As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guess what? You won't be able to buy things at PAX this year (Khoo responds, Page 3)

• Jules@Party934.comJules@Party934.com Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    skarsol wrote: »
    Of course they want to make money. But the whole reason why I have wanted to attend PAX for years is because it is no pressure and has a sense of family that is lacking in most other CONS.

And how would you feel if your "family" let you know "Oh, by the way, we don't need you anymore."? :P
    Where the person who posted this thread, well it appears all they care about is their bottom dollar and not the enjoyment of the game which I thought PAX was about. *shrugs* Or perhaps I am way out in left field here. It has been known to happen.

They adjusted their schedule to fit in PAX. They acted in good faith. They limited their appearance at DragonCon to come to PAX (are they going to be reimbursed for that?) They're a small company and I seriously doubt they have a PR or Marketing guy. I'm willing to cut a small business owner some slack when shit happens and they don't respond like we've been trained to expect the corporate machine to (with sanitized press releases and such). *shrug* Putting myself in their shoes, I'd probably have done the same thing. Maybe a *little* less confrontational in the OP, but still. :P

I certainly would not have gone about it this way. I almost faced the same thing going into this years PAX. And I started off my email with, if this is not possible, I completely understand.

Cause guess what? I am not one of the organizers and I have to trust that the organizers are doing what is best for the PAXian community in general.

Small business owner or large business owner, the way this business owner went about doing their business is bad business. I personally will be sure to never buy their merchandise due to their treatment of the situation. I don't expect anyone else to make that decision, but that is my opinion and I am entitled to it just as much as you are entitled to yours.

I do not work for some huge corporation either, but there is no way on this planet I would behave like that when I am representing a company that is trying to sell a product. It is a business matter between PAX org and the business and should never have been brought to the boards IMHO.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • WedgeWedge Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's hard to comment meaningfully when you've only heard one half of the story, so I won't comment on PegasusPublishing's particular situation.

Nevertheless. There's one thing I know for sure, PAX is running out of space. PAX is growing incredibly fast and has already outgrown the Washington State Convention and Trade Center. There already is a hard-cap on attendees, as mentioned by Tycho/Gabe and in press-releases and interviews. Being short on space means that you have to make tough choices, and tough choices are always between a bad option and a worse option.

Wedge on
    Give a man fire and he has fire for a day, set a man on fire and he has fire for the rest of his life.
  • AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Can we please wait for an official response before we engage in rampant forum speculation?

I'm sure we will be getting an official response soon from official channels. Until then, speculation and hearsay will not make anything better.

Let's keep our heads on our shoulders till we have the full story.

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Of course they want to make money. But the whole reason why I have wanted to attend PAX for years is because it is no pressure and has a sense of family that is lacking in most other CONS.

And how would you feel if your "family" let you know "Oh, by the way, we don't need you anymore."? :P
    Where the person who posted this thread, well it appears all they care about is their bottom dollar and not the enjoyment of the game which I thought PAX was about. *shrugs* Or perhaps I am way out in left field here. It has been known to happen.

They adjusted their schedule to fit in PAX. They acted in good faith. They limited their appearance at DragonCon to come to PAX (are they going to be reimbursed for that?) They're a small company and I seriously doubt they have a PR or Marketing guy. I'm willing to cut a small business owner some slack when shit happens and they don't respond like we've been trained to expect the corporate machine to (with sanitized press releases and such). *shrug* Putting myself in their shoes, I'd probably have done the same thing. Maybe a *little* less confrontational in the OP, but still. :P

I agree with you. It sucks that they got cut out, and they have a valid concern. However, attacking Penny-Arcade and trying to get the forums to attack the organizers of the show is wrong. There is a better way they could have presented their argument, and they would not have met with this much resistance.

eye-shuh on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've heard PAX described as a celebration of games and gamer culture, so I don't know why anyone would remove such a facet of that culture. I enjoyed spending money while I was there, so I'm a bit dismayed that I won't be returning with as many cool souvenirs.

More boring free stuff I throw away a week later, wheeew!

b0wser on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I do not work for some huge corporation either, but there is no way on this planet I would behave like that when I am representing a company that is trying to sell a product. It is a business matter between PAX org and the business and should never have been brought to the boards IMHO.

