As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXI] LEVEL CAP 99 HERE WE COOOMMMME

ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
Last update: Feb. 28, 2010

FINAL FANTASY XI: ONLINE
ITT we /cheer our heroic deeds, /sigh at bad parties, and /point and /laugh at MTs

WotG.jpg

Final Fantasy XI is Square's entry in the MMO market and if you've got a PS2/3, Xbox 360, or a half-decent PC then you too can play, because it's totally cross-platform with international servers

Latest news: OH GOD IT'S VANAFEST

Details here

A basic rundown:
- Campaign in Castle Zvahl! Maybe you'll fight the Shadow Lord! Maybe you'll get to use his weapons and armor for yourself
- THE LEVEL CAP IS BEING RAISED TO 99, HOLY SHIT
- Since the level cap is being raised to 99, there's gotta be NEW AREAS TO XP IN, HOLY SHIT
- New augment system that lets you put whatever augments you want on any gear you want! Even Relics
- Two new avatars: Odin and Alexandar! They can only be used during your two-hour but that just means Astral Flow is now the best two-hour in the game
- A bunch of more minor job adjustments (rng, mnk, bst, rdm, drg, drk were specifically mentioned)
- Maybe more later, stay tuned! If I remember to update the OP

Final Fantasy XIV announced!

Square announced FFXIV at last year's E3. Official site here, trailer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAFyFCqCEW0

Not sure if FFXI is for you? Then you should check out the 14-day free trial! It's free (as cleverly indicated in the previous sentence) and doesn't even require a credit card to play.

NA Trial
EU Trial
JP Trial

What makes this game different?
  • Job system - 20 available jobs, all of which can be played on a single character
  • Difficulty - nothing in this game is easy
  • Grouping - if you're going to get most anything done, you'll need to team up
  • Crafting - nearly everything monsters drop is in some sort of crafting recipe and the job system ensures even low-level gear is always in demand
  • Community - the playerbase is a pretty good bunch and is willing to help you out with most things
  • Atmosphere - the game looks and feels like Final Fantasy through and through
  • Cutscenes - yep, they're here too

Screenshots from Grinnin
Quadavs.jpg
Oct13-Kirin2.png
YoungGriffons.png
Zvahl2-1.jpg
img_20080225_235843.jpg
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25753.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24494.html
Can I solo?
The simple answer is "Yes and no," but it is a bit more complicated than that.

As a brand new character, fresh out of the shrink-wrap, you will be soloing until you get a job to level 10 at the minimum; sometimes upwards of level 15. From that point on, it is in your best interests to find parties, or at least one or two other people to group with, for two reasons:

The monsters get a lot tougher. The power curve goes from a gentle wading pool to an olympic swimming pool to a raging river rapids.

All higher end reward content (the stuff that gets you the cool swag) needs parties in sets of three, (usually) six, and sometimes 18. How to behave in a party is a skill set that you need to cultivate: Without it you miss the whole game.

Once you have some job levels under your belt, and some other resources, you may pursue a job combination that allows you to solo at higher levels. Be advised though, that these jobs are often lonely things, and expensive to boot: Making aquantinces and sharing risks is and always has been the fastest way to advance in the game, in the long run.
(Courtesy of our (M)Bri)

Which server should I join?
Well, I'm on Bahamut but most people on PA aren't. In fact, Carbuncle seems to be the server of choice for PA people so maybe consider going there!

Here's a list of who's on what server, though I don't know how long it's been since it was updated!
(Server)

(PA forum name) - (FFXI character name)

Asura
Skullie - Skullie
SkannerJAT - Ramiah
SNES - Arkm
Bama - Dael
Grundlestiltskin - Treva
Kyanilis - Kyanilis
Varega - Varega
scygen - Scygen(?)
fightstrife - Paige
king awesome - Emol

Bahamut
Ultravisitor - Dose
Arcibi - Arcibi

Carbuncle
The Dude With Herpes - Kingshand
Just_Bri_Thanks - Bri
Xhero - Ormi
Pb - Ancalaehte
Smashism - Samash
Trevor Goodchild - Loras
ins0mniac - Dimen
Xanarios - Rikiru
Koopa_Paratroopa - Maus
Demitri Omni - Demitrion
RawrBear - Littlebear
RooX - Lumir
Dyvion - Dyvion
ProfMoriarty - Fefron
zanmatto - Misteyy

