

Edit: I am serious.

Fake edit: The above edit was fake too.

SithDrummer on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does that mean we can talk about "Music for 18 Musicians"?

Aneurhythmia on
    edited March 2007
    okay marimbas

marimbas and the best bass player ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLrdgnq6eM

Knob on
  • HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    that bass player is brutal

Homeless on
    edited March 2007
    he basically invented how to rock

Knob on
    edited March 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    okay marimbas

marimbas and the best bass player ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLrdgnq6eM
    They actually showed this on AMC or TCM or one of those movie channels as part of a pre-feature for some classic film a few weeks ago.

Aneurhythmia on
  • MavinashMavinash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Palm muting. How does one do this?

Mavinash on
    edited March 2007
    Uh, press the edge of your palm against the strings near the bridge while picking. Vary the pressure to affect the sound and see what you like.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited March 2007
    If you lean to heavy, you get almost no sound. If you don't lean enough, the strings ring for too long. Fool around with it. It'll depend per guitar as well. If you have a floating "Floyd Rose" style bridge (sticks way the fuck out from the guitar, can whammy up or down), you have to have a really delicate touch because pushing too hard can change all your pitches.

DaySleeper on
    edited March 2007
    I mostly have problems when muting chords. I'm not good at strumming as is, but with muting it's even harder.

Mavinash on
    edited March 2007
    Unless you're arpeggiating the chord, if you want a muted sound, play a smaller chord shape.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited March 2007
    Unless you're arpeggiating the chord, if you want a muted sound, play a smaller chord shape.

Arpeggiating what? I'm talking mostly power chords.

And as a side note, when strumming you don't use the wrist as much as the elbow? Or is it the other way around...

Mavinash on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Uh, press the edge of your palm against the strings near the bridge while picking. Vary the pressure to affect the sound and see what you like.

You actually keep the side of your hand against the strings as you pick? I had the idea that you pressed it against the strings after strumming something to mute it.

Or is that what you do for acoustic palm muting?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2007
    Mavinash wrote: »

Arpeggiating what? I'm talking mostly power chords.

And as a side note, when strumming you don't use the wrist as much as the elbow? Or is it the other way around...

You move your whole forearm more than your wrist when tremolo picking at least, I know.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2007
    Fallout wrote: »

You actually keep the side of your hand against the strings as you pick? I had the idea that you pressed it against the strings after strumming something to mute it.

Yeah you rest your hand right by the bridge.

Acoustic and electric muting are pretty much the same thing. Muting after you pick does a stacatto effect depending on how fast you mute the string afterwards.

Homeless on
    edited March 2007
    Fallout wrote: »

If you want a chord to ring out and stop abruptly, you do what you suggest. If you want the 'thump thump thump' or 'chug chug chug,' you want to rest the hand while you're picking or strumming.

DaySleeper on
    edited March 2007
    ahh ok.

thanks guys!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2007
    Daysleeper explained it so much better

i gotta stop sounding like a faggot musician

Homeless on
    edited March 2007
    You shouldn't be picking from your elbow. You shouldn't have any tension in your arm at all.

Tube on
    edited March 2007
    You shouldn't be picking from your elbow. You shouldn't have any tension in your arm at all.

But what about all those Fallout Boy videos I saw?

Aneurhythmia on
    edited March 2007
    Man I like fallout boy

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.