As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[$avings On] MacUpdate Spring Bundle

KrisKris Registered User regular
MacUpdate has just released their newest bundle of mac software at a fraction of the price that it would normally cost. This time around, the bundle includes:

- TechTool Pro 5
- Parallels Desktop 4
- Notebook 3
- NetBarrier X5
- MoneyWell
- Paperless
- RipIt
- Multiplex
- DVDRemaster Pro 5
- Posterino
- BetterZip

Bonus Apps (first 15, 000 downloads):

- Jets'n'Guns Gold
- CuteClips

The retail value for all the software is $521.71, but the bundle is going for only $49.99.

You can check out the MacUpdate bundle website to watch an introductory video describing each piece of software.

Personally, I might jump at this just for Parallels 4, since that's half the cost it would normally be just for that app, plus I'd get all the others as a bonus. Although, the student discount on VMWare Fusion is $49.99 too, and I've heard from quite a few people who like it over Parallels. Might be time for me to do some research.

Kris on

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The two bonus apps are "Jets'n'Guns Gold" and "Cute Clips". Not that I'm sure what either of those are.

I can't decide if I wanna do this bundle. I already have VMWare Fusion, and I like it an awful lot but I've never really worked with Parallels. Especially not with a recent version. I already own MoneyWell, which I like and am eagerly awaiting the release of their iPhone app. Two of the apps have similar functionality (DVDRemaster Pro, RipIt).

Anyone have some experience with both VMWare and Parallels?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How long is this supposed to last? I get paid this weekend and even if I don't plan on using half this software, I'm a sucker for cheap as bundles.

*looks at macheist bundle*

Edit: 14 days 10 hours apparently.

Plenty of time to even get in on the 15,000 business.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only thing on the list that is almost appealing to me is Notebook, as I'm still looking for something to replace MS OneNote.

Ripit / DVD Master Pro would be ok, except Handbrake is free...

And I turned down Parallels during the Circuit City closing (it was $20 at that time) as Virtual Box is doing everything I need...

Damn I'm negative lately...

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I honestly can't decide whether to get this or not. It works out at about £31 which is super cheap, but I'm wondering how much I'll actually use the apps included; the fear of just getting stuff 'cos it's cheap and then realising I don't actually need any of them.

decisions are difficult :(

BobCesca on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    MoneyWell is a great app, and I'd say that's reason enough to buy the package, since that's what MW costs stand-alone.

Echo on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dunno, doesn't seem as good as the macheist bundle at first glance but I'm gonna look in on it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got paid some money I was owed, but bought some books instead. Looks like no bundle of cheap software for me.

BobCesca on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Kris on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The last MacHeist didn't really do it for me (too many graphics apps useless for Photoshop owners) but this is looking pretty nice. Moneywell plus Paperless are very nearly selling me on it, and certainly it can't hurt to have Parallels on hand.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kris wrote: »

I've used various versions of both products and while I personally prefer VMware Fusion, the two are pretty much equivalent. One or the other will gain an advantage (new feature, performance, etc) but then will be leapfrogged by the other within short order.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm close to purchasing one of the new MacBooks (white refresh with free ipod), but I'm waiting until WWDC for any info on Snow Leopard or other updates to their lines. I'm interested in this mainly for Parallels, I'd be running Boot Camp, but it appears I can load that same Windows installation from within OSX when I don't need the full hardware strength of rebooting to the Windows side. There are quite a few other useful things here, so I'm keeping my eye on this.

As a sidenote, maximumzero, we were in a TF2 game the other day, and if I recall you game on your mac. What version of Windows do you have through Boot Camp? Does Apple provide regular drivers, or would it be best to get drivers from the manufacturer (like Nvidia)? Which Mac do you have, is it comparable to the latest whiteBook, and how do the games run? Thanks for any info, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't find a whole lot of useful info on this stuff. My last mac was an iBook before they went to Intel.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited May 2009
    RBach wrote: »

I've used various versions of both products and while I personally prefer VMware Fusion, the two are pretty much equivalent. One or the other will gain an advantage (new feature, performance, etc) but then will be leapfrogged by the other within short order.

I've used both, though I haven't used VMWare outside of the trial.

The gist of it, for me and hearing from others is that Parallels is faster. Or at least, it FEELS faster, snappier.

VMWare isn't slow, however, but it shoots for quality over speed.

