As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 3.5] Druid questions

Rocket452Rocket452 Registered User new member
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
Hey I'm making a new druid, i always just used the core books but now I am expanding to try and use all of the 3.5 books/abilities and I had some questions.

I am planning on going Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10, so my question is how much will i really miss plant/elemental forms?.

I know i can use enhance wild shape(x2) to turn into a plant and gain all their (ex) abilities but that seems rather expensive.

And ive also heard that elemental forms are cool, but dont match up the animal forms you can assume at that level.

Is spontaneous healer(CD) worth it? When I first saw it I really liked it considering how many slots this one feat would free up, but I dont see this very often in druid builds.

Is assume supernatural ability worth it?
I thought it might considering I can turn into magical beasts being a planar shepherd.

Any way I can get around the good requirements of exalted wild shape?
I dont have a problem with doing good deeds, its just my party is all of a non-good alignment, and trying to always do good is likely to get me killed by my teammates. I was wondering if anyone had found a loophole or something.

TLDR:
how much will i really miss plant/elemental forms?(due to being a planar shepherd)
Is spontaneous healer(CD) worth it?

Rocket452 on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rocket452 wrote: »
    TLDR:
    how much will i really miss plant/elemental forms?(due to being a planar shepherd)
    Is spontaneous healer(CD) worth it?

1) You might miss plant a little bit because of it's good immunities, but not seriously.
    2) No. Summon Unicorns with SNA 4. If you want more, memorize lesser vigor, buy 1st level Pearls of power.
    3) It's pretty hideously broken, so par for a Planar Shepard.
    4) Wait, why would you really want to? Assuming you make a good Planar choice it won't give you much.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Air elemental form grants one of the fastest flight speeds in the game as well as natural invisibility. Beyond that, losing plant and elemental forms isn't too terrible.

Spontaneous healing isn't actually all that bad, especially if the party doesn't have a cleric. In a pinch, it lets you toss out moderate damage to undead opponents as well.

I'm not familiar with Assume Supernatural Ability or Planar Shepard, but this really depends on what you can turn into, as creatures with the animal subtype generally do not have supernatural abilities.

Use Magic Device might be suitable for Exalted Wild Shape; I would personally require a check each time you wished to change into a form allowed by the feat. Also, there may be a feat or magic item buried somewhere that makes you count as having a good alignment, but I can't think of any.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    CelerityNovaCelerityNova Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Spontaneous healer is completely pointless for several reasons:

1: HP recovery spells that are not named Heal are a complete waste of time in combat. Cast Entangle instead, you'll prevent far more damage. Even at mid and high levels, when first level slots mean less than nothing to you.

2: Copy paste the above because you're a Druid, and thus even worse at healing (not that this in any way makes you not awesome, as healing is a very poor way of preventing damage).

3: It doesn't help with Heal, which is the only healing spell you'd actually care about.

Just get Lesser Vigor wands and make everyone throw in for a Staff of Heal later if they insist that you heal them.

You'll miss those forms less than zero, because depending on planar selection you'll get anything from 10 rounds of actions for every one everyone else gets to infinite wishes to wizard/cleric/etc spellcasting... whatever you want, really. And probably all at once. In other words, simply by being a Planar Shepherd you have already Won D&D, which makes the rest of this discussion academic. Oh and you can likely get Heals this way, if you cared.

Assume Supernatural Ability... don't you already get that?

Lastly, you have no reason to care about Exalted Wild Shape for the reasons stated above.

CelerityNova on
  • Options
    Rocket452Rocket452 Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    The exalted wild shape has great potential. The blink dog for example:
    Constant blink(50% physical miss, 20% spell miss)

Free action 720ft dimension door every round, able to act immediately after

thats just one form it gives

Also, where can I find information on the Quori? If I pick the dream plane as a shepherd then I need to see the stats of the forms I can turn into native to the dream plane

Rocket452 on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    T
    Also, where can I find information on the Quori? If I pick the dream plane as a shepherd then I need to see the stats of the forms I can turn into native to the dream plane

You'll need to get at the Eberron books for this info. Secrets of Sarlona, Eberron CS, and a couple others have Quori in them.

Also, the best thread for this would have been this one.

Maticore on
  • Options
    CelerityNovaCelerityNova Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The exalted wild shape has great potential. The blink dog for example:
    Constant blink(50% physical miss, 20% spell miss)

Free action 720ft dimension door every round, able to act immediately after

thats just one form it gives

I forgot about this thread. None of that is necessary. Planar Shepherd just makes you flat out win. You don't need to worry about stuff like that because you have far better.

CelerityNova on