As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Gluten Free @ PAX

DrakkenDrakken Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in PAX Archive
Ive had celiac disease all of my life, and have never observed any of the traditional dietary restrictions that go along with it; but now as I am getting older (27) it is starting to take its toll on my health. So, within the last year (since the last PAX) I have gone gluten free (which means I am no longer able to eat anything with wheat, or anything else containing gluten).

Since going GF I pretty much prepare all meals at home, take a lunch to work, etc. Going out to eat, or attending get-togethers with friends, has been difficult -- as it is hard to know what exactly is contained in a dish, or if it has been cross contaminated during preparation. So, as you can probably guess, the thought of traveling from Milwaukee to Seattle for a few days has me pretty stressed out from a I-need-to-eat-to-live perspective. This is compounded by the fact that I never eaten very well while attending PAX previously (even without the dietary restrictions) -- since there was so much to do and see.

I was just wondering if there were any other celiacs that have attended PAX in the past that could give me any tips; or, if there is anyone that lives in the Seattle area that could suggest some restaurants serving GF items. (the closer to the convention center the better)

Thanks! :)

Drakken on

• Options
    The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I found a website for you. I can't say that I share the affliction, but I certainly understand what you're going through. Hopefully this helps! :)

http://www.glutenfreeceliacweb.com/2007/07/27/wheatless-and-gluten-free-restaurants-in-seattle/

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think VThornheart's wife has the same ailment? Definitely the wife of someone who posts here regularly does, I remember seeing it mentioned last year. Perhaps he'll stumble by and help you, this must have come up for them last year.

EDIT: forum search says I'm right. He's been less active on the forums lately thanks to new job, maybe PM him?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ah, hi! Indeed, my wife has Celiac Disease! My wife hasn't come to PAX yet, so I haven't actually done much research on gluten free restaurants in the immediate area... however, there are some good sushi places around, and if you get Sashimi you're generally safe (they usually don't use anything that may have been wheat contaminated, such as soy sauce-based products, on Sashimi from what I understand).

Ooh, just found two gluten free pizza places in the area:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/julianos-seattle#hrid:S4BwWxSXgnU8W3CUDwsBjw/src:search/query:gluten%20free

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zaw-artisan-pizza-seattle#hrid:M4InssqeqEwzx2dOLhLoHA/src:search/query:gluten%20free

And then there's always "Impromptu", the posh restaurant made famous by the "Gluten Free Girl" (Her husband no longer works there, but apparently his successors have been trained in how to make sure everything is safely gluten free):

http://www.impromptuwinebar.com/

The other big suggestion would be the one made to me last year (when I thought my wife was coming with me), which was to get a room at a place like the Extended Stay hotels that has a kitchenette. Then you wouldn't have to worry, and could make your own food!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That sucks. I don't know much about this personally, but my Aunt has a problem that effects here in a similar way. She is highly allergic to corn, and almost everything these days has some form of corn in it (corn syrup for example), even foods you wouldn't think had corn in them actually do. Anyway, she usually has to bring her own foods with her, or order things plain in a restaurant (like plain chicken breast with maybe some lemon and mild seasoning).

I feel for ya, and wish I had some advice.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jimmy Johns unwiches are awesome. Thanda, who's got celiac, swears by them. He's also been to 2 PAXes and hasn't died yet, so I'll get try to get him to post when he calls me back later today.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I never knew Thanda had Celiac! Small world! We'll have to look up these "unwiches" =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ZankaboZankabo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I cook in a hospital, and therefor have become very well aware of what is in dishes. Gluten Free diets are becoming more and more common.

Big thing is to ask when you go places if they have wheat free options. Most places do, or at least can help you in choosing something that will be safe for ya. At least, the nicer places will.

Also, isn't an unwich one that you use leaves of lettuce in place of the bread? (and don't use heavily processed meat, just in case).

There are also several different gluten-free breads you can buy now days, if you have a desire to have a quick lunch handy.

I also just got off work, so dietary crap is filling my brain.. time to take a nap me thinks!

Zankabo on
    Better a witty fool than to have a foolish wit....
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I never knew Thanda had Celiac! Small world! We'll have to look up these "unwiches" =)
    Yeah, Thanda's celiac is the reason we stop at the JJs in Fargo. We still stop there, even though he hasn't been on the CCST since 07.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Yeah, Thanda's celiac is the reason we stop at the JJs in Fargo. We still stop there, even though he hasn't been on the CCST since 07.

We stop there because it's a great place to stop. And it's by the booze barn.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I haven't seen it mentioned, but I know that P.F. Chang's has gluten-free options. I just don't know if there is a location in Seattle.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm absolutely certain there is a PF Chang's in Seattle, at least there was 2 years ago.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh, cool! (And indeed, PF Chang's is awesome in that it's pretty much the only place you'll ever find chinese food that's gluten free =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There are PF Chang's and JJ's locations throughout the Seattle/Bellevue area. I don't have any dietary restrictions but I will also, full-heartedly vouch for the deliciousness of JJ's entire menu.

If you are looking for something extremely convenient to PAX, Subway now has the option of turning any sandwich into a salad. They give you more lettuce and a bowl instead of bread. The "sandwich artists" change gloves between every sandwich (or they should) so you can keep an eye on any wheatybits sneaking in. Taco Del Mar also has a long list of gluten-free items, and they have a location on the first floor of the WSCTC. The menu is on their website (handy if you're at BYOC) and they probably have a hard copy that you can request there.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    DrakkenDrakken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the responses! Ive been doing a lot of looking on my own, too, but it is always nice to see what others are doing.

