As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unofficially Official... PSP is a Go!

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Anyway, the coolest part of the announcement is that they're not erasing the other PSPs with UMDs. This is just a different model. This just gives developers another location to sell games (online), and it means they may get a bigger cut of profits because of it.

So I have to buy two PSPs if I want to play the older games AND the new games? See, I've already got a pretty good amount of UMD games from various clearances but I haven't got a PSP yet. Is there any way to get these on a PSP Go?

As far as we know, no. Custom firmware will obviously not be on this thing as soon as it's released and who knows what kind of compatibility issues it will have. You're better off buying an older generation PSP and getting a pretty big stick for those downloadable games. If you get a good enough deal it'll probably cost about the same as a new PSP Go.

freakish light on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the design of it, and hopefully we'll hear this week from hand's on how the analog stick placement feels. In the pic, it looks like his thumb is a cramped when pressing on the d-pad, so hopefully it feels a bit natural when using the nub.

More importantly, did I see Warhawk on that video? Maybe it's starhawk?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyway, the coolest part of the announcement is that they're not erasing the other PSPs with UMDs. This is just a different model. This just gives developers another location to sell games (online), and it means they may get a bigger cut of profits because of it.

So I have to buy two PSPs if I want to play the older games AND the new games? See, I've already got a pretty good amount of UMD games from various clearances but I haven't got a PSP yet. Is there any way to get these on a PSP Go?

No, you can just buy the old PSP and get a large memory stick. They sell 8GB and 16GB Pro Duo sticks now, if I'm not mistaken, and it should give you exactly the same functionality as the memory on this new PSP (assuming that all of this is indeed true).

Alternatively, people have been speculating that there's going to be some kind of USB-drive or some other kind of method that will allow you to take your UMDs and convert them/trade them in for digital versions of the same game. I'd wait until Sony's official unveiling before grabbing the torches and storming the castle.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Did they make the screen smaller?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

No, if you want to play older UMD games and new digital download games, just buy a PSP 1000,2000, or 3000. They'll be keeping the 3000 on the market. It can still download all the games that come out as digital download just like the Go will.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Did they make the screen smaller?

Half an inch, yeah.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smaller screen, no UMD, awkward button placement and a generally ugly design.

A winner is Sony.

freakish light on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So there's really no practical reason anyone needs to buy a PSP Go unless they like handcramps.... Lovely.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh man. The screen is SMALLER? No thanks!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Honestly are you guys on drugs or do you have the hands of a 3 year old? I have no idea how this is going to be more uncomfortable than the placement now. The analog placement now is freaking horrible, and this looks like a godsend.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Just get a PSP 2000 and put custom firmware on it. You can access the PSN store from the current PSPs, they are not being cut off from digital distribution.

Wait, if these new online-only PSP games are going to be available on older PSPs, what the hell is the point of the PSP Go?

Other than offering a lot of memory out of the box and some bluetooth features, I don't think there is a point.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Old = Handcramps
    ouchz.jpg

New = Yay!
    yayf.jpg

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's like watching those infomercials where people don't know how you use a pair of scissors.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Maybe if you hold it all crammed up in your hand, but if you move your hand off with just your fingertip on the L button, the analog stick is in a playable place.

I mean, maybe it's a minor point, but it (for me) wouldn't justify another entire handheld console purchase, just for that. And removing UMDs. And a smaller screen.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just get a PSP 2000 and put custom firmware on it. You can access the PSN store from the current PSPs, they are not being cut off from digital distribution.

Wait, if these new online-only PSP games are going to be available on older PSPs, what the hell is the point of the PSP Go?

Other than offering a lot of memory out of the box and some bluetooth features, I don't think there is a point.

I think they're going after the whole multimedia device..again. It's the same market as Zune HD or Ipod Touch.

I dunno, depending on battery life, and overall size I could see myself using this to listen music and what not.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Old = Handcramps

New = Yay!

A little exaggerated there but yeah, the original PSP really isn't a comfortable system to hold for more than 20 minutes by any means.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think it looks pretty uncomfortable, but I guess I can't really tell until I use one:

clipboard02a.jpg

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Actually the d-pad and buttons might be improved. Although the ones in the current model might actually be fine and the problem is I bought mine as a used 1000 so the buttons are kind of worn out.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Forgive my ignorance, as I've been out of the PSP loop ever since I sold mine years ago, but is the speaker looking thing next to the D-pad the analog stick? Hard to tell...I don't know why Sony did'nt put dual sticks there, move the Start/Select, which most games don't use that often anywho up above, and put the other analog right there. Can't think why not...

