As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Graphics card that works with 365W Power Supply?

Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronkRegistered User regular
So, I have a bit of an issue. I have an HP DC7800 desktop, and apparently it does not use a standard ATX form factor power supply. The existing power supply looks to be 3.75" tall, and standard ATX is 3.4" tall.

So, barring a total upgrade of my PC which isn't possible right now, what is the best graphics card I could run on a 365W power supply? I'm currently running a GeForce 8500 GT...

steam_sig.png
Captain Eleven on

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The number of Watts doesn't tell you much about the power supply, the number of amps on the 12V rails is more important.

Hopefully you can run a ATI 4770 card. If you can you can get a card about as powerful as a 9800GTX for about $100. I read somewhere that they barely need PCIE connector so I'd say your chances are fairly good.

I found this on Yahoo answers:
    The HD4770 draws a maximum of 80 watts. 80 watts / 12 volts = 6.7 Amps. If the rest of your system is typical (a 100-watt CPU, 1HDD, 1ODD, mobo + ram), they will pull another 13 amps or so on the +12V under full load. So look at your PSU's label and see if it can deliver at least 20 Amps on the +12V. If it can, it should work.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks cook, I'll check that out.

Edit: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

-12V 0.15A
    +12Vcpu 14.5A
    +12V 12A

That's not what I wanted to see.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It would help if you said what type of connection AGP, PCI x16? Right now I would suggest something between a HD 4350 & HD 4650. Preferably with a passive cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250

Dark Shroud on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it the standard width? When I was using my HP computer case, when I upgraded my PSU I just screwed it into the top bracket and left a small gap at the bottom. It worked fine.

Robman on
    edited May 2009
    Thanks cook, I'll check that out.

Edit: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

-12V 0.15A
    +12Vcpu 14.5A
    +12V 12A

That's not what I wanted to see.

It's the total of the 12V rails that matters, even a high quality 700W PSU might not have any single rail at 20A. I'm guessing you are fine as far as the PSU goes. Unfortunately, demand for 4770's is higher than supply and every single card is sold out on newegg.

Still it might be worth waiting. That card is the first to use a 40nm chip so it will give you the best bang for the Watt.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    It's a PCI-e slot.
    Robman wrote: »
    Is it the standard width? When I was using my HP computer case, when I upgraded my PSU I just screwed it into the top bracket and left a small gap at the bottom. It worked fine.

Did you have the stupid dc7800 type case where EVERYTHING is mirrored? I was just going to swap everything into a new case but the freaking motherboard is "mirrored" such that I can't fit it into a standard case.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's a PCI-e slot.
    Robman wrote: »

Did you have the stupid dc7800 type case where EVERYTHING is mirrored? I was just going to swap everything into a new case but the freaking motherboard is "mirrored" such that I can't fit it into a standard case.

No, I had an A1000 series micro-atx. Piece of dogshit motherfucker case too, but it wasn't mirrored. I threw it out after I melted my CPU (fan failed under full load CPU)

Robman on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You don't really need to have the PSU in the case, I mean its not a huge deal you could just have all the cables go in the back and run them in while the PSU sits on top of the case.

Dixon on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That sounds really safe.
    By safe, I mean not safe.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm going to be on the lookout for a 4770 I think.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    There is one 4770 in stock at newegg atm.
    link

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That sounds really safe.

I've done it a hundred times, how would it not be safe. Unless your an idiot and knock it off the case. You could even just screw the PSU into the top of the case. It's in its own case anyway, it is perfectly fine

Dixon on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    That sounds really safe.

I've done it a hundred times, how would it not be safe. Unless your an idiot and knock it off the case. You could even just screw the PSU into the top of the case. It's in its own case anyway, it is perfectly fine

for that matter, the motherboard doesn't have to be in the case either. The HDDs work fine outside of the case too. You could put the whole computer on your desk without a case at all, and unless you're an idiot it'll be perfectly safe!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    That sounds really safe.

Yes, I would not suggest keeping the PSU outside the case unless it's on a desk or something. Balanced on top of a tower? Stupid.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You could also buy a 2nd powersupply for your computer, some of them are even designed to go in the 5.25" bay. And connect your card there.

A lot of these prebuilt machines with unique PSUs have weird voltage standards that might not work with a normal PSU.

(Sorry, but they seem to be ultra rare)

Satsumomo on