Diabolos
WillisIVIIX - Gynin

Kujata
Murphy - Murphie

Fenrir
Elimination - Vyles

Lakshmi
EricKei - Erickei (Hiatus)

Midgardsormr
Professor Snugglesworth - Jorginus
Stryker43 - Caldyen
ProfMoriarty - Ocilus

Pandemonium
seabass - Bassiwassi

Phoenix
Evil_Pig - Karli
GrinninBarrett - Ishmael

Quetzalcoatl
neville - Neville

Ragnarok
UltraMantisBlack - Ultramantis
RavynBlackheart - Vehnibi

Remora
Tcheldor - Tortalius
Freebytes - Freebytes
mystic_knight - Everitt
Xhaztol - Xhaztol
Aoi - Squidge

Shiva
The Laughing Man - Stompy

PM for additions or changes

Newbie FAQ
that I'm totally copy/pasting from the old thread because I'm too lazy to write a new one
You've installed the game. You plugged in your keyboard. Now what?
I. New Player Guides
II. Resource Links
III. Consoles
IV. PC and third party addons
I. New Player Guides
SE's New Player Guide
These video's are hosted on the main FFXI site.
They contain easy to understand instructions for all platforms.
Watch all videos, click each section on the left column.

LBR's Gigantious Beginners Guide to Vana'diel
So this is a FFXI podcast, I'll admit the hosts are kind of annoying.
This super long podcast though has a lot of useful information to a new player.
Skim through it sometime while soloing out those first levels.

Forum Post New Player Guide
Kind of opinionated but lots of good macro tips and more.

II. Resource Links
These sites will help. Go here first if you have a question, a lot of basic (and advanced) info is out there for the taking, just look for it. Of course, ask away in this thread if you can't find an answer from these links.
Links by Grinnin!

FFXI Auction House Database
An online AH that lets you check prices and trends from any AH on any server from your browser.

FFXI Wikia
FFXI's Wiki. Just about everything you could possibly look up is in this Wiki.

BG FFXI Wiki
Another FFXI Wiki just in case the other one doesn't have what you're looking for.

Vana'diel Atlas
A site with all the maps and related information in the game. Useful if you're ever lost, or wondering what kind of treasure you can find in a zone.

Vana'diel Bestiary
Excellent source for finding out what monsters exist where; also a handy tool for deciding where to take your party to XP.

FFXI Firefox Plugin
Nifty Firefox plugin. Show FFXI times, searches, skillchains, and more.

III. Consoles
Playstation 2
Must have a fatty PS2
Need a HDD
Must have Network Adapter
USB keyboard
Playstation 3
BC confirmed for consoles that allow it
Xbox 360
Must have HDD
POL and FFXI take up about 7.5 gigs
USB keyboard
Messenger Kit mini keyboard doesn't function correctly. "/" doesnt work.
Free Silver membership required (no need for gold)

IV. PC and third party addons
Steam
FFXI hates steam. Demitri recommends running Apradar(mentioned later) through steam and renaming it FFXI.
Controller Issues
Most PC users prefer to plugin a USB controller and play mostly with that, although many players go without it. See which you are most comfortable with.

If you do use a controller, there are a few problems you may run into.
The Microsoft Xbox 360/Windows controller will have some issues. The MS drivers won't let the triggers work, which you need badly for macroes, trust me.

Xbox 360 Fan Drivers
These fan made drivers let you use the 360 controller correctly with the game.
They also allow you to use budget third party controllers too. Such as, mad catz, pelican, and so on.
MUST BE THE WIRED CONTROLLER, the wireless adapter WILL NOT work with this fan driver, thus making the wireless controller useless for FFXI.
VISTA USERS: Pay close attention to the direction on your install, it is a bit trickier.