That being said I find that Parallels is easier to use.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited May 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I'm close to purchasing one of the new MacBooks (white refresh with free ipod), but I'm waiting until WWDC for any info on Snow Leopard or other updates to their lines. I'm interested in this mainly for Parallels, I'd be running Boot Camp, but it appears I can load that same Windows installation from within OSX when I don't need the full hardware strength of rebooting to the Windows side. There are quite a few other useful things here, so I'm keeping my eye on this.

As a sidenote, maximumzero, we were in a TF2 game the other day, and if I recall you game on your mac. What version of Windows do you have through Boot Camp? Does Apple provide regular drivers, or would it be best to get drivers from the manufacturer (like Nvidia)? Which Mac do you have, is it comparable to the latest whiteBook, and how do the games run? Thanks for any info, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I can't find a whole lot of useful info on this stuff. My last mac was an iBook before they went to Intel.

Unfortunately my computer isn't gonna be comparable to any of the Macbooks, and most of the Macbook Pros for that matter.

Anywho, here's the answers to your questions in order:

-I currently use the Release Candidate of Windows 7. I came from the Beta, and I used Windows XP before that.

-Apple provides drivers for Boot Camp, they'll be on the OS disks that come with the computer. There will be a "Boot Camp Driver Package" on the DVD you run while booted into windows which installs all your drivers from top to bottom.

HOWEVER, the only drivers I find you need from said DVD is the Boot Camp control panel, which allows your volume keys on your keyboard to work in addition to allowing you to reboot into OS X via an icon in the taskbar. All of the other drivers, from bluetooth, wi-fi, to graphics, are all either bundled in with Windows or will pop up in Windows update. In my personal experience everything was found natively with the exception of Sound and Graphics. Graphics was taken care of by running Windows Update and sound was taken care of by downloading the driver from the Realtek website (Though the Boot Camp install would have taken care of this as well)

-I'm running the "previous" model of top-end iMac. 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 1TB HDD, 512MB Nvidia 8800GTS. It plays Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 at 1920x1200 with all the shineys on perfectly. I couldn't be happier. (Though, of course, when the new iMac came out not long ago, I got new computer envy, but there was no way I would have used the G4 I had for another 9 months while I waited for the "new" iMac to come out.)

So having such a beefy card makes an opinion about the macbooks difficult. Unfortunately you'll be on your own there.

For the record, Crossover games runs pretty darn well. If I don't mind playing in Direct X mode, I can start up TF2 right in OS X and retain all the performance. The only issues I've run into thus far is the occasional humorous misplaced texture (Like the spy's face being mapped onto his gun) and my 4th and 5th mouse buttons not working.

Ask away if you're got any more questions, or better yet feel free to IM me.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

So did you find, while using Fusion, that it felt like a higher quality product, but you preferred the "snappyness" of Parallels over it? I mean, like RBach said, Fusion and Parallels will probably just keep 1-uping the other in terms of features. I guess I'm just looking for which of the two is usually the most stable, consistently well-performing of the two. I can stand to lose a couple features if it means far less headaches down the road.
    I'm interested in this mainly for Parallels, I'd be running Boot Camp, but it appears I can load that same Windows installation from within OSX when I don't need the full hardware strength of rebooting to the Windows side.

While they do tout that feature pretty highly, apparently it's usually not worth the trouble. I've heard that if you first create your bootcamp partition and activate windows and other software (such as MSOffice), when you first load that partition under Parallels or Fusion, it forces you to reactivate windows and those programs (through the phone, cause it rejects internet activiation). Now, this is purely anecdotal from reading other forums, but it appeared more than once, so there might be some merit to it. Although, maybe that sort of thing has been remedied. If anyone here has recently tried this, with good results, I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong. :D

I've created bootcamp partitions using XP, Vista, and Windows 7, and haven't had too much trouble with drivers. Apple officially provides drivers for XP and Vista on your OS X install disc. Some of them are out of date (such as the graphics and audio drivers), but they are still usable, and I have been able to play TF2 no problem with the apple-provided drivers. Windows 7 isn't officially supported (obviously), but most of the vista drivers work, and you can google around for instructions on getting any others you may need.

Edit: Beated! *shakes fist at maximumzero*

Kris on
    edited May 2009

So did you find, while using Fusion, that it felt like a higher quality product, but you preferred the "snappyness" of Parallels over it? I mean, like RBach said, Fusion and Parallels will probably just keep 1-uping the other in terms of features. I guess I'm just looking for which of the two is usually the most stable, consistently well-performing of the two. I can stand to lose a couple features if it means far less headaches down the road.
    I'm interested in this mainly for Parallels, I'd be running Boot Camp, but it appears I can load that same Windows installation from within OSX when I don't need the full hardware strength of rebooting to the Windows side.