Thank you so much for all of the links/ideas. Im going to try a few of them out around here (JJ, Subway, PF Changs) so that when it is time for PAX I have it all figured out and can focus on having fun. :)

Thank you!

Drakken on
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks like I'm late to the party.
    Oh well, that's what I get...

I'll start off by just letting you know that I've been living relatively gluten free for the last four years or so, so I understand your worry and pains.

Indeed, the three suggestions listed: JJ, subway, and PF Changs are all fantastic. Although I warn you, it depends on the severity of your reaction. JJ and subway do NOT take steps to ensure purity of the food, and you're bound to get some cross-contamination. I can't speak to PF Chang on that issue, because they do their food prep behind closed doors.

It IS worth noting that there is also a whole foods that is about 10 minutes away by foot from the WSCTC, and they usually have a fair amount of gluten-free alternatives.

For myself, I

generally LIVE off of the subway salads, but that's because my reaction is usually low enough that I can risk the cross contamination. (Although now that I know the whole foods is there, I may take a few side-trips!)

Lastly, more and more restaurants are becoming aware of gluten intolerance. I've been able to eat in a lot of places that I didn't think I would be able to, and it just involves asking at the door if the kitchen is familiar with it.

Anyways, there's my spiel. Hope to see you at PAX Drakken!

P.S. The cookie brigade last year had caramels, which I believe were gluten free, so you don't even have to miss out on that!

edit:
    P.P.S: Oh, and unless anything's changed, the JJ's in Seattle close stupidly early. Like, 6pm. God I hope that's changed....

P.P.P.S
    Liger wrote: »
    If you are looking for something extremely convenient to PAX, Subway now has the option of turning any sandwich into a salad. They give you more lettuce and a bowl instead of bread.
    They also charge you something like $1.50 MORE for doing this. Which sucks.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They must be notified. Which reminds me, I have to call that one in Fargo this summer sometime.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, last year the cookie brigade had caramels, and I'm also planning on making gluten free (and possibly vegan) cookies this year as well. I will be very careful to avoid all cross-contamination from wheat :)

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Aye, Annigaricus brought some GF cookies last year... sadly, they fell apart, but they DID create that unique concoction that is now known as "Cookie Shots" (which, after the initial eyebrow raise, became surprisingly popular =) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I raised an eyebrow, then accepted the offer of a cookie shot. I was not disappointed. It was DELICIOUS.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    SecComSecCom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You just combined two of my favorite words - cookies and shots - to make something that sounds magical

SecCom on
    Lead Editor of http://fullnovazero.com We like to write about video games.
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, neat. Hey, join the club. Man, eating gluten free is easy, I'll put together some tips for the Seattle area later.

Quethal on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I get a really fucking bad gluten reaction, my boyfriend a less really fucking bad reaction, but still notable. Cheesecake Factory has gluten free meals and gluten free cheesecake. Its also across the street. Whole Foods is amazing if you want to stock up on groceries and make your own food. It's cheaper than restaurants and the options are near limitless.

Things to remember: You can order "no bread" for any burger/sandwich and voila! It's instantly gluten free. Add a side of fries if you feel deprived, and you're in business.

Don't be shy to ask what's in the food. Gluten free clam chowder can be had, and some places are willing and able to fry your oysters in cornmeal instead of flour.

Mexican food is like 99.999% corn based. Get some taquitos.

Eating out is an adventure as a celiac, but it's easy once you know what you're doing.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What she said.

Also, depending on your reaction, watch out for fries. 1) Some places throw a little flour or bread crumbs on them (ass hats, right?). 2) Some people worry about whether they're fried in the same oil as breaded things; it doesn't bother me, though, so you need to get to know yourself to find your comfort zone.

I've been gluten free for 13 years and, let me tell you, it is awesome.

Quethal on
  • Options
    ColureColure Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I recently have gone gluten-free and lactose-free, as I am both lactose and gluten intolerant. This will be my first trip to PAX/Seattle attempting GF - last year I was a vegetarian, but pretty much ate whatever (so long as it wasn't meat)! So I'm with you on this slight concern for eating GF while there...

My current plan of action is to bring along lots of GF snacks in my backpack, so that while at the con, I'll have quick (and free!) access to GF safe food. Since, as mentioned by a previous poster, there is a Whole Foods within walking distance to the con, I'll probably skip bringing food from home (since I'd have to pack everything in my carry on luggage, and I'll be pressed enough for space as it is) and opt to instead stock up on GF foods at the Whole Foods after I get to Seattle :D

Otherwise, keep in mind that as far as restaurants go, there are plenty of foods that are GF friendly - corn, potatoes, rice, vegetables, fresh fish and other meats without sauces or marinades. Depending on what your reaction is (mine is an intolerance, so I just suffer some pretty bad stomach aches, etc) you can probably get by ordering straight up (if you're smart about it) without asking for a GF menu (some places don't even know what gluten is!! It's kind of frustrating sometimes), or if wherever you go doesn't have a GF menu.

I also find that it can't hurt to ask - if you aren't sure while dining out if something has wheat in it or not, ask the waiter, and if they don't know, they'll likely bring out either their manager or the chef. It can be a bit of a hassle, and somewhat embarrassing if you're in a large group, but it can be worth it, too. :D

Good luck!!

Colure on
This discussion has been closed.