Except that by bringing it to the boards they're likely to get a resolution one way or the other sooner rather than later. Which allows them more time to try and arrange more space at DragonCon or elsewhere. While their tone might hurt their chances of a resolution in their favor, a speedy resolution might be worth it to them. *shrug* I doubt we'll ever agree on this. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    I agree with you. It sucks that they got cut out, and they have a valid concern. However, attacking Penny-Arcade and trying to get the forums to attack the organizers of the show is wrong. There is a better way they could have presented their argument, and they would not have met with this much resistance.

I suspect that based on the massive loyalty the forums have towards PAX that even if they had posted their complaint couched in rainbows and kittens they would have gotten just as much resistance. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Accalon wrote: »
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Can we please wait for an official response before we engage in rampant forum speculation?

I'm sure we will be getting an official response soon from official channels. Until then, speculation and hearsay will not make anything better.

Let's keep our heads on our shoulders till we have the full story.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't really matter if we agree or disagree with the EH being stripped of its merch possibilites. Bringing this to the boards and making it a public mater was, IMHO, a bit unethical and underhanded. This is a private business mater between two companies, and now one party is trying to use us, the public, as some sort of peer pressure to force PAX to do what they want.

I don't like this companies business practices if this is how they handel problems, and I for one will never buy from them again. Oh and you may shoot back that im only 1 consumer out of 50,000, but im willing to bet im not the only customer you just lost.

The_Reflection on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    quad post?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited May 2009
    *shrug* I doubt we'll ever agree on this. :)

On that we do agree and this is fine :) There is nothing wrong with having different POVs

Jules@Party934.com on
  • The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like videogames. Shirts are for squares.

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ditto all the people who said we should wait for an official response. In other words, stop with the posting mebbe, untill such a response comes? That would be greeeaaat.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited May 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    quad post?

If it's worth saying, it's worth saying four times!

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited May 2009
    I think we should stop posting about stopping posting!

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    quad post?

Ha ha, ooops. I'm in class, posting from my phone. Guess I clicked the post button a bit to hard.

The_Reflection on
  • beowuffbeowuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    to say nothing of you, the attendees, who spend a LOT of money on a ticket that will get you into a hall full of...well, not much, really, if there's nowhere to spend your money.

But here 's the thing... If all I'm going to the show for is to buy your stuff, why would I go to the show? I can skip the "entry fee" of a ticket and buy online. I don't buy a ticket to buy your stuff. I buy a ticket to play games that are not released yet. I can't do that anywhere else. This is an exhibit hall, meant for "exhibiting" things like new games. If all your doing is selling things, then you shouldn't be in that hall.

However, I DO think there is a need for a separate merchant hall or section. THAT makes sense. It's too bad at this point that there does not seem to be enough room.

If I have to make a choice... More exhibitors, less merchants please.

I am unhappy for you that the notice was so late. They probably thought they could squeeze you in until recently... Maybe more exhibitors suddenly signed up, so they had to make the decision...

beowuff on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2009
    Hi, faceless Pegasus Publishing guy, whoever you may be. (Scott? Phil?) Why you've decided to air this on our boards, I'll never know, but hey, it's out here so I may as well respond to it. :)

I will first say I apologize for the miscommunication between our Reed sales guy and you. We let him know in January that Pegasus probably wasn't the best fit and to let you know. We didn't catch the discrepancy until last week, so again - completely 100% our fault for not letting you know sooner. That was really inconsiderate and could have been handled better.

----

Now to the rest of you - I want to make sure the air is clear as far as the way things work. My one job is to make sure everything at PAX is as awesome as possible. From the programming to the look of the badges to the after-parties to the musical acts - we try to create an experience that from soup to nuts is as fantastic for you as possible.

That said, there are two (related) issues here:

1. Just like there are only so many hours in the day for panels, there is only so much square footage in the expo hall. We have to make tough decisions across all areas of the show and end up turning down some great exhibitors just like we turn down some great panels.

2. Because of this shortage of space, we are even more adamant about making sure every exhibitor is the right "fit." Some people may disagree with what does and doesn't fall into that bucket, but on the whole I think we've done a pretty good job with the expo hall's direction in the past.

It's true - at times you might see an exhibitor that wasn't up to par, but I assure you we try our hardest to prevent that. Our commitment is to you, the attendee. Yes, this policy is going to ruffle some feathers for those exhibitors we don't think are a great fit.

