As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're welcome!

Wildcat on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In regards to all that Mystique bullshit, couldn't she change her mass for a while circa the release of the first X-Men movie? I thought I read she got "powered up" so she'd look like she did in the movie.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think Punisher MAX exists in a sort-of-canon world. I think
    Microchip in the 616 universe has been brought back somehow by the Hood.

actually micro died in 616. a shield agent killed him after micro attempted to replace frank with a different punisher. that's presumably the micro brought back by the hood.

the micro in the MAX series was killed by frank himself and remains dead. also, MAX isn't in 616 continuity, though nick fury does make a couple significant appearances in the course of the book.

Although in the MAX series Frank thought that Micro was already dead for some unexplained reason. Perhaps killed by a sheild agent.

There' no point trying to fit the two continuities together, but there was a nice nod to it in one of those profile books Marvel does occaisionally (I think it was the Civil War one) where it says something along the lines of "it's as if Frank Castle lives in two worlds, slipping between them at will. One where he is routinely opposed by costumed superheroes and another where he is free to act against the criminal underworld as he wishes". It was kinda funny.

Apprehending Frank is pretty futile. He just ends up killing everyone in prison and breaking out. Due to their moral codes, the heroes are essentially powerless to stop him.

that line in "the end" is a pretty good example of that. the judge forced the prison officials to move frank to solitary permanantly because it eventually got to be like "throwing meat to tiger".

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    In regards to all that Mystique bullshit, couldn't she change her mass for a while circa the release of the first X-Men movie? I thought I read she got "powered up" so she'd look like she did in the movie.

Movie Mystique couldn't change her mass either, and comic Mystique kept that look for all of like half an issue before they realized it was retarded.

Scooter on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are comics delayed this week?

Lucascraft on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ah fuck

Rans on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is that a yes?

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2009
    diamond's website says "In Shops Thursday 5/28/2009" so i guess so!

Rans on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Memorial Day was this Monday.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cyclops' optic blasts come from a laser universe

it is a universe made of lasers

his eyes are portals to it

this is why you never explain the science of how comic book characters work

This is possibly the best thing I have ever read.

Although technically, since his eyes fire concussive beams and not lasers, it is a UNIVERSE OF PUNCHES.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited May 2009
    the spaces between wolverine's knuckles are actually portals to a claw dimension, a dimension comprised entirely of snickting claws

retcon please

Rans on
    edited May 2009
    surely since his claws are actually made of bone, it would be the bone dimension

unexpectedly popular with tourists

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there a way to "Find the nearest comic book store near you!", so to speak? I'm curious whether or not there is one closer than the one I go to.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So many near where I am.

Where I'll be moving to school, the nearest one is 30 miles away.

:(

HadjiQuest on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This might be the time to give a shot at heavyink.com. Mask uses it and I use it, and I'm pretty happy with it (aside from waiting a week or so for comics).

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I used to read comics, back when I was about 9-13. I'm now 26, and wanting to get back into, most probably because of the recent comic book movies that haven't totally sucked. (Hulk, Iron Man, Batmans, Spider Mans, Xmens etc)

Back in the day my favorite three characters bar none were, Venom, Hulk, and Nightcrawler.

I've done a tiny bit of research, and see that Hulk is now red, or at least there is a different Hulk, who's now red, and seems to like to talk. I don't really like hulk being all articulate and shit. :\

Venom seems to have dropped off the face of the world, except in the Thunderbolts I think it is, which is a super hero team made up of super villains, with a few heroes? What? Is it any good? Any other venom play I should be looking for.

I'm sure Nightcrawlers pretty much irrelevent at this point.

Also, I much prefer finding graphic novels to read over comics at this point. I browsed in a local comic shop the other day and there were lots and lots of various Hulk graphics, most of them had red hulk in it though :\ And as far as marvel went, most of the others were Civil War. Wondering if that's something worth checking out.

Also completely random question have Magneto and Dr Doom ever met up in a hostile manner? I've always wondered how the FF archnemesis would fair against X-Mens archnemesis.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited May 2009
    EWom wrote: »
    Venom seems to have dropped off the face of the world, except in the Thunderbolts I think it is, which is a super hero team made up of super villains, with a few heroes? What? Is it any good? Any other venom play I should be looking for.
    Venom is actually now off the Thunderbolts and is instead, along with other former Thunderbolts, masquerading as Spider-Man in a villainous version of the Avengers. This is in the book Dark Avengers and also in the upcoming mini-series Sinister Spider-Man.

Edit: oh, and Venom has a different host now.

Wildcat on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Magneto and Doom faced off in the recently finished Masters of Evil mini, but that was only semi-canon.

Fencingsax on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    They had a confrontation ages ago in an X-Men annual, but it was mainly an excuse to run through each other's origin stories. No clear victor emerged, and I'd imagine Marvel would be careful about keeping it that way.

Bogart on
    edited May 2009
    Have we ever seen a Lantern ring being destroyed?

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lady Styx chewed some up in 52.

Munch on
    edited May 2009
    Ah, I really must figure out where I put my TPBs. Thanks.

Wildcat on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EWom wrote: »
    So I used to read comics, back when I was about 9-13. I'm now 26, and wanting to get back into, most probably because of the recent comic book movies that haven't totally sucked. (Hulk, Iron Man, Batmans, Spider Mans, Xmens etc)

Back in the day my favorite three characters bar none were, Venom, Hulk, and Nightcrawler.

