As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the Thread About Books and Literature.

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Social Entropy++
The thread title speaks for itself, you philistines.

You're not allowed to talk about Twilight or those True Blood books in here, unless you're mercilessly bashing on them and their fans.

Get to it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    fucking love twilight

potatoe on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I read Revenge by Stephen Fry recently.

It was pretty good.

Centipede Damascus on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Idiot's Guide to Buddhism

Meissnerd on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm reading Sodom and Gomorrah at the moment. It's awesome.

I think afterward I might read 2001 Space Odyssey. Seeing as it's my favourite movie, I feel I should read the book.

Or I might read A Russian Affair by Anton Chekhov. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got a "Totally Twilight" rating on this facebook test about the twilight books.

I got every single question correct.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited May 2009
    2001 the book is fucking stellar
    i may just think that because i loved the movie
    but i fucking loved the book
    loved

potatoe on
    edited May 2009
    hahaha
    "stellar"
    i crack myself up

potatoe on
    edited May 2009
    like, the stars...get it?
    totally on accident
    accidentally awesome

potatoe on
    edited May 2009
    potatoe wrote: »
    2001 the book is fucking stellar
    i may just think that because i loved the movie
    but i fucking loved the book
    loved
    Have you by any chance read the sequels? They are on my list as well.

edit - aww potato, you're a star.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    haven't read them, but i want to
    problem is i already have like 4 books in a box that i need to start reading, but i suck and never make the time

potatoe on
    edited May 2009
    god, you suck

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    suck so much
    every time i think about how i should be reading i recognize how much i suck

at least i've been reading through tank girl
    that's something.....right?

potatoe on
    edited May 2009
    I don't know, man.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Reading Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals, and it's fucking delightful, especially if you're interested in fauna and stuff. Definitely recommended if you want to take a break from heavier reading

queuewindow on
  • SonnySonny Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Should I read The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter Thompson?

Sonny on
    Untitled-1-1.gif
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Lies of Locke Lamora is really good so far. I do get kind of annoyed how the author feels the need to curse randomly though. You'll go pages and pages without even an "ass" but then suddenly you've got a "fuck" or a "shit" just outta nowhere. It's like the guy is just tossing them around to be edgy. But it's a really minor annoyance, and since it happens fairly rarely you can safely ignore it.

The structure is a bit weird too, with every even chapter (called interludes) being set in the past and every odd chapter in the present. The present chapters focus on the main plot, while the interludes are one-shots that help refine characters and explain backstory. Haven't decided if I like that yet, but the mere fact that I look forward to each interlude just as much as continuing the main plot says something.

There are some other flaws besides that, but not a lot, and they're all to do with how it's (as I understand) the author's first book. If his first is this good, Scott Lynch will be worth following.

Cilla Black on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Sonny wrote: »
    Should I read The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter Thompson?

yeah

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2009
    The Lies of Locke Lamora is really good so far. I do get kind of annoyed how the author feels the need to curse randomly though. You'll go pages and pages without even an "ass" but then suddenly you've got a "fuck" or a "shit" just outta nowhere. It's like the guy is just tossing them around to be edgy. But it's a really minor annoyance, and since it happens fairly rarely you can safely ignore it.

The structure is a bit weird too, with every even chapter (called interludes) being set in the past and every odd chapter in the present. The present chapters focus on the main plot, while the interludes are one-shots that help refine characters and explain backstory. Haven't decided if I like that yet, but the mere fact that I look forward to each interlude just as much as continuing the main plot says something.

There are some other flaws besides that, but not a lot, and they're all to do with how it's (as I understand) the author's first book. If his first is this good, Scott Lynch will be worth following.
    He posts on these forums.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh god is he that annoying author guy with the bear avatar

Meissnerd on
    edited May 2009
    No, that's not him.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "Tru Blood."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just wrote this awesome Twilight / Tru Blood crossover slashfic.

It's called "Twilight Blood" and it's about sexy vampires.

I figured we could discuss it here since this is the thread about books and literature.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    who wants a birdville magazine sticker

i will post one internationally

edit: only one!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i've been reading Imajica, which i didn't feel really found it's stride until the half-gay shapeshifter pseudo-rape

mrpaku on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

I meant to say when you posted it in the other thread, and then I forgot, but I am totally interested in seeing your magazine when it goes out. It seems like a neat thing, and I... like... things that are neat? Is I guess what I am saying.

Hurr.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

I meant to say when you posted it in the other thread, and then I forgot, but I am totally interested in seeing your magazine when it goes out. It seems like a neat thing, and I... like... things that are neat? Is I guess what I am saying.

Hurr.

i'm sure you'll hear about it!

if i'm making blog posts and facebook status updates about printing some dodgy images on adhesive paper, i won't stop talking about some actual content for weeks

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dodgy images on adhesive paper sound pretty rad, too, in all fairness.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited May 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »

He posts on these forums.
    Really? That's pretty cool.

Cilla Black on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Good book. Dude went to my university, and they're naming the new residential college McMurtry. Apparently he owns and runs a couple bookstores in the DC area now, which I think is a cool day job for a famous author.

But yeah, Lonesome Dove is a pretty great western.

fshavlak on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just started Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series. I'm almost done with the second book. Pretty good stuff so far, although the second book has been a lot of Vlad sucking at criminal warfare and going, "Oh shit, I fail again! Now what?"

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think there's going to be another sexy vampire show on the CW I think
    Just heard about it in passing
    But damn man
    Up to our necks in sexy vampires

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited May 2009
    Oh, for fuck...

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey, what's wrong with the True Blood books? :evil:

JoeUser on
    edited May 2009
    I don't know.
    I just like being mean.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Hey, what's wrong with the True Blood books? :evil:

I read the first one and...eh. It was just okay. Maybe they get better, but it was basically a convoluted mystery novel with a few fangs up in it. I felt a bit let down by the ending.

I liked Grave Sight better.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Still reading Deadhouse Gates. Really slow going, but I think thats because I watch too much tv and play too many videogames.

Crazy awesome shit be happening, but I don't really care about any of the characters...

Nik Huze on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    I think there's going to be another sexy vampire show on the CW I think
    Just heard about it in passing
    But damn man
    Up to our necks in sexy vampires

Are you suggesting that True Blood isn't the single greatest thing HBO has ever done?

Burden of Proof on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just bought Neil Gaimans Anansi boys.

Little did I know it was a sequel before I bought it :(

Burning Organ on
    edited May 2009
    Don't be sad.

That just means you get to read American Gods.

Cilla Black on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Got the rest of my sci-fi reading list today. Count Zero, The Forever War, and Little Brother. I've heard of the former two (William Gibson and Joe Haldeman) but never the latter.

We're starting The Forever War next, I think, and I remember someone talking about it being good in the last book thread.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.