Also, just to be clear - we're not against exhibitors selling their wares. I'm not sure where that sentiment came from, but there *will* be relevant merch (games, etc) for those that want them.

Love, Robert.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Love, Robert.

I alway knew you loved me!

Azazel on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    <3<3<3 Khoo!

MetaverseNomad on
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Boom, headshot.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
    edited May 2009
    And we love him back! XD

Khoo is win and a half.

eye-shuh on
  • NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for responding Khoo. I appreciate that you recognized that not letting a potential vendor/exhibitor know that they weren't welcome only 98 days away from the con was suboptimal. I was really hoping that this was an oversight and not an example of poor business practice.

I also appreciate your mentioning that there will be vendors and merchandise at PAX. A lot of people clearly love that.

Neelix on
    edited May 2009
    I wasn't planning on wearing clothing to pax anyways, so I suppose I might have to buy a shirt at some point.

The DIMD on
    edited May 2009
    The DIMD wrote: »
    I wasn't planning on wearing clothing to pax anyways, so I suppose I might have to buy a shirt at some point.

smexy

Jules@Party934.com on
  • ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

smexy

Wait until you meet The DIMD before you suggest anything along those lines...
    *shudder*

(just teasing DIMD, i'm not in a position to judge your relative sexiness, that's up to the ladies, or however that works)

ashridah on
    edited May 2009
    ashridah wrote: »

smexy

*shudder*

(just teasing DIMD, i'm not in a position to judge your relative sexiness, that's up to the ladies, or however that works)

LOL too offend me would require quite a bit more than poking fun sir. No worries :)

In regards to my looks... well... I'm sexilicious and that's all there is to it.

The DIMD on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

smexy

*shudder*

nbcthemoreyouknow.jpg

MetaverseNomad on
    edited May 2009
    Hey now. No shirt. No shoes. No gaming.

Pants, however, are entirely up to you.

eye-shuh on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Who will be the king... of no pants!?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited May 2009

smexy

*shudder*

nbcthemoreyouknow.jpg

This is how I see it. If I can get it from someone else on another thread, I am free to randomly dish it out on another :)

Jules@Party934.com on
    edited May 2009

smexy

*shudder*

nbcthemoreyouknow.jpg
    This is how I see it. If I can get it from someone else on another thread, I am free to randomly dish it out on another :)

I agree whole heartedly. Besides, I'm far too easy going to be easily offended.

P.S.: <3 Ashridah!

The DIMD on
  • AccalonAccalon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Who will be the king... of no pants!?

Clearly that is me, however, can I be the Champeen of no pants?

Thanks, Khoo for setting this straight. No one wanted to think our beloved Penny-Arcade was set on taking away our 'merch'. Afterall, that would only make the Merch angry and I like my torso.

Accalon on
    PAX 2007 Omegathon Champeen

*Proud member of the Photoshop Heroes*
    edited May 2009

smexy

*shudder*

nbcthemoreyouknow.jpg

*swoons* *insert fainting emoticon here*

Jules@Party934.com on
    edited May 2009

smexy

*shudder*

nbcthemoreyouknow.jpg

*swoons* *insert fainting emoticon here*

I get that a lot... especially since i'm apparently being Captain planet for PAX XD

The DIMD on
    edited May 2009

I get that a lot... especially since i'm apparently being Captain planet for PAX XD

OKAY now I feel like a total tard, but bear with me as I am like new here and stuffs, XD? I am getting all sorts of pornographic connotations from those letters.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    XD is an LMAO face. Tilt your head to the left and look at it.

I always laugh when I drive by a Scion xD now.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited May 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    XD is an LMAO face. Tilt your head to the left and look at it.

I always laugh when I drive by a Scion xD now.

WOW did my blonde roots ever just show or what.

See when I see the X I think DOH! type expression. It was all that talk about people walking around with no pants.

Yup that is what did it.

Jules@Party934.com on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't be surprised by the no pants. There is a large number of guys that don't wear pants to PAX.

I blame these guys.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited May 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    Don't be surprised by the no pants. There is a large number of guys that don't wear pants to PAX.

I blame these guys.

Kilts FTW

Jules@Party934.com on
This discussion has been closed.