Windower - Shhhhhhh
The first rule of windower is you do not speak about windower (in game, ever, I am serious). SE sees all third party software as potential hacks and if they can prove you use it, they will ban you.
Windower is essentially some plugins that provide a multitude of options outside of the default game. You can view other party members TP, distance from enemy, cooldown counters, and way more.
It can also increase the graphics for the game by tweaking the registry (which you can do by yourself at your own risk), so the game appears sharp.

How do you know it's safe to use?
There is no way that SE can detect you using the program, SE has never detected anyone and just banned them for using the program. Now if you run around Sandoria shouting I USE WINDOWER, I don't think I can guarantee your accounts safety.
Even if you discuss it in a party nobody will probably respond, so you are better off just not mentioning it in game, at all, ever. EVER.

How do I use it?
Download the program first. Unzip it to a more permanent location.
Open up "Launcher_GUI"
Click the Advanced box. Set the Overlay Resolution to whatever resolution you want FFXI running at (desktop resolution).
Under: Registery > Background, is where you can change the texture sharpness. Make sure they both match. If X is greater than your background resolution it will create an in game AA effect. Nifty, AND HOW!
Now launch FFXI from this launcher from now on.

I also recommend the DrawDistance plugin to cut down on the fog in game and the infobar plugin to show you enemy details.

Higher Resolution Sprites - UI icon's
Brandson first made some higher res sprites for the game and Emiko has recently taken up where he left off. These icons IMO are clearer than the FFXI default icons and much more clean looking. There is also a widescreen version so no more icon stretching.

In game map replacements
Another old project of Brandson continued by Emiko. Replaces in game maps with more detailed variants that include path information, NM spawns and more.

ApRadar - The third party minimap!
If I could marry a plugin it would be this one. Simply unzip and open when you have FFXI running. It will display a minimap of your current location. Also displays maps regardless if you own them or not, so useful.

GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
Arcibi on

• WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Back in East Ronfaure hit DNC56, Chocobo Jig is mine!

WillisIVIIX on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    New thread, yay!

On the game front, I am 16 on Blue Mage, and still trying to get Healing Breeze.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hit 22 (maybe 23, can't remember) on my DNC last night.

Also, in the OP add me to the Phoenix server. Character name is Jania.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DNC 28 yesterday. I'm pretty sure that DNC is trying to sap my will to live. God this job is tedious. If I didn't need/want it at 37 to sub to everything else, I'd drop it right now. :/

Murphy on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love DNC. It is such a fun job for me. I like the fact that I can solo while I search for a party so it doesn't feel like there's downtime.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    (From last thread)

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Character_Reactivation_Service

This is great! I've been wanting to try out the new QoL low-level stuff (tomes, etc.). Does anyone happen to know if the general leveling areas are the same?

Starter zone/Starter zone 2 > Dunes > Quifirm > Garliage? (kinda hazy past this point).

Neurotika on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, more or less.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2009
    So, where do the 55+ characters hang? My RDM is up there, and I've heard something about this Whitegate or somesuch. I did go there once to get the COR/PUP/BLU jobs, I think.

Neurotika on
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I love DNC. It is such a fun job for me. I like the fact that I can solo while I search for a party so it doesn't feel like there's downtime.

I like that I can solo while LFG (though honestly, you can do that on most any job at this point), but the kills are so fucking slow that I'm pretty sure the mob just dies of boredom. Sure, I'm not going to die or anything, but I'm sure as hell not going to kill quickly.

Murphy on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Got blu to 30 and am up to date on spells. Dnc is such a fun job especially once you get enough haste gear going. Still chilling on Remora if anyone's looking for a server to join.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited May 2009
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, where do the 55+ characters hang? My RDM is up there, and I've heard something about this Whitegate or somesuch. I did go there once to get the COR/PUP/BLU jobs, I think.

That is a good place to go, yes. You might get a kick out of besieged, as well.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2009
    Is it like the "new" Jueno now?

Neurotika on
    edited May 2009
    No, they are trying to shift emphasis back onto Jeuno itself now, but it has plenty to do for 55 on up to the top.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2009
    Yea I'm trying to stick to Aht Urhgan parties now because I want Imperial Standing and I need to start feeling like my DNC is growing in power. While getting better invites, I can't stand going back to being below level 40 and losing Reverse Flourish. I can't do it.

