As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD4E Recruiting] Need a replacement for Dragondeep

DenadaDenada Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Critical Failures
I really hate to do it, and honestly I hope I won't have to, but I need to start looking for a replacement for the defender in my Dragondeep game.

I'd prefer it if you've been following along so that you know what's going on, but since this won't be a retcon replacement that's actually not necessary. Details:

What's Allowed:
-PHB 1 and 2.
-Dragon Articles.
-Martial and Arcane Power.

What's Not Allowed:
-Drow.
-FR material.
-Hybrid Playtest.

You character needs to be suitably heroic, because this is a game about heroes doing heroic things. You can be "rough around the edges", but you need to be a hero and you need to be able to work as a team.

If you're interested give me a character concept. I don't need a sheet yet, because I don't want you to put in the work if it turns out that either a) you don't get picked, or b) the current player comes back.

Denada on

• SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, well darn. So much for the Swordmage I wanted to submit. >.<

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »
    Oh, well darn. So much for the Swordmage I wanted to submit. >.<

Ha, I had the same thought here Saw. Back to the drawing board.

Jebu on
  • ahcobrasahcobras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cytorak pointed me to this forum for pbp stuff, so I'll probably throw my hat in the ring. Looks like fun.

ahcobras on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm interested, i'll read your game tonight and see if I can come up with something suitable.

Hermenegilde on
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I might be interested in this. I'll have to catch up on the thread, stopped at around page 30 lol. How soon are you looking at closing this off?

Crimson Phantom on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I might be interested in this. I'll have to catch up on the thread, stopped at around page 30 lol. How soon are you looking at closing this off?

Well, allowing enough time for current events to resolve, I would say about a week. There's not really a hard limit though.

Denada on
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, that's more than enough time. I was just worried since I'm really busy the next couple of days with helping out at a video/table-top gaming convention this weekend. Also just wondering but how much detail do you want for our concepts? Like the basics of race, class, appearance, personality traits, and background?

Crimson Phantom on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, here's a concept:

Auror Stonescar grew up and took up the mantle of a warden of a tribe of shifters in the depths of a mighty forest near a large mountain range, where their elders regularly communed with nature spirits and their warriors regularly went out in hunting parties to gather food and ward off trespassers. The elders received warnings about something within the network of caves underneath the nearby mountains, and sent out a large party of pack warriors including Auror to enter the underground passages and defeat the evil lurking there.

Auror does not remember much of what happened in the darkness beneath the earth, but he does remember the screams of his friends and the smell of blood and burning flesh. They faced creatures beyond Auror's understanding, not mere Drow or unthinking monsters, but something wholly unnatural and cruelly cunning. He collapsed from his wounds, and when he awoke he was covered in the corpses of his pack. Overwhelmed with shame, Auror could not return to his tribe, and instead went out to wander the world and find a new pack to run with, and perhaps some form of redemption, or failing that, revenge.

Jebu on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the basics of race, class, appearance, personality traits, and background

Those are enough.

Denada on
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's a concept for Hugh, Warforged Warden.

Long ago, a powerful and elderly mage crafted a wondrous construct to be his untiring servant. The construct's first task was chopping down a copse of trees to make room for his master's new tower. The wizard beamed as his creation sliced through the first great trunk with unnatural speed. Unfortunately, the old chap was none too spry, and his last thoughts, as the tree fell toward him, were largely concerned with how he should have observed the tree-felling process from a distance further away than the height of the aforementioned trees.

The construct waited patiently for another command. As time went on, vines twined their way up beneath his frame of metal, moss grew over his body of stone, and green shoots emerged from his wooden skin. The life of the forest seeped slowly into the delicate and mysterious workings of his artificial mind, coaxing forth a strange new life.

Sensing the bizarre birth, a dryad of the wood sought out the living construct. "You're a curious thing," she said to him. "What shall we call you?"

Unsure of what else to say, the construct remembered its last verbal command. "Hew?"

"Hugh," mused the dryad. "That's a nice name."

She adopted Hugh, teaching him the ways of the forest and the balance of nature. He became a defender of the wild, opposing disruptive and unnatural forces wherever he found them. He respects life in its many forms. In his darker moments, he questions whether he is one of the perversions of nature that he so opposes. He is eager to learn and insatiably curious, especially about greater civilization, with which he has had limited experience.

Saurfang on
  • HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow. That was a longer read than I thought :P.
    Pretty good too.
    I will make a character, but I refuse to pop out of nowhere so I'll include something to get me to Viscar.

Henrik the Happy, son of Derrik, human fighter

Henrik was a cheerful child, full of positive energy, so on his manhood day, when he turned eleven, they dubbed him "the Happy". Raised on a farm but uninterested in farm life, Henrik used to sneak out of the farmstead to meet with veterans and retired soldiers, to learn the arts of fighting and soldiering. At 15 he set out for the unknown, his head full of dreams, in search of glorious battles.
    Reality was... different. The cities are full of petty evils and self-centered jerks, hardly a foe that one can battle. Not discouraged nor dispirited, Henrik trekked on to wilder, less populated lands, still in search of adventure. He hooked up with some adventurers, one of them turning out to be evil and leading them into a trap. Of their company of seven, only Henrik and a halfling named Wellan survived. The halfling opted to return home. Henrik pressed on, doing odd jobs for various people.
    The last person who hired him was a caravan master, carrying materials to help the rebuilding of a city or some such. A noble cause.
    When they arrived at destination, he found out that there was but one employer in this city and was told that he could hire as a guard, or go out on foot. He decided to stay for a while. The more time he passed there, the more he became convinced that something not right was going on. For one thing, the "rebuilding" did not seem to include houses and shops, but work camps and strange looking contraptions. There was a heaviness of spirit around the place, which could be due to the cataclysm that obviously happened there, but Henrik did not think so. He was becoming convinced that his employers were evil.

Hermenegilde on
  • SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey Denada. I really enjoy your game designs, and for that I want to post my submission. He's a hero.

Threasher the Dragonborn barbarian

"An egg has been found elder. It seems too large to be that of the local wildlife...something more dwells inside..."

Born into a human village in the desert, Threasher received his name from the village elder. A tradition common within the community. The elder gave him this name not only for his obvious physical attributes, but also for what he kept inside of him; a personality that would always clash against his upbringing...A sense of being an outsider in a village he called his own.

When he turned 15 he was placed on guard of the village, a right bestowed to him earlier than his "friends" in the village. I saw "friends" because there lacks a softer word, perhaps acquaintances would be more precise. He was valiant and courageous, much like that of others of his kind, but also showed the restraint of a disciplined guard. Still, this was not his walk of life.

As he grew, so did his isolation. He became increasingly silent, yet more and more brutal. The only sounds from him came on the battlefield, when warring over resources with neighboring settlements. With him in tow, his village became wealthy in water as well as land. But he was treated like a tamed wolf, chained and distrusted.

Behind the village's back the other nations grew jealous of it's wealth and banded together. There was an attack on the village Threasher picked up his Greataxe and flew into the fray. A roar ripped through the battlements as he tossed foes asunder. His ax as thirsty for blood as his enemies for water. But even he fell as the full force of the desert was thrown upon him. He was conquered and thrown to the wilderness to survive and to find himself again...

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR