As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAoC] Play (on - again?)

eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Hey!

Dark Age of Camelot!!!

Who still plays?

I want to play!

14 day free trial on their website!

Make with the pvp!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
eatmosushi on

• Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, I never could get into DAoC.
    I tried various classes... and none just seemed to grab me.
    Mind you, this was back when they made it so pets could not be summoned in major cities.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If anyone DOES still play... Is there any reason to play DAoC and not Warhammer Online? I mean... is there still a vibrant, thriving community to make up for the antiquated engine and graphics?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I tried it a bit last summer, Mordred (the pvp server) was a ghost town. This is mainly due to a stupid design decision they put in while I was gone where you could only get Rp's from the same person once per 24 hours.

I did a bit of the ToA raids which are now significantly less of a pain in the ass, and while it was fun for nostalgia purposes I couldn't see paying 15/mo for it.

Supposedly the one 1 mainly populated cluster has some decent RvR going, but I hear there is a decent amount of Cross realming (playing multiple realms), so you would get into situations where you take a keep as Midgard then go take it back as Hibernia, kind of lame.

I actually wish I didn't check it out again as it kind of soured the memories, rose tinted as they were, of the game and Mordred in its heyday.

I never got into War cause it really just felt like Daoc2: now with Greenskins.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would have gladly tried DaoC, if it'd let me try their game without asking for my credit card information.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    If anyone DOES still play... Is there any reason to play DAoC and not Warhammer Online? I mean... is there still a vibrant, thriving community to make up for the antiquated engine and graphics?

Honestly, the engine has aged like a fine wine. It really has. First off the game runs like a champ. The graphics don't have huge resolutions but they are very very pretty on their own right and on my PC that gets 30fps(Plus or minus 20) in WAR, I get an unbreakable 60 in DAoC.

The game play is different though. It really is. While in WAR your characters have more feeling of weight and colisions come into play, DAoC is just bigger and on a grander scale. The keeps in DAoC are about as big as Fortresses in WAR, if not bigger and it makes for some really epic fights that still happen here and there.

I have a level 12 Minotaur Warden on Hib Lancelot.

Terrible music aside, this is a prime example of Open Field RvR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkl_fAjmLmA&feature=related

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I played DAoC back in the day. That's part of what got me excited for WAR. However, WAR seriously suffers right now from lack of players in everything but the final tier battlefields. I can only imagine what a last-gen MMO has in terms of low level players.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am so tempted to do this. But then I remember how much it sucks, and I'd only do it if there was like, 20 or so other people playing for the RvR. And only if we go on a classic realm. And probably only then if it has classic frontiers (which isn't out yet).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yea the last time I tried it one of the main turn offs was new frontiers, mainly because I don't know them as well as the old frontiers. I still can do a mental run through of emain/yggdra etc in my head.. thats kind of sad.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Emain Macha was the place to be.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't want to know how many hours I spent sitting at AMG with ~100 hibs on 1 side ~100 albs on the other. Waiting for someone to charge, taking pot shots with my unspecced void bolt (light eld 4 life), and then the mids would come from behind and kill everyone, including my framerate, with 200 people.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was a necromancer, and there was a trick that you used to be able to do with having your pet still out of range of the rangers and whathaveyou and power tap (I think that's what it was called) the bejesus out of animists (sure did hate those shroom lovers).

bowen on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    NOOO You can't make me start another account!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    I was a necromancer, and there was a trick that you used to be able to do with having your pet still out of range of the rangers and whathaveyou and power tap (I think that's what it was called) the bejesus out of animists (sure did hate those shroom lovers).

I played a Necro too. I kicked some serious ass and had my character decked out in all sorts of awesome toys. It was especially fun to pop off Dreamsphere so that our entire team was a bunch of panthers and whats that, this huge troll with a 2h is trying to cut me in half, oh thats right, you can't, you are hitting a ghost. Suckah!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, well I was a kobold shadowblade. I was a shadowzerker, and I got my balls nerfed off.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My roomate at the time played a Elf Nightshade, he hated laxe/doublefrost with a passion. It was a bit ridiculous, however they took waaay to long in that game to unnerf classes back to usability.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I used to have a scout before Mythic fucked the shit out of them with the "hunter" remix thing. I still love how they get longbows though.

bowen on
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hated bainshees so much before mythic finally made it so that they couldn't attack through walls.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah, I wasn't really impressed wtih the way bow user's worked after they got "fixed" , it just seemed like they got turned into casters with a bow. I'm a big fan of valkaries though, they were a ton of fun.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ohh Dark Age of Camelot, how I loved you so. It was my first MMO (not counting 10six, because three people know what that is and it's super far out there) and still has a special place in my heart. I've considered resubscribing this summer to give it yet another whirl, but we'll see how that goes.

As for the ghost town non-classic servers, that seems to have completely reversed. It looks like they clustered a whole bunch of the regular servers and right now the cluster has ~2500 people in it. That's more than enough for a healthy RvR experience, given that the high pop servers a couple months after launch normally had around 2000 on them. I hear they fiiinally fixed most of ToA's bullshittery, and that all of the artifacts and master levels are easy to get through RvR now-a-days.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DAoC my first true mmo. I still have rose colored glasses for it. But I also remember how much I hate leveling in the game to get to the awesome that is RvR. I had a Paladin(2H for life!) and a Mace Blademaster. Was an awesome game, with a good community when I use to play it. I just can't survive it's pve anymore after playing WoW.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    *Reach RvR cap*

*Painfully grind 10 levels so you aren't a scrub in the next RvR zone*

*Reach RvR cap*

*Repeat*

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    *Reach RvR cap*

*Reach RvR cap*

*Repeat*

Are you talking about grinding battlegrounds? Because yes, it's way way more effective to grind 1 RP a kill at level 24 in Thidranki than to get one kill in a group at 50 and get hundreds. You can at least skip to the level 35-39 or 40-44 battlegrounds to do it if you're that concerned about being gimped.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fiatil wrote: »
    *Reach RvR cap*

*Reach RvR cap*

*Repeat*

Are you talking about grinding battlegrounds? Because yes, it's way way more effective to grind 1 RP a kill at level 24 in Thidranki than to get one kill in a group at 50 and get hundreds. You can at least skip to the level 35-39 or 40-44 battlegrounds to do it if you're that concerned about being gimped.

If you start playing again, lemme know.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    did anyone else care about the pve

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    tsplitter wrote: »

Nope! That's why Trials of Atlantis killed the game you know. I thought a lot of the new zones and things were neat myself, but adding expansive high end raid content to a PvP centric MMO was a pretty dumb idea.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Nope! That's why Trials of Atlantis killed the game you know. I thought a lot of the new zones and things were neat myself, but adding expansive high end raid content to a PvP centric MMO was a pretty dumb idea.

That wasn't the problem. People just abused it and went on all these raids and content that was originally intended to take over a year to accomplish. They just blew through it and people felt like they had to do the same thing in order to compete.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I loved it. There were plenty of epic, epic, epic dungeons that I will probably never visit or see again. :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

That wasn't the problem. People just abused it and went on all these raids and content that was originally intended to take over a year to accomplish. They just blew through it and people felt like they had to do the same thing in order to compete.

Well yeah, exactly. Adding in high end raid content of course came with the high end items, which meant to be competitive in RvR you were forced to participate in the high end PvE content that not a whole lot of people wanted to do. It was a bad idea in a PvP-centric game.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Well yeah, exactly. Adding in high end raid content of course came with the high end items, which meant to be competitive in RvR you were forced to participate in the high end PvE content that not a whole lot of people wanted to do. It was a bad idea in a PvP-centric game.

Before ToA though, there was very little PvE gear that actually mattered. Okay you do some pain in the ass quests and get your Master armor but it wasn't that hard and soon everyone got theirs... It just wasn't that good to have no real depth to gear. Not saying ToA uber gear was the way to go, but it sure beats everyone having the same items.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What's interesting is because of that lack of diversity you got for the most part a pretty decent pvp balanced based on either numbers(Alb zerg!), skill(woo good fight) or suprise(Mids from behind...mez). That and thei is a good reason that nothing in DAoC should have been heavily based on PvE. The PvE other than the occasional dragon raid was pretty boring. It's wasn't EQ grinding but it didn't move away from it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

mythic should have just nerfed the damn items. Random stat gear in stygia was sometimes comparable to mainland raid drops, which was just plain dumb.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Before ToA though, there was very little PvE gear that actually mattered. Okay you do some pain in the ass quests and get your Master armor but it wasn't that hard and soon everyone got theirs... It just wasn't that good to have no real depth to gear. Not saying ToA uber gear was the way to go, but it sure beats everyone having the same items.

Well despite looking super nifty, Master Armor was pretty much completely outclassed by a full set of 99 or 100 quality armor once spellcrafting and alchemy finally rolled around. That full suit of course cost a complete assload, which left Master Armor with its place.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Heh, I remember when you used to be able to spellcraft cloaks.

My guild master still had his.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hopefully that means he will never have an incentive to steal someone's Cloudsong.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Hopefully that means he will never have an incentive to steal someone's Cloudsong.

My GM was always a douche. He would always make a big deal about raids for an artifact for his characters or his wife's but when I asked for one 20 man raid to be tacked on before an ML raid, nooo, fuck that noise.

I mean, damn, we did Eriny's charm for his wife. That was like a 70 man raid back in the day. Thankfully when Mythic made it so that you can buy scrolls and artifacts with Bounty Points, I was able to get the artifact for myself since I got credit for doing the artifact way back when. ;D

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I haven't played since they made ToA not suck, or at least if they had I was playing on the classic server. I'm probably going to wait to see what they're doing with character transfers here in the next few days and resubscribe, because no other MMO is keeping my attention at all right now, and damnit I need something to waste time with during the summer. Here's hoping for the best!

And back to the topic I think this thread may have been dealing with, I'd definitely be down for starting a PA guild on the Devon cluster (or whichever is the most populated after they allow their mysterio upcoming character transfers) if there's enough interest. I think there are plenty of us grizzled veterans around to make it fun for the new and old alike.

I know for a fact that leveling was super easy the last time I played, and it looks like Trials of Atlantis is finally approachable and works. All of that with a server that right now has 2700 people on it, it's the perfect time to get on board!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thinkt he last time we had a game on we were on the gareth server, not sure wich cluster this invovled but i know we were playing Midgard.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited June 2009
    how do i figure out which cluster/server/whatever to find some action on?

and i am starting this shit tmrw night.

i am dark age of camelotting all up ins.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://www.camelotherald.com/news/index.php

Check on the right side. The Devon cluster seems to be really bustling.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    We playin this. We playin this tonight.

Devon Cluster

we'll be the elf dudes.

the something or other... is there scenarios? or is it all about the orvr?

eatmosushi on