As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TBK - Halo thread XXVIII: You're reading this when you should be playing Grifball.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's just like why Nintendo will more than likely never make a Zelda game during the time after Ocarina of Time when Ganondorf attacked Hyrule, causing the goddesses to flood the land; we already know that Link and Zelda's descendants lost that battle, which is why Wind Waker's world is a giant sea. You would be fighting a losing battle that would already be known to be a lost cause. It's why Twilight Princess was set between the end of OoT and when Hyrule was flooded.

Kor's point is the same; a Halo prequel, like Wars, in which you play as the humans doesn't really give you a sense of accomplishment due to the humans being severely outmatched.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Have you played well hell the titles a spoiler so
    COD4.
    Because even though it doesn't end with the nuke scene, it could have. And I would havegone away content.
    I mean it might just be me, but heroes live short violent lives. It’s what immortalises them. And it’s (arguably) one of the greatest acts of – not patriotism – but sacrifice. You’re giving up everything to protect those you love and what you believe in. Even something as thunderously stupid as the Charge of the Light brigade lights a little fire in you that makes you think fuck yeah. Despite realising its sheer ridiculousness.

You would have payed 60 bucks for around 5 missions?

No I cannot share your content.

But yeah I'd much rather see the sort of open warfare concept outside of Halo Wars, where you got a shitton of marines but oh hey we're the covenant and have so many grunts

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    I imagine that the people who know that Reach is doomed are only a fraction of the Halo audience.

I'm sure you're right. Doesn't mean the ending would be any better or worse.

I think that revelation that oh fuck, we've lost would be really powerful to those who didn't know it was coming.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I imagine that the people who know that Reach is doomed are only a fraction of the Halo audience.

I'm sure you're right. Doesn't mean the ending would be any better or worse.

I think that revelation that oh fuck, we've lost would be really powerful to those who didn't know it was coming.

Yeah, and then they'd probably be pissed that whatever badass hero they were playing didn't actually do shit.

Something along the lines of, "well why the fuck did I just spend the last 2 hours trying to beat this damn level when my dude is just going to die anyway?"

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmm, I'm hoping that Dead Space Extraction doesn't end up like that since it's a prequel. I mean, there were some random defenseless people still alive on the Ishimura, so a guy that actually has weapons better damn well live.

I finally preordered Red Faction, though at GameStop since Best Buy requires you to have some stupid membership card to get the preorder bonus. Screw that, I'd rather get free bonuses.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Given it was a gift, probably.

Anyway Kor, do you feel the same about all media? Because damn near every Shakespeare play ends with the protagonist dead, or irrevocably screwed. That doesn’t mean they weren’t worth reading.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hmm, I'm hoping that Dead Space Extraction doesn't end up like that since it's a prequel. I mean, there were some random defenseless people still alive on the Ishimura, so a guy that actually has weapons better damn well live.

I finally preordered Red Faction, though at GameStop since Best Buy requires you to have some stupid membership card to get the preorder bonus. Screw that, I'd rather get free bonuses.

If anything, I hope they intersect. It'd be kinda cool to be someone else creeping around while Isaac was, never meeting. It feels to me, after the first two chapters, that you arrive pretty much just as it starts to get really bad.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Given it was a gift, probably.

Anyway Kor, do you feel the same about all media? Because damn near every Shakespeare play ends with the protagonist dead, or irrevocably screwed. That doesn’t mean they weren’t worth reading.

No, because reading the last chapter of a book isn't any harder than reading the first chapter, and doesn't require me repeating areas/fights over and over again in hopes of finishing it.

That, and when I read a book, I'm reading a story about a character. When I play a game, I AM that character. It's a different type of attachment.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Isnt Dead Space Extraction just a bunch of colonists on Aegis though?

also anyone up for games? I was thinking about booting up gears or something after finishing mass effect

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'll be on in about an hour, after taking TeaParty to work.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That, and when I read a book, I'm reading a story about a character. When I play a game, I AM that character. It's a different type of attachment.

Which is why what happens to the character is so much more powerful than when you're reading about someone. Just because the majority of people won't like it doesn't mean it's not worth doing.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, Extraction is set on the colony, which supposedly got wiped out much faster than the Ishimura (I think it took 2-3 days for the ship to fall).

With books and movies, you don't necessarily know the protagonists are going to end up screwed no matter what they do. Look at A Song of Ice and Fire. But in certain games, you do know that; Extraction's crew is more than likely going to die one by one because they're on the colony, Zack from Crisis Core: FF7 was known to die despite you being a complete badass by the game's end, and so on.

And boo for working during a movie premiere and for having to work until close to 2AM tonight. No way I'm gonna be up for games tonight, I'll be too tired.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    And I disagree. It's as simple as that, really.

Edit: @ Beeb. Ahh, and here comes the other problem when you try to work in a prequal that has a very solid story that follows it. Do you stay as true to the original material as possible? Or do you rewrite it to be "better"?

I mean, the way Crisis Core ends, compared to what happened to Zack in VII is completely different. In VII Zack gets killed by a measly 3 grunts that shoot him. In Crisis Core:
    You fight an endless fight. The grunts just keep coming and coming, until you finally die. Its like an endurance mode.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well if its bungie thats making this alleged Reach game, I doubt they'd be able to pull off anything like CoD4

I mean I would love an end where you're fighting off everyone in first person and then you see them start glassing the planet in the distance and an elite knocks you down and impales you with a sword, but I know it'll probably be "AND SO OUR HERO ESCAPED REACH WITH HIS NEW BUDDY DR.GRUNTSWORTH BUT WERE LOST IN A PORTAL ON THE WAY HOME"

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Talking of heroism and last stands, you know who you can't rely upon to stick by you to the end when you're beset by zombies?

Yorker.

