As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How is that even food?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Someone actually ordered one of those?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    And from Dominoes:
    i2dw5nf19nxj4myhkg4RB6nao1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1243825646&Signature=6dpFig4NBURhHTcEFjPGNiYeIEU%3D

Is that... real? What the fuck is it supposed to be? It looks like an Italian vomited on a wooden frisbee.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's one of those pasta bread bowls I've seen advertised recently. Basically it's the latest in-human creation by Dominos.

I have absolutely no idea how somebody came up with the idea of stuffing bread full of pasta. Seems like a carbohydrate overload.

EDIT: They're supposed to look all nummy and tasty as advertised: http://www.dominos.com/home/index.jsp

I guess they neglected to consider that the delivery boy would fuck up their little soup bowl on the way.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But they don't even look good in the advertisements. It still looks like a crusty bowl of vomit. What would possess a human to eat such a thing?

TheStig on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    But they don't even look good in the advertisements. It still looks like a crusty bowl of vomit. What would possess a human to eat such a thing?

Bread bowls are a popular way of serving soup in some areas.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

People used to use them a lot. They were called 'trenchers'. That's why 'trencherman' means someone who likes to eat a lot.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

The problem with eating a pasta bowl from Domino's is mostly that you're eating a pasta bowl from fucking Domino's.

Rust on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

My wife goes nuts for french onion soup in a bread bowl.

But Dominoes is fucking poison.

Drake on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Soup in a bread bowl is great. As is chili or stew.

Pasta =/= soup.

That Dominoes site crashes my browser, but I can imagine what it's supposed to look like.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Soup in bread is awesome, they were made for each other. Bread(pasta) inside bread is kinda pointless then smothering it all in nasty dominos cheese(?) sauce is just disgusting.

TheStig on
  • Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    lobster bisque in a bread bowl is fantastic.

Domino's from a breadbowl is a pasta toilet.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, a quick google search of worst food ever, #1 listed is....

A form of egg...an incredibly odd form of egg anyway
    duckfetus1.jpg

The Philippines

What the hell is it?
    Behold, for our journey of horror reaches its destination. Balut are duck eggs that have been incubated until the fetus is all feathery and beaky, and then boiled alive. The bones give the eggs a uniquely crunchy texture.
    They are enjoyed in Cambodia, Philippines and the fifth and seventh levels of hell. They are typically sold by street vendors at night, out of buckets of warm sand. You can spot the vendors because of their glowing red eyes, and the faint, otherworldly sound of children screaming.

Wait, it gets worse ...
    ... Because you're never going to look at an egg the same way. Tell yourself that every time you crack open an egg from now on you won't be half expecting a leathery wad of bird to come flopping out into the skillet.

Yes, balut is upsetting on about a half-dozen levels. Sure, all meat eaters know on some level that the delicious chop on your plate used to belong to something cute and fluffy, which gambolled in the sun during the brief spring of its life. Most of the time, it' perfectly possible not to give a shit. But, when you're biting into something that hasn't even had a chance to see its mother' face ... well, it' different.

Here is the article to review a total of six equally disgusting and morally disturbing foods you can try to consume

http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I once saw a man eat an egg like that during an office birthday party. He offered me a sample, but i was too disgusted to accept. I wish I had tried it.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I heard balut is actually not that bad, you just have to eat it whole. I would try it since I have already eaten the before and after, you may as well try the in between.
    Anyway, I think the dominos menu is far worse than anything on that list. At least everything on it is somewhat healthy.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I heard balut is actually not that bad, you just have to eat it whole. I would try it since I have already eaten the before and after, you may as well try the in between.
    Anyway, I think the dominos menu is far worse than anything on that list. At least everything on it is somewhat healthy.

Healthy..perhaps. The egg is not so scary, but the lamb face would freak me out a bit.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I can't tell which one looks worse, the balut or the dominoes pasta bowl.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I heard there is a culture where the members basically pull blood and milk from the same cow and drink the resulting mixture. I wish I could remember the name, because that sounds fascinating as hell.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »

The pasta bowl.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

The pasta bowl.

The balut disturbs me on a deep, subconscious level that I don't think I could ever overcome. The Domino's bowl disturbs me on every level my mind has.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The balut's just a duck. The pasta bowl is something unnatural and evil.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I feel compelled to sample the pasta bowl for the sake of science.

I'm like the dwarves of Moria or that one professor in any H.P. Lovecraft novel. I delve too deep.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I heard there is a culture where the members basically pull blood and milk from the same cow and drink the resulting mixture. I wish I could remember the name, because that sounds fascinating as hell.

the Masai do that.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I'm like the dwarves of Moria or that one professor in any H.P. Lovecraft novel. I delve too deep.

Think of your mind. YOUR MIND.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »

Think of your mind. YOUR MIND.

I must know... what happens next.
    poshniallo wrote: »

the Masai do that.

Thank you. :)

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It should be noted, however, that most people clean and carve their ducks instead of devouring them whole.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I would love to try the balut and the escamoles - the other items in that list I can live without though.

For Balut though, I probably will have to eat it with my eyes closed.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    johnny_automatic_baby_duck.png

Yummy

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

It should be noted, however, that most people clean and carve their ducks instead of devouring them whole.

Does it count if the duck hasn't been born yet? I mean, it hasn't eaten anything so it's not like it's full of poo and pee. Just rich nutrients and proteins.

Drake on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I bet it's just their exact same pizza toppings, with a few pasta noodles added. That's the impression I get looking at it.

Sam on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I bet it's just their exact same pizza toppings, with a few pasta noodles added. That's the impression I get looking at it.

Sam on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

They also wait until they're fully developed and hatched, as opposed to eating half-finished duck fetus, bones and all.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, for fuck's sake, what the hell is your problem with pasta and bread?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

You should probably watch the commercials for this particular pasta before you pass judgment.

Rust on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, I know filipino dudes who've lived in the Philippines who won't touch balut, so I'm just going to wave my white boy pass and walk right past that eggy monstrosity. Balut is the kind of cuisine you come up when no one has any food left, kinda like fried fish eyes.

desc on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rust wrote: »

You should probably watch the commercials for this particular pasta before you pass judgment.

I've seen them. It's still just pasta and damn bread.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I would just feel like an idiot for calling a pizza place and not getting pizza.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel like big enough of an idiot for getting conned into eating Dominoes, now they want me to eat their terrible, terrible pasta monstrosities? No thanks.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've always wanted to try balut. That and durian fruit.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

The pasta bowl.

OK here's a comparison - The Australian version of a Domino's ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoIl8OaThxg

And the American version of the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YeTO1cFQOs&feature=related

The first one actually looks like it's attempting to be appetizing.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Plus it also tries to make the cooking process look awesome. It's all "We got some shrimp, we got some onions and spinach and now we're gonna RAWGH THROW 'EM AT EACH OTHER and then here coMES THE SAUCE!!! KERSPASH!!!! Annnnnnd presto."

I found this video review for the American pasta bowls. Unsurprisingly, they are salty and the best one isn't so much a pasta dish as it is a modified pizza topping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIaovQr3dl0

They have videos showing how the bowls are made on Youtube also. This is not a bowl. It's a tiny pizza that's sides puff up to give the illusion of a bowl. The pasta mixture is basically lobbed into the center of the dough before being put into the oven. Fast-forward to 1:00 in this movie to see how they're made. Be sure to stick around for the copious amount of garlic and butter power dusted onto the sides and the awesome rip it, tear it, dump on it demo from the reporter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSjWVQaDe8o

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png