As for the shape...Eh. It looks smaller, which is a good thing, as my biggest problem with the PSP as compared to the DS, was that I could stick the DS in my pocket no problem, but the PSP was huge. I do applaud the move away from UMD, as that'll improve battery life, I'd bet exponentially. We'll have to wait and see...I don't own a PS3 or a PSP, but i really think that a game that used both, like how you can (I think) use a DS with Wii Ghostbusters as your Ecto-meter, would be really fun, if done right.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, as I've been out of the PSP loop ever since I sold mine years ago, but is the speaker looking thing next to the D-pad the analog stick? Hard to tell...I don't know why Sony did'nt put dual sticks there, move the Start/Select, which most games don't use that often anywho up above, and put the other analog right there. Can't think why not...

As for the shape...Eh. It looks smaller, which is a good thing, as my biggest problem with the PSP as compared to the DS, was that I could stick the DS in my pocket no problem, but the PSP was huge. I do applaud the move away from UMD, as that'll improve battery life, I'd bet exponentially. We'll have to wait and see...I don't own a PS3 or a PSP, but i really think that a game that used both, like how you can (I think) use a DS with Wii Ghostbusters as your Ecto-meter, would be really fun, if done right.

No dual sticks is because this isn't meant to be a PSP2, more like an alternative. Like the DSi, or the Ipod Touch to the regular Ipods.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Dragon6860 wrote: »

No dual sticks is because this isn't meant to be a PSP2, more like an alternative. Like the DSi, or the Ipod Touch to the regular Ipods.

And putting dual sticks on it would be a dumb idea in the first place. It'd just encourage more shitty console ports and 3D shooters, which just don't work that well on handhelds. I actually hope the PSP2 ditches analog sticks entirely and just goes with a dpad and touch screen, though I suppose that'd kill any possibility of backwards compatibility.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I should really get back into portable gaming. I don't even have a DS anymore :(

I've never been a big fan of the psp though, namely due to the thing's size. It's portable, sure, but only barely :P. Though in the PSP's defense, I do keep a lot of random shit in my pockets. This redesign doesn't look that bad (even if it is a little ugly), but I'm going to have to echo everyone and say clamshell is really the way to go. Maybe they didn't want to look like they were imitating the DS on a design standpoint? And honestly, I don't really think the majority of people will give two shits that the screen is on the outside. So far, I see the pros and cons being

+ smaller
    + permanent library of games downloaded to its memory

- smaller screen (?)
    - more expensive (?)
    - screen is still on the outside
    - kind of fugly

does that sound about right?

Guek on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Having split ways with my 2000 about a year and a half ago (I only ever bought Tactics, beat that in a month, then let it sit there for a year before selling it), I think I might give this a try depending on how much space a full PSP game would take. If it has 16 GB of memory, I would think the games would take quite a chunk of memory. Hopefully we find out more on Tuesday.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Honestly I think I'm digging it so far. The 'slider' aesthetic is a love it or hate it thing, my phone is that way so it doesn't bother me and frankly I think it makes sense in terms of keeping the controls and finger smudges off the screen.

Having said that though, I wish they'd add the second analog stick in there. That was always my biggest complaint with the PSP and I was hoping to see them fix that with a design revision. Guess I'll be waiting until the PSP2 for that one.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Having split ways with my 2000 about a year and a half ago (I only ever bought Tactics, beat that in a month, then let it sit there for a year before selling it), I think I might give this a try depending on how much space a full PSP game would take. If it has 16 GB of memory, I would think the games would take quite a chunk of memory. Hopefully we find out more on Tuesday.

From my experience with downloaded games, somewhere between 500mb-1.5gb each.

freakish light on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That really, really does look stupid. I hate those sliding type phones, so I imagine it'll be the same here. It also seems like it would have made more sense for the screen to be protected when you aren't using it.

