As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

pg2

yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hello! I've had the account for a while and have been lurking the forums for years, but finally decided to start posting. So, here's some of my stuff..Any criticisms are appreciated, I'd really like to hear what you all think!
560x409.jpeg
283x420.jpeg315x420.jpeg196x420.jpeg294x420.jpeg200x420.jpeg336x420.jpeg386x420.jpeg294x420.jpeg236x420.jpeg

yogurt on

• Options
    sketchy17sketchy17 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yogurt,

You have a good eye for color and I really dig the wolf monster (although the composition is little flat). Also like the Y-the last man knock-offs.

The female nude needs a little work. I understand the need for curves but they're a little exaggerated and the anatomy is way off.

Like the postings. Keep 'em coming.

sketchy17 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thank you! I agree the composition is pretty flat in that piece and my anatomy is pretty far off on the female nude. Didnt know what you meant by Y the last man until I googled it and found a picture of what i'm assuming is the main character chained up and wearing a gasmask. Havent read the comic but I must admit my gas mask obsession began with Psycho Mantis way back when I first played metal gear in middle school. Havent stopped drawing gas masks since.. Here's a picture I made after hearing about the swine flu..

294x420.jpeg

The gas mask character designs where for a story involving gorilla zombies..

382x420.jpeg

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I also dabble in a more graphic style for those into that sorta thing..
    312x373.jpeg306x420.jpeg325x420.jpeg420x420.jpeg

yogurt on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I get a really flat feeling on a lot of these Specifically the jungle lady, and the wolf thingy, and the soldier person wielding a ridiculously large hammer thats about his size. I think it may have to do with how you use color and shade variation in it

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    342x420.jpeg
    Morning sketch before cleaning house and moving out of PA :(

Yeah... I have a problem with flatness for some reason, I'm pretty sure it has to do with mostly the drawing itself, still cant shake the problem of flatness in my drawings... and I try to push lights and darks in my paintings but for some reason it always comes out flat looking... Anyone have any advice?

yogurt on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The issue is most likely the shadows specifically, I generally see Light hitting and Shadow, I don't see a core shadow, Reflective light, and only sometimes I see a highlight, because of this its also taken into the environment and seems to cause a general flatness. There are a lot of people here who have made veryyyy nice and far expanding terrains which include highlights and shadows along with general simplyfying of objects as they get farther rather then "detail to middle to nothing". Such as tim's snowy mountain picture.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    420x420.jpeg

I like this one a lot.

336x420.jpeg

This one has some issues with perspective. The river and the bridge over it are tilted too far towards the viewer and the dudes on either side seem to be the wrong size. Also, what is the bridge supposed to lead to? It heads right into solid rock on the far side.

Food on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh I am definitely into that sorta vegetable.
    Your colors is really nice, particularly with the energy of that wolf piece. This is very nice stuff overall but I agree about the flatness comments.

lyrium on
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    gorilla zombies..

:^:

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Big update on the way... but until then heres something quick i did last night..

378x420.jpeg

misosoup- glad you like gorilla zombies, me and a friend are in the process of making a comic..

EDIT: Before I go any further with posting Illustrations i was wondering if anyone had any advice on graphic design.

The past few days I've made a few banners and logos for people, and i was wondering what others thought of them:

Banners and Logos for JackalopeTea.etsy.com:

412x420.jpeg

297x420.jpeg

203x201.jpeg

Banners for Tuner-Deals.com:

560x282.jpeg

I dont feel too comfortable with my "Graphic Design", considering I majored in Illustration in school. I do feel like I'm on the right track, I just need some more advice, maybe a book recommendation to look into or a website?

Thanks for looking!

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Something I need to finish up in the next few days:

560x360.jpeg

Any last crits before i bring it to final??

yogurt on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cant tell what those things are behind the log.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    they're unrendered rabbits

Edit: rabbits are hiding underneath the log, the predators and random woodland 'rodent' like creatures, not supposed to be anything

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's not really working is it..........could just be a value issue, but it's definately lacking depth. I'd try lightening the bunny area a bit more. Also the way that trunk is bending is fucking up the perspective, maybe try extending that out.

If you'll forgive me a really horrible quick paintover to give you an idea. Sorry I've only got a mouse here so I can't be too fancy.
    560x360.png

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're doing a lot of stuff right, but I don't think you've got your style down yet. That's probably more about time/practice/experimenting/experiencing as much art as you can.

