As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Recommend On] Dreamcast Games?

THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny.Real shiny.Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
So I got four free Dreamcasts at work thanks to my good friend at work.

He just doesn't have games. What are some awesome games for it?

Lets get the Sonic stuff out of the way because I hated SA, and Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 is too pricey.

Soul Calibur would be cool to try.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
THEPAIN73 on

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you like fighters, the following are essential:

-Rival Schools: Project Justice (3d)
    -Capcom VS SNK
    -Last Blade 2: Heart of the Samurai
    -Garou/Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
    -King Of Fighters Dreammatch '99

There's lots of quirky unique titles, such as

-Shenmue (open world simulation)
    -Space Channel 5 (rhythm)
    -Maken X (first person slasher)
    -Illbleed (most twisted survival horror game ever)
    -Gunbird 2 (shmup)
    -Bangai-O (arena shmup)
    -Jet Grind Radio

And for RPGs, there's Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Most of the DC's top-tier games had ports and sequels on other platforms. I'd be hard-pressed to think of a lot of good exclusives for it. But as far as general recommends are concerned:

Bangai-O - 2D free-scrolling shooter with so much focus on wanton destruction that even the DC slows to a crawl trying to keep up with it.
    Chu Chu Rocket - I think this might be coming to XBLA/PSN with online play in the future. Can't remember for sure.
    Ikaruga - If you can't get it for XBLA or GCN.
    Jet Set Radio / Jet Grind Radio - Some people prefer this to its sequel. Not familiar enough with either to know why.
    Rez - One of few games that is very much style over substance but enjoyable anyway. Get it for XBLA if you can.
    San Francisco RUSH 2049 - The best entry in one of my favorite arcade racer series. I'm pretty sure this is also on a Midway compilation for another platform.
    Shenmue 1+2 - These are terrible games by most objective measures, but I love them anyway.
    Soul Calibur - I think the XBLA re-release cut out a lot of extras that were in the DC version, but I can't remember for sure.
    Typing of the Dead - An absolute MUST if you can score a DC keyboard. One of the most hilarious games ever.
    Virtual On Oratorio Tangram - 3D fighting game with robots. Get the XBLA version if you can for the online play.

Other games I never really tried but generally have positive reputations: Power Stone 1/2, Cosmic Smash, Samba de Amigo, Seaman, Crazy Taxi, F355 Challenge, Grandia 2, Space Channel 5, Sega Rally 2, and some Capcom & SNK 2D fighters.

Some people will probably recommend Skies of Arcadia, but I couldn't stand the battle system in that game and the whole thing felt like more work than fun. I didn't mind it at all when a disc scratch prevented me from progressing any further.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so um .... you need all four of them (hint hint)

also, puyo puyo 4 is awesome if you can find it.

and Crazy Taxi!

Xaquin on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A lot of Dreamcast games have since been ported, it's not the overwhelming avalanche of awesome it was back in the day. My must haves are Jet Set Radio (puts to shame the sequel), Shenmue 1+2 (WTB #3! :() and Bangaio (Treasure at their best).

Moioink on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g5LFYlWpkE&fmt=18]A video of the final boss + multiple endings for Typing of the Dead.[/vidurl] Seriously awesome.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll recommend Seventh Cross Evolution. The game is terrible ... but strange and unlike anything else I've played. The only game that's similar is E.V.O. on the SNES.

I thought Record of Lodoss War was pretty good too. It's a Diablo clone that kept me busy for a while back in the day.

Most other games have already been mentioned.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jet Set (Grind) Radio and Shenmue (1 and 2) are my two favorite games of all time, so I'd like to strongly recommend them.

I'll assume you're familiar with the basic concept of Jet Set Radio? Skate around, graffiti stuff, awesome graphics and music. I prefer the original to the sequel (Jet Set Radio Future [JSRF]), because the original features a more rewarding difficulty curve. It ramps up at a good pace without ever being overwhelming. And there's still challenge to be found after beating it repeatedly. Also, the controls are simple (analog stick + triggers + A button) and easy to learn. The music is very Japanese, in case that's not to your liking?

I love Shenmue a lot, and that's an understatement. My affection for this game is bordering on unhealthy. That said, it's not for everyone. It tries to recreate real life in a way that few games try to do, going to great lengths to add even the tedious parts of the real world to the game world. Also, the actual meat of the gameplay is centered on a 3D beat-em-up combat engine mixed with QTE. So, in order to enjoy this game, you need to have the patience of an RPG fan and with the reaction speed of an action/fighter fan. Also, fondness for classic Sega games and arcade titles will definitely make your free time in the game a blast.