Now I'm going to Campaign 6 merit points on my MNK so I can up Dagger Skill. Then once I hit level 59, I'll have Dancing Edge and won't have to horde 300%TP and have nothing to do with it besides the occassional Waltz.

Edit: The way my character looks right now is a crime against humanity. DNC Tiara, Scorp Harness, Republic Subligar, Battle Gloves and DNC Shoes. I look like an employee in a S&M Dungeon, and doing dances doesn't help my case either. God help us all.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited May 2009
    Pics or it didn't happen. Which, by your description, isn't such a bad way to be.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I came back to FFXI after basically abandoning it for WoW (which was, I'll admit, a mistake) and started leveling scholar. Man this is fun!

RavynBlackheart on
    edited May 2009
    Healing Breeze can suck it.

th_ffxi_20090529_122546.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Healing Breeze can suck it.

th_ffxi_20090529_122546.jpg

Are you doing /whm with dia spam?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited May 2009
    No, I don't want to dot the monsters while I am trying for the Blue Magics. Them dieing before they use the skill I want is irritating.

I finally got it though, now moving on to Bludgeon

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited May 2009
    Bludgeon learned, now off to the other side of the world for Blastbomb. Cursed Sphere is right out until I get closer to where it would be usable.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish I had an appetite for this game.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
    edited May 2009
    Blastbomb learned.

Time to go back to the dunes for levels 17 through 20.

I seem to have gotten cursed sphere some time prior, perhaps while I was waiting for a party to sync last I was int he dunes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2009
    On an unrelated note, good books are good. Not much play time for me, and partially because I am finding Blue Mage not to my tastes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember when Blue Mage was announced. I was so goddamn pleased because I had called it back on SomethingAwful.com in the FFXI thread there. But then, the expansion came out, and I played it, and I got really sad with how awfully tedious it was to play, and how many lemmings jumped to the class. -.- I remained steadfast after that in my initial job choice.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
    edited June 2009
    Well this is FFXI we're talking about here, and if (especially when it comes to a new toy) something is remotely interesting you can bet your ass SE is going to challenge your patience to the brink of insanity.

WillisIVIIX on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Welp, new FF MMO announced, due out just next year. It looks a lot like FFXI in its aesthetic.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FFXI 2, IT EXITS. OMG FREAKING OUT

Smashism on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmmm...only for PS3?

Well, color me interested. I loved FFXI when it came out. I do hope it moves away from the WoW/EQ style and tries something completely different.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited June 2009
    I highly expect FFXIV to get a PC port as well. It would be mind-boggling if it didn't.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is bad news for me...I use to be a major FFXI addict so this will be hard to resist.

NovembersChopin on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I have a ps3 but theres no way I'm playing an mmo on it. PC or nothin'

Oh and Red Mage day one.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited June 2009
    They have to make Paladins a starting class.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PLD and BRD for me please. :winky:

NovembersChopin on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In Japan at least, XI started out PS2 only at first before finally moving to PC. I'm sure it'll get ported within a few months.

Aoi on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah but I already have a PS3 and it always is cool to be there when the community is still fresh.

lionheart_m on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Same, though I must admit I'm kind of disappointed that they're going with a console for their launch platform again. I love FFXI, but the controls feel so funky when playing it on the pc if you don't have a controller.

Aoi on
    edited June 2009
    I just hope that FFXIV moves away from WoW/EQ clone. Also, I'm kinda worried how are they gonna handle two MMOs. The whole EQ/EQ2 fiasco comes to mind.

lionheart_m on
    edited June 2009
    Ugh...just realized. This is Square. This could very well be Xmas 2010...well it gives me enough time to kick my WoW habit, get addicted to SC2 and quit that too.

lionheart_m on
    edited June 2009
    Tail-less Galka, even. Makes me wonder why they seem to be revisiting the Vana'diel races rather than go with the more exposed FFTA ones.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png