Graviija on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the look...but there's no real reason for it?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, but those are usually Arcade games, which aren't really as long as some of the full retail titles. I mean, Uno is a much simpler game than FF Tactics, so there's not really a clear comparison.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Guek wrote: »
    + smaller

- smaller screen (?)
    - more expensive (?)
    - kind of fugly

It sounds about right, yeah. You can put games onto the memory stick on the PSP now though.
    The smaller screen though. Whyyyy?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There's already shots of the box for it, which makes me wonders how soon it'll release. Doesn't Apple release their products week after their announcement? I wonder if Sny will go for that, strike while the iron is hot kind of thing.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    + smaller

- smaller screen (?)
    - more expensive (?)
    - kind of fugly

It sounds about right, yeah. You can put games onto the memory stick on the PSP now though.

Sony taking tips from Nintendo, but taking it a bit too far. :P

And yeah, the 'box shots' for it say it's 16gb as well. Wonder if that'd be built in or a large proDuo or whatnot. It still doesn't make sense to me. I guess it's like...if Nintendo had revealed the GBA Micro but said it didn't have a GBA slot at all and was download only.

Legacy on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    + smaller

- smaller screen (?)
    - more expensive (?)
    - kind of fugly

Sony taking tips from Nintendo, but taking it a bit too far. :P

And yeah, the 'box shots' for it say it's 16gb as well. Wonder if that'd be built in or a large proDuo or whatnot. It still doesn't make sense to me. I guess it's like...if Nintendo had revealed the GBA Micro but said it didn't have a GBA slot at all and was download only.

I have to give Sony credit for trying to push the market forward, but recently it seems like they're largely been doing it at the expense of their customers.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    I have to give Sony credit for trying to push the market forward, but recently it seems like they're largely been doing it at the expense of their customers.

True. It is better to try and do things a little more progressively than doing it just because they(seemingly) can.

If this was the "PSP2" and not PSPLite, I'd be fine with it trying out new things. But you don't bring a new revision of something out and not have it do the most basic functions of the original. Like play actual games that you've already bought. At least the DSi has a DS slot still. They can decide to throw games up on the DSi store if they want to, but I can still go and buy an actual copy of a game.

And I didn't even notice the screen until now. Couldn't have figured a way to protect the screen?

Edit: Wonder what GS/EB think of this...no physical copies of games, so no used business, right...?
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Remember the DS reveal, guys. That looked totally different than the DS ended up being.

Yes, but this has supposed retail boxes already. When the DS was revealed, it was still mostly concept. Just kinda had something decent to show of the concept. This looks done.

Legacy on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh man..i was slowly putting money aside for this one. Damn what an aesthetic disappointment thus far...

To those down on the current PSP's d-pad/nub this is your friend.

You can get from EBgames as well:
    http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=40666

I haven't had my original analog nub on for months, I could never go back after playing with these awesome replacements.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, but those are usually Arcade games, which aren't really as long as some of the full retail titles. I mean, Uno is a much simpler game than FF Tactics, so there's not really a clear comparison.

His response to your question was badly worded as far as "downloaded games" goes. With custom firmware you can rip your UMD to an ISO on your memory stick so you don't have to play with the UMD (longer battery life and not having to carry around your UMD collection ftw!) and the average size is about 500-1.5GB. That's uncompressed though so who knows if the Sony versions will be compressed as you can get an app to compress your ISO into a smaller CSO file.

BladeX on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The unfortunate thing is, this design isn't really that far from actually looking good. It just needs a few details that should totally have been possible within the engineering specs.

And so, I offer this shop from Reverend Dr Galactus The Wannabe Industrial Designer:

Before:

press-sony-psp-go-3.jpg

After:

go-one-better.jpg

It's really nothing more than reconsidering the bevels around the LCD bezel and the positioning/style of the speaker grates.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wonder if Sony just repurposed the mold they used for the Mylo and tweaked it a bit.

Personally, I thought this was the better design, except for the R1/L1 placement:

zlp1sg.jpg

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is they made this the new PSP, i would be on line ASAP. Bleh, im pissed about the new redesign.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I kind of like the one ekim posted (but maybe it's just the Monster Hunter on the screen), but again, those redesigns have the same problem the real ones does: exposed screen. Maybe the DS (and GBA SP I suppose) has spoiled me in that respect.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mr_ekim wrote: »
    I wonder if Sony just repurposed the mold they used for the Mylo and tweaked it a bit.

Personally, I thought this was the better design, except for the R1/L1 placement:

.jpg
    Absolutely agreed. I would have loved to see this design personally.

Halfmex on