While they do tout that feature pretty highly, apparently it's usually not worth the trouble. I've heard that if you first create your bootcamp partition and activate windows and other software (such as MSOffice), when you first load that partition under Parallels or Fusion, it forces you to reactivate windows and those programs (through the phone, cause it rejects internet activiation). Now, this is purely anecdotal from reading other forums, but it appeared more than once, so there might be some merit to it. Although, maybe that sort of thing has been remedied. If anyone here has recently tried this, with good results, I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong. :D

I've created bootcamp partitions using XP, Vista, and Windows 7, and haven't had too much trouble with drivers. Apple officially provides drivers for XP and Vista on your OS X install disc. Some of them are out of date (such as the graphics and audio drivers), but they are still usable, and I have been able to play TF2 no problem with the apple-provided drivers. Windows 7 isn't officially supported (obviously), but most of the vista drivers work, and you can google around for instructions on getting any others you may need.

I don't use Parallels for anything other than the occasional windows-only web browse or downloading stuff for Steam in the background while in OS X.

I'm not running any sort of graphics or database software in Parallels, so in this case VMWare's better "quality" (Which probably even isn't the right word) doesn't matter.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited May 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    MoneyWell is a great app, and I'd say that's reason enough to buy the package, since that's what MW costs stand-alone.

So I downloaded the demo, hooked it up to my bank, downloaded the last 90 days' worth of transactions, and just went to town organizing things.

The elegance and power of this app can only be described as fiscally badass.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Parallels to me feels snappier than VMWare. However, I had more minor annoyances with Parallels such as the mouse cursor not showing up on a black background in a text editor. VMWare also did a better job of running more strenuous things smoothly, such as games. On the other hand, VMWare is a total ram hog. It uses the 512MB I give it for Boot Camp along with several hundred MB extra, which means switching between VMWare and OS X in my 2 GB of RAM causes a lot of paging. VMWare Tools, when installed into Boot Camp, significantly increase Windows XP's startup time as well, which is really annoying. I can't remember how Parallels faired in that respect because my trial ran out.

Bottom line is both are very useable, Parallels feels a little snappier and seems to have a few more features, VMWare feels a little more accurate. Also VMWare's UI is more Mac-like and cocoa-ish, if that matters. I probably would have bought Parallels over VMWare, but then VMWare sent me a 50% off coupon, and when all I really need is some virtualization rather than the best, the huge price difference sealed the deal.

LoneIgadzra on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MoneyWell sounds like Mint.com, is one better than the other, and is the former worth money considering the latter is free?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I don't use Parallels for anything other than the occasional windows-only web browse or downloading stuff for Steam in the background while in OS X.

I'm not running any sort of graphics or database software in Parallels, so in this case VMWare's better "quality" (Which probably even isn't the right word) doesn't matter.

Fusion is miles better than Parallels, from my experience Parallels .0 releases are atrociously bad and their support is horrendously bad.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited May 2009
    MoneyWell sounds like Mint.com, is one better than the other, and is the former worth money considering the latter is free?

Would you rather do all your finances on a site whose business model is based on advertising to you and may or may not in the future profile your financial data to make its ad placements more attractive to advertisers, or would you rather just pay once for a desktop app?

I mean, some folks are cool with that. But I'd prefer the app.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Fusion is miles better than Parallels, from my experience Parallels .0 releases are atrociously bad and their support is horrendously bad.

Does your experience with Parallels .0 releases extend to 4.0 though? 4.0 seems really good to me. I just bought the bundle and have been playing with it, and the whole thing really feels a lot snappier than VMWare. The coherence mode in particular is a lot faster and more useful than the Fusion equivalent. On the other hand, there are some visual glitches with the WPF GUI editor in Visual Studio, so that's not good.

LoneIgadzra on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Does your experience with Parallels .0 releases extend to 4.0 though? 4.0 seems really good to me. I just bought the bundle and have been playing with it, and the whole thing really feels a lot snappier than VMWare. The coherence mode in particular is a lot faster and more useful than the Fusion equivalent. On the other hand, there are some visual glitches with the WPF GUI editor in Visual Studio, so that's not good.

I gave up on Parallels after the fiasco of 3.0, is the support forum still a bad joke?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.