As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obama's Cabinet, and Such

1535455565759»

• Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Here's something I just thought about hyphenated names:

Let's say I'm Mr. Able and I father a child with one Ms. Barnes. We name our kid Able-Barnes. Now, what happens with the kid's children? Do they also hyphenate, and if so, what? If Able-Barnes has a child with Cassidy, do we get Able-Barnes-Cassidy, or if it's Cassidy-Duncan as the other parent Able-Barnes-Cassidy-Duncan? This is a logistically awful situation, as with time the ability to write, record, and remember people's names will drop off with this practice. Hyphenated names seems like a recipie for disaster, as it means that a few generations of hyphenating results in John Able-Barnes-Cassidy-Duncan-Eisen-Franks-Garibaldi-Hoynes-Immemlam-Johansson-Kearns-Lebowitz-McNamara-Naison-Oppenheimer-Powers-Quine-Redford-Stevens-Thurgood-Uwilingiyimana-Valentine-Wallace-Xiaogang-Yarbrough-Zajączkowski.

I've met multiple people with up to eight surnames in Spain. They usually go by the first, maybe first two.

My brother and I just have our mom's last name as our middle names.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Let's say I'm Mr. Able and I father a child with one Ms. Barnes. We name our kid Able-Barnes. Now, what happens with the kid's children? Do they also hyphenate, and if so, what? If Able-Barnes has a child with Cassidy, do we get Able-Barnes-Cassidy, or if it's Cassidy-Duncan as the other parent Able-Barnes-Cassidy-Duncan? This is a logistically awful situation, as with time the ability to write, record, and remember people's names will drop off with this practice. Hyphenated names seems like a recipie for disaster, as it means that a few generations of hyphenating results in Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

Fixed.

I'm ashamed that I was the first to make that joke. For shame PA. For shame.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I looked at the wall of text and moved along.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DHS wrote: »

Let's say I'm Mr. Able and I father a child with one Ms. Barnes. We name our kid Able-Barnes. Now, what happens with the kid's children? Do they also hyphenate, and if so, what? If Able-Barnes has a child with Cassidy, do we get Able-Barnes-Cassidy, or if it's Cassidy-Duncan as the other parent Able-Barnes-Cassidy-Duncan? This is a logistically awful situation, as with time the ability to write, record, and remember people's names will drop off with this practice. Hyphenated names seems like a recipie for disaster, as it means that a few generations of hyphenating results in Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm

Fixed.

I'm ashamed that I was the first to make that joke. For shame PA. For shame.
    What joke are you making?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    A dumb one it seems.

Going back a few posts, it'd be great if they were lesbians. The right would go batshit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's freaking Monty Python...

You kids and your music...

DHS on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh. Must be one of the sketches I haven't seen.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Monty Python, you heathens.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Spoilered for NSFW bits at the end.

My final derailment.

Have we discuss the insanity of Rep. Joe Barton's question of Energy Secretary Chu, where oil comes from? Because that was pretty good. Trying to trip a Nobel Prize winner with elementary school level questions, what the hell is with the Texas Republic delegation, between this and Culberson's lack of high-school civics class understanding of the constitution, they are bring the Crazy.

DHS on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's not worth discussing.

What is OTOH is when he came here to speak at the two national labs, people were not reassured, since most of the work is on nuclear weapons. Of course, I could give a fuck what they think because I don't think nukes are cool and because I'm generally opposed to this state sucking on the teet of Uncle Sam and the state for so much of the economy that it barely has one when government (all levels) and agriculture are factored out. But Sandia is the city's economic base with most of the highest-paying jobs, so God forbid we lose those--even if to new people who work on energy and not bombs.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have we discuss the insanity of Rep. Joe Barton's question of Energy Secretary Chu, where oil comes from? Because that was pretty good. Trying to trip a Nobel Prize winner with elementary school level questions, what the hell is with the Texas Republic delegation, between this and Culberson's lack of high-school civics class understanding of the constitution, they are bring the Crazy.

Je...Jesus? It comes from Jesus, right? He buried big pools of it next to dinosaur bones 6,000 years ago to test our faith and power our Hummers.

moniker on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spoilered for NSFW bits at the end.

My final derailment.

Have we discuss the insanity of Rep. Joe Barton's question of Energy Secretary Chu, where oil comes from? Because that was pretty good. Trying to trip a Nobel Prize winner with elementary school level questions, what the hell is with the Texas Republic delegation, between this and Culberson's lack of high-school civics class understanding of the constitution, they are bring the Stupid.

So you are saying it comes from plate tectonics? What the hell does that mean? Jesus didn't talk about that and I don't see it in the bible anywhere.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can I say, having dealt with Louis Caldera on several occasions, how utterly unsurprised I am that he could take a do-nothing job like director of the White House Office of Military Affairs and totally fuck it up in as short a time as possible?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can I say, having dealt with Louis Caldera on several occasions, how utterly unsurprised I am that he could take a do-nothing job like director of the White House Office of Military Affairs and totally fuck it up in as short a time as possible?

He does seem to have brought a staggering amount of horrible to the position. I mean, really? What sane human being thought this was a good idea?

edit: Actually, relevant side question, what exactly does someone do to be qualified for the position? Do you have to be someone's cousin, or did he do something substantive I just don't know about?

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No one here knows anything. It came at us as a blind-side when he was appointed to the transition team.

He's undistinguished as a public figure. He's horrible as a politician (his public persona is that of an asocial aloof dick who needed a handler to remember people's names for him). He did the bare minimum required of him when he graduated West Point (biding his time before he could to to Harvard Law/Business School). And his leadership accomplishments are virtually nonexistant.

