As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the Thread About Books and Literature.

• Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But then I need to buy that first :(

Burning Organ on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Try a library.

Cilla Black on
    edited May 2009
    Our library fucking sucks....

Think I'm just gonna read a sequel and hten pretend the other book is a prequel that was released after.

Burning Organ on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Hey, what's wrong with the True Blood books? :evil:

I read the first one and...eh. It was just okay. Maybe they get better, but it was basically a convoluted mystery novel with a few fangs up in it. I felt a bit let down by the ending.

I liked Grave Sight better.

I haven't read Grave Sight, but yeah, the first is mostly a weird mystery book. I give the series some points because it's set in my state. I also just like the idea of vampires "outing" themselves and the consequences of such. I mean, it's not fantastic fiction, but it's entertaining.

JoeUser on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't be sad.

That just means you get to read American Gods.

It's true. Where Gaiman is involved, there is no need for that kind of emotion. Bring your smiles and puppy dog flowers, or we kill you.

Also, Anasi Boys isn't so much of a sequel that you really need to have read American Gods first. It stands perfectly well on its own, and I imagine it will be just as fun reading AG second as it was to read it first.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    It took me forever to find out that the book was called Anansi brothers in English.

I don't understand why but Finnish people just can't make a straight translation.
    So instead it's called The Spidergod.

What the fuck?

Burning Organ on
    edited May 2009
    Well...Anansi is the god of spiders, so I suppose it's fitting enough.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    But why not just call it the Anansi Brothers?
    It translates without a hitch!

Burning Organ on
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    A quick side note about True Blood. I know this isn't about the books, but what the hell was going on with that show? It's probably the only HBO show I've watched to completion in recent memory that I remember thinking wasn't very good, at all. The last few episodes, especially...it blew my mind. Did I miss something that made the unveiling of the villain seem just totally fucking random and out of the blue? The whole final episode, for that matter, seemed pretty terrible.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mrpaku wrote: »
    i've been reading Imajica, which i didn't feel really found it's stride until the half-gay shapeshifter pseudo-rape

I clicked out of the thread, paused, and came back to make sure I actually saw this.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited May 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »
    i've been reading Imajica, which i didn't feel really found it's stride until the half-gay shapeshifter pseudo-rape

I clicked out of the thread, paused, and came back to make sure I actually saw this.

Reading Imajica is like drilling a hole in your skull so that can Clive Barker can fuck your brain.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Got the rest of my sci-fi reading list today. Count Zero, The Forever War, and Little Brother. I've heard of the former two (William Gibson and Joe Haldeman) but never the latter.

Huh, me too. What's the scoop on Little Brother (or as much as you know not having actually, you know, read it yet)?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just bought Neil Gaimans Anansi boys.

Little did I know it was a sequel before I bought it :(

it's not a direct sequel, there's one character that appears in both novels but they are totally independent stories.

You should still read American Gods though because it's amazing.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Nik Huze wrote: »
    Still reading Deadhouse Gates. Really slow going, but I think thats because I watch too much tv and play too many videogames.

Crazy awesome shit be happening, but I don't really care about any of the characters...

You don't care about Coltaine?

what the fuck is wrong with you boy.

Also Fiddler is the best.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Still reading Deadhouse Gates. Really slow going, but I think thats because I watch too much tv and play too many videogames.

Crazy awesome shit be happening, but I don't really care about any of the characters...

I need to pick this series up. I'll grab the first one this weekend maybe.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nik HuzeNik Huze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »

Coltaine and Fiddler are cool. I like Iskaral Pust as well.

I can see why this series gets compared to Ice and Fire, but I haven't really connected with the characters yet. I don't really care who lives or dies, I mostly just look forward to what crazy magic god stuff will go down next.

In ASOIAF I'm constantly worried if my favorite characters are gonna die, which factions will prevail, and if the people I hate will get theirs. Malazan just seems to be lacking something.

Nik Huze on
    edited May 2009
    Well with a few notable exceptions, the characterization in the Malazan books dosen't really compare to ASOIAF.

ASOIAF is much more character driven, while Malazan is very very plot driven, and the cast is so goddamn huge.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I finally finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, and I really liked it

though the ending was honestly really confusing at first and I had to re-read it a couple of times before everything clicked

also, now that I've checked the Wiki page for it, I knew there was a reason it started to feel like a Doctor Who story after a certain point

Grey Ghost on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    I think there's going to be another sexy vampire show on the CW I think
    Just heard about it in passing
    But damn man
    Up to our necks in sexy vampires

Sexy vampires: the new Hoth?

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    really it's been a book thing for years, twilight just broke it open to the mainstream

it's why vampires are the least awesome form of undead now

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't forget the world of darkness vampire mmorpg coming out in 2010.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've hated vampires since blade 3

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Right now we're right in the middle of a vampire backlash, kind of like the one for pirates and ninjas. There's going to be one for zombies pretty soon.

Shorty on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i think cowboys will be next.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    edited May 2009
    it will take a mighty mighty backlash to make me stop loving zombies

never was big into pirates or ninjas

at least ninjas that don't play shiny red guitars

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited May 2009
    There has been one for zombies, at least among the crowd that actually read World War Z and such when it was big

Zombies just haven't become big enough in mainstream movies that people are tired of them. They inhabit their own genre, and people lap that up

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Isn't Little Brother that book about when Big Brother looks down on us they're the ones that look back or some such?

Also reading Summer Knight, I like it so far.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been tired of zombies for quite some time now. I feel the same way about the zombie situation as I do the vampires and ninjas and the rest of it, because while I like them all I'm tired of seeing jackasses use them until they're pounded into dust. All of the zombie chaff is making it hard to find the zombie wheat.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited May 2009
    zombie wheat is delicious

not as good as zombie rye though

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited May 2009
    Zombie sourdough is the best

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I went on a bit of a reading binge before uni started ramping up again. Read Good Omens, Small Gods and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. I picked up a collection of Chandler's first three stories which is next on the list, followed by Hemmingway's Old Man and the Sea.

Glorfindel on
    edited May 2009
    I prefer nonfiction books, all the fiction I read is pretty much garbage

this crisis on infinite earths novelization is pretty good though

after this I am going to read The Professor and The Madman: A Tale Of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dicitionary

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    All of the zombie chaff is making it hard to find the zombie wheat.

zombiewheat.jpg

Shorty on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You gotta shoot 'em in the bread!

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited May 2009
    is that a zombie face?

it looks like it's from rocko's modern life

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited May 2009
    It's supposed to be a zombie. I would have turned it green but that is kind of beyond the capabilities of MS Paint.

Shorty on
    edited May 2009
    TRY HARDER

I DEMAND QUALITY

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited May 2009
    YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT

Shorty on
    edited May 2009
    I usually do.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Retarded_TurkeyRetarded_Turkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I grabbed Dresden 3 and 4 today, and read the first chapter of 3. Micheal is a badass. Please tell me he is in more books.

Retarded_Turkey on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.