As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Watching NHL finals in the UK

EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I leave tomorrow for the UK. I arrive there on Friday. Finals start on Saturday. I've tried to watch games on the internet before, but they always tell me the schedule and have a radio play by play.

I realize that all the games start at 1 AM. Am I SOL? Or was I using NHL.com wrong. Or is there some kind of awesome 3 option.

I'll be in the Middlesbrough area, so that Canadian bar in London isn't going to help.

EskimoDave on

• Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I believe there's a website (though may be blocked in the UK) where you can watch TV online. I dunno if Versus is available there or not, but you might try a pub or something. I'd imagine in something its available.

Go Pens.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    UK is five hours ahead of Eastern Time Zone, where all the SCF games will be played since Detroit and Pit are both in that zone. So, yeah, you're correct about the time in the UK.

Their might be live streaming of the video on CBC.ca. The way CBC is wording this:
    Game 1 is set for Saturday night (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 8 p.m. ET), while Game 2 takes place Sunday (CBC, CBCSports.ca, TBD)
    Makes me thing they'll be streaming their feed. Which I think they've done for the final in the past.

Alternatively, I guess a Slingbox would work, but you'd need to buy one and set it up before you leave.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    CBC *should* be streaming the games.

Aridhol on
  • arcticmonkeysfanarcticmonkeysfan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Use www.atdhe.net, they stream all kinds of sports live. You can also use sopcast though I'm not really sure how that works.

arcticmonkeysfan on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    NESN is a north american sports network over in the UK as well, and they will carry it. If you're staying with someone you can ask that they add that channel to their cable/satellite package while you're over there?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you'll need to find a friend/pub with the Setanta Sports subscription.

I have Setanta and it gives ne NASN which shows all the NHL stuff. It replays it at a decent hour as well if I recall. (Note 4pm games start at midnight, 7pm games start at 3am) so unless you want to stay up late, you better record them :)

Anyone with Sky satellite television can get a setanta subscription and it costs £10 a month.

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aridhol wrote: »
    But will OP be able to get that stream outside of Canada? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's blocked in other countries. Broadcast rights contracts have had regional restrictions as a standard clause since forever, it's going to be a while before those contracts get reworked to handle this newfangled internet thing. If CBC won't stream to the UK, it shouldn't take much searching to find someone else streaming the feed for them. :P

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aridhol wrote: »
    But will OP be able to get that stream outside of Canada? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's blocked in other countries. Broadcast rights contracts have had regional restrictions as a standard clause since forever, it's going to be a while before those contracts get reworked to handle this newfangled internet thing. If CBC won't stream to the UK, it shouldn't take much searching to find someone else streaming the feed for them. :P

I could probably use the old trick that gets around Hulu's regional locking.

None of my family have satelite. They just use the freeview or whatever its called.

I guess I'll be trying to log in to cbc.ca late tomorrow.

EskimoDave on
  • RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You can get setanta on freeview, by the by, but I doubt your family will be willing to take out a years subscription for you.

Also it's like 99% likely that cbc will be region blocked so I'm fairly certain you will have to do this illegally if you wish to do it.

Ritchmeister on
  • DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I second www.atdhe.net.

I haven't had cable as of midway through the second round and it's saved my life. Still suffering though, because my internet connection is crap at home and some of the feeds stutter.

Dibs on
  • DibsDibs Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, also myp2p.eu if you aren't a fan of atdhe

Dibs on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want to thank everyone who helped me out. I really appreciate it. Watching the opening ceremonies for the game.

EskimoDave on