This might make a good topic. Someone less lazy than me go make it.

Leitner on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Talking of heroism and last stands, you know who you can't rely upon to stick by you to the end when you're beset by zombies?

Yorker.

This might make a good topic. Someone less lazy than me go make it.

I'm sorry, man, i fell down that hole behind where we were holding out, you know the place.

It was an accident, i swear.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You fuckers, I need to steal an Xbox and play some games or something. I wonder if the Uni Xboxes have a network connection, or if they even have Halo 3 to borrow.

I'll have to look into that tomorrow.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, they have it to borrow. I'll have to dig out a long enough ethernet cable to plug into the port in that room - and that's assuming that their network will allow me a Live connection - but I may well be playing Living Dead tomorrow. Without a headset, though.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well if its bungie thats making this alleged Reach game, I doubt they'd be able to pull off anything like CoD4

I mean I would love an end where you're fighting off everyone in first person and then you see them start glassing the planet in the distance and an elite knocks you down and impales you with a sword, but I know it'll probably be "AND SO OUR HERO ESCAPED REACH WITH HIS NEW BUDDY DR.GRUNTSWORTH BUT WERE LOST IN A PORTAL ON THE WAY HOME"

Does Bungie have some track record of shitty endings I don't know about?

I mean, Halo 1 ended just fine. Halo 2, I get that people were pissed, but I blame Microsoft, not Bungie. I was pretty content with Halo 3's ending, as well.

I admit, I haven't played marathon. Was it shit or something?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah screw it, can I have permission to use your quotes as the basis for my thread Willeth/Kor?

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Actually, shit, no, I won't be able to play, because I won't have access to any of the maps. Ah wells.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sure, I guess.

I'm guessing its a D&D thread?

edit: Let the record show, though, that I don't hate any and all prequels. I just think developers seem to have a harder time making it work.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nah G&T, seems more the place for it.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ah screw it, can I have permission to use your quotes as the basis for my thread Willeth/Kor?
    Sure, go ahead and quote me. Didn't realise you were serious.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So ah... isn't there a whole book dedicated to the Fall of Reach? You know.. one that has groups of spartans taking on huge numbers of covies.
    (Book spoilers maybe)
    Reach is destroyed, but don't these spartans live?

Edit: I guess what I'm thinking of happened during the book Halo: First Strike. It also happened on Reach, and would make a pretty sweet game.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I'm just throwing the various quotes together, but I think G&T really doesn't have enough non-game/system is pretty cool eh guys? It might spark some interesting discussion.

Leitner on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vast majority die in the initial assault. They were defending the Orbital Defense Generators (stations powering the MAC's orbiting Reach).

In First Strike, the survivors of Reach (Kelly, Linda, Fred, Grace, John, etc.) sabotage the refit and refueling station, the Unyielding Hierophant. Haverson and Whitcomb then lure most of the some 500 ship contingent destined to Earth closer to the Hierophant before it blows.

On Reach, Joshua and several other Spartans jack some banshees and throw some nukes into an encampment set up around a low-flying Covenant cruiser. It's the only reason they survived the assault on the ODG's.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, but the other ones go on to have awesome adventures in caves, and aboard covie spaceships. It even ends with a ship's self destruct sequence and a giant explosion.

That's right. Self destruct sequence, race to escape, giant explosion. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I made a post listing how every piece of Halo canon fiction has something nuclear exploding.

The First Strike survivors and Joshua's cruiser-sabotaging-team are both part of that cave excursion group. Except that Covenant spaceship rampage; that was John and Johnson immediately following Installation 04's destruction. He would later meet and pick up the surviving Spartans from Reach. (Dr. Halsey too).

I'm pretty sure Fred, Kelly and Linda are Spartan Jesus'. They've survived everything at this point.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is it always nuclear? I thought it was always involving some really big ships core blowing up.

Kor on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it always nuclear? I thought it was always involving some really big ships core blowing up.

In the future everything is nuclear.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sorry degami I was driving for another 10 hours today. I'm pretty tired lol, I might be on later though, depends if I can stay awake

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I mean, Halo 1 ended just fine. Halo 2, I get that people were pissed, but I blame Microsoft, not Bungie. I was pretty content with Halo 3's ending, as well.

I just sort of thought that halo 1-3 didnt really have any touching moments like other games on the market. At most small parts of 3 trying to be different like johnson and Keyes dying and the memorial scene, but wait whoops we found out that chief is alive he's just frozen again!

If they would take a hint from other writers I think it could do fine, but in my opinion I think bungie tries to keep their games campy so they can avoid super-serious stuff like they do in CoD4 or Mass Effect or pretty much every shooter on the market

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also going out for a movie and expecting HEY DIBS! Later on

LookFreeGrenade on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Also going out for a movie and expecting HEY DIBS! Later on

Up?

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Up was so good.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Up was so good.

This man knows what's what.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I just sort of thought that halo 1-3 didnt really have any touching moments like other games on the market. At most small parts of 3 trying to be different like johnson and Keyes dying and the memorial scene, but wait whoops we found out that chief is alive he's just frozen again!

If they would take a hint from other writers I think it could do fine, but in my opinion I think bungie tries to keep their games campy so they can avoid super-serious stuff like they do in CoD4 or Mass Effect or pretty much every shooter on the market

Am I the only one that thought Halo 2 had a perfectly reasonable ending, taken that it fell into the typical trope of "Yes, there will be a third game, and that'll wrap everything up!"

Then again, it's been ages since I've played it. I've been going through the games, starting from one, on my 360. Something I've wanted to do for a while. Could be that trope is bad enough as it is.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Halo 3: ODST showing up at Amazon for a retail price of...you guessed it, $59.99!

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    Satellite MindSatellite Mind __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Is anyone up for RFG demo? I'm hopping on now.

Satellite Mind on