As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forum culture

• SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As a pretty casual forumer I used to struggle to keep up with G&T in the megathread days but now I do the vast majority of my posting in ODAM. The smaller number of regulars and resultant slower pace means I can actually see everything that goes on in there rather than logging on and seeing three pages of threads with new posts. Being one of the small forums just feels a lot nicer to me too, hard to explain why really.

SUPERSUGA on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    I post in SE++ because it's hilarious.
    :^:

wait wait oh god what

SithDrummer on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like SE. I only really go there because I've gone there for years, since the ol M2 days. And really its not nearly as funny or entertaining, but its basically the place where I can keep up on what the internet thinks about things. D&D is alright, there are good threads but I dont post here a huge amount.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aquabat wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    What seperates the forums for me is that they're all cliquish but in different ways. D&D's cliquishness is overt and predictable. G&T will go all "blargtrollkill" on somebody for no apparent reason. SE++ definitely has a cadre of cool kids, but fuck if I can figure out what makes them cool. D&D's pretty simple; if somebody gets ostracized, it's because they repeatedly say stupid shit, and D&D makes no bones about it. So don't repeatedly say stupid shit, and you're golden.

Dude, stupid shit is all I ever say
    Only sometimes. Most of the time we're too mezmerized by the sheer amount of awesome in your posts to notice the dumb stuff.

Hacksaw on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I used to read AC a lot, now I read D&D and SE++ the most. I don't post that often in SE++, but when I first joined after lurking I posted there quite a bit. D&D is just where it is at now though, even though people keep on bringing up that one incident :P

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i miss m2. it was perfect.

D&D comes close but, it's not the same. I like the people more but the atmosphere is different.

also just so we are on the same page, nexus is the only one of you I'm 100% sure isn't a robot.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dammit stop positng in thread immedaitely before me!

And I could be a cyborg or some sort you know

nexuscrawler on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    cass do you mean the time you elbowed choco in the face after almost throwing up on his wang or do you mean the time you got drunk and told us all that he had a gigantic penis

Kusuguttai on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    cass do you mean the time you elbowed choco in the face after almost throwing up on his wang or do you mean the time you got drunk and told us all that he had a gigantic penis
    Or the time you told us that his mother found half a box of condoms?

Aldo on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Or the time you told us that his mother found half a box of condoms?

The aftermath of that discovery couldn't have been fun...

ViolentChemistry on
    edited March 2007
    Yes yes we've all seen Chocos giant penis

nexuscrawler on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SE++ is fun because you can pretty much post whatever you want.

Meissnerd on
    edited March 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »

Unless you're not an SE++ regular.

ViolentChemistry on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And no one will reply to you :P

Aldo on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I've noticed that, too.

The Green Eyed Monster on
    edited March 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

I've noticed that, too.

you know where you fucking belong.

Variable on
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, every single one of these forums, with the exception of H/A, has a clique. A centralized group of people who'll respond to eachothers posts, make threads that are "acceptable", etc.

It's possible to integrate yourself into one of the many, many cliques of the PA forums, but fuck, who wants to try? I can't stand clique-ish people, and I think everybody would benefit if everybody was just a little more friendly.

This goes for almost all the PA forums.

This is the reason why the main forum I'm at is H/A.

super triple edit: In G&Ts defense, with the elimination of megathreads and the chat thread, it's become much less of a clique, and just boring now... that's just lack of good threads/creativity, tho.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
    edited March 2007
    I integrated pretty smoothly into SE++, but then again, I am all about cocks so

Kusuguttai on
    edited March 2007
    Man, every single one of these forums, with the exception of H/A, has a clique. A centralized group of people who'll respond to eachothers posts, make threads that are "acceptable", etc.

It's possible to integrate yourself into one of the many, many cliques of the PA forums, but fuck, who wants to try? I can't stand clique-ish people, and I think everybody would benefit if everybody was just a little more friendly.

This goes for almost all the PA forums.

This is the reason why the main forum I'm at is H/A.

I don't see people flaming anyone for not being in the right clique here or in G&T (not since the adjustment, anyway). I see people who say really really dumb stuff and then claim that the reason people flame them is because they're not part of the clique, but that's not really the same thing.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited March 2007
    I integrated pretty smoothly into SE++, but then again, I am all about cocks so

Dude you're like a walking Achewood comic thats why

nexuscrawler on
    edited March 2007
    DUDE HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU, SHE CAME ON TO ME

Kusuguttai on
    edited March 2007
    G&T sucks now.

also, incidentally, there are 1 or 2 PS3 megathreads right now. They just aren't called that. Bullshit.

Variable on
    edited March 2007
    pfft
    "now"

Kusuguttai on
    edited March 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    G&T sucks now.

also, incidentally, there are 1 or 2 PS3 megathreads right now. They just aren't called that. Bullshit.

And half of them turn into a Wii circle jerk by page 2

nexuscrawler on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey Kusu, this guy's trying to be all analytical, and stuff.

Hacksaw on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    G&T sucks now.

At least one of them was created as a siphon for all of the lol sony crap that drags down every single thread that even tangentially has to do with Sony products.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Hey Kusu, this guy's trying to be all analytical, and stuff.

hehe

Kusuguttai on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007
    G&T sucks now.

Not really. A megathread is basically "all talk about console goes here", and is continually remade after reaching the page limit. That's what was removed. It's not just any thread with any vaguely larger scope.