I've done a tiny bit of research, and see that Hulk is now red, or at least there is a different Hulk, who's now red, and seems to like to talk. I don't really like hulk being all articulate and shit. :\

I'm sure Nightcrawlers pretty much irrelevent at this point.

Also, I much prefer finding graphic novels to read over comics at this point. I browsed in a local comic shop the other day and there were lots and lots of various Hulk graphics, most of them had red hulk in it though :\ And as far as marvel went, most of the others were Civil War. Wondering if that's something worth checking out.

Also completely random question have Magneto and Dr Doom ever met up in a hostile manner? I've always wondered how the FF archnemesis would fair against X-Mens archnemesis.

For Hulk, I would suggest picking up the Planet Hulk trade to start. It's really good. Red Hulk is a seperate character, a villain.

As for Venom, the current owner of the suit is Mac Gargan, AKA The Scorpion. He was made part of Norman Osborn's Thunderbolts. Eventually Norman ended up in a Nick Fury-like position of power, and he leads his own team of Avengers. Venom is on this team, going by the name of Spider-Man. If you want to start reading this stuff, I would begin with the Tunderbolts: Faith in Monsters and Thunderbolts: Caged Angels trades.

LockedOnTarget on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Lady Styx chewed some up in 52.

See, I'm relatively okay with that (in that, like all things, the rings aren't omnipotent so they must be able to be destroyed somehow), because it must be significantly harder to destroy the ring than to just cut through the flesh of the hand.

mattharvest on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I just finished reading the "War of the Symbiotes" TBP for Ultimate Spiderman. It ended with a "Next: Ultimatum!" message.

That's a mini series, right? Do I have to read that next, or can I just nab the next USM TBP?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    just nab the next USM.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »

Parralax destroyed Jack Chance's in SCW, and the Orange Lanterns appear to eat the rings of people they kill.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »

Parralax destroyed Jack Chance's in SCW, and the Orange Lanterns appear to eat the rings of people they kill.

Well, they consume them. We don't know for sure whether that destroys them.

Frankly, it makes total sense for them to be destructible, since they're just machines.

mattharvest on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was browsing my local Borders book store and I saw the first tpb for John's Teen Titans at only 10 BUCKS so I picked it up without hesitation. And you can imagine my joy when I found out the next 3 volumes are the same price, including vol. 4 which has 10 issues total. Could anyone let me know when Teen Titans supposedly goes down hill quick? Is it during volume 8 which is McKeevers first arc?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2009
    After Titans East, really. I think it was around TT #40-ish, I think?

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought everything after Titans Tomorrow was pretty weak, and the book only got worse from there. The Outsiders crossover is okay, but it's not much of an interesting story, the Infinite Crisis tie-in TPB is virtually unreadable, and Titans Around the World and Titans East are plagued by pretty weak art, and a bunch of uninteresting plots that were less stories, and more Geoff Johns trying to explain shit like Batgirl turning evil, who some of the lame Titans from 52 were, and what happened to the Titans that got butchered in Infinite Crisis.

I think the only noteworthy thing to happen to the book after Infinite Crisis was the addition of Miss Martian, whose potential was promptly wasted by McKeever.

Munch on
    edited May 2009
    OK so volume 6 then. Volumes 5-7 are 15 each so not too bad a price jump.

Edit: And according to Munch I should avoid volume 5 like the plague. I can avoid the Infinite Crisis stuff and not be too overwhelmed during volume 6 which is the OYL arc?

wirehead26 on
    edited May 2009
    I was wondering if they would put the TT Infinite Crisis tie-ins in a trade, as it was a mess. The second Brother Blood arc was pointless, and there was that whole shushed incident with Wonder Girl and Superboy doing it but they were only 15 or 16 (which DC probably upped their age after that just to get out of that pickle).

TexiKen on
    edited May 2009
    Volume 5 contains issues 29-33, the annual, and weirdly Robin 146 and 147. Volume 6 involves the Doom Patrol and formation of Titans East, and Volume 7 is the full "Titans East" story. So to be honest I could just skip all these and save the money and only get volumes 2-4 for only 10 bucks a pop.

wirehead26 on
    edited May 2009
    I liked what is in volume 6, to be honest. The TT roster at that time had the right balance of new and old, and the Doom Patrol arc wasn't bad.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2009
    Holy Shit, Rob Liefeld drew two issues of the current Titans book? And they were written by Gail Simone? I'm stealing this joke from Scans_Daily but I guess that would be the equivelent of getting a blowjob and being punched in the face at the same time.

wirehead26 on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it was two parter arc about the new Hawk & Dove. Forgettable, and Wonder Girl had booooobs.

If you go through old Newsarama, there was an article there about this with a Liefield interview and artwork, and people were putting it in MS paint and drawing on it to point out all the flaws in the poses. There were so many for just two or three pages, I had a good long laugh with that.

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hey

rob liefield was in a jeans commercial

has your favorite artist ever been in one?

I think not

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Mark Bagley was in the Army. Instead of drawing someone with big guns the dude was using big guns. He also worked for Lockheed Martin designing all kinds of weapons that would fuck Rob Liefield up.

The lesson? Don't mess with Bagley.

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.