As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iPod Classic hard drive woes; worth it to get fixed?

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
The short version of the story is that my iPod Classic 80GB is borked. I had problems with syncing it to my machine, tried to Restore it via iTunes, and now every time I try to connect it to either of my two Macs it hangs on a spinning color wheel forever until I unplug it. I brought it to the Apple Store and the girl told me she heard the hard drive whirring and chunking as it booted up, so it's probably a problem with the drive itself.

The official Apple refurb fee is $129, which is kind of ass. She said I could bring it to an aftermarket third-party place to get the hard drive replaced, but 1) What kinds of places are reputable for this kind of work?, 2) How much would something like that cost?, and 3) Is it really worth it?

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would think that if you can get the case open you could replace the HDD yourself.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    While trying to fix my iPod 4G, I happened upon a thread that suggested a fix for broken/skipping hard drives. It boiled down to this:

- Open iPod case (ever so gently)
    - Fold sturdy business card/notecard-type paper between hard drive and case.
    - Enjoy.

Note: Consider this advice as being from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who did this. Do this at your own risk.

Aside:

How much music did you actually have on said iPod?

If this happened to me with my iPod Classic 80GB (omg if yours was black, i recommend that we be bestest ipod buddies!!!!1 (sic)), I would just get an mp3 player with a solid-state drive and limit myself to 4-/8-/16- GB of portable music.

Fubear on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The iPod Touches have solid state memory, so stuff like that is unlikely to happen!

I have the 32 gig one and I am way happy with it.

I am going to be realistic here and say that anything else can still go wrong with it, I'm waiting for the day the battery will fail, etc. But for now it has incredible battery life and I can actually go running with it without it skipping.

I doubt you want to spend that much extra for an ipod touch, much less the 32 GB one. The classics are cheaper, but I don't think they have the SSDs, which still leaves them open to hard drive failure and reduced battery life.

edit: honestly though, apple repair stuff is not worth it at all unless they just send you a new one. You will be getting an old and used ipod back when for the same price or a bit more you can have a new one that will last that much longer.

Also I guess you could check out zune stuff. I'm not sure how much those cost.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fubear wrote: »
    While trying to fix my iPod 4G, I happened upon a thread that suggested a fix for broken/skipping hard drives. It boiled down to this:

- Open iPod case (ever so gently)
    - Fold sturdy business card/notecard-type paper between hard drive and case.
    - Enjoy.

Note: Consider this advice as being from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who did this. Do this at your own risk.

Aside:

How much music did you actually have on said iPod?

If this happened to me with my iPod Classic 80GB (omg if yours was black, i recommend that we be bestest ipod buddies!!!!1 (sic)), I would just get an mp3 player with a solid-state drive and limit myself to 4-/8-/16- GB of portable music.

It was black! omgz

I have about 12-13 GB of music along with a bunch of my ripped DVDs, so I'd love to have something that's higher-capacity but I'm wondering now if it's really worth it. I'd secretly love a 16GB or 8GB iPod Touch, so I'll need to tinker with smart playlists and see if I can satisfy myself with an incomplete library. The archivist in me has a hard time letting go.
    Artreus wrote:
    The iPod Touches have solid state memory, so stuff like that is unlikely to happen!

A fact that my iPod-devotee friend, the one who told me to get a Touch in the first place instead of this Classic, is not letting me live down.

I looked around and found an iFixit page for DIY iPod repairs and it looks totally not worth my time and effort. Looks like I'll suck it up and wait for a good time to buy a new one. Thanks for input, guys. :^:

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just to say that if the problem is that when you plug it in to your computer it freezes, I have this problem too. I've found that if it is plugged in before I switch on my computer, it is fine, but freezes if I try to connect it while the computer is already turned on. If you want to keep using the one you've already got, it might be an idea to try this.

BobCesca on