I remember when I made a thread about the Zelda series and people went "WTF MEGATHREAD", but it really bears no resemblance to the ACTUAL megathreads. Some tard did the same thing on the first post of a thread about Sony in G&T, it's just retarded attention seeking.

Tube on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hey look at me. I'm CT and I'm all reasonable and objective and shit!

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    redx wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    It's pretty much impossible to clear your name. Once D&D brands you with a scarlett letter you are fucked.
    ehh... not really. Just look at Yar.
    OMG HOLY SHIT when I read Than's post I was like, "nuh-uh, check me out!" and then you posted it next. Awesome.

Anyway, back in the day I was 100% G&T. G&T was sort of a technology based H/A back then, with a smattering of particularly good threads on "what's your favorite <whatever> game?"

I was the man there, I made huge posts about C++ and PC architecture and security systems and all kinds of shit. My PM box was crazy with requests for one-on-one tech support and drawn-out discussions on old PC RPGs.

Eventually it got boring, though. The same threads kept coming up over and over, and try as we might, we couldn't keep down all the fanboiism. Having spent years in political/philosophical debate in newsgroups and BBSs, EE [D&D] was like that extra last syringe and shot of heroin that the addict keeps locked away after he's quit, but doesn't dare touch. Eventually I jumped in, and I found it to be one of the best discussion forums ever. A few times I went back to G&T and everyone was all "Yar's back!", but slowly I earned a stronger rep as a dickhole here than I did as a nice guy there, and G&T outgrew those who still knew or cared who I was.

I still hit up G&T and H/A now and then, mostly to lurk, but with a few posts. SE++ has never been anything but a pitiful clique of chip-on-the-shoulder 'net punks. I've rarely made attempts to do the work required to k3wl my way into it, and when I have, I generally just get fed up. But there is some funny stuff there. I've probably looked into AC and WB like once each, and I hit up the Den only as needed.
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yar catches a lot more shit than he deserves, too.
    I don't know. It flares up now and then, but I wouldn't say "a lot more." I think I'm impressed by the tolerance and civility much more so than I am pissed at the shit I get. It's really just a minority of posters who actually give me more than I deserve, and they are all ones who probably deserve some themselves.
    Obs wrote: »
    Do I catch more shit than I deserve too
    My guess is that you deserve more of what you get. The non-sequitors really aren't as deep and clever as you want them to be. Sometimes they are, usually they aren't. My aggravations aren't a gimmick.
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Yeah, _J_ was unfortunate. Especially when when people were picking on him even in the chat thread.
    _J_ was a tough call because he always flirted really hard with that thin line between making a complicated point and being a pedantic troll. No one was ever really sure if he was just messing with us to prove how smart he is, or if he earnestly supported his points and he really thought that his wild tangents were logical.
    Is there any one forumer who is respected no matter which forum he goes to?
    There have been in the past, but my guess is that it's too big these days. mcc comes to mind, though.

Yar on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raneados wrote: »
    saw it coming

man you guys say SE is predictable

pshaw

Logic can only produce so many outcomes.

Incenjucar on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    You guys have to admit though some mods are douches. Across all forums. Except Writers Block, for some reason.

Obs on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You guys have to admit though some mods are douches. Across all forums. Except Writers Block, for some reason.

You're just mad you got nicked in H/A for being a moron.

We've had some bad ones in the past, but we've got a good group in D&D now. H/A has good mods too. Pheezer gets some flack from people, but he's good cause he doesn't let any shit fly.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

None of the mods I've been around.

I think it has more to do with you being fricking obnoxious.

Incenjucar on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man I've never seen any sort of clique in G&T, or SE++ Unless forum regulars count as cliques?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SE++ moves way too fast for me. I hate reading through backpages of threads. Plus, it's....... all about some cocks.

Casual Eddy on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SE++ moves way too fast for me. I hate reading through backpages of threads. Plus, it's....... all about some cocks.

You need to keep up with a thread?

90% of the time the topic of the thread changes every couple pages, going of on random tangents until a thread about a weird classroom experiance becomes sloppy furry cosplay. At which point the thread dies.

And then the cycle begins anew.

Unless it's something epic.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2007

The problem you have, and will continue to have, is that you don't realise that the reason you are treated the way you are is because you act like a total fucking moron. It's much easier to think "that mod is a douche" than "maybe I'm a tool". You can ask any of the mods, I keep a ridiculously close eye on them. I have a record of all the things you've been punished for, they were all richly deserved and you remain unbanned purely on the good graces of the "douche" moderators.

Tube on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man CT, I hope you're not a douche. Being a hedgehog and all.

DarkPrimus on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Man CT, I hope you're not a douche. Being a hedgehog and all.

CT: One Prickly Son of a Bitch

Also, I appreciate the sig size reduce in SE++. Hopefully it encourages people to start posting in other subforums.

I just posted here because of the House thread, but it seems like a nice enough place. It's like Pata said, you get to know the stereotypes, like "The D&D assholes" or the "Dicks from SE++" or the "Mouthbreathers from G&T" and you get discouraged. I spent a lot of my early forum membership at G&T, back when there was a chat thread, and I go there when SE is having a slow day. None of the stereotypes are true. There might be one or two people who are complete dicks, but there are plenty of people who post on two or more subforums.

Like Pata.

Scrumtrulescent on