But he's buddies with Bill Richardson and he was pretty tight with the Clinton folks while he was serving in that administration. Given that, and his appointment to the transition team, I wasn't surprised he got a job in the White House--nor was I surprised it was of little importance. But to fuck up so badly so quickly is shocking even to me.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sebelius confirmed, finally.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Inez Moore Tenenbaum to be named the next chair of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Robert S. Adler also to join the CPSC.
    Consumer advocates said they expected the Obama administration to take a more activist role in product safety, and praised the selection of Ms. Tenenbaum. Ms. Tenenbaum ran for the Senate in 2004, and served two terms as South Carolina’s education chief. Mr. Adler, an Obama campaign adviser, served for several years as an adviserto the consumer commission.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    WashPo article on new cyber security Czar position.
    WASHINGTON — President Obama declared Friday that the country’s disparate efforts to “deter, prevent, detect and defend” against cyberattacks would now be run out of the White House, but he also promised that he would bar the federal government from regular monitoring of “private sector networks” and the Internet traffic that has become the backbone of American communications.

Mr. Obama’s speech, which was accompanied by the release of a long-awaited new government strategy, was an effort to balance the United States’ response to a rising security threat with concerns — echoing back to the debates on wiretapping without warrants in the Bush years — that the government would be regularly dipping into Internet traffic that knew no national boundaries.

One element of the strategy clearly differed from that established by the Bush administration in January 2008. Mr. Obama’s approach is described in a 38-page public document being distributed to the public and to companies that are most vulnerable to cyberattack; Mr. Bush’s strategy was entirely classified.

But Mr. Obama’s policy review was not specific about how he would turn many of the goals into practical realities, and he said nothing about resolving the running turf wars among the Pentagon, the National Security Agency, the Homeland Security Department and other agencies over the conduct of defensive and offensive cyberoperations.

The White House approach appears to place a new “cybersecurity coordinator” over all of those agencies. Mr. Obama did not name the coordinator Friday, but the policy review said that whoever the president selects would be “action officer” inside the White House during cyberattacks, whether they were launched on the United States by hackers or governments.

In an effort to silence critics who have complained that the official will not have sufficient status to cut through the maze of competing federal agencies, Mr. Obama said the new coordinator would have “regular access to me,” much like the coordinator for nuclear and conventional threats.

Many computer security executives had been hoping that Mr. Obama’s announcement would represent a turning point in the nation’s unsuccessful effort to turn back a growing cybercrime epidemic. On Friday, several said that while the president’s attention sounded promising, much would depend on whom he chose to fill the role.

James A. Lewis, a director at the Center for Strategic & International Studies, a Washington group that published a bipartisan report last year calling on the president to appoint a cyberczar, said that the White House had now narrowed the list of candidates for the position to fewer than 10, but that choosing the right person would be difficult.

“There aren’t a lot of people who have the policy and the strategy skills and the technological knowledge to carry this out,” Mr. Lewis said. “If you’re talking about missiles and space, there are a lot of people who know policy and technology, but in cyber its such a new field we’re talking about a really small gene pool.”

For the first time, Mr. Obama also spoke of his own brush with cyberattacks, in the presidential campaign. “Between August and October, hackers gained access to e-mails and a range of campaign files, from policy position papers to travel plans,” he said, describing events that were known, though sketchily, at the time.

“It was,” he said, “a powerful reminder: in this information age, one of your greatest strengths — in our case, our ability to communicate to a wide range of supporters through the Internet — could also be one of your greatest vulnerabilities.”

Mr. Obama’s speech delved into technology rarely discussed in the East Room of the White House. He referred to “spyware and malware and spoofing and phishing and botnets,” all different approaches to what he called “weapons of mass disruption.”

Although the president did not discuss details of the expanding role for the military in offensive and pre-emptive cyberoperations, senior officials said Friday that the Pentagon planned to create a new cybercommand to organize and train for digital war, and to oversee offensive and defensive operations.

A lingering disagreement has been how to coordinate that new command with the work of the National Security Agency, home to most of the government’s expertise on computer and network warfare. One plan now under discussion would put the same general in charge of both the new cybercommand and the N.S.A. Currently, the security agency’s director is Lt. Gen. Keith B. Alexander, who would be expected to be the leading contender for the new, dual position.

Industry executives were generally supportive of the initiative Mr. Obama announced, but also cautious.

“There was nothing I was disappointed in,” said Mark Gerencser, a cybersecurity executive at Booze Allen Hamilton, a consulting firm that deals extensively in the government’s cybersecurity strategy.

Mr. Hamilton noted that the United States had separated defense and offense in the cybersecurity arena, while its opponents, including Russia and China, had a more fluid strategy.

“It’s like we’re playing football and our adversaries are playing soccer,” he said.

Thom Shanker contributed reporting from Washington.

I really hope he picks someone with the technical background in this stuff and not some PHB.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I already made a new thread about this, seeing as the previous post was 23 days ago and the thread was on page 94 anyway.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Your post doesn't contain the words czar and I thought this would be the appropriate thread.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, since I have the complete text of the speech Obama gave as well as the youtube vid, I think it fair to say if Obama didn't use the word czar I shouldn't need to either.

Wow, fancy that: I didn't use the word cybersecurity either.

Both are stupid words.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    Bri wins by making a better thread and by not necroposting.

This should be locked, anywho.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.