That's all I can say I think?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Decided to go with
    560x360.jpeg
    Didnt really see much of a problem with the log, nature bends in weird ways and i liked how it looked compositionally

Also made a new shirt design from a study
    500x420.jpeg

The part of the study I liked
    534x420.jpeg

Another shirt design
    560x247.jpeg

and a woodland bagpiper concept i'm working on
    218x420.jpeg

and just a random sketch, came out looking like me
    292x420.jpeg

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The throwing up tentacles pic is tops for me! nice.

PS you may want to NSFW some of these, nice as they are we don't want people getting in trouble at work!

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    800x592.jpeg

Just something I made today for a little practice, colored over sketches I did at the zoo.

yogurt on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    IN that last pic, it seems like something is off about her quad/buttocks area. It looks too big, but I could be wrong. Do you have a reference?

worstcase on
  • Options
    GirlPantsGirlPants Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really like the style and color of you art. It really inspires me to start working with color more! Can I ask what you drew the badger drawing with. (assuming it's a badger) Was it drawn digitally or with traditional media?

GirlPants on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    417x420.jpeg

worstcase: yeah thats one big ass.. i'm still in the process of working with that picture, need to change the size of her feet as well (too small, i think)

kevincop130: thanks, i think haha

girlpants: thanks dude, everything here was done digitally

yogurt on
  • Options
    Lia ParkerLia Parker __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    That pic is nice and good, Thanks.

Lia Parker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    recent work in progress:

267x420.jpeg

Why didnt anyone tell me earlier you could sample all layers with smudge tool in PS :( I've been hoping back and forth from painter to use the clone brushes before this...

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    277x420.jpeg

I'll be done with this after one more sitting

also touching up and reworkin this old jungle girl picture

336x420.jpeg

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    281x420.jpeg

adding on to the list of things i need to complete, I started this fake Noir pin-up poster to show a potential client that I can work with the Noir style. Used photo ref for the figure up front (hey thats me!). Too beat to finish it tonight, but plan on having one more sitting with it tomorrow. Any thing popping out as weird to anyone? Or any advice in general on composition or color?

yogurt on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It seems a bit well lit to be noir-style, but I also don't claim to know much about these things...

Also the font used for the text on the bottom seems like an odd choice. Otherwise everything looks pretty impressively rendered.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    800x1142.jpeg

Okay, feeling pretty happy about the finish. I agree with the font before, it was just a place holder, though I'm still not too satisfied with it. I tried darkening it up, but instead of looking Noir it just looks like of like kind of grindhouse-ish, which I'm fine with. Anyway, I've started writing a comic based off the image, more on that soon..

yogurt on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yogurt wrote: »
    recent work in progress:

267x420.jpeg

Why didnt anyone tell me earlier you could sample all layers with smudge tool in PS :( I've been hoping back and forth from painter to use the clone brushes before this...

Reminds me of the work of Derek Riggs (though you're probably familiar with his work)
    Awesome stuff mate!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Haha he does look like Eddie! Thanks I'm glad you like my stuff!

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    749x1132.jpeg

Done looking at this image, time to move on to some studies.. hope you like it! or hate it, as long as it provokes something

455x420.jpeg

40 min speed study from a Sargent painting

yogurt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Been up to a lot, experimenting with graphic design, drawing character concepts based on Neil Gaimens Neverwhere, and even painting with real paint (gasp). Seems like I havent finished anything lately.. but here are a few things I can show

800x1250.jpeg

BabyBear

800x800.jpeg

CD cover for 3:33

yogurt on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cool design, I really quite like that.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm loving pretty well much everything in this thread, bear lady is fucking crazy.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I liked the burning zombie before you added all the special brushes n stuff...

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    214x420.jpeg
    244x420.jpeg

Some stuff I pulled from my sketchbook and spent a hot minute throwing colors on while having a little fun with comic tones.

Thanks Mustang and earthwormadam, I really appreciate it! BTW adam, I took a look at your graffiti post the other day and was wondering if you use Illustrator to get such crisp outlines, or are they just really clean marker/ink lineart? And if you say photoshop I'm going to have to ask HOW?!

I dont know maximus, I'm pretty happy with the fire. Though I see how some of the crispness of the original got lost in the final product, something I'm going to have to go back and fix. You cant burn a zombie with out fire.

yogurt on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh man your work looks so fun especially since it seems your expierimenting all the time. GOOD. SO GOOD.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!