Also, if you're going to be playing with friends, I'd like to mention that Power Stone 2 and Chu Chu Rockets are two of the best party games I've ever played ever.

Rex Dart on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One thing about Typing of the Dead, no matter how fast or slow you type(95 WPM here), it adjusts difficulty based on your typing speed.

By the final boss, I was typing out medical journals.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BarkeepBarkeep Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Of the few Dreamcast games I have, I'd really recommend Skies of Arcadia. Despite a few annoying quirks (mainly the random encounters and being stuck with a party member who's useless for most of the game), it's quite innovative for a JRPG. A battle system that's fun and useful, a fun-loving story that's cheesy as hell, and ship battles where you get to impale the enemy ships with a bigass harpoon. What's not to love about that?

Barkeep on
  • ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd totally pay you for one of them. Mine doesn't work. :(

Zeguna on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Skies of Arcadia would be better to get on the GameCube though.

Elemental Gimmick Gear (E.G.G.) was a pretty fun Zelda-ish game.

Also, Tech Romancer. 3-D giant robot fighting game from Capcom. So awesome.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Skies of Arcadia would be better to get on the GameCube though.

The music is badly compressed but I guess you wouldn't notice it if you haven't played the Dreamcast original.
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I'll assume you're familiar with the basic concept of Jet Set Radio? Skate around, graffiti stuff, awesome graphics and music. I prefer the original to the sequel (Jet Set Radio Future [JSRF]), because the original features a more rewarding difficulty curve. It ramps up at a good pace without ever being overwhelming. And there's still challenge to be found after beating it repeatedly. Also, the controls are simple (analog stick + triggers + A button) and easy to learn. The music is very Japanese, in case that's not to your liking?

What bugged me about JSRF was that instead of being chased by the police (which was a nice bit of tension especially as the camera swung round to show them approaching you whilst you did your tags) and their chief you just got boxed into an arena at certain points which just meant charging into them over and over. Lame gameplay mechanic. Holding down R to spray instead of doing elaborate analogue stick patterns wasn't as fun either but I guess it made sense given that you didn't have the police on your back. The music wasn't as good and neither was Professor K's dialogue.

Still a good game but a letdown all the same.

Moioink on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

desc on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Rex Dart wrote: »

What bugged me about JSRF was that instead of being chased by the police (which was a nice bit of tension especially as the camera swung round to show them approaching you whilst you did your tags) and their chief you just got boxed into an arena at certain points which just meant charging into them over and over. Lame gameplay mechanic. Holding down R to spray instead of doing elaborate analogue stick patterns wasn't as fun either but I guess it made sense given that you didn't have the police on your back. The music wasn't as good and neither was Professor K's dialogue.

Still a good game but a letdown all the same.
    I agree with you. The original is superior in almost every way.

But at the same time, I came to appreciate the fact that Sega tried to do something different with the sequel. Each game feels unique and offers its own kind of fun. I find myself replaying both games every year or so.

Rex Dart on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Surprised no one has mentioned Toy Commander yet.

Zenitram on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The best games have been mentioned already, so I'll say to pick up a VGA box on ebay and use that to hook it up to an HDTV if that's an option.

Oh, and Resident Evil 2 & 3. With the VGA box, they'll look much better than the PSX versions.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aside fromt the common games mentioned, look for Cannon Spike if you are looking for an excellent action game or Record of Lodoss War for a very good dungeon crawl.

chamberlain on
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't have a Dreamcast, but I am going to get one and here's my own list so far:

Airforce Delta: I love Ace Combat and this games seems pretty similar.

Samba de Amigo: Don't get the Wii one. Those are motion based, while the DC ones are height based.

Toy Commander: You play as freakin' toys!!! How can you not be excited? My personal killer app.

Also try going back to older PA comics. Gabe loved that thing.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It is a sign that you are hearing these games so much:

Shenmue I & II
    Jet set radio
    (2 of my favourite ever games)

And also:
    Powerstone I & II
    Rez - i only played this after hearing about the HD version but I don't have a 360. Enjoyed it a lot on DC though
    Skies of Arcadia
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Bunch of Crazy Taxi games
    Some toy army game I forgot the name of (edit: - it is Toy Commander - just read it from above poster)

Vomit spoiler:
    I miss the dreamcast :(

Mangaroo on
  • servbotservbot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Marvel vs Capcom 